gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:27:29 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Today's Mainstream Music Redux  (Read 11843 times)
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2014, 11:16:09 PM »

As it's partly my fault for derailing this thread, I'll get it back on track. Please take this as my apology.
Here are some of my favorites from these past years:

"John Wayne Gacy, Jr." by Sufjan Stevens
I find the song to be quite beautiful, but others find it quite creepy. I suppose that's a valid point, as it's a song about a horrendous murderer.. but whatcha gonna do.
Anyway, I love the shifts in the song. The song builds to these frantic peaks and then drops back down into quiet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otx49Ko3fxw

"Get Lost" by Tom Waits
A highly catchy number with a 50's rockabilly vibe going on. Plus Tom Waits voice, which is always great. A nice, throwback-ish guitar solo from his great guitarist Mark Ribot. Keith Richards even makes a few appearances on the album this song hails from, which isn't too surprising as they've been friends since the 80's and Tom was even a special guest for one of the Rolling Stones recent shows in Oakland.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_oxz4T9Sgs

"Kinski Assassin" by Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti
A good song from one of music's biggest weirdos. The song starts off with a really cool organ riff and then lands in Ariel's odd singing. This odd singing is also matched with his completely unexplainable lyrics about jacuzzis, Battleship, and even throwing in a "talk to your moms" for good measure. It was hard to pick only one song, so, if you enjoy this, search out his other stuff. Namely "Symphony of the Nymph" which has what may be my favorite lyric of all time ("I don't mean to burn any bridges, but I can't get enough of these bitches"), "Schnitzel Boogie," which is the "Hey Jude" of schnitzel, and "Baby," which is a startlingly good soul song (not sung by Ariel).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCd0Wzrxeyc

"Life's a Beach" by Django Django
A song with a great riff, nice harmonies, cool bass line, great sounding instruments, and it's all matched with lyrics that are great fun to sing along with. Also, has a really interesting middle eight that sorta comes outta nowhere with some cool organ.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ji6YlKFJ8k

"Music to Walk Home By" by Tame Impala
A very accurate title. On an album filled with great songs, this one seems to get over looked to me. I've always thought it was really great. Their music is sort of hard to describe, but they really harken back to the days of 1967 with their music. If that's your kinda thing (and you don't already know about them because you probably do), then they are a good band to check out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4Kb8wF_EFU

"The Equestrian Vortex" by Broadcast
This comes from the soundtrack to a really interesting movie called Berberian Sound Studios that, if you like strange movies, you should check out. The soundtrack is filled with some really original music and is also quite eerie. This one's probably my favorite (as it's the closest to a real song they get). I love the organ jamming and the way the drums swing back and forth from the left to the right channel (headphones probably needed). Really cool, unique stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7zIfUwwoQ0

"Young Hearts" by Maston
Alright, this is a newcomer that I genuinely like, but perhaps that's because he loves Harry Nilsson, Van Dyke Parks, and Brian Wilson (and it shows). He makes some really finely-tuned pop songs that have really great arrangements and singing. He also plays all the instruments on his album (except the harp), of which he is self-taught, and it all works together so well. Not to mention his fucking cool mustache.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM0_DkbiDjU

Oh, yeah, here's another one: "Ballad of Little Jane" by Jacco Gardner
Everyone drools over this guy as the next Zombies or whatever and that's a load of crap. His album is practically the same song over and over again - and it's not a Ramones situation where it's at least a good song. It's boring. Nevertheless, there is this one good song hidden at the end of his album that is quite different from his other stuff in its tone. The chorus is also really good on this song, too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zo_xPnHmkog

Nice list Bubbly but not sure you could consider any/much of that mainstream?

But it should be mainstream!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2014, 06:48:40 PM »

maston is a pastiche artist. not a fan. would rather stick to the classics than listen to a mimic

that's the only problem with the overabundance of music... there are so many gimmick artists around because everyone feels the need to occupy a niche rather than do something wholly original or serious. i just can't take someone seriously who admits to trying to replicate the beach boys.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 06:49:52 PM by Gabo » Logged
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2014, 07:15:43 PM »

maston is a pastiche artist. not a fan. would rather stick to the classics than listen to a mimic

that's the only problem with the overabundance of music... there are so many gimmick artists around because everyone feels the need to occupy a niche rather than do something wholly original or serious. i just can't take someone seriously who admits to trying to replicate the beach boys.

I pretty much disagree with all of this.

To say that, just because someone makes a similar sound, that they are a mimic is an incredible oversimplification. So what if someone sounds like someone else? It's called a "genre" - big deal. Just because a genre is from an older time means no one should be able to touch it anymore? It's just supposed to languish in time? That's ridiculous. If someone likes that music, then by no means should they being ridiculed for doing something they love - especially if it's good.

Music doesn't always need to be moving forward - sometimes it can stretch out in its own space. New music doesn't just spring out of nowhere, it grows from somewhere else. Even a true original like Captain Beefheart had made music that was rooted in the blues, but bent and twisted it. The Velvet Underground incorporated the avant-garde music that John Cale had been making as part of La Monte Young's group and slapped it onto Lou's songs.

Without looking back, we don't have a forward. With your logic, we should abandon folk music (that's like, so over), rock & roll (should have stayed in the fifties), psychedelia (it's for the baby boomers), rock (it had it's time like 40 years ago), blues music (Muddy Waters is dead, guys), pop music (lol pop music), jazz (this isn't the twenties anymore), and any other genre that an old person had their fingers on. Pack up your stuff everyone, Gabo says it's over.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 08:08:14 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2014, 05:20:25 PM »

« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 07:21:02 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2014, 05:24:24 PM »

« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 07:21:16 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2014, 05:33:42 PM »

« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 07:21:34 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2014, 05:38:50 PM »

« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 07:21:54 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
bluesno1fann
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2014, 06:31:57 PM »

I pretty much disagree with all of this.

To say that, just because someone makes a similar sound, that they are a mimic is an incredible oversimplification. So what if someone sounds like someone else? It's called a "genre" - big deal. Just because a genre is from an older time means no one should be able to touch it anymore? It's just supposed to languish in time? That's ridiculous. If someone likes that music, then by no means should they being ridiculed for doing something they love - especially if it's good.

Music doesn't always need to be moving forward - sometimes it can stretch out in its own space. New music doesn't just spring out of nowhere, it grows from somewhere else. Even a true original like Captain Beefheart had made music that was rooted in the blues, but bent and twisted it. The Velvet Underground incorporated the avant-garde music that John Cale had been making as part of La Monte Young's group and slapped it onto Lou's songs.

Without looking back, we don't have a forward. With your logic, we should abandon folk music (that's like, so over), rock & roll (should have stayed in the fifties), psychedelia (it's for the baby boomers), rock (it had it's time like 40 years ago), blues music (Muddy Waters is dead, guys), pop music (lol pop music), jazz (this isn't the twenties anymore), and any other genre that an old person had their fingers on. Pack up your stuff everyone, Gabo says it's over.

Bubbly, never have I agreed with you more than I do now! Bravo!
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2014, 01:51:29 PM »

I'm just going to leave this here for everyone to enjoy.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2014, 10:27:54 PM »

I think we should all turn this thread into a "Modern Music that's great" thread instead of a complaining about modern music thread. 

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2014, 11:09:19 PM »

... RIGHT after I complain a little bit.  I posted this video in the other thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ1gpwJbNpI

That's 1964, Lesley Gore performing "Maybe I know" live.  There's a simple band, a great rock & roll drummer, and a 17 year old girl singing competently.  I wish the f*** they still made music like this, it's 1.5 minutes of pure bliss.  They ought to lock up anybody who wants to be a female pop singer in a room and make her watch this video 100 times before she starts.   Her day.

Lesley's about 67 now.  She still sings great.  She ought to sign up for American Idol next year and show everybody how to put it down...
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 11:12:11 PM by Ron » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2014, 11:56:08 PM »

« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 07:13:23 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2014, 12:05:44 AM »

Hey at least she went out in a good mood...  better than lying in a hospital bed!
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2014, 03:13:43 AM »

... RIGHT after I complain a little bit.  I posted this video in the other thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ1gpwJbNpI

That's 1964, Lesley Gore performing "Maybe I know" live.  There's a simple band, a great rock & roll drummer, and a 17 year old girl singing competently.  I wish the f*** they still made music like this, it's 1.5 minutes of pure bliss.  They ought to lock up anybody who wants to be a female pop singer in a room and make her watch this video 100 times before she starts.   Her day.

Lesley's about 67 now.  She still sings great.  She ought to sign up for American Idol next year and show everybody how to put it down...

Just yesterday I watched the whole T.A.M.I show on YouTube and was impressed, not having heard any of her stuff before.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2014, 03:51:09 AM »

« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 09:48:46 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2014, 03:52:07 AM »

« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 09:43:12 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2014, 03:57:45 AM »

« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 09:43:30 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2014, 04:16:44 AM »

OVI needs The Golden Hits OF Lesley Gore.  police

You may be right about this one, mate.
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2014, 01:59:33 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjwvrYEJKTs

the other day I stumbled across this

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2014, 10:15:09 PM »

I don't get to listen to much mainstream pop. The only mainstream music I hear anymore is country. Most of it makes me want to vomit.  It's so formulaic.  A lot of it sounds the same. I don't see why people like it. I really hope it's ignorance on their part.
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2014, 12:20:24 AM »

I don't get to listen to much mainstream pop. The only mainstream music I hear anymore is country. Most of it makes me want to vomit.  It's so formulaic.  A lot of it sounds the same. I don't see why people like it. I really hope it's ignorance on their part.

I know a lot of people who feel that way about rap too  Undecided

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2014, 10:21:41 AM »

It could just as easily be ignorance on your part. The "sounds the same" argument, as is the case with its visual equivalent, seems most common among people not especially familiar. The more into something one is, the more obvious the differences become.

I hope you understand I'm not attacking you, just using your post to make a point. And of course there are examples of truly uncreative works that do sound the same. Mostly I must saying it's a big world with a lot of great stuff to like, yet it's no big deal where we differ on it.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2014, 08:08:44 PM »

this is from 2012:
http://danfromsquirrelhill.wordpress.com/2012/07/29/scientific-study-proves-that-todays-pop-music-really-does-suck/

-Dennis Wilson
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2014, 10:21:49 AM »

The "loudness war" is a long-established and bemoaned factor. As for the blandness, I'd want more detail as to the methodology, specifically as to song selection. If it's pop-chart hits, I'm not surprised, because entities chasing commercial success work on proven models. By definition, that's limiting.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2014, 10:54:35 AM »

Today's mainstream music does indeed suck. None of the greatest songs written today even make the charts. It's all very same-y.  What modern pop audiences want to hear are very obvious hooks and dubstep arrangements. It's as banal as you can get.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 11:00:04 AM by Gabo » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx