gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 11:08:35 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1964, the Beatles and the Beach Boys  (Read 4652 times)
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« on: April 02, 2014, 05:56:31 PM »

one thing I don't understand is that well...obviously 1964 was a big year for the Beatles, but it was a big year for the Beach Boys too.  so how come there's  full length footage of the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show, interviews etc, and not the Beach Boys during this year in particular and they were supposed to be the most successful band in America (they even have a dvd out with all four full length episodes of the Beatles on Ed Sullivan now)?   I've seen a couple of pictures of them standing next to Ed but no video.  is there any chance that it'll resurface?  or is there more footage from that year that the public just hasn't seen since yet? (the Ida B Blackburn interview gives me hope)

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 06:03:41 PM »

I would imagine the reason you see more of the Beatles from this year is because of one simple rule:

If you release it, they will buy it.

The Beach Boys don't really have as big and rabid a fan base and releasing archival stuff is a riskier move.
The Hawthorne, CA album, for example.
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 06:06:12 PM »

I would imagine the reason you see more of the Beatles from this year is because of one simple rule:

The Beach Boys don't really have as big and rabid a fan base and releasing archival stuff is a riskier move.

wow that really sucks  Sad  I wish that those kind of videos would at least surface on Youtube or something.

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 06:21:50 PM »

Does anyone know if Ed actually interviewed the BBs either in '64 or '68 or was their interaction limited to Ed's intros?

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 06:31:21 PM »

Does anyone know if Ed actually interviewed the BBs either in '64 or '68 or was their interaction limited to Ed's intros?

that's what I was wondering because I've seen pictures of them standing around Ed probably after their performance. 

-Dennis Wilson
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 06:39:07 PM »

This is why they need to release a Video collection with as many tv performances and  music videos as possible from the 60's until TWGMTR to release for the fans.. maybe a two disc set..
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 06:43:11 PM »

You're probably referring to the physical copy, but....

It wouldn't be such a risky move if they didn't charge $27.99 for the mp3 album....considering half the tracks are 10 second snippets from interviews, that's a rather steep price for a non-physical copy.

Releasing archival material isn't risky if you know how to do it. Look at The Smile Sessions: marketed perfectly, had a price drop the second it went on Amazon (helping push it into the top 10 boxsets list on Amazon - and in the top 25 of the rocknroll list, if I'm not mistaken), and it was perfectly priced for what you got. From what I gather it sold very well.

There are thousands of us Beach Boy fans out there who will buy anything - just make the price reasonable and market it right and we will buy it. I hope the marketers don't forget that a lot of us fans are still working Joes with bills to pay...sometimes we can't afford these sets (some here still don't have MiC - if I didn't get it as a gift I wouldn't have it either).

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 06:48:13 PM »

I like seeing clips of them in the recording studio too.  it was a great surprise to see the Good Vibrations session at the 50th anniversary concert  Grin.

-Dennis Wilson
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 06:53:15 PM »

If they made a CD of only alternate takes of This Whole World, I would buy it. As long as we're getting new things I'm happy. Big Beat, for example, was really neat. Cheap, released without any fuss, and was mostly unheard stuff.  Thumbs Up

joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 08:00:44 PM »

I like seeing clips of them in the recording studio too.  it was a great surprise to see the Good Vibrations session at the 50th anniversary concert  Grin.
yes those should be on a dvd set along with the rest..
bluesno1fann
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 09:21:18 PM »

Yeah, I'd love to see a DVD/Blu-Ray release of all the Beach Boy's major TV appearences from 1962 to 1969 or later. In colour, remastered and uncut!

Oh and a reasonable price as well  Grin
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2014, 10:30:13 PM »

Here's why such a project will almost certainly never come to pass, in one word:

licensing.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2014, 11:01:29 PM »

Here's why such a project will almost certainly never come to pass, in one word:

licensing.

Sucks, but totally true. I'm mighty thankful for Youtube.

Somehow they were able to finally finagle an infamous music licensing compromise for The Wonder Years, but was an immense struggle - plus there's probably more money to be made in pricey DVD complete series collector's box sets, as opposed to what would amount to (probably) a 2-DVD BB set at most.

I hope I'm wrong though.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2014, 11:06:57 PM »

licensing.

That's a shame, but it's understandable.

Maybe just a DVD with the complete Ed Sullivan Shows with the Beach Boys uncut, remastered and in colour?
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2014, 11:39:03 PM »

There's always …

“We live in divisive times.”
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2014, 02:32:47 AM »

Hawthorne CA was a disaster of design. Even for a fan it was strangely put together, yet tried to fulfill some chronological mission. Most of the tracks were already available however and the few live tracks were spread around, even when it is generally accepted that longer concert snippets are more attractive (bar Beach Boys live 50 huehue)
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2014, 08:34:10 AM »

I would imagine Europe would have a bunch of clips from them in 1964 (since they seemed to be even bigger over there), that Paris interview being one of them.  I remember awhile ago there was a radio interview clip where the interviewer asked Dennis if he had Beatle hair "No, I don't have Beatle hair, it's my own hair..."  LOL  I've been trying to find that for a long time even though it was too short for my liking.

-Dennis Wilson
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2014, 11:03:00 AM »

I would imagine Europe would have a bunch of clips from them in 1964 (since they seemed to be even bigger over there), that Paris interview being one of them.  I remember awhile ago there was a radio interview clip where the interviewer asked Dennis if he had Beatle hair "No, I don't have Beatle hair, it's my own hair..."  LOL  I've been trying to find that for a long time even though it was too short for my liking.
Bigger in Europe in 1964 than in the US? No. Not even close. That really didn't happen until '66 and beyond.
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2014, 11:44:16 AM »

Bigger in Europe in 1964 than in the US? No. Not even close. That really didn't happen until '66 and beyond.

O I thought it kicked off in 1964, I knew they were big there by '66. 

-Dennis Wilson
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2014, 06:24:40 PM »

hey does anyone remember the acapella clip of them singing friends? they were all dressed in white (mike had a hat on I think) and they were sitting around a table.  Does anyone know where that's from?  on the Mike Douglas show before Dennis sings Never Learn Not To Love he mentions an acapella number.  Could it be from that show or somewhere else?

-Dennis Wilson
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2014, 09:00:19 PM »

hey does anyone remember the acapella clip of them singing friends? they were all dressed in white (mike had a hat on I think) and they were sitting around a table.  Does anyone know where that's from?  on the Mike Douglas show before Dennis sings Never Learn Not To Love he mentions an acapella number.  Could it be from that show or somewhere else?

AFAIK, the show on which they sang a portion of "Friends" acapella remains unidentified. I doubt that it was the Douglas show as they wore casual clothes for that performance as opposed to the white suits for "Friends." Perhaps the acapella number referred to was "...Hearts..." as they sang it quite often during 1968.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2014, 10:39:14 PM »

This is why they need to release a Video collection with as many tv performances and  music videos as possible from the 60's until TWGMTR to release for the fans.. maybe a two disc set..

The Ramones did a set like that and it's awesome.  I would love to see something like that for the Beach Boys.  Or the Beach Boys can release some full length concert films with Eagle Rock a la The Who and the Stones.

retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2014, 10:11:16 AM »

AFAIK, the show on which they sang a portion of "Friends" acapella remains unidentified. I doubt that it was the Douglas show as they wore casual clothes for that performance as opposed to the white suits for "Friends." Perhaps the acapella number referred to was "...Hearts..." as they sang it quite often during 1968.

o ok thanks.  so I wonder what ever happened to "...Hearts..." from that show?  it would be really nice to see it.

-Dennis Wilson
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2014, 03:14:21 PM »

o ok thanks.  so I wonder what ever happened to "...Hearts..." from that show?  it would be really nice to see it.

Perhaps they just ran out of time as Mike Douglas indicated during his brief interview with the band that the show was in "an awful time bind."

retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2014, 12:47:48 PM »

Perhaps they just ran out of time as Mike Douglas indicated during his brief interview with the band that the show was in "an awful time bind."

aww  Sad that sucks, at least Mike invited them back to the show more than once.  they have a short clip of them singing Cool Cool Water in high quality, but I wish they would release that and Wouldn't it Be Nice in the same high quality

-Dennis Wilson
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx