gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 05:30:10 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Does the beginning of this Oreo ad song sound like a certain song on Friends...?  (Read 7376 times)
Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2014, 06:10:33 PM »

Weird.....I was hearing Wake The World....but it could be Busy Doin' Nothin'.....God, I need to get a life  Cry
I thought they were hearing Wake The World for a little while too. I don't really think it sounds too much like Busy Doin' Nothing too much really.
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2014, 07:42:20 PM »

Could pick it after two seconds. I'm unsure if the performers (Tegan and Sara) wrote the jingle, but I know they're at the least casual fans of the band.

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
bluesno1fann
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2014, 09:46:24 PM »

It only slightly resembles Busy Doin' Nothin'. But for the most part, I agree with AGD
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2014, 09:53:59 PM »

The first six seconds of the jingle sounds like a direct lift from BDN. The rest, no.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2014, 10:03:08 PM »

I heard this on tv about a week ago, and instantly thought that it sounded like Busy Doin' Nothin'. I wasn't even in the same room, and it still caught my attention.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2014, 10:52:19 PM »

It sounds vaguely similar, but I certainly would never have made any connection had someone not pointed it out...

And it's Tegan and Sara - awful female duo. So I doubt I'll be giving it any more listens.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 10:54:07 PM by Disney Boy (1985) » Logged
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2014, 11:10:43 PM »

It's the exact same melody. Who knows if it's lifted.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2014, 11:19:58 PM »

It's the exact same melody. Who knows if it's lifted.
Exactly!

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2014, 05:31:54 AM »

OK, looks like it's just me then, but seriously, I DO NOT HEAR IT.
It's funny how these things can work, I guess. More than once I read about how you noticed H&V or Shortenin' Bread riffs in certain other BW compositions, and that I just could not hear them... (can't think of which specific songs right now, but it's happened a few times).
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2014, 08:30:34 AM »

The song on the ad was originally by Owl City, but I doubt it's an Owl City song or something like that. It was ten times the dreadful that this version is. One Ben Gibbard was slightly more than enough for the world, we didn't need all these fucking soundalikes.

Should be noted that the rhythm of the original is quite a bit different than this.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 08:33:45 AM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2014, 08:31:11 AM »

It's pretty easy to believe the person who wrote that song is a fan of the "Friends" album

...and it's always a possibility that the jingle writer hadn't heard Friends in a long time and unintentionally lifted that melody line thinking it was something completely original, but it was actually something he pulled out of his subconscious....

I'm sure it happens all the time.  It's happened to me a time or two, but fortunately I catch them before they get published!

So far......

It's also pretty easy to believe that, among the billions of songwriters out there, two people can write a very similar melody without ever having heard the other song prior. I'm sure it happens all the time, really.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 08:34:57 AM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
chrs_mrgn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2014, 10:51:42 AM »

I can vaguely hear the resemblance but I don't think it was intentional.

Especially considering it was the guy from Owl City who wrote that jingle.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2014, 05:03:14 AM »

And we call Beatles fans crazy? This thread is evidence of opposite. The rhythm may be similar, yet it falls short of 2 notes in-between, suddenly starts with the BDN "...lovely place"/"...do it right" pattern. So yep, we're being too obsessive with our BBs fandom here.

Btw, I never heard of this "Oreo" chocolate biscuit, they look very nyam-nyam.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2014, 06:28:41 AM »

And we call Beatles fans crazy? This thread is evidence of opposite. The rhythm may be similar, yet it falls short of 2 notes in-between, suddenly starts with the BDN "...lovely place"/"...do it right" pattern. So yep, we're being too obsessive with our BBs fandom here.
Nobody claimed that it was exactly the same. Somebody noted a similarity and it seems that the majority here (at least kind of) agrees with the original poster. How does that make us all "crazy" or "obsessive"?
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2014, 08:01:39 AM »

Nobody claimed that it was exactly the same. Somebody noted a similarity and it seems that the majority here (at least kind of) agrees with the original poster. How does that make us all "crazy" or "obsessive"?
That phrase was said in jest, actually. I'm as obsessive as the next Smiler & also like analyzing things but come on, making a thread out of noting a similarity with a Friends song which is really not much? Either way, the original poster himself agreed that he's "nuts" when talking with wife, so not a big deal. 

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2014, 10:29:23 AM »

That phrase was said in jest, actually. I'm as obsessive as the next Smiler & also like analyzing things but come on, making a thread out of noting a similarity with a Friends song which is really not much?

This is a Beach Boys forum. Discussing completely unimportant Beach Boys-related issues is what we're supposed to do here.

If I want to discuss serious, important issues, I go somewhere else. If I want to talk about matrix numbers of a Brazilian pressing of a Beach Boys single, Brian Wilson's socks or a vague resemblance between 'Busy Doin' Nothing' and an Oreo jingle, I go here.

But maybe that does make us all a little bit crazy.  Grin
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2014, 01:00:27 AM »

A lot of people are addicted to Oreos and when Brian wrote Busy Doin' Nothing he was addicted to drugs.

A mere coincidence? I think not.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 01:02:15 AM by Swedish Frog » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2014, 09:02:26 PM »

Oreos go great with Redi-Whip!
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2014, 10:51:00 AM »

I definitely hear Busy Doin' Nothing. Part of the vocal arrangement (low, high, low, high notes) , about 15 seconds in, also reminds me of Johnny Carson from Love You, as in:

It's (nice) to (have) you (on) the (show) tonight
I've seen (your) act (in) Vegas out of sight
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 10:56:57 AM by Joel Goldenberg » Logged
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2014, 11:01:00 AM »

Yep, I hear it. 

"Jeff, you care." --BW
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2014, 03:35:55 PM »

I hear BDN too.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2014, 04:42:02 PM »

I hear it in the first few lines

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2014, 11:12:12 PM »

This is a Beach Boys forum. Discussing completely unimportant Beach Boys-related issues is what we're supposed to do here.

If I want to discuss serious, important issues, I go somewhere else. If I want to talk about matrix numbers of a Brazilian pressing of a Beach Boys single, Brian Wilson's socks or a vague resemblance between 'Busy Doin' Nothing' and an Oreo jingle, I go here.

But maybe that does make us all a little bit crazy.  Grin
Once again, I'm not sure what you found insulting about my calling The BBs fans (which I am too, btw) crazy. Yes, this is a place for discussing the BBs, I'm aware of it. But the thing is, I'm not the 1st who jumped on the trivial thread & questioned the point of its creation, and anyway most people agreed on the opinion that it's a coincidence (& right they are!). So we win. [jk]
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 11:14:01 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2014, 11:59:18 AM »

Should do a mashup....

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2014, 12:02:57 PM »

Should do a mashup....
Somebody should photoshop a box of Oreo cookies into this photo to accompany the mash-up:

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx