gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:54:51 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: an alternate timeline where Mike Love is on top of the world...  (Read 3532 times)
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« on: March 28, 2014, 08:40:23 PM »

What if Brian continued to collaborate with Mike Love for Pet Sounds and SMiLE? Would they have still happened? Would they be as good? "I'm Waiting For the Day" shows Mike could handle a Pet Sounds melody ok. The recycling of the SMiLE material throughout the years, from the reworking of some tracks on Smiley and the Wild Honey sessions in particular, shows the potential of what Mike's lyrics for those tracks may have been.

Picture SMiLE with alternate lyrics for H&V, VT, CIFOTM, Cabin Essence, and Wonderful. Imagine the Elements Suite as it was intended (a continuous 4 part instrumental, running about 4 minutes I'd guess, do to Fire's length and the need for balance). Replace Wind Chimes with some finished version of Can't Wait Too Long, He Gives Speeches with She's Goin Bald, Do You Like Worms with some fully formed version of Whistle In...etc, etc.

Could such a thing have made as big of a splash in 1967 as they were hoping? Would it have come out in Spring '67 or January? If January, would it have been too early and ignored at the time? If in Spring, could it have stolen Pepper's thunder?

Furthermore, with the band much more united, is Brian's meltdown as dramatic? Does the band end up playing Monterey and keeping their goodwill?

(Photo courtesy of Judd)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 08:41:19 PM by Mujan » Logged

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 08:44:05 PM »

Do we really need this???

Seriously! Please think about it! With all the Mike-centric fireworks going on here, is this really the best course of action ?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 08:45:04 PM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 08:48:51 PM »

Do we really need this???

Seriously! Please think about it! With all the Mike-centric fireworks going on here, is this really the best course of action ?

Honestly, I'm disappointed. I thought you'd enjoy talking about this as much as anyone.

I didn't mean to stir the pot, it's just something I've been thinking about and wondering what people thought.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
[
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 12:52:10 AM »

"Well, she got her daddy's turnip and she chewed 'til it really looked gnawed now…
Seems she forgot all about the old zucchini that she used to eat raw now,
And with the potato mashing goes souping just as fast as she can now
And she'll have caul-li-flower til her daddy takes the turnip away…"
B. Wilson/M. Love

"Hanging down from my surf board,
Those are my toupees…"
B. Wilson/M. Love

"I'm gonna be round my surfer girl,
I'll go down on my surfer girl,
I love you most of all -
My favourite surfer girl"
B. Wilson/M. Love/D. Wilson

Gosh the possibilities…
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 01:07:21 AM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 01:20:12 AM »

"Well, she got her daddy's turnip and she chewed 'til it really looked gnawed now…
B. Wilson/M. Love

Those are my toupees…"
B. Wilson/M. Love

I love you most of all -

Gosh the possibilities…

OK, fine! This thread gets a thumbs up!  Grin
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 01:23:58 AM »

LOL
B. Wilson/M. Love

Those are my toupees…"
B. Wilson/M. Love

I love you most of all -

Gosh the possibilities…

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell .... well, you're welcome,
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell .... well, you're welcome,
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell .... you're welcome to come.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 01:24:52 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 06:21:17 AM »

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell .... you're welcome to come.

Best post of the last three-and-a-half millennia!

“We live in divisive times.”
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 06:33:21 AM »

Will MLPS premiere at seaworld this year?

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2014, 09:16:00 AM »

"The Old Master Killer Whale"
"Love To Say Orca"
"Mrs O Leary's Fish-tank"
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 09:17:56 AM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2014, 11:13:18 AM »

im a seed of a juicy fruit
I send vibes out of love and truth
how deep is the sunset
how deep will my love get
it fills my soul, hey hey heyyyy

ill meditate so I can live,
these things i'll be so I can live
these things i'll be so I can live
these things i'll be so I can live........ (M.Love)

RickB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2014, 11:19:23 AM »

Isn't It Nice To Live (D. Wilson/M. Love)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2014, 11:22:02 AM »

"The Old Master Killer Whale"
"Love To Say Orca"
"Mrs O Leary's Fish-tank"
roll shamu, roll over.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2014, 11:39:07 AM »

Mike Love Presents: Pet Sounds 2014!

1. Isn't It Nice
2. You've Always Believed In Me
3. That's Me
4. Talk All You Want (With Your Head On My Shoulder)
5. I'm Enjoying The Day
6. Let's Stay Here Forever
7. Sloop Jai Guru Dev
8. Allah Already Knows (How Great I Am With You)
9. Maharishi Knows The Answer
10. I'm Just So With These Times
11. Pet Sounds
12. Caroline, Yes!

BONUS TRACKS

*Trombone Maharishi
* Hang Onto Your Turban
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 12:02:36 PM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2014, 11:50:33 AM »

* Hang Onto Your Turban

♬ ♫ ♪
I know so many people
who think they can fly on their own
they levitate themselves
without Maharishi's code...

♪ ♬ ♫

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2014, 11:54:05 AM »

Let's make this album to pay tribute to Mike's Ella award! Grin

kermit27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2014, 12:41:26 PM »

I would love to hear him sing "I'm Just So With These Times."
BJL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2014, 04:12:50 PM »

It is very much an open question in my mind what role Mike Love played in the composition of the Beach Boys Today. On stylistic grounds, I'm confident that Mike made a major contribution to Kiss Me Baby, and that he contributed relatively little to In the Back of My Mind. But for some of the other songs I think it's hard to say. But there is no doubt in my mind that the same balance of composing could have been applied to Pet Sounds, because Today has a similar level of lyrical sophistication. But Brian needed Tony Asher as more than a lyricist, he was also a friend, someone to hang out with, talk things through with, bounce ideas off of. It was a time-consuming process, and Mike was in Japan with the Beach Boys. Pet Sounds wasn't the kind of thing you could get done in back rooms and cabs between gigs, so for Mike to work on the project, the band would have had to take a break from touring. So it would have meant changes in the Beach Boys methods and course beyond just switching lyricists.

As for Smile, I think it is no diss on Mike Love to say that Mike's talents and interests were fundamentally incompatible with Smile as Brian and conceived it on a fundamental level. Smile with Mike Love lyrics wouldn't have been Smile, it would have had to be something completely different.

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2014, 04:15:58 PM »

It is very much an open question in my mind what role Mike Love played in the composition of the Beach Boys Today. On stylistic grounds, I'm confident that Mike made a major contribution to Kiss Me Baby, and that he contributed relatively little to In the Back of My Mind. But for some of the other songs I think it's hard to say. But there is no doubt in my mind that the same balance of composing could have been applied to Pet Sounds, because Today has a similar level of lyrical sophistication. But Brian needed Tony Asher as more than a lyricist, he was also a friend, someone to hang out with, talk things through with, bounce ideas off of. It was a time-consuming process, and Mike was in Japan with the Beach Boys. Pet Sounds wasn't the kind of thing you could get done in back rooms and cabs between gigs, so for Mike to work on the project, the band would have had to take a break from touring. So it would have meant changes in the Beach Boys methods and course beyond just switching lyricists.

As for Smile, I think it is no diss on Mike Love to say that Mike's talents and interests were fundamentally incompatible with Smile as Brian and conceived it on a fundamental level. Smile with Mike Love lyrics wouldn't have been Smile, it would have had to be something completely different.

Most level headed and logical post on such a topic in ....... forever!

Big thumb's up here.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2014, 12:41:26 AM »

I think Mike was definitely capable of writing lyrics just as good on Pet Sounds. Smile may not have been as out there as Van Dykes, but his lyrics for Good Vibrations shows that he could make poetic and thoughtful lyrics. I don't know what SMiLE would have been but I still believe it would have been an incredible album. Perhaps Heroes and Villains would have been Mike's lyrics about Cowboys and indians that made sense yet still were creative. This is assuming Mike wanted to write these kinds of lyrics. And to BJL's point, perhaps a break from the road in late 66 wouldn't have been a bad idea for the band at the time. Take a few months to develop this master piece with Brian and update their image.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2014, 01:35:20 AM »

I think Mike was definitely capable of writing lyrics just as good on Pet Sounds. Smile may not have been as out there as Van Dykes, but his lyrics for Good Vibrations shows that he could make poetic and thoughtful lyrics. I don't know what SMiLE would have been but I still believe it would have been an incredible album. Perhaps Heroes and Villains would have been Mike's lyrics about Cowboys and indians that made sense yet still were creative. This is assuming Mike wanted to write these kinds of lyrics. And to BJL's point, perhaps a break from the road in late 66 wouldn't have been a bad idea for the band at the time. Take a few months to develop this master piece with Brian and update their image.

Agreed!

Brian was in charge and SMILE would have been whatever it would have been regardless of who penned the lyrics. Brian's music wouldn't have allowed for much traditional lyrical content.... Besides, concerning SMILE's alleged themes: all that was better served on Holland anyhow, so maybe fate played a fair hand after all.

OK, I am running for the hills now Wink
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 01:37:01 AM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2014, 09:27:47 AM »

Mike's 60s wheelhouse was lyrics about (1) the Southern California teenage lifestyle ( "Fun Fun Fun', 'I Get Around' ) and (2) boy/girl romance. He could even go introspective and metaphoric on the romantic stuff ('Warmth of the Sun').

Whatever happened to Mike's introspective, sensitive side in his lyric writing? He would never be able to write VDP-style (panoramic, symbolist) , but Mike writing consistently at the top of his 1965-67 game was capable of Tony Asher-quality stuff. If only Mke had continued to develop that side of his muse, instead of falling back on the formulaic.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2014, 10:35:46 AM »

maybe Mike does have a collection of 'heavy' unreleased lyrics we don't know about...
now wouldn't that be something to speculate on especially after he passes on in this world..??...Huh

maybe Mike just presented what he had to keep the signature group going on for the last 50 years....

who knows what might be in the Mike Love vaults.....

RickB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2014, 06:22:38 PM »

Thank you for offering the first real response. I agree. The more I think about it, Pet Sounds probably didn't need to be an outside collaboration...as long as Brian expressed the desire to go for a different style and Mike didn't object. SMiLE wouldn't have been the mythical masterpiece it is now had Mike written it, but it might still have been a great album. I doubt Surf's Up would've been made at all, I doubt there would be an Americana suite or anything like that. Who knows?

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2014, 06:39:20 PM »

Thank you for offering the first real response. I agree. The more I think about it, Pet Sounds probably didn't need to be an outside collaboration...as long as Brian expressed the desire to go for a different style and Mike didn't object. SMiLE wouldn't have been the mythical masterpiece it is now had Mike written it, but it might still have been a great album. I doubt Surf's Up would've been made at all, I doubt there would be an Americana suite or anything like that. Who knows?

Oh, come on! SMILE would have been great with Mike!!!!

MIKE LOVE PRESENTS: SMILE 2014

1. Our Beach Prayer
2. Surf Heroes And Hodads
3. Do You Like Surfer Girls
5. I'm In Great Shape
6. Barnyard Surf Party
7. The Old Master Surfer
8. Cruisin' Essence
9. Baby You Look Wonderful
10. Locked In (Song For Surfers)
11. Surf's Up (And I'm Heading Out)
12. I Wanna Be Around/Surf shop
13. Surfin Days
14. Wind Chimes
15. The Elements: Girls (Mrs O'Leary's Daughter)
Cars, Surf
16. Love To Say "You're Looking Fine Mama"!
17. Good Vibrations
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 06:47:29 PM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2014, 07:11:02 PM »

I do think that Mike had the potential to write more sensitive lyrics. "Kiss Me, Baby" and "Warmth of the Sun" are among my favorite Beach Boys songs. The question I have is about Brian's perception of Pet Sounds as a very personal expression. It seems to me that he wanted it to reflect personal thoughts about what was going on in his own life, and that requires a certain vulnerability.  

If you're going for something a bit more personal, and you have this strange dysfunctional family relationship with your main lyricist, I could see seeking out someone you might feel safer with. Even someone you don't really know that well, if they share some of your insights,  would be less intimidating than letting your alpha male cousin see your more exposed, vulnerable side. Especially when you're supposed to be the group leader. Add to that the fact that the Boys were on the road most of the time, and I could see how this would evolve the way it did.

With SMiLE, you really have a similar thing. This was to be Brian's creative masterpiece and would once again require putting something of himself on the line.  From personal experience, I know how painful it can be to take that kind of risk and have people who matter doubt the effort. I just wonder if the family dysfunction made it impossible for Brian to feel safe enough to work with Mike as a collaborator on two very personal projects.  

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx