gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:02:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: American Spring  (Read 4578 times)
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: May 04, 2006, 03:58:52 PM »

As this sort of should be regarded as a solo album offshoot sort of thing, I think it should be reviewed as such. Accounts differ to whether this is a real Brian creation or if it was more down to David Sandler, whatever the case it's a wonderful album.
The first thing is the production, it's very layered and textural - sort of cross between Sunflower and Holland, in fact it probably sounds better than Holland, as theres a lot more warmth to it.
Top track is probably 'Sweet Mountain' written by Brian - very dark sounding track complete with all sorts of weird synth textures, sounds like it could be in a David Lynch film - it's brilliant.
'Everybody' sounds great too, in this you can hear the roots of Brians later productions circa Love You and 15 Big Ones - minimal but full sounding.
'This Whole world' again sounds slightly darker than the Beach Boys version (love the 'when girls get mad at boys' section with the staccato piano). It's good to hear Brians backing vocals on the album too - this being my favourite era for his voice.
Altogether one of the most beautiful and weirdest albums to come out of the Beach Boys area but somehow like all Brians best work tinged with a streak of melancholy.

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 04:10:37 PM »

ever heard Micheal Parks' version of Sweet Mountain? I love it!

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Jason
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 04:15:38 PM »

A HUGELY overrated album. Only Sweet Mountain moves me.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 04:22:04 PM »

I enjoy listening to Brian playing Awake at the piano more than the album version...

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 04:24:14 PM »

i agree

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 04:52:38 PM »

I agree too

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
al
Smiley Smile Associate

Home again Home again jiggety jig...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2006, 05:13:00 PM »

But Sweet Mountain is worth the price of admission by itself - one of my very favourite Brian tracks by anyone.

Whatever happened to David Sandler afterwards?
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2006, 06:02:40 PM »

WHAT?HuhHuhHuhHuhHuh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like it more than Sunflower.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2006, 10:57:42 PM »

An album that should've been a single at best. Marilyn was a lovely woman, serviceable harmony singer and LOUSY lead singer. Dianne sucks as well. Some backing tracks are nice but their singing ruins everything.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
XY
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2006, 12:35:32 AM »

I love this album, although it sounds unfinished and demo-like at places.

The piano/finger snipping-bridge in "Everybody" is typical Brian, reminds me of his 1967 WILD HONEY-era productions.
I like "Thinkin' Bout You Baby" better than the 1964 version and the remakes of "Fallin' In Love" & "Good Time" beat the Rumbo/BB recordings as well.

"Sweet Mountain" is an interesting remake of "My Solution".

"Shyin' Away" is probably my favorite song on the album. I prefer the mix on PET PROJECTS.
chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2006, 03:03:39 AM »

It's a great album. Looks better in the UK sleeve though (the textured brown wood/tree one), rather than the other copy I have (gatefold with the girls on bikes etc!), and far better on vinyl than the CD version I have (See for miles records). Can't really see the melodic connection between Sweet Mountain and My Solution though. Anyway, Sweet Mountain has the best BW impersonation on disc. And I still enjoy the 'Ecstasy' album!
Cabana Boy
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2006, 03:20:13 AM »

An album that should've been a single at best. Marilyn was a lovely woman, serviceable harmony singer and LOUSY lead singer. Dianne sucks as well.
You are so wrong. Those voices are fodaing gorgeous, they ooze the essence of all earthly beauty from every syllable. And Marilyn *IS* a lovely woman, present tense.

Can't really see the melodic connection between Sweet Mountain and My Solution though.
I don't clock 'Sweet Mountain' as a 'My Solution' remake, either. Where you hearing that?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 03:38:00 AM by Cabana Boy » Logged
Cabana Boy
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2006, 03:23:39 AM »

Quote from: chris.metcalfe
gatefold with the girls on bikes etc!
Love that!

Quote from: chris.metcalfe
And I still enjoy the 'Ecstasy' album!
Me too!
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2006, 04:57:24 AM »

Hey folks,
I have been trying to find this album for a very long time.  If someone happens to know where I might be able to (cough) find a copy, please pm me.  Please.  Thanks.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2006, 10:19:45 AM »

An album that should've been a single at best. Marilyn was a lovely woman, serviceable harmony singer and LOUSY lead singer. Dianne sucks as well.
You are so wrong. Those voices are fodaing gorgeous, they ooze the essence of all earthly beauty from every syllable. And Marilyn *IS* a lovely woman, present tense.

Can't really see the melodic connection between Sweet Mountain and My Solution though.
I don't clock 'Sweet Mountain' as a 'My Solution' remake, either. Where you hearing that?

W.o.r.d.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2006, 12:07:58 PM »

Brian singing "Back Home" is the borderline for me. Whoever is singing 'This Whole World' in Spring, there's a fine line between earthy and distracting. It sounds like your tonedeaf cousin singing in the shower.

That said, rerelease it and I'll buy it.  Roll Eyes  And yes, Marilyn IS a lovely woman.

I can see how the 'chorus' of My Solution could be adapted as a bridge in Sweet Mountain.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
NimrodsSon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2006, 01:09:43 PM »

I love this album. There's some great production by Brian, David, and Steven. "Sweet Mountain" is an excellent track, but my personal favourite is "Tennessee Waltz." Brian's arrangement is wonderful, and Brian and Steve Desper's production on that song is outstanding.
Black Tiger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2006, 01:19:10 PM »

Huh Shocked why all the hatred for this great album ?

Tennessee Waltz, Thinking Bout You Baby, Sweet Mountain!

for me, Superstar is the jewel of this album

you guys are crazee

"I wanted to be part of it again, to share with it, and experience people: I wanted to experience people. And make money, of course." -Brian (is back)
Artie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2006, 01:22:08 PM »

WHAT?HuhHuhHuhHuhHuh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like it more than Sunflower.

Me too.
astroray
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2006, 01:51:56 PM »

One of my favorite all time albums! Top ten of all time!
You can call David Sandler and talk to him about (great Brian stories) and buy his albums!

Cook pork throughly
al
Smiley Smile Associate

Home again Home again jiggety jig...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2006, 04:29:26 PM »

One of my favorite all time albums! Top ten of all time!
You can call David Sandler and talk to him about (great Brian stories) and buy his albums!

As I said above - what happened to Mr Sandler after American Spring?

I cannot hear My Solution in any part of Sweet Mountain.

I would love to know (STILL!!!!!!!) how much of that Brian wrote and what David Sandler did - and how much - if any - involvement Brian had in the production on that song.

Mr Desper I think has mentioned that Brian did not have a whole lot to do with the album as a whole.
NimrodsSon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2006, 04:42:18 PM »

I would love to know (STILL!!!!!!!) how much of that Brian wrote and what David Sandler did - and how much - if any - involvement Brian had in the production on that song.

Mr Desper I think has mentioned that Brian did not have a whole lot to do with the album as a whole.

The LP liner notes list credits for each individual song. For this one in particular, it says produced by Wilson, Desper, and Sandler; vocals arranged by Wilson; and instrumental track arranged by Wilson and Sandler. I'm not sure how correct that is, but I would assume it's pretty accurate since it goes into so much detail for each song.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2006, 08:44:55 AM »

their version of Had to Phone ya is great!

~post of the century~
-Mikie

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx