gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680742 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 05:55:47 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: When is this?  (Read 3863 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« on: May 04, 2006, 08:58:00 AM »

I've been having a discussion with someone, and they believe it's smile era, at which I think it's Sunflower/Surf's Up era. Can someone clear this up for me?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 09:05:08 AM »

Sunflower sessions I believe. Theres a lot of these pictures in Badmans book and in the booklet of the Caroline Now CD.

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 09:36:35 AM »

i thought the same...this person who was telling me it was smile was saying brian didnt have much to do with sunflower
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 11:19:54 AM by punkinhead » Logged

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 09:50:13 AM »

The best proof that it's from Sunflower era is that in the wider angle shot, there are two Neumann U67s over the drums, a Stephen Desper approved technique, and a step up from the Smile era when it was more than likely one mic over head.

Plus, Brian didn't look like that in 1967.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 10:14:32 AM »

that's what i thought, he had a little undercarrige under the chin in the early 70s. say, are there any shots of vandyke parks playing the pedals of the organ for good vibrations?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 10:23:23 AM »

Stephen Desper posted that pic with a story of how Brian just sat at the drums and started wailing. Do a search.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
al
Smiley Smile Associate

Home again Home again jiggety jig...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2006, 10:30:19 AM »

i thought the same...this person who was telling me it was smile was saying brian didnt have much to do with sunflower...yeah right

Exactly - Brian is all over Sunflower. It was after that he took himself upstairs....
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2006, 10:35:15 AM »

Brian had retreated during the "20/20" sessions, only offering minimal involvement.  He came back stronger for "Sunflower", possibly reinvigorated by the new recording contract with Warners.  When that album flopped sales-wise, he went, in Carl's words, "back to the bushes".  He then was involved to a greater extent with the "Spring" album, but of course that flopped even more.
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2006, 10:55:29 AM »

Do you think Brian felt that it was his involvement with those albums that caused them to flop? So instead of "intentional sabotage", maybe he was just personally affected by the lack of success and thinking it was his involvement that was causing it?

Watch out for snakes!
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2006, 11:37:02 AM »

here is the link
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,1203.0.html

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2006, 11:51:08 AM »

thanx!    :D

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2006, 12:30:39 PM »

That Desper story is great.

I bet Brian picked up A LOT from watching Hal play on his sessions. Although drumming requires an incredible built in feel for rythm, it's not something as vague as a guitar is to watch someone play. I WISH we could here more of these discarded tracks. Or a more complete, "Lonely Days". The drum fills on that one are great, incredibly simple but so effective.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
MBE
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2006, 05:20:42 AM »

Desper's book says that, at least performance wise, Brian did a lot for "Surf's Up". 20/20 has him on about half of it, but isn't it odd that "Were Together Again" "Old Man River" and "Walk On By" were all discarded. Had they been used Brian would have been as prominent as he was on Sunflower.
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2006, 12:09:23 PM »

Speaking of "We're Together Again", why is this on the "Classics Selected By Brian Wilson" disc? I mean, that compilation has some WEIRD picks which lead me to believe Brian chose --- but "We're Together Again,"?

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2006, 12:14:45 PM »

Cause its an almost unbelievably fucking great song.
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2006, 12:25:48 PM »

It's good, it's not "Unbelievably fucking great" though.

The reason I brought it up though, is that it's like a ghost in their collection. It's just there --- a cover song on an album that is in no way classic, unless regarded as so by a big fan. Jason Penick's stereo mix of that song, however, is "Unbelievably fucking great".

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2006, 10:12:40 PM »

Cover song? Isn't We're Together Again a Brian Wilson/Ron Wilson composition?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2006, 12:57:51 AM »

I wish Brian hadn't given up on 'Old Man River' and his cover of 'Walk On By"  Cry

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
MBE
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2006, 01:39:01 AM »

I like "Wer'e Together Again" a lot myself. Brian's comp wasn't really a hits set so the song fit in fine.  Ron Wilson wrote it by himself.
Third Coast
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2006, 08:30:24 AM »

Putting "We're Together Again" on the Classics CD was a wise move. For starters, you bet it's a great song.  Plus, it exposed something really well done and largely unknown to a wider audience.  And it just fits the mood of the album.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx