gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680818 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 12:56:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: ‍  (Read 2140 times)
zachrwolfe
« on: March 28, 2014, 12:44:58 AM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:20:04 PM by zatch » Logged
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 07:17:50 AM »

Hey Zach,  I've listened to two of these several times since yesterday.  Have to go with "Waltz" as my favorite.  The "vibe" I'm getting is more Band like, maybe "Third Man Theme" or the "Last Waltz Theme."  Baroque too, maybe influenced a bit by Van Dyke's mid/late sixties sound.  Subconsciously?  Some of you guys are getting interesting sounds, (computer or keyboard pre-sets?) on your keyboards, or is that really a harpsichord?  Also something that sounds like a Zither.  In any case, really good melody, well played.   You should put up more instrumentals.
"Suicide Is Painless" - I love this song.  One of those "wish The Beach Boys had tried a take" on this number.  Your vocal is fine.  It gets better when the background vocal kicks in.  A nice "Brian moment" @2:01.  The track closes well.  As for the original: Those who think the Monkees were surrounded by just a bunch of stand-ins should check out The Ron Hicklin Singers.  They were known as the Vocal "Wrecking Crew."
"In the Pines" - I see you are basing this on Nirvana's unplugged take.  It's okay.  My favorite from that show was his excellent take on "Man Who  Sold the World."  My favorite version of "In the Pines" is Gene Clark's late 70's "hoe-down" version, though I've heard it done in various ways over the years.
Not sure what a ELA is.  A school project?  If so, you should do fine with turning in any of these tracks.  It would help me to comment if you, and others would give a break-down on who and what is being played.  Like: is that just you on music and vocals, or what does your "friend" add to the mix?   peace, Will

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
zachrwolfe
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 10:45:16 AM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:19:45 PM by zatch » Logged
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 12:04:15 PM »

Thanks for the breakdown.  That helps.  And notice, you were putting your own vocals down as "rushed" - while I, not knowing which voice was yours thought that's where the song kicks in and up a notch.  You are doing the vocal "Brian moment" I was referring to.  Push Simon out of the way a bit and take a lead now and then. LOL  Come to think of it, that was you on the Four Freshmen cover.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 01:00:44 PM »

I really like the waltz.  In fact it inspired me to write something.  Problem is I can't play the piano so I've had to just hum/Ba-Ba-Ba it on to my iphone/garage band.  Thanks for posting, I'll be listening to it again.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx