gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:12:55 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys in Classic Rock [UK] Magazine's Buyers Guide  (Read 2142 times)
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« on: March 27, 2014, 12:32:25 PM »

My dad just sent me this:

Sadly, that's the best Quality I've got, but if anyone can improve then go ahead.

Interesting choices:

Essential:
Pet Sounds
Surf's Up

Superior:
Today!
Pacific Ocean Blue
Sunflower
TSS

Good:
Wild Honey
Holland
Love You

Avoid:

Still Cruisin'

« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 12:45:03 PM by Freddie French-Pounce » Logged

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 02:52:20 PM »

Good deep cut list right there.
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 03:18:24 PM »

Still Cruisin'? Over Summer In Paradise?

They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good, I wish they could...
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 03:25:31 PM »

Even the groups own website doesn't acknowledge SIP.

http://www.thebeachboys.com/music/
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 03:27:18 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 04:29:39 PM »

No need to avoid Summer in Paradise, as it's out of print and would be difficult for a new fan to track down.  Still Cruisin', on the other hand, is available on iTunes, and it's entirely plausible that a new listener would download the album (recognizing four of the songs) and draw the conclusion that the band's non-hits aren't worth listening to.

Surf's Up as an essential album is quite puzzling to me.  It doesn't surprise me that neither Wild Honey nor Love You were deemed worthy of being included in the highest category, much as I'd like them to be.  I am surprised (but pleased) to see Pacific Ocean Blue included, and the song playlist is pretty solid.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 07:50:25 AM »

Essential playlist choices are ridiculously obvious, except we have "I Know There's An Answer" in place of "Wouldn't It Be Nice" & "Sloop John B". Nothing wrong about it (actually, cool because it's underrated even by diehard fans), just wondering why so.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 08:02:18 AM »

Love the inclusion of The Night Was So Young in that list. That one just gets better and better for me as the years roll on.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Tablevega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 08:06:23 AM »

No need to avoid Summer in Paradise, as it's out of print and would be difficult for a new fan to track down.  Still Cruisin', on the other hand, is available on iTunes, and it's entirely plausible that a new listener would download the album (recognizing four of the songs) and draw the conclusion that the band's non-hits aren't worth listening to.

Surf's Up as an essential album is quite puzzling to me.  It doesn't surprise me that neither Wild Honey nor Love You were deemed worthy of being included in the highest category, much as I'd like them to be.  I am surprised (but pleased) to see Pacific Ocean Blue included, and the song playlist is pretty solid.

The book 1001 Albums to Listen to Before You Die has three BB albums:  Pet Sounds, Today and Surf's Up (plus Pacific Ocean Blue).  I've always found the choice of Surf's Up a bit surprising, much as I love it (my edition is pre the SMiLE releases). 
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx