gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:24:24 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Survivor #22 WINNER!: ALL THIS IS THAT  (Read 75798 times)
bluesno1fann
« Reply #325 on: February 26, 2014, 02:47:57 PM »

I fell out of favor from the start with this one, some of my favorite tracks went early on.

"All this is that" is far from the best song on CATP but the people have spoken.

Totally agree. IMO things went highly predictably here.

First the different songs went (Hold On Dear Brother, He Come Down, Here She Comes)

Then the Denny songs (Make It Good, Cuddle Up)

Then the Rockers (You Need A Mess Of Help To Stand Alone, Marcella)

And finally the only song off the album that really sounds like a BB's song won (All This Is That).

I like All This Is That, but it hardly deserved to win this round IMHO. Here's how I would have ranked the tracks:

8. He Come Down.
7. Hold On Dear Brother.
6. Marcella.
5. Make It Good.
4. Here She Comes.
3. All This Is That.
2. Cuddle Up.
1. You Need A Mess Of Help To Stand Alone.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: February 26, 2014, 02:49:39 PM »

Cuddle was my favorite to win. All This Is That was my #2.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: February 26, 2014, 04:32:46 PM »

ATIT sounds no more like the BBs than the rest of the tracks. The whole album is pretty uncharacteristic. To my mind the right track won but then I wouldn't have voted any o' them off! Smiley

“We live in divisive times.”
2 and a half
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: February 27, 2014, 02:59:29 AM »

If anyone's looking for support for the notion that free and fair elections don't work then this result is it  Shocked Smiley
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #329 on: May 13, 2014, 12:22:15 PM »

Carl and the Passions-so tough is NOT  a BBs record even worth recommending , I dont see how it gets a whole thread devoted to it. Mess of help and marcella is decent tunes but its prevalent that warner/reprise was pestering them for product like capitol was doing in 63-4. After sunflower it was obvious that their signature sound was transforming and being that mainstream rock had taken a swandive around 68 it was aparent that quality music was no longer mainstream.
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #330 on: May 23, 2014, 03:23:24 AM »

Carl and the passions was an alias album for the BBs- not an essential album and really not integral
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: June 10, 2014, 02:04:51 PM »

Carl and the Passions-so tough is NOT  a BBs record even worth recommending , I dont see how it gets a whole thread devoted to it. Mess of help and marcella is decent tunes but its prevalent that warner/reprise was pestering them for product like capitol was doing in 63-4. After sunflower it was obvious that their signature sound was transforming and being that mainstream rock had taken a swandive around 68 it was aparent that quality music was no longer mainstream.
If any album post-Love You gets a survivor round, which they did, I'll fight to no end to uphold Carl and the Passions' place.  For me the album's biggest flaw (moreso than its lack of cohesiveness) is how the vocals on certain tracks are a little low in the mix.  It's most apparent to me on Here She Comes, but the falsetto ending on All This Is That also stands out as a moment that would have been that much sweeter if it hadn't been softened so quickly.  Maybe it's just the version I have, but I've heard others say the same.  Regarding the music itself, I have little complaints.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx