gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:09:51 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Survivor #27 Winner: Good Timin'  (Read 108428 times)
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: April 15, 2014, 09:11:36 PM »

They were winners of the odds n ends rounds.
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: April 15, 2014, 11:37:51 PM »

I have nothing more to add to this thread, the winner is the winner. Good Timin' is still a great song, and it's definitely in the top 3 of this album.

And it has come to my attention that there are still Denny songs on the upcoming Odds and Ends round, so thankfully It's Not Too Late! (Pun intended)

There are indeed...oh and Still I Dream of It  Evil
We have a winner for that round already..... Wink

Took a listen to Still I Dream Of It recently and was not impressed one bit. At best it's a "Meh".

Oh, and It's Over Now is Awful.

That's sure to get everyone on your side.

Please delete my account
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #452 on: April 16, 2014, 12:23:30 AM »

Took a listen to Still I Dream Of It recently and was not impressed one bit. At best it's a "Meh".

One of those will win the next odds n sods

bluesno1fann
« Reply #453 on: April 16, 2014, 01:46:40 AM »

I have nothing more to add to this thread, the winner is the winner. Good Timin' is still a great song, and it's definitely in the top 3 of this album.

And it has come to my attention that there are still Denny songs on the upcoming Odds and Ends round, so thankfully It's Not Too Late! (Pun intended)

At this point I've kinda given up, and I was only giving my honest opinion on the two songs
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #454 on: April 16, 2014, 02:50:11 AM »

Whilst its fair to say Love Surrounds Me goes a little overboard at times, it's always nice to see someone so deeply passionate about the Beach Boys and Dennis. And hey, I agree: Still I Dream of It and, especially, It's Over Now aren't much cop. I don't particularly rate either. Brian at his most boring and uninteresting.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #455 on: April 16, 2014, 03:28:04 AM »

Whilst its fair to say Love Surrounds Me goes a little overboard at times, it's always nice to see someone so deeply passionate about the Beach Boys and Dennis. And hey, I agree: Still I Dream of It and, especially, It's Over Now aren't much cop. I don't particularly rate either. Brian at his most boring and uninteresting.

Agreed with Still I Dream Of It. Though that's not the reason why I dislike It's Over Now.
Carl sounds drunk, the production is awful, Musically bland and uninteresting...
Basically put, everything that Gabo seems to hate about Dennis songs, bar the 70's rock and sexuality. A boring, sappy love song. Worse than some of Bruce's songs in that category!
Watch a Cave
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: April 16, 2014, 03:48:05 AM »

I like the speed corrected version of It's Over Now on MIC.  The slower version on the GV box is horrible IMO.

Still i dream of it is pretty cool too as long as I can get by the "time for supper now" line which is cringeworthy.
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: April 16, 2014, 05:45:18 AM »

It's Over Now musically bland? Have you tried figuring out those chord fingerings? See for example the analysis of it on surfermoon.com.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: April 16, 2014, 05:49:28 AM »

The "heaven" coda to it is one of the most beautiful BBs musical moments in the whole catalog.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: April 16, 2014, 06:48:59 AM »

What's wrong with eating supper? Cry

LOL

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: April 16, 2014, 08:26:37 AM »

Still i dream of it is pretty cool too as long as I can get by the "time for supper now" line which is cringeworthy.

I wouldn't say it's that cringe-worthy. When people are depressed, often times it's manifested in eating - which is what's going on here.
Nicko1234
« Reply #461 on: April 16, 2014, 08:34:36 AM »

The `When I was younger` line is worse.

It doesn`t scan at all.
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: April 17, 2014, 03:37:18 AM »

I think that dinner line is all about setting the scene. When I listen to the demo I imagine Brian in his comfortable home noodling at the piano as his maid prepares dinner. Brian's not much of a braggart and I imagine the casual reference to his maid is his way of telling us: "I'm in the middle of a pretty cushy situation". This makes the song all the more powerful for me. Even surrounded with material comforts a lot of people don't have, he yearns for something more, something different to end his unease.

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: April 17, 2014, 05:25:52 AM »

Well put Quzi.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #464 on: April 17, 2014, 08:06:50 PM »

Interesting perspective, Q.  I see it as nothing more than a stark omission of his terrible mental condition.  Sloughing around in bunny slippers or something.  Loosely tied bathrobe, unable to figure out what to do.  Impatient yet immobile.

Tortured.  Unshaven and scribbling meaningless, mundane entries into his diary that tell us nothing and everything -- Got up today.  Ate food.  Still alive.

bluesno1fann
« Reply #465 on: April 18, 2014, 07:33:29 PM »

It's Over Now musically bland? Have you tried figuring out those chord fingerings? See for example the analysis of it on surfermoon.com.

Be it technically complicated to play or not, it just doesn't do it for me at all. To each his own I guess.
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: April 20, 2014, 08:25:29 PM »

To each his own I guess.

Apart from when they're voting against a Dennis song, right?  Grin

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #467 on: May 10, 2014, 12:45:53 PM »

The saving grace on the light album was def. A combo of good timin and the songs dennis gave em from bambu- mostly babyblue and angel,,
bluesno1fann
« Reply #468 on: May 10, 2014, 03:10:39 PM »

The saving grace on the light album was def. A combo of good timin and the songs dennis gave em from bambu- mostly babyblue and angel,,

Love Surrounds Me equally IMO.

Plus, I'd add Lady Lynda. So what if Al took the first part from Bach? It's one of his finest moments!
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #469 on: May 10, 2014, 03:20:21 PM »

Yeah thats the best way to make music is mixing bits n pieces of whats good
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: May 10, 2014, 04:19:09 PM »

Angel Come Home is not from Bambu. It's a Carl Wilson song sung by Dennis. The Zoo version is pretty good too. The video is cool too. It has an Old West theme to it.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
bluesno1fann
« Reply #471 on: June 13, 2014, 01:01:49 AM »

And it has come to my attention that there are still Denny songs on the upcoming Odds and Ends round, so thankfully It's Not Too Late!

I agree, Brian still has more fan favorites in the next Odds 'n' Ends game. So be ready for getting trembles, Dennis fans!
LOL Hey, don't scare 'em off before the fun starts!

A thankfully inaccurate guess  Grin (Even if My Love Lives On was the third song voted off on Super Survivor #3)
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #472 on: June 13, 2014, 01:35:40 AM »

It trips me out how bruce produced such great records b4 he was a beach boy and the when he came back in 78 after bein gone six years he produces a couple of the weakest albums in the BBs catalog.. dont get me wrong I like bits and pieces of the Light album and Keepin the summer alive but the fact that the BBs started getting hits on the adult contemporary charts and remaking their classic Here comes the night into a disco song really showed how desperate they were at that time. Love you was such a raw album, punk rock to me, MIU had its moments but gets such a bad rap...but look at the new direction rockNroll took starting in 77- the Ramones came along and revitalized rock music/ Rocket to Russia was such a masterpiece and the influence of the BBs in those songs was beyond prevalent right?
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #473 on: June 15, 2014, 02:37:14 PM »

I wouldn't say it's that cringe-worthy. When people are depressed, often times it's manifested in eating - which is what's going on here.

The lyric just sounds ridiculous in that melody. It's also really, really bad as an opening lyric. The opening lines ruin the song for me.

I feeeeel liiiike eaaaatiiiiing nooowww
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #474 on: June 15, 2014, 03:50:21 PM »

I never understand when I sometimes see dolts undermine brian' s lyrics. Hes written & composed the best music of the last 50+ yrs and its as prevalent as can be yknow... what about all the awful cornball beatles songs from their last 3 post- revolver yrs right
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx