gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:46:58 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Survivor #27 Winner: Good Timin'  (Read 108444 times)
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: April 11, 2014, 05:12:15 PM »

How could this be?!

This means not a single Dennis song won any Survivor round!

I guess this proves he's not overrated, and he's not the sacred cow.

I hope the Brian fans are happy  Angry

Exactly! this proves what we were arguing about earlier (it just happened to get out of hand then)  most BB fans have claimed that the best songwriter in the 70s was Dennis Wilson not Brian.

Yep. By far the best songwriter of the Beach Boys in the 70's was Dennis. Yet he lost every single bloody round!
What more proof do you need that Dennis is underrated?

amazing isn't it?  Roll Eyes  even if I wasn't so much of a Dennis fan as I am now I would still think something was wrong with this.  I can honestly understand why he lost in the beginning with Friends and 20/20 (he was just starting out then) but by this point...

Yeah, maybe (much as I love his songs on them). But this? This is fucking disgraceful. Dennis is rolling around in his grave because of these results.

But I expected it. I foresaw Good Timin' winning this round many rounds earlier, due to the voting trend. Sadly, I was accurate. I wish this round went a day longer so some extra votes could go to Baby Blue.

And I'm pretty sure there were a few spite votes against Baby Blue by voters who normally don't vote!

yea those "spite votes" are really dumb.  You're supposed to vote because you like the song, not to "try to annoy" other voters  Roll Eyes

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #376 on: April 11, 2014, 05:14:04 PM »

I kept my vote with Angel come home. Not my favorite on the album, but it was my favorite of the 3. I always vote for my genuine favorite (or least favorite, according to the round), even if my vote won't make a difference in the outcome.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #377 on: April 11, 2014, 05:14:22 PM »

How could this be?!

This means not a single Dennis song won any Survivor round!

I guess this proves he's not overrated, and he's not the sacred cow.

I hope the Brian fans are happy  Angry

Exactly! this proves what we were arguing about earlier (it just happened to get out of hand then)  most BB fans have claimed that the best songwriter in the 70s was Dennis Wilson not Brian.

Yep. By far the best songwriter of the Beach Boys in the 70's was Dennis. Yet he lost every single bloody round!
What more proof do you need that Dennis is underrated?

amazing isn't it?  Roll Eyes  even if I wasn't so much of a Dennis fan as I am now I would still think something was wrong with this.  I can honestly understand why he lost in the beginning with Friends and 20/20 (he was just starting out then) but by this point...

Yeah, maybe (much as I love his songs on them). But this? This is fucking disgraceful. Dennis is rolling around in his grave because of these results.

But I expected it. I foresaw Good Timin' winning this round many rounds earlier, due to the voting trend. Sadly, I was accurate. I wish this round went a day longer so some extra votes could go to Baby Blue.

And I'm pretty sure there were a few spite votes against Baby Blue by voters who normally don't vote!

yea those "spite votes" are really dumb.  You're supposed to vote because you like the song, not to "try to annoy" other voters  Roll Eyes

Exactly. There should be a rule where spite votes are discounted. Only problem is, it's not easy to tell which one is a spite vote or not.
But remember the 20/20 round where SMiLE Brian voted against All I Want To Do? That was an obvious spite vote. He never voted before, and he never voted since.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: April 11, 2014, 05:14:41 PM »

Are you kidding me? Dennis wouldn't give one solitary sh*t about any of these polls.

You're really blowing this out of proportion. They're just songs. You can still listen to them.
It's just a silly little contest among fans. It's not the final word on what song is better. It's just a collection of opinions.

And breathe....
bluesno1fann
« Reply #379 on: April 11, 2014, 05:34:10 PM »

Are you kidding me? Dennis wouldn't give one solitary sh*t about any of these polls.

You're really blowing this out of proportion. They're just songs. You can still listen to them.
It's just a silly little contest among fans. It's not the final word on what song is better. It's just a collection of opinions.

And breathe....

It's very sad that the fans say None of Dennis's songs are worthy of winning the poll.
And I think Dennis had low self-esteem with his songwriting, correct me if I'm wrong. He was very upset that no one in the band cared about his songs much. And it looks like it's the same with the fans  Cry Cry Cry
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #380 on: April 11, 2014, 05:35:10 PM »

How could this be?!

TBH probably cause of you, spite votes killed it...and your reaction with the whole mess of emoticons proves it

slippingonthrough
Smiley Smile Associate

Male eagle walking down the street....

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: April 11, 2014, 05:35:41 PM »

Good Timin' sounds like a paint-by-number song. Yea, it has some great harmonies but it doesn't have the beauty and emotion of Baby Blue. I am disappointed too.
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: April 11, 2014, 05:39:06 PM »

And breathe....

It's very sad that the fans say None of Dennis's songs are worthy of winning the poll.
And I think Dennis had low self-esteem with his songwriting, correct me if I'm wrong. He was very upset that no one in the band cared about his songs much. And it looks like it's the same with the fans  Cry Cry Cry

you're right he did have a low self-esteem and the band's jealousy towards him didn't help either.  Remember they threatened to kick him out of the group if he proceeded with the POB tour (he didn't have the budget anyway but still) the fact that they did that is sick  Angry

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
bluesno1fann
« Reply #383 on: April 11, 2014, 05:40:21 PM »

How could this be?!

TBH probably cause of you, spite votes killed it...and your reaction with the whole mess of emoticons proves it

As I've said, Spite votes should not be counted as legitamite
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: April 11, 2014, 05:40:34 PM »

Well to the best of my knowledge the BB's never did Baby Blue live , but we did a number of years ago ( amateur footage ) not the best sound quality so listen loud on headphones  Smokin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8vdYbpyBgA
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: April 11, 2014, 05:47:24 PM »

And breathe....

It was off by one vote. A track 'winning' doesn't render all the others vastly inferior. Furthermore, as said by Mr. Waves, this whole Survivor thing isn't intended to be the all-time final consensus on the best Beach Boys tracks - it isn't written in stone, it's just a bit of fun, and certainly wouldn't have any band members rolling in their graves.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #386 on: April 11, 2014, 05:54:07 PM »

My introduction to Baby Blue was the "Bamboo" CD put together by Dan Addington.

At the time LA Light was out of print and when....a couple years later I got to hear it...I much preferred the "Bamboo" version.

Always found the LA version too sterile...still my fav song on this album though..

retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: April 11, 2014, 05:58:54 PM »

I know this is all in fun but it just seems odd to me that not one of his songs has won a single round Huh  I mean he was an extremely talented guy who surprised everyone (he went from someone who was just going along for the ride to a prominent songwriter and singer)

-Dennis Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #388 on: April 11, 2014, 06:00:46 PM »

I know this is all in fun but it just seems odd to me that not one of his songs has won a single round Huh  I mean he was an extremely talented guy who surprised everyone (he went from someone who was just going along for the ride to a prominent songwriter and singer)

eh, yeah but he is up against one of the greatest songwriters of all time so its not easy..

bluesno1fann
« Reply #389 on: April 11, 2014, 06:01:08 PM »

Exactly. Very sad.
I was hoping at least one would win. And now he will never win.
Poor Dennis  Cry

eh, yeah but he is up against one of the greatest songwriters of all time so its not easy..

But in the 70's Dennis's work surpassed Brian's easily. If it was the 60's, you have a point. But as Retrokid says, the 70's was Dennis's decade, just as the 60's was Brian's decade, the 80's was Carl's decade, and the 90's onwards belong to Mike.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 06:03:10 PM by Love Surrounds Me » Logged
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: April 11, 2014, 06:04:08 PM »

Brian is one of the greatest songwriters of all time but that doesn't mean that all of his songs were better than Denny's songs.  I think it's safe to say that Brian's songs weren't as "genius" as they were from the mid to late 60s and early 70s by this point in time.

-Dennis Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #391 on: April 11, 2014, 06:11:29 PM »

But in the 70's Dennis's work surpassed Brian's easily. If it was the 60's, you have a point. But as Retrokid says, the 70's was Dennis's decade, just as the 60's was Brian's decade, the 80's was Carl's decade, and the 90's onwards belong to Mike.

Much as I love Dennis songs...he never wrote anything as good as "Til I die" and even with his best stuff. he was still behind Brian for all the seventies bar POB.

retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: April 11, 2014, 06:13:48 PM »

Much as I love Dennis songs...he never wrote anything as good as "Til I die" and even with his best stuff. he was still behind Brian for all the seventies bar POB.

I bet he could've if he would've had more confidence.  Everybody gave Brian a big pat on the back in everything he did every chance they got, meanwhile Denny's stuff got rejected and criticized. 

-Dennis Wilson
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: April 11, 2014, 06:16:07 PM »

How could this be?!

^^^^ pretty much this^^^^^
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: April 11, 2014, 06:17:27 PM »

How could this be?!

that doesn't make it right.

-Dennis Wilson
bluesno1fann
« Reply #395 on: April 11, 2014, 06:18:45 PM »

How could this be?!

Pixletwin, what is your opinion on Spite votes? Would you count them as fair and legitimate, or unfair and illegitimate?
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: April 11, 2014, 06:25:44 PM »

what about unfair and legitimate ?

what about fair and illegitimate?  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 06:27:13 PM by retrokid67 » Logged

-Dennis Wilson
Nicko1234
« Reply #397 on: April 11, 2014, 06:28:33 PM »

People love Brian`s songs which takes nothing away from Dennis. Forever, for example, is a lovely song but This Whole World was a worthy winner.

In this round Good Timin` is a very highly rated song so it`s not exactly the equivalent of Baby Blue being voted out before Here Comes the Night...
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: April 11, 2014, 06:31:31 PM »

what about unfair and legitimate ?

what about fair and illegitimate?  Roll Eyes
That wouldn't be fair now would it.

sure wouldn't

-Dennis Wilson
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: April 11, 2014, 06:51:41 PM »

How could this be?!

Pixletwin, what is your opinion on Spite votes? Would you count them as fair and legitimate, or unfair and illegitimate?

I don't think people should do spite votes, but I suppose it's kind of in the same category as those who switch their votes strategically.

Ultimately it's all in fun, so I wouldn't take it too seriously. But I wish people hadn't spite voted. With switch voting I think it doesn't actually change the final vote. It's impact is limited. But a spite vote can louse up the purity of a game. But again, I hope people aren't taking these games quite that seriously.  3D
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx