gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680810 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 10:36:31 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Survivor #27 Winner: Good Timin'  (Read 109026 times)
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 04, 2014, 12:41:23 AM »

Full Sail.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Watch a Cave
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 04, 2014, 03:36:32 AM »

Cant believe Full Sail is still here.. at least Shortenin bread rocked a bit on this dull album.

Anyway,  Full Sail.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 04, 2014, 04:42:35 AM »

Full Sail
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 04, 2014, 05:06:42 AM »

I love every song on this album, and now we are down to the cream of the crop. Hard to vote at this point.

I'll have to go with Baby Blue

You seem to spend your whole time voting for what are clearly the better songs from these albums? i.e. My Diane, Baby Blue, etc. Is it an attention-grabbing act or are these genuine choices?

"Genuine choice" I reckon.
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 04, 2014, 06:45:13 AM »

Full sale again.

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
zachrwolfe
« Reply #205 on: April 04, 2014, 10:19:59 AM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:19:13 PM by zatch » Logged
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #206 on: April 04, 2014, 10:45:18 AM »

I love every song on this album, and now we are down to the cream of the crop. Hard to vote at this point.

You seem to spend your whole time voting for what are clearly the better songs from these albums? i.e. My Diane, Baby Blue, etc. Is it an attention-grabbing act or are these genuine choices?
Um. They are genuine choices. For the first four rounds, I voted for Shortenin bread. I vote for my least favorite every time. I don't vote strategically like some do, and I definitely don't vote for attention. L.A. is my 2nd favorite Beach Boys studio album of any era, and I love every song on it. At this point, with these final 6, it's a matter of which song I love but not as much as the others...
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #207 on: April 04, 2014, 10:55:42 AM »

Um. They are genuine choices. For the first four rounds, I voted for Shortenin bread. I vote for my least favorite every time. I don't vote strategically like some do, and I definitely don't vote for attention. L.A. is my 2nd favorite Beach Boys studio album of any era, and I love every song on it. At this point, with these final 6, it's a matter of which song I love but not as much as the others...

Fair enough. I know you're on record as saying L.A. is one of your very favourite BB albums (and good for you, it's great!), so just surprised to see you voting for Baby Blue which is generally considered one of highlights - if not the highlight - of the album. It's just surprising to me that someone who rates L.A. so highly wouldn't therefore be overly keen on Baby Blue. It's like someone who loves Pet Sounds not being overly keen on God Only Knows. I'm not saying it's not allowed - just that it's surprising.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 11:16:57 AM by Disney Boy (1985) » Logged
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: April 04, 2014, 12:39:40 PM »

Fair enough. I know you're on record as saying L.A. is one of your very favourite BB albums (and good for you, it's great!), so just surprised to see you voting for Baby Blue which is generally considered one of highlights - if not the highlight - of the album. It's just surprising to me that someone who rates L.A. so highly wouldn't therefore be overly keen on Baby Blue. It's like someone who loves Pet Sounds not being overly keen on God Only Knows. I'm not saying it's not allowed - just that it's surprising.

Cool, yeah I'm my opinion, though, L.A. is definitely an album full of highlights, but what the highlights are definitely differs from fan to fan. Much like Surf's Up. I can think of at least 5 tracks on Surf's Up that could be hotly contested favorites. Same with L.A...I can see at least 4, if not 5 or 6, that would be very popular with fans. Baby Blue for me, was kind of a grower for me, whereas all the other remaining tracks had an immediate impact on me.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 04, 2014, 01:27:08 PM »

It's a problem with the nature if the polls. It's easy to interpret a vote as an expression of dislike but that's not the case: here, a vote against one song is, in fact, more a vote in favour of the remaining songs.

“We live in divisive times.”
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: April 04, 2014, 02:03:27 PM »

Why even say that when the vote is based on Smilers' own opinions?

Like Eric, I'm struggling to pick just one this time around. Unlike Feelsflow I can't vote for a song on the basis that they did it better live; unlike Disney Boy I can't vote off a track on the basis that there's a better unfeleased live bootleg version, when we're supposed to be voting for released album tracks on heir own merits (that's just attention seeking! LOL ).

And I wish Goin' South was still in the pot as I think that track's beautiful.

Gonna go with Full Sail as I think that would be the first track I'd start skipping if I had them all playing in a continuous loop on a desert island for a month!
Fair point.  I was in such a good mood yesterday - that can get you in trouble.  Too many good memories, just thought I'd share one.  Wasn't really how much I like one track or another.  I'm voting on the basis of the studio track.  Everyone has a right to their opinions.  I would have certainly voted off "Shortening Bread" before "Goin' South."  After "Lady Lynda" I won't know were to go.  When you have so many great, and important (the Dennis tracks) to vote off - it gets tough.  Got a soft spot for all of these tracks.  Missing Carl and Dennis plays into it at this point of their catalogue.  Many of these albums have been difficult to treat as a game.  What's been fun about playing Survivor is that as we go through each set of albums, I focus and listen to ones I don't play as often.  I play L.A. often.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 04, 2014, 02:53:20 PM »

Why even say that when the vote is based on Smilers' own opinions?

Like Eric, I'm struggling to pick just one this time around. Unlike Feelsflow I can't vote for a song on the basis that they did it better live; unlike Disney Boy I can't vote off a track on the basis that there's a better unfeleased live bootleg version, when we're supposed to be voting for released album tracks on heir own merits (that's just attention seeking! LOL ).

And I wish Goin' South was still in the pot as I think that track's beautiful.

Gonna go with Full Sail as I think that would be the first track I'd start skipping if I had them all playing in a continuous loop on a desert island for a month!
Fair point.  I was in such a good mood yesterday - that can get you in trouble.  Too many good memories, just thought I'd share one.  Wasn't really how much I like one track or another.  I'm voting on the basis of the studio track.  Everyone has a right to their opinions.  I would have certainly voted off "Shortening Bread" before "Goin' South."  After "Lady Lynda" I won't know were to go.  When you have so many great, and important (the Dennis tracks) to vote off - it gets tough.  Got a soft spot for all of these tracks.  Missing Carl and Dennis plays into it at this point of their catalogue.  Many of these albums have been difficult to treat as a game.  What's been fun about playing Survivor is that as we go through each set of albums, I focus and listen to ones I don't play as often.  I play L.A. often.

Very cool post… I hadn't consciously registered that missing Carl and Dennis affects my take on these tracks but I think you're right, it really does.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 03:16:48 PM by John Manning » Logged

Marcella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 04, 2014, 03:13:50 PM »

Full Sail
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 04, 2014, 03:34:06 PM »

Full Sail

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 05, 2014, 11:39:04 AM »

Welcome back to a new round of BEACH BOYS SURVIVOR. Remember to be respectful of others opinions. Please don't spam the thread with too much opinionating (a little is ok  :D ).... and without further ado...

L.A. (Light Album) is the twenty-third studio album by The Beach Boys, released on March 19, 1979. Produced by Bruce Johnston, James William Guercio and the band itself, the album was The Beach Boys' first on CBS Records, and the first to feature contributions from Johnston since his departure from the band in 1972. Johnston was brought in when it became clear that the ailing Brian Wilson was in no fit state to produce the album, and has remained in the band ever since.

Fuuuuuuul Saiiiiillllll snored it's self away.

As usual vote for your least favorite track. The track with the most votes gets voted off.

Tally on April 7th

Good Timin'
Lady Lynda
Angel Come Home
Love Surrounds Me
Baby Blue

Round#1 - Here Comes the Night March 28
Round#2 - Sumahama March 30
Round#3 - Goin' South April 1
Round#4 - Shortenin' Bread April 3
Round#5 - Full Sail April 5

My vote for least favorite has to be Love Surrounds Me. It's just a smidgen less boring than Full Sail.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 05, 2014, 11:49:39 AM »

Very toughie but Lady Linda has to go…

Was delighted to bits when my fave band released that as a single in the UK in '79 as it sounded to me like a decent song… and it did chart if I recall correctly.

Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 05, 2014, 11:53:26 AM »

Lady Lynda

Please delete my account
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 05, 2014, 11:57:36 AM »

Man she's holding on!
the lovely "Lady Lynda"

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 05, 2014, 12:47:17 PM »

Love Surrounds Me

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 05, 2014, 01:37:37 PM »

Definitely Lady Lynda next.
Watch a Cave
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 05, 2014, 02:00:53 PM »

This is easy..  Love Surrounds Me. 

I usually love Dennis' songs, but this one is like slow torture waiting for it to end.  I feel there were much better Bambù tracks available than this.

mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 05, 2014, 02:12:26 PM »

Love Surrounds Me
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 05, 2014, 04:04:55 PM »

Not so easy as these are all fine fine music,  but I`ll call Love Surrounds Me - kicks my ass everytime, tho`.

Fyi, Lady Lynda Top Tenned it in the UK.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
bluesno1fann
« Reply #223 on: April 05, 2014, 04:09:42 PM »

All the remaining songs are excellent.

But I guess I have to go with the weakest remaining track, much as I love it:

Jesu, Joy Of Man's Desiring

Lady Liberty

Lady Lynda!

P.S. I don't get the votes for Love Surrounds Me. IMHO it's the best song off this album and is Dennis's last masterpiece!
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 05, 2014, 04:18:57 PM »

Lady Lynda
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 20 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx