gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:25:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "The New Album" - "Merry Christmas From The Beach Boys"  (Read 9823 times)
Murray Wilson’s Glass Eye
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« on: March 25, 2014, 03:11:53 AM »

So recently I've really been getting into the whole "Brian's Back" period of the late 70's and I'm really digging it. Now obviously there is a lot of stuff the guys recorded that never made it onto vinyl but I am led to believe that there were a few albums that the boys put together that were rejected by the label. I've been trying to add these albums into my beach boys timeline and have already done so with Adult/Child and Dennis' Bambu (I know this one wasn't really "rejected"). 

My biggest question I suppose is... what is "The New Album"? Was it an actual album that was presented to the label for release, or is it just a bootleg put together of various songs from that period? How was the album sequenced? Was it put together after 15BO or Love You?

I know a little more about the Christmas album, but I also wondered if there was a track list for that one aswell?

If anyone could enlighten me about this crazy, underrated period in the BB's history it would be much appreciated!  Grin

Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 11:56:59 AM »

from AGD website:
http://www.esquarterly.com/bellagio//unreleased.html

'New Album'
projected release date unknown
recorded fall 1976 except * April 1965 (track), ** November 1969, + 1970, #January-May 1976
produced by Brian Wilson
My Diane - Marilyn Rovell - Hey Little Tomboy - Ruby Baby - You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' - Sherry She Needs Me* - Come Go With Me# - Mony Mony# - On Broadway# - Sea Cruise# - H.E.L.P Is On The Way+ - Games Two Can Play+ - When Girls Get Together**
(track sequence unknown)

Merry Christmas From The Beach Boys
projected release date November/December 1978
Recorded November & December 1977 except * August-September 1970, ** 1970 (basic track),
§ 1974 (basic track), # November 1974, + January-May 1976, ++ January-May 1976 (basic track),
‡ fall 1976 (basic track), ^ November 1977
Produced by Alan Jardine & Ron Altbach except * Terry Jacks, **, §, +, ++ and ‡  , Brian Wilson, ^ Dennis Wilson
Christmastime Is Here Again++ - Child Of Winter# - Winter Symphony§ - Michael Row The Boat Ashore+ - Seasons In The Sun*: Morning Christmas^ - Christmas Day  - Go And Get That Girl - Santa's On His Way**- I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa‡ - Xmas Carol Medley   

In April 1977, The Beach Boys signed an $8 million deal with Caribou Records. Unbeknownst to them, they still owed Reprise one more album and, when this inconvenient fact was pointed out, sought to redress the problem by decamping to the Maharishi International University in Fairfield, Iowa and recording a new album… or rather, Mike & Alan did. Brian went along for the ride, Carl paid a fleeting visit and Dennis never left Los Angeles.

Now, for the longest time, it was accepted that the band recorded the seasonal set first and when that was (rightly) rejected, they reworked some of the tracks into another album, California Feeling (which evolved into M.I.U. Album), but research into the sessions held at MIU reveals that songs from both albums were recorded in tandem, often at the same session, and that the California Feeling album was assembled at the end of 1997 back in Los Angeles. Confusing, to say the least.

Whatever, as was now the custom, the album(s) comprised new recordings bolstered by tracks from the vaults: California Feeling recycled "My Diane" and "Hey Little Tomboy" from the New Album project and "Bells Of Christmas" and "Melekalikimaka" became "Belles of Paris" and "Kona Coast", while for Merry Christmas, "Seasons In The Sun" and "H.E.L.P Is On The Way" from 1970 were pressed into service (the latter reworked as "Santa's On His Way"), as were the 15 Big Ones outtakes "Michael Rowed The Boat Ashore" and "Peggy Sue", transformed via a new lyric into "Christmastime Is Here Again" while "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa" used a 1976 track known as "Hey There Moma". The ultra-rare 1974 45 A side "Child Of Winter" underwent an insipid remix, and an instrumental track from the same year became "Winter Symphony". The new material was in general uninspired, with the shining exception of Dennis' shimmering "Morning Christmas", far and away the best track on the album - and not even recorded at MIU !  The 1998 release Ultimate Christmas, a compilation of the 1963 album and the 1977 sessions, included "Christmastime Is Here Again", the original 45 mix of "Child Of Winter", "Winter Symphony",  "Morning Christmas", "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa" and album outtakes "Bells Of Christmas", "Melekalikimaka" (aka "Kona Christmas") and "Santa's Got An Airplane", otherwise 1969's "Loop De Loop" with a seasonal lyric. "Go And Get That Girl" turned up, re-recorded, on the eponymous second album by Celebration. California Feeling, curiously titled for a song Brian insisted not be included, was slated for a summer release, eventually coming out in the fall as M.I.U. Album (after a brief existence as Winds Of Change) with "Our Team" and "How's About…" replaced by a completely new recording of "Come Go With Me" and the 15 Big Ones outtake "Peggy Sue.  "Our Team" was eventually released on the 1993 box set, while "How's About…" turned up on Celebration in a form so similar to the Beach Boys version that one wonders…
Possibility of release: the brighter moments of Merry Christmas... have been: California Feeling can easily be reconstructed by anyone with a CD burner and the right bootlegs.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 02:58:55 PM by Dutchie » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 08:23:47 AM »

I'm of the opinion that the "New Album" was just someone misunderstanding what Brian said, and never really existed as such.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 08:13:18 PM »

I'm of the opinion that the "New Album" was just someone misunderstanding what Brian said, and never really existed as such.

How so, when a copy of "The New Album" ended up bootlegged on vinyl?
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 09:19:40 PM »

Are you serious or trying to be funny?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 11:13:55 PM »

I've seen a boot called Remember The Zoo - using your reasoning here, the existence of that means it was a real album...

I know that in his discography, Elliott gives a track listing for "New Album", but given that further research has since invalidated other claims in the book, I'd say the existence of said album is questionable until supported by outside info.

TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 06:16:34 AM »

Well, to be fair.... the bootleg outfit who put out "The New Album" also put out 'Adult Child', 'California Feeling' and 'Merry Christmas', leading me to believe that they had a credible source for unreleased albums. Smiley
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 07:37:31 AM »

<<Well, to be fair.... the bootleg outfit who put out "The New Album" also put out 'Adult Child', 'California Feeling' and 'Merry Christmas', leading me to believe that they had a credible source for unreleased albums>>
The new album boot is just an assembly of tracks from various sources, using the Brad Elliot notes as a rough guide.  Some of this boot stuff, back in the day, came out in dribs and drabs.  It's the same thing with the Landlocked boot.  These were not real albums.  At best, I am sure they were assembled compilation reels of new and leftover songs... sort of a taking stock approach... "What do we have left in the can?  What do we have that's new?  Can any of this stuff be used for an album?"   
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 07:55:26 AM »

Well, to be fair.... the bootleg outfit who put out "The New Album" also put out 'Adult Child', 'California Feeling' and 'Merry Christmas', leading me to believe that they had a credible source for unreleased albums. Smiley

We have dates for when the master was assembled for almost all the studio albums from Add Some Music to The Beach Boys, and that includes the "Last Capitol Album", "2nd Warner Brothers LP", the original version of Holland, Adult/Child, both versions of California Feeling and the original version of MIU. That we have uncovered no such information for "New Album" and the alleged 1977 Christmas album is surely significant.

The bootleggers source for those album titles and lineups is the same as ours - the Elliott book. The vast majority of it is unquestionable, but increasingly some of the alleged unreleased information is looking shaky: in fact, his take on the chronology of the Add Some Music-Sunflower period is almost entirely inaccurate, as he himself admitted (and, props to him, corrected) a few years later in the much missed Add Some Music 'zine.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 09:14:41 AM »

Who released those babies, B.E. or P.R.?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2014, 09:20:44 AM »

The first two vinyl Smile boots and Bamboo were pressed up by Elliott: New Album and the other three... no idea.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2014, 09:47:37 AM »

We have dates for when the master was assembled for almost all the studio albums from Add Some Music to The Beach Boys, and that includes the "Last Capitol Album", "2nd Warner Brothers LP", the original version of Holland, Adult/Child, both versions of California Feeling and the original version of MIU. That we have uncovered no such information for "New Album" and the alleged 1977 Christmas album is surely significant.

The bootleggers source for those album titles and lineups is the same as ours - the Elliott book. The vast majority of it is unquestionable, but increasingly some of the alleged unreleased information is looking shaky: in fact, his take on the chronology of the Add Some Music-Sunflower period is almost entirely inaccurate, as he himself admitted (and, props to him, corrected) a few years later in the much missed Add Some Music 'zine.
Andrew, if the 1977 Christmas album has no info, how did you come up with the track order in your book? I always thought that it was submitted and rejected by WB? I use your track list for my playlist every Christmas season. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2014, 10:11:52 AM »

Making Waves label - Canada - vinyl bootlegs - 1983

Beach Boys New Album (Collector’s Series #1)  (Black and orange vinyl)
Beach Boys Adult Child (Collector’s Series #2)
Beach Boys Merry Christmas (Collector’s Series #3)
Beach Boys California Feeling (Collector’s Series #4)  (Title misspelled on the cover (Califonia Feeling) but the title on the record label is spelt correctly).

And if you're going to collect all of the original vinyl boots, in addition to the 3 or 4 SMiLE releases and the front and back SMiLE slicks, there is Landlocked, Adult Child *, California Feeling *, Made In USA, the Honeys box set, Bamboo, Brian Loves You, Hawthorne Hot Shots, Bob & Sheri single w/sleeve. Pamela Jean, and the KPUK sleeve.

* Note that Adult Child and California Feeling are different than the 'Making Waves' versions above.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 10:31:43 AM by Mikie » Logged

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2014, 11:24:38 AM »

Andrew, if the 1977 Christmas album has no info, how did you come up with the track order in your book? I always thought that it was submitted and rejected by WB? I use your track list for my playlist every Christmas season. Wink

I was following Elliott's info, but in the ten years since that revision was published, I've come to the conclusion that said info is, at best, spurious. I doubt the album was ever seriously considered, much less compiled and submitted.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2014, 11:26:23 AM »

Making Waves label - Canada - vinyl bootlegs - 1983

Beach Boys New Album (Collector’s Series #1)  (Black and orange vinyl)
Beach Boys Adult Child (Collector’s Series #2)
Beach Boys Merry Christmas (Collector’s Series #3)
Beach Boys California Feeling (Collector’s Series #4)  (Title misspelled on the cover (Califonia Feeling) but the title on the record label is spelt correctly).

There was  also a very limited edition pressed up on gold vinyl. 10 of each.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2014, 02:15:58 PM »

Time to 'fess up, I was wrong - there was a master prepared for Merry Christmas From The Beach Boys, tracks as listed in Elliott.

Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2014, 06:35:38 PM »

Time to 'fess up, I was wrong - there was a master prepared for Merry Christmas From The Beach Boys, tracks as listed in Elliott.

So that one's confirmed, as is "Adult Child", but "New Album" is still dubious, right?

"New Album" always seemed like such an odd hodgepodge of tracks that I'm curious about who would think that it was a credible album in the first place (either the band or later bootleggers).  Even with most of the band in a bad chemical place at that point, I can't picture anyone thinking, yeah, this is how we want to follow up "Love You", that's not career suicide in any way...

Cheers,
Jon Blum
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 06:57:00 PM by Jonathan Blum » Logged
Nicko1234
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2014, 06:40:02 PM »

So that one's confirmed, but "New Album" is still dubious, right?

"New Album" always seemed like such an odd hodgepodge of tracks that I'm curious about who would think that it was a credible album in the first place (either the band or later bootleggers).  Even with most of the band in a bad clemical place at that point, I can't picture anyone thinking, yeah, this is how we want to follow up "Love You", that's not career suicide in any way...

Cheers,
Jon Blum

100% agreed.
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2014, 06:55:30 PM »

Look, all I'm sayin' is, if someone has a copy of "New Album" to spare.... contact me by PM. ;-)

That's ALL I'm sayin'. ;-)
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2014, 07:05:31 PM »

How much you got?  That's ALL I'm sayin'.

Nicko1234
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2014, 07:56:13 PM »

Look, all I'm sayin' is, if someone has a copy of "New Album" to spare.... contact me by PM. ;-)

That's ALL I'm sayin'. ;-)

Youtube is your friend...

Or your enemy perhaps considering the quality of this `album`.
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2014, 10:28:48 PM »

This is for AGD... The fact that Rock & Roll Music is a "faders up" mix just blows my mind. I thought the MIC mix was brilliant.., from the echo on Mike's voice, the extra percussion and that amazing falsetto beginning with the third chorus. If all this was in the original mix, do you think the rest of the album would benefit from the same kind of "faders up" mix? Could 15 Big Ones be a buried treasure, suffering from a bad mix? Man, I'd love to hear a faders up mix of It's OK.

Also - do we know what Bruce Johnston's reaction was to Alan Boyd's brilliant remix of the 1978 version of "California Feelin'"?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2014, 11:16:29 PM »

So that one's confirmed, as is "Adult Child", but "New Album" is still dubious, right?

"New Album" always seemed like such an odd hodgepodge of tracks that I'm curious about who would think that it was a credible album in the first place (either the band or later bootleggers).  Even with most of the band in a bad chemical place at that point, I can't picture anyone thinking, yeah, this is how we want to follow up "Love You", that's not career suicide in any way...

Cheers,
Jon Blum

"New Album" has always struck me as the direct linear descendent of "Landlocked": a bunch of tracks cherry picked from the archives just to see what's there, with no thought of an album in mind. Hopefully further info will come to light.

TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2014, 12:19:04 AM »

If I remember, though, wasn't Brian describing (the unnamed) "New Album" as their next album in that widely circulated 'bathrobe' interview?
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2014, 04:05:05 PM »

That's the same interview where he says "I'm thinking of calling the album Brian's in Love."
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx