gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:30:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thursday, August 5, 1976  (Read 1521 times)
DSalter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 21, 2022, 08:34:02 PM »

I remember excitedly gathering in front of our family television on Thursday evening August 5, 1976, to watch the one-hour NBC special on the Beach Boys, who were all over the media that bi-centennial summer.

I know little about television production but assume that many hours of video were shot in June of that year and then carefully edited down to a 50-minute broadcast.

Does anyone know what may have happened to all that unused footage? Was it destroyed or is it stored in an NBC vault somewhere? It would be fascinating to see the raw footage and sad to think of it languishing in a vault never to be seen.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2022, 06:38:38 AM »

Great question and the Beach Boys it's okay was a really enjoyable documentary from the summer of 1976. I remember doing the same thing excitingly pulling up to the TV and watching that special. Loved all the band members solo spots and interview segments too. That was a great year for the Beach Boys
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2022, 08:16:26 AM »

I have that special burned on disc somewhere, pretty enjoyable viewing! I'll have to dig it out of a dusty box somewhere, I haven't seen it in years. There has since been a DVD rerelease called "Good Vibrations Tour" or something, anyone have that one?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but since Lorne Michaels produced that special, wouldn't the footage be the property of Lorne's "Broadway Video" company who also oversees SNL's archives? Or would NBC have it cataloged if any outtakes exist? I know NBC News has a pretty extensive archive available (for a fee, for research and licensing) but I'd think the raw footage would be in the hands of the production company Broadway Video. Just a guess.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2022, 08:27:52 AM »

Yes, it was released as "Good Vibrations Tour" on DVD. Someone once gave me a copy of that. Definitely needs an audio update (remaster and remix). Here's the intro with "Fun, Fun, Fun":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtJ_Kquafyg

I too wondered how much was shot. Personally I don't care too much about the footage off stage (although it's great to see Dennis on the Harmony) but I'd guess they filmed the complete show. That would make a great release, even though Bruce is missing.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2022, 09:01:27 AM »

Here are two articles about the special from August 5, '76:

« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 09:05:53 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2022, 09:10:22 AM »

Notice in the first article, Lorne Michaels said they shot 25 hours of video to edit down to 50 minutes for the TV special...so there were 24 hours' worth of Beach Boys video footage in existence in 1976, who knows where it ended up or how much of it was saved. But I think Broadway Video would be the first place to start.

Also note that Gary Weis was involved in the special...Gary is one of my all-time favorite directors, from the early days of SNL, and his early SNL short film showing travelers returning home to family members set to "Homeward Bound" is one of my favorite and most moving pieces of film I've ever seen. Check out Gary Weis' work, he was unique and terrific.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx