gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:13:25 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Which version of Big Sur do you prefer?  (Read 15152 times)
Bill M
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: March 28, 2014, 07:16:37 AM »

I like Holland version better. The Landlocked version sounds like a Folgers coffee commercial  to me.

Spot on.  Never thought of that, but I completely agree.
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 28, 2014, 08:08:24 PM »

Landlocked doesn't hold a candle to the Holland version.

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 28, 2014, 09:52:32 PM »

Currently after 42 votes:

Landlocked version - 17 votes - 40.48%
Holland version      - 25 votes - 59.52%

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
chrs_mrgn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 28, 2014, 09:59:50 PM »

Yeah i've been listening to the holland version a little more since i posted a few days ago.

I really do like them both just in different ways.

I think the Landlocked version is better in small part due to the fact that I found it afterwards.
It was sort of like this little secret treasure. It took me by surprise that the beach boys would write a song that sounded like this.
Also I have some memories of driving down the Oregon coast with this song playing.
Whenever i listen to it I sort of have that imagery in the back of my head. So i'm sure that has something to do with it as well.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 29, 2014, 11:15:13 AM »

Huh. Well, a little less than half the people on this thread think the Landlocked version can hold a candle up to the released version just fine. Including myself.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 29, 2014, 08:27:55 PM »

Huh. Well, a little less than half the people on this thread think the Landlocked version can hold a candle up to the released version just fine. Including myself.

Good for you. Congrats.
Ever hear of having an opinion?

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
jet without wings
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 29, 2014, 09:06:16 PM »

Holland version for me. Love the flow of all 3 parts to California Saga. One of Mikes finest moments. The landlocked  earlier version is fine, in waltz time.  Good enough to deserve an official release

Jet without wings
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 29, 2014, 09:20:59 PM »

I prefer the Holland version, but enjoy the 4/4 version. That Folgers coffee ad remark is spot on though.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #83 on: March 30, 2014, 02:20:38 AM »

A little overly sensitive there methinks, Mikie. I think the Holland version is vastly superior to the unreleased version in every respect - and in fact I think that a lot of people who prefer the unreleased version do so simply because its unreleased, its rarity value helping to boost their estimation of it - but I don't get all passive-aggressive just because someone else thinks differently. Opinions, it's all just opinions.

Although I am right.  
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 02:21:47 AM by Disney Boy (1985) » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 30, 2014, 02:36:32 AM »

Ah poop, we're all friends here…

I'm in the Holland preference camp but believe the "Landlocked" version is easily good enough in its own right, as previously stated. The real mystery is why it hasn't seen release on the 94 box, the American Band docu, the Endless Harmony soundtrack, the Hawthorn CA comp or Made in CA (not to mention 10 Years of Harmony etc)… so many squandered opportunities to release a diamond in their unreleased repertoire, and no reasons given (thus far…)…

I like the HOLLAND Deluxe theory but that doesn't explain 20 years of being overlooked in such rarities packages.

“We live in divisive times.”
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #85 on: March 30, 2014, 04:12:26 AM »

I'm in the Holland preference camp but believe the "Landlocked" version is easily good enough in its own right, as previously stated. The real mystery is why it hasn't seen release on the 94 box, the American Band docu, the Endless Harmony soundtrack, the Hawthorn CA comp or Made in CA (not to mention 10 Years of Harmony etc)… so many squandered opportunities to release a diamond in their unreleased repertoire, and no reasons given (thus far…)…

I like the HOLLAND Deluxe theory but that doesn't explain 20 years of being overlooked in such rarities packages.

Agreed. And you'd think Mike in particular would be keen to see it out there... Doesn't he realise Big Sur, in any incarnation, is one of his very finest 'solo' moments?
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 30, 2014, 04:29:42 AM »

By the way, do we know who produced the 4/4 version?
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 30, 2014, 08:58:10 AM »

A little overly sensitive there methinks, Mikie. I think the Holland version is vastly superior to the unreleased version in every respect - and in fact I think that a lot of people who prefer the unreleased version do so simply because its unreleased, its rarity value helping to boost their estimation of it - but I don't get all passive-aggressive just because someone else thinks differently. Opinions, it's all just opinions. Although I am right.  

Methinks you're wrong on all counts, Disney. When someone exaggerates and makes a general statement and says, "It can't hold a candle to it" after many people obviously like it, I'm allowed to call them on it, right? Am I allowed to give my opinion to counter the opinion? Of course I am, Disney! I'm pretty sure people are selecting the unreleased version not because it's unreleased, but simply because it's just plain very good at its face value, and because they just prefer it over the released version. It's just a matter of different tastes is all. And I don't think the unreleased version is "rare" at all. It's been available on various bootlegs since, what, the mid-80's? Both vinyl and CD. It's hard to believe it hasn't been formally released yet. But thanks for your input there, Disney. Appreciate it.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 09:06:15 AM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 30, 2014, 07:30:41 PM »

I like Holland version better. The Landlocked version sounds like a Folgers coffee commercial  to me.

Spot on.  Never thought of that, but I completely agree.

Definately... check it out again and you'll see the b.g. vocals loop like they designed it be listened to for about 15 seconds and no more. 

it's all kind of unfair, beacuse they prob. never would have released it like that, they would have fleshed the harmonies out more. 

still as it stands, the song, although gorgeous, is a 1 trick pony in it's "LandLocked" version.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: March 30, 2014, 10:24:57 PM »

and in fact I think that a lot of people who prefer the unreleased version do so simply because its unreleased, its rarity value helping to boost their estimation of it

Not me, boy! I prefer it because it is sonically way superior and a much more interesting arrangement. The Holland version sounds like a Smiley Smile version compared to the gorgeous original version!

The Landlocked version sounds like a Folgers coffee commercial  to me.

Rhapsody In Blue sounds like a coffee commercial to me, because it was used for a coffee commercial in the 80s. So what? That's the reason you prefer the Holland version??? Come on!!!

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 30, 2014, 10:54:28 PM »

Agreed. And you'd think Mike in particular would be keen to see it out there... Doesn't he realise Big Sur, in any incarnation, is one of his very finest 'solo' moments?

I'd like to know if the tape(s) etc in question are indeed in the vault or are missing, as an xplain for the non-inclusions

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 30, 2014, 11:19:14 PM »

and in fact I think that a lot of people who prefer the unreleased version do so simply because its unreleased, its rarity value helping to boost their estimation of it

Not me, boy! I prefer it because it is sonically way superior and a much more interesting arrangement. The Holland version sounds like a Smiley Smile version compared to the gorgeous original version!

The Landlocked version sounds like a Folgers coffee commercial  to me.

Rhapsody In Blue sounds like a coffee commercial to me, because it was used for a coffee commercial in the 80s. So what? That's the reason you prefer the Holland version??? Come on!!!

Music can evoke images. The images it just happens to conjure up for me is a cold morning in a mountain cabin. A woman wakes up to find her husband has made her a cup of coffee. They sit down at the table and enjoy their coffee.

A dog runs in wagging it's tail. They smile at it, pet him affectionately and laugh as they take the dog for a morning walk in the forest.

Doo-dee-dee-doo.

Cue Coffee brand logo.

That is what I see when I hear it.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: March 31, 2014, 01:42:41 AM »

Music can evoke images. The images it just happens to conjure up for me is a cold morning in a mountain cabin. A woman wakes up to find her husband has made her a cup of coffee. They sit down at the table and enjoy their coffee.

A dog runs in wagging it's tail. They smile at it, pet him affectionately and laugh as they take the dog for a morning walk in the forest.

Doo-dee-dee-doo.

Cue Coffee brand logo.

Cheesy The funny thing for me reading this is the image the Love You album evokes in my mind: A fat bearded man sitting at a table waiting for breakfast to be served and farting once in a while... Of course, that's only in my mind.

And what is the image the Holland version evokes in your mind?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: March 31, 2014, 01:45:24 AM »

Weed. Lots of weed. Industrial quantities of really, really good weed.  Brian's Trip

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 31, 2014, 02:21:20 PM »

I bet Mike could hot knife like a champ back in the day!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 31, 2014, 02:29:21 PM »

Doo-dee-dee-doo.

Cue Coffee brand logo.

Cheesy The funny thing for me reading this is the image the Love You album evokes in my mind: A fat bearded man sitting at a table waiting for breakfast to be served and farting once in a while... Of course, that's only in my mind.

Re: Love You, I get the same image... only put him at a huge pipe organ rather than the breakfast table.  LOL

The Holland version of Big Sur conjures a hot mojave desert. An eagle flies in and takes me on a tour of the california coast, away from the barren heat to a land of beauty where the rugged mountain meets the water. In other words, it compliments the lyrics. The waltz tempo really changes to whole feel of the song for me.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx