gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680756 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 02:33:09 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Which version of Big Sur do you prefer?  (Read 15215 times)
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2014, 02:47:11 PM »

Prefer the Holland version - evocative, laid back, a bit world weary, intimate and sets a good mood/atmosphere for Beaks and the eventual lift of California

Landlocked version is very good and I'd love to have an official version on hand.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 11:58:06 PM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2014, 06:23:10 PM »

I'll also vote for the Holland version. It helps that I have an affinity for country music from this era.

Has this song ever been used for a movie? It seems like it would fit perfectly in a film setting.
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2014, 06:35:20 PM »

version on holland

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2014, 08:18:59 PM »

version on holland

hey stranger!

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2014, 08:42:14 PM »

Hello

Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2014, 08:47:06 PM »

Another for Holland, although let it be known I think this question, this forced choice, is heinous since they're both excellent in different ways!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2014, 08:48:43 PM »

Steve's no stranger.  He's just a hard workin' guy.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2014, 08:52:07 PM »

Steve's no stranger.  He's just a hard workin' guy.

yep..mikie's right, I do work a lot but also been going thru a rough spell. but I stopped by tonight for a visit..  Smiley

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2014, 09:03:23 PM »

Hang tough and have a brewski on me, man.  Smiley

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2014, 02:21:16 AM »

Easily the Holland version for me. I never understood why most people prefer the 4/4 version.

Not this fan* - the decision to pare it back to campfire basics to fit with the rest of the "California Saga" suite was 100% correct. The so-called Landlocked version is way too lush.

[* - since you asked... "Let The Wind Blow"... "All I Wanna Do"... "Viggie" (the ocarina mix)... "Kiss Me, Baby"]

Agreed 100%.
Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2014, 02:55:22 AM »

They made the right decision to release the version they did!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2014, 05:11:35 AM »

Hang tough and have a brewski on me, man.  Smiley

Man, I'd love to put a brewski on you!

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2014, 07:37:41 AM »

Can we have a Mikie and Bgas panel at the next BBs convention? Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Bill M
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2014, 08:31:35 AM »

Please put me down for the Holland version.  The harmonica, acoustic guitar, & steel guitar add an appropriate feel, imo.  It goes well with "(On My Way to Sunny) California."  I don't hate the 4/4, just find it a bit syrupy.
chrs_mrgn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2014, 10:12:51 AM »

The landlocked version is far superior.

The opening vocal doo doe's and the background vocal in general are glorious.
It sounds much less forced and just flows.

Mike's vocals are beautiful and in fact are probably one of my top 10 by the band.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2014, 02:21:42 AM »

Are the great number of votes for the Holland version the result of some kind of backlash against so many people going apewaste over the original? The Holland version's nice, but the original blows it away in every aspect. To me, there's no recording of a Mike song out there that even comes close to the 4/4 version, and while not Brian Wilson, the guy isn't a terrible songwriter or anything. At least not back then.

I'm not even sure if I'd find the Holland version especially worthwhile if not for having gotten into the original version. The humming/harmonica/etc. are nice, but unlike the original version, I don't find myself missing those additions when listening to the original, where as when listening to the Holland version, I find myself missing a lot of the stuff from the original. I can't help but sing the backing vocals from the original.

The original feels much more Beach Boys-y, too (in a good way). I would not hesitate to toss it onto any multi-disc highlights collection that attempts to span/sum up their career where as the Holland version is just kind of cute in the context of the Holland album.

imo imo imo

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2014, 02:56:28 AM »

Please put me down for the Holland version.  The harmonica, acoustic guitar, & steel guitar add an appropriate feel, imo.  It goes well with "(On My Way to Sunny) California."  I don't hate the 4/4, just find it a bit syrupy.
Exactly.
In the Holland version, there's something going on, like unspoken darkness underneath the shiny cover, it's so subtle and every note, every sound and every instrument is just right. Landlocked version comes anywhere near it.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2014, 05:13:43 AM »

The Holland version, on the other hand, reminds me of Bob Dylan and i have no tolerance for Bob Dylan.
Not sure how "Big Sur" Holland could remind you of Dylan, Mike's voice is absolutely different, but I thank you for saying the last bit. Now we're holy trinity of Dylan dislikers; Wrightfan also ignores him like sth. monstrous & tasteless cheap stuff. Dig people who have grits for contradicting the popular notion.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2014, 05:25:47 AM »

Are the great number of votes for the Holland version the result of some kind of backlash against so many people going apewaste over the original? The Holland version's nice, but the original blows it away in every aspect. To me, there's no recording of a Mike song out there that even comes close to the 4/4 version, and while not Brian Wilson, the guy isn't a terrible songwriter or anything. At least not back then.

I'm not even sure if I'd find the Holland version especially worthwhile if not for having gotten into the original version. The humming/harmonica/etc. are nice, but unlike the original version, I don't find myself missing those additions when listening to the original, where as when listening to the Holland version, I find myself missing a lot of the stuff from the original. I can't help but sing the backing vocals from the original.

The original feels much more Beach Boys-y, too (in a good way). I would not hesitate to toss it onto any multi-disc highlights collection that attempts to span/sum up their career where as the Holland version is just kind of cute in the context of the Holland album.

imo imo imo

And I respect the imo imo imo Wink

I like the original version a lot, but in my opinion, there's something slightly "wimpy" about the feel, whereas the Holland version has a more "pioneering" feel, which is what I get out of the intent of the song.

Can I/we also assume that Mike preferred the Holland version? While he didn't produce the Holland album, did Mike have the final say on his own songs?
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2014, 05:38:46 AM »

The Holland version, on the other hand, reminds me of Bob Dylan and i have no tolerance for Bob Dylan.
Not sure how "Big Sur" Holland could remind you of Dylan, Mike's voice is absolutely different, but I thank you for saying the last bit. Now we're holy trinity of Dylan dislikers; Wrightfan also ignores him like sth. monstrous & tasteless cheap stuff. Dig people who have grits for contradicting the popular notion.
I think the harmonica reminds Monicker of Dylan, not the voice. I'm not particularly fond of Dylan myself. A formidable songwriter but impossible to listen to at any length.       

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 28, 2014, 05:45:50 AM »

I think the harmonica reminds Monicker of Dylan, not the voice. I'm not particularly fond of Dylan myself. A formidable songwriter but impossible to listen to at any length.       

You know, I never realized it before, but Mike Love's vocal on Holland's "Big Sur" does resemble Bob Dylan - around that time period - 1970-1973. And, Bob Dylan was a great, great singer.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 28, 2014, 06:06:14 AM »

The 4/4 version we can listen to is very lo-fi, probably mastered from a cassette copy. That said, I think 3/4 fits better in Holland than 4/4 would fit in Sunflower or Surf's Up.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 28, 2014, 06:06:59 AM »

Well, I'd be really surprised if that's so. Bob Dylan isn't like the 1st harmonica player ever in the whole music industry, is he? Not even a virtuoso. Fwiw, Brian Jones was a much better harmonica player.

We are 4 now, yahoo!

Sheriff, we're going to respectfully disagree with your assessment of Dylan being a "great" singer.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 28, 2014, 06:29:23 AM »

I like Holland version better. The Landlocked version sounds like a Folgers coffee commercial  to me.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 28, 2014, 06:37:41 AM »

The Landlocked version sounds like a Folgers coffee commercial  to me.
Don't know about that trademark but actually I too had impression after hearing the 4/4 that it could fit for commercial, maybe "Bounty" (boring chocolate, btw, and I'm a big chocolate fan).

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx