gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:55:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The fate of the Still Cruisin' Corvettes  (Read 6701 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 24, 2014, 04:16:13 PM »

While this article is a few years old, I just happened upon it, and I'm posting here since it's kinda sorta interesting and BB-related... apologies if this was posted before (the search function didn't turn up anything).

http://jalopnik.com/5472253/peter-maxs-36-vintage-corvettes-the-full-story
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 04:17:57 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 08:25:06 AM »

As a car hobby person, this strikes me as sad and stupid.  The cars could have been detailed, put in running condition, and sold on any one of the many high profile car auctions held around the country each year.  The provenance  of these vehicles would have provided substantial interest and even sharpened the bidding at any of these auctions.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 09:00:05 AM »

Fascinating article and story - Thank you for posting! The part that's hard to believe...well, not hard to believe but somewhat of a tragedy, is that the Corvette club featured prominently in the story at times offered to restore and maintain the cars to preserve them, only to have the artist decline and prefer to keep them in mothballs. It's also funny to read how some of the "New York Elite" residents objected to the collection taking up "their" valuable parking space which they could be renting in that building for their luxury cars...douchebags.  Cheesy

We'll have to stay tuned and see what happens. I love old cars, got that from my Dad who was a Chevy mechanic going back to the early 50's so he saw the first year Vette roll into his workplace and it was spectacular, caused a stir because not every dealer got one, only the bigger producers...and like the car club folks mentioned in the article, I prefer "original" versions of any antique or classic car, and ones that actually drive and are street-legal. That, too, comes from my dad as we used to go to car shows and see all of the chopped-up customs, and think "you can never get the original metal back once it's cut off"...or in the case of Corvettes, fiberglass, but anyway...

If I see these Vettes ever reappear with those hideous Chip Foose giant-ass shiny rims instead of the original wheels... Roll Eyes

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 10:54:25 AM »

Peter Max is the real jerk of the story. Along with, perhaps, the guy who sold them to him. He likely could have got more money selling them one at a time and at least some of them would have found good homes.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 11:24:00 AM »

I wonder if any video ever surfaced of Mike and the Corvette gifting ceremony. I hope Still Cruisin' was played through the speakers of one of those 'Vettes at least once.
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 12:14:52 PM »

I wonder if any video ever surfaced of Mike and the Corvette gifting ceremony. I hope Still Cruisin' was played through the speakers of one of those 'Vettes at least once.

Yes, the video is on YouTube:

http://youtu.be/gUAe7BeTrIA

« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 01:17:39 PM by STE » Logged
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 03:44:50 PM »

Didn't Brian get a free sports car though some type of promotional tie-in? Was it a Beach Boys thing where they all got one, not just Brian and Landy? I wonder what happened to those cars.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 07:43:27 PM »

Yes, the video is on YouTube:

http://youtu.be/gUAe7BeTrIA

Patricia has posted some really interesting/lovely stuff lately! 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2014, 04:07:10 PM »

An update on this odd tangentially-BB-related story. I wonder if any of these Vettes have a 25-year-old Still Cruisin' cassette in the tape deck.

https://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/peter-max-handed--1-million-lawsuit-over-the-sale-of-abandoned-corvette-collection-205334113.html
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2019, 02:45:58 AM »

Saw this coincidentlly while looking for something else.

http://www.bootlegzone.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=32357

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2019, 03:22:26 AM »

It’s all good. They are now being restored and driven, including an episode of Jerry Seinfeld ‘Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee’.

Full story and update here.

https://youtu.be/cEfTxlzkTRY
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2019, 07:26:00 AM »

It’s all good. They are now being restored and driven, including an episode of Jerry Seinfeld ‘Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee’.

Fascinating, thanks for sharing!  What I wonder is if this song Still Cruisin' was written specifically for this contest, or if it was just a car song that was already in the can which was deemed usable for promotion for this contest completely separately and coincidentally.

Also - For anyone who wants to raise an eyebrow:

At 5:30, "ex-Beach Boy Mike Love"
Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2019, 11:08:06 AM »

Fascinating, thanks for sharing!  What I wonder is if this song Still Cruisin' was written specifically for this contest, or if it was just a car song that was already in the can which was deemed usable for promotion for this contest completely separately and coincidentally.

Also - For anyone who wants to raise an eyebrow:

At 5:30, "ex-Beach Boy Mike Love"

The story linked above also referred to him as "ex-Beach Boy Mike Love." Thought that was strange. I'll be the guy who did the video was just repeating what the Jalopnik article said.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2019, 11:22:17 AM »

Another older story (2015) but these cars are in great hands.

https://youtu.be/ge1p025V6Wk

I can see this collection one day being in a museum and as mentioned, the giveaway and 25 year storage just adds to the mystique. Expect a picture of Mike ,ex or not, to be in there as part of the tale.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 11:26:54 AM by Pretty Funky » Logged
roffels
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2019, 11:00:12 PM »

Peter Max is the real jerk of the story. Along with, perhaps, the guy who sold them to him. He likely could have got more money selling them one at a time and at least some of them would have found good homes.

I realize I'm replying to an ancient post, but how many realistically can or want to deal with the logistics of owning 30+ cars, storage, and deal with selling them? I'd take the cash too.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2019, 07:00:22 AM »

I realize I'm replying to an ancient post, but how many realistically can or want to deal with the logistics of owning 30+ cars, storage, and deal with selling them? I'd take the cash too.

Exactly. 99.9% of average schlubs who would have possibly won this contest would have ended up selling most or all of them. I guarantee the most common answer to someone who would be asked "what would you do if you won?" would be something like "I'd maybe keep one or two and sell the rest" or "I'd sell them all."

Even a well-to-do individual with a huge home and plenty of money would have logistical problems with the storing and upkeep of 36 cars.

The vast majority of people would not have not have the resources, space, or money for even a few months let alone years to just sit on dozens of cars and sell them one by one slowly. And, like game show prizes, would they be taxed on their winnings? That would be a hefty tax to pay for whatever 36 Corvettes would be worth.

Most anybody, upon winning this contest, would likely be *very quickly* hustling to sell these things off as quickly as possible. In all fairness, I haven't read up on all the background on this story. Would the organizers have worked with the winner on the logistics of all of this? Or would it end up being like that Simpsons episode where Bart wins an elephant from a radio contest and they just unload an elephant out in the front of his house one day and speed off?

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx