gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:20:16 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Interesting GOK cover from 1972, by Mandy More  (Read 1160 times)
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 26, 2014, 10:10:26 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKpdDhigpJM

That's More with one O - not the two-O Mandy who also covered GOK with Michael Stipe a while back. Mandy More was a singer who worked mainly in musicals in the UK and in '72 recorded an album - her only one - for Philips, released in Britain but nowhere else.  The concluding track is this somewhat unusual arrangement.  The rest of the record is also pretty remarkable for the time - some of the handful of bloggers and online reviewers who've discussed the record regard it as a kind of precursor of Kate Bush's work. It was reissued in 2011 by the Sunbeam label, with a lot of bonus tracks including a demo of GOK.  By that time Ms Moore was suffering from dementia and was hardly aware her work had been rediscovered. She died last year.   
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 10:39:57 PM »

I had no idea she had dementia or had died last year, what a shame. This is indeed a phenomenal album that y'all should check out beyond the excellent "God Only Knows" interpretation.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 05:08:02 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKpdDhigpJM

That's More with one O - not the two-O Mandy who also covered GOK with Michael Stipe a while back. Mandy More was a singer who worked mainly in musicals in the UK and in '72 recorded an album - her only one - for Philips, released in Britain but nowhere else.  The concluding track is this somewhat unusual arrangement.  The rest of the record is also pretty remarkable for the time - some of the handful of bloggers and online reviewers who've discussed the record regard it as a kind of precursor of Kate Bush's work. It was reissued in 2011 by the Sunbeam label, with a lot of bonus tracks including a demo of GOK.  By that time Ms Moore was suffering from dementia and was hardly aware her work had been rediscovered. She died last year.   

UGH. Definitely not for me. Her voice just sounds odd and the music almost sounds disco-ey.
Funny that after emphasizing the one "O" in her name you end by referring to her as Moore....

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 06:18:24 AM »

Na-na na na-na na NO.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 11:53:01 AM »

Personaly, I can't stand this version.  The original "God Only Know" is one of the most beautiful things ever recorded.  This cover is not.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx