gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:31:07 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So c-man... about that online sessionography....  (Read 17373 times)
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 21, 2014, 06:52:42 AM »

... ...

Tongue
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 07:00:46 AM »

... ...

Tongue

Hey now, pixletwin, he said it would be ready for Christmas....

What we didn't know is it would be Christmas 2045!

Nah, jk. We love you c-man, and whenever the thing's ready most of us will be all over it.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 08:15:48 AM »

Pix, don't bug C-man.  He's busy working on the 'Carl & The Passions So Tough' sessions.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 08:29:23 AM »

[Cohen]I don't think we're ever going to see it[/Cohen]
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 10:39:51 AM »

"As I sit and close my eyes, there's peace in my mind, and I'm hoping that you'll find it, too".
Smiley

The MIC online sessionogrpahy (with accompanying track-by-track essays) is inching toward completion. To be exact, here is what's finished as of now:
INTRODUCTION: the band history/backstory
DISC ONE: track credits, two/thirds of the essays
DISC TWO: track credits, one half of the essays
DISC THREE: track credits, all of the essays
DISC FOUR: track credits, one fourth of the essays
DISC FIVE: track credits
DISC SIX: track credits

Most likely, the introduction & Disc One credits/essays will go online first, followed by those for each succeeding disc, on a weekly or bi-weekly basis. To coincide with the posting of the Disc Two credits/essays, I plan to also post a sessionorgraphy for Disc One of The SMiLE Sessions, as many people have asked for this, and it was more-or-less promised back at the time of that set's release.

I have NO DOUBT that everyone who reads the finished product will consider the wait well worth it! Many questions will be answered, and a few long-held assumptions will be refuted. Along the way, there are many, many surprises awaiting for hardcore Beach Boys fans. This will pretty much be the definitive, be-all-and-end-all account of the creation of these timeless recordings, as most everything that is known will be included. It will be the equivalent of Mark Lewisohn's Beatles session book, combined with my SMiLE Sessions credits approach, applied in a track-by-track fashion to the MIC box set. And I hope everyone has as much fun reading it as I have preparing it!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 10:41:51 AM by c-man » Logged
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 10:42:39 AM »

I don't understand the constant asking him about the sessionography as if he forgot about the project and this will remind him and get him to finish it. He will obviously notify us when it is finished, as i'm sure he's just as eager as everyone else to get it out.

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 10:43:54 AM »

Great news C-man!  Thanks for all your work!  Grin
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 11:07:39 AM »

Soon as its published I'll be asking for a re-pressing of the Disc 3 track credits and essays to accompany my re-pressed Disc 3. I have it on good authority that the essay on Surf's Up is missing the last full-stop and paragraph mark…

“We live in divisive times.”
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2014, 12:29:31 PM »

Thanks c-man for being so agreeable by answering in various threads what must be a lot of annoying pestering questions.  LOL

I know smilers are asking  about it in this thread or that thread. I figured it would be easier to have it in one visible place.

3D
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2014, 12:38:14 PM »

No annoyance felt, whatsover. I completely understand people's interest...belive me, I want it done as much as the next person! Smiley
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2014, 12:43:33 PM »

"As I sit and close my eyes, there's peace in my mind, and I'm hoping that you'll find it, too".
Smiley

The MIC online sessionogrpahy (with accompanying track-by-track essays) is inching toward completion. To be exact, here is what's finished as of now:

Most likely, the introduction & Disc One credits/essays will go online first, followed by those for each succeeding disc, on a weekly or bi-weekly basis. To coincide with the posting of the Disc Two credits/essays, I plan to also post a sessionorgraphy for Disc One of The SMiLE Sessions, as many people have asked for this, and it was more-or-less promised back at the time of that set's release.

I have NO DOUBT that everyone who reads the finished product will consider the wait well worth it! Many questions will be answered, and a few long-held assumptions will be refuted. Along the way, there are many, many surprises awaiting for hardcore Beach Boys fans. This will pretty much be the definitive, be-all-and-end-all account of the creation of these timeless recordings, as most everything that is known will be included. It will be the equivalent of Mark Lewisohn's Beatles session book, combined with my SMiLE Sessions credits approach, applied in a track-by-track fashion to the MIC box set. And I hope everyone has as much fun reading it as I have preparing it!

Very cool! Are you writing all of the essays?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2014, 12:48:41 PM »

Smiley

Very cool! Are you writing all of the essays?

Yes, indeed. I've been very fortunate to have been supplied a ton of great information from Alan Boyd and Mark Linett, along with other sources. Taking that raw information, adding the relevant historical perspective, and converting it into essays is what's taking so dad-blamed long.
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2014, 01:52:10 PM »

That sounds killer. Hopefully it covers their whole career and not just the (comparative) sampling on MIC! Maybe that's asking a bit much...

Watch out for snakes!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2014, 02:32:25 PM »

That sounds killer. Hopefully it covers their whole career and not just the (comparative) sampling on MIC! Maybe that's asking a bit much...

At this time, just the MIC tracks are covered in-depth.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2014, 02:48:39 PM »

Really looking to this treat, thanks for the update, c-man! Happy to paypal you a coffee should you be burning the midnight oil!

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2014, 03:26:33 PM »

Really looking to this treat, thanks for the update, c-man! Happy to paypal you a coffee should you be burning the midnight oil!

Thanks - I might just take you up on that!
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2014, 05:38:38 PM »

At this time, just the MIC tracks are covered in-depth.

Fair enough! Looking forward to it!

Watch out for snakes!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2014, 02:05:55 PM »

It will be the equivalent of Mark Lewisohn's Beatles session book...

I sincerely hope it'll be better than that, as Lewishon has admitted since the first edition that some of his statements of fact were actually assumptions on his part which later proved to be unfounded, if not actually misleading.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2014, 08:39:32 PM »

It will be the equivalent of Mark Lewisohn's Beatles session book...

I sincerely hope it'll be better than that, as Lewishon has admitted since the first edition that some of his statements of fact were actually assumptions on his part which later proved to be unfounded, if not actually misleading.

Hmm...wasn't aware of that...are these admissions of his available somewhere online? I would at least hope he got the dates, locations, engineers' names & track info right, from reliable sources!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 08:40:56 PM by c-man » Logged
alanjames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2014, 09:39:53 PM »

Any news?
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2014, 11:44:10 PM »

I'm particularly curios about the track "Why?". It just sounds to, well, good to be a late 1970's recording.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2014, 03:43:30 AM »

Any news?

It's coming...trust me, this isn't one of those things that you hear about, but it never happens. It's gonna happen. Soon. Like, this month-ish. Smiley
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2014, 03:43:49 AM »

I'm particularly curios about the track "Why?". It just sounds to, well, good to be a late 1970's recording.

It's an MIU outtake, no question about it.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2014, 04:04:00 AM »

I remember reading an interview with some Beach Boys associate (Munoz?) saying how Brian was creating stuff like this at the time, but didn't use  any of it - then we had the inevitable charges from some correspondents implying that Munoz (or whoever) was making this up to suggest Brian was more in control of his faculties than he actually was...
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2014, 06:06:42 AM »

Regarding the Smile sessions c-man, I'm still itching to know where the Child Is Father To The Man chorus acetate was discovered / sourced from.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx