-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 05:55:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Bellagio 10452
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Oops
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Oops  (Read 88319 times)
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2016, 10:29:04 PM »

I've had... let's see here... Bubbly Waves; Wuvvly Babes; Bubba Waves; Bubs Waves; B Dubs; Down by the Banks of the Hanky Panky; %100 Wrong; Mr. Research Guy; Schmubbly Schmaves; Smug, Condescending & Patronizing; Frasier Crane; Big Star is better than The Who; The Unremarkable Bubbly Waves; and a quick succession of XTC is a really good band, runnersdialeight, runnersBILEzero, runners is a swell guy, and then runners dials zero friends (cuz he doesn't have any). Now I'm Bubs.

If anyone else remembers any that I haven't listed, I would love to hear it.

Gonna hafta add A Bigger Loser to the list.

To say nothing of Hüsker Düde. Brilliant! LOL

Instead of high-jacking the 2016 Music thread I decided to put this in the oops file.  Been wanting to post over here anyway.  So first...

Hey John,  Some of the things in this thread still strike me as strange to revisit.  I never did delete a post upstream, that maybe I should have.  I don't think we should just delete posts.  It's history.  I had to make some changes in my welcome due to not understanding what was going on.  Now it's stuff I no longer deal with, but there are clues to what went on behind the scene, in PMs.  It left holes in my welcome, which is a thread, and should have not been tampered with on the whim of a member.  I'm leaving the post here as a reminder to myself to be careful while on the internet.  I've only been doing this since 2005.  So a novice I am.  oops.

And there are thoughts in this thread I have given some thought to.  I too think about people who disappear, I mean long time posters, or someone with enough posts over a period of time, that you know they were one time a part of our club.  We don't usually know what happened.
  Some of them do die.  If their is nobody that knows about the fact that they were here, nobody to get their password, log into their account, and post that they are gone.  Then it's like they disappear...

Okay.  Josh and the name changing.  I think Josh, and Rei too, they are just having fun with it.  If it's anybody I read or post with, I can tell easily when they change their name.  Maybe all the people doing it feel different one morning and want to create a new "you."  Sometimes for a season, sometimes cause they are drunk, stoned, or whatever, and change it in the middle of the night, then wake up wondering "Now what did I, why did I think that was a good idea last night..."

The oops here is for Husker Dude.  I had heard of this cover band.  I had seen a couple of live clips with them playing with the original bass player.  I also figured it might be because you like Husker Du.  That turned out to be it.  Like I said, I never got into Husker Du's music, but they were popular in their day.  There's so much music now, and from back when - it's impossible to hear it all and keep playing it all, all the time.  I am still finding music from years ago that I didn't have the time for when I was living through it, but discover on youtube or somewhere.  Great music. To find after all these years.  I found some of that today.  Trouble is, I have to fit it into my heavy schedule of playing the stuff that holds my attention week after week.  I have records I've played hundreds of times, and some only a couple.  I can play the same few dozen records week after week for years.  The names don't matter, they're all different for each of us anyway.  I don't want to own things just to collect, but I do.  I think we get caught up in that with the ease of downloading.  I do like to collect boots.  My hard drive is full of stuff I haven't had the time to listen to even once.  Concerts especially.  I give up on some players, but if I like an artist, there is some era or favorite albums I will like forever, even if I stop playing them for a few years, they will eventually cycle back in.

It's getting late.  I'm gonna cycle out of here for now.  John, thanks for the use of your space to ramble for a while...   We will see where else this thread can go. 
-Will

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2016, 10:30:44 PM »

John,  You got to your second page, man.  far out.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2016, 09:44:22 AM »

Will, thank you for your enlightened and inspirational post.

I think I have now caught up with who's who in the alias-changing department. This is mainly thanks to you, RRA1 and whoever else addresses others by their real name, and to Josh and Rei for their posts in this topic. If only all problems were this small!!

And yes, anyone who has something to say that to their mind doesn't require a new topic and doesn't fit into any old ones is most welcome to post it here. They say cyberspace is infinite but I'm not so sure.

Now all we have to do is somehow make it through the next couple of weeks before we know whether Billy has won the Burger Showdown... 

All the best to you, my friend. :=)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2016, 12:32:18 PM »

State of shock here. Not much else to say right now.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2016, 12:59:16 PM »

Shock or not, rules are for everybody, john. It's not the mods's fault, he should have behaved himself well and known that this getting away as BBs historian wouldn't be for long. Life still goes on. The board was alright in his absence due to outside duties anyway. Nobody kept biting nails waiting when he steps in. Posters still posted et al. Some people you and co. mostly hang out in the gen. music corner of this board. C'mon, don't be upset.

True, I do most of my posting in the general music corner but I do follow as much of what's going on in the main section as I can (or at least the topics that interest me). And generally, I'm quite content simply to read those topics. There's so much to learn there without chiming in. And now an important voice has been silenced. No idea whose fault it is, it's just a great shame it had to happen.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2016, 01:21:51 PM »

Fair enough but on a positive note, there is still his bellagio site. He takes bulk of the info from there. Besides, you can track him down in other BB/BW boards. He posts in BBB, f.ex.

True, there is always his site, which I consult with great regularity, just to get things right. And it has an email address if I'm really stuck...     

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2016, 12:32:01 PM »

I see the name-changing has started again. Most confusing. Just when I was at the point of discovering who Rei was, they decided to call themselves something else! So it's back to square one...
Here we go again. Who the f*ck is Esoteric?Thud

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2016, 03:05:09 PM »

Roger the Shrubber.  He should have kept it as such.  Does he still use the smeared cream cheese story in his signature?  I'd have to check, but that was always a tip-off when he changed names.  Many of his posts are cool.  Plays music too.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2016, 12:58:49 AM »

Roger the Shrubber.  He should have kept it as such.  Does he still use the smeared cream cheese story in his signature?  I'd have to check, but that was always a tip-off when he changed names.  Many of his posts are cool.  Plays music too.

Thanks, Will. Sorry for the bad language. I guess I'm just not a fan of all this name-changing. It amazes me that people don't crack up because of it. Maybe they do.

And, on a positive note, hearty congrats on reaching your 1000th post. :=)

I didn't get that cheese story, tbh. What clowns got to do with it?..

"Homeless clowns smear old cheese on my uncle's electric piano."

This was too good not to quote on "my" other board, so it's been saved for posteriority. 

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2016, 02:33:45 AM »

Yes, that's the one. I don't get the humor. What clowns got to do with piano? Should they not work in circus?What for they spilled cheese over it? Why would the uncle invite total strangers to his house? It's too random, mixing 1st words that came to mind. I don't get what is "too good" about it. Can you explain, john?

RR, you take these plays on words too literally. It's the unlikely juxtaposition that makes it funny. Just try picturing the scene in your mind. It cracks me up.   

That said, humour is oh so subjective, so if it doesn't make you laugh, no problem. But there's nothing to explain, really.   

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2016, 04:09:57 PM »

It's very cool that we can say anything in your thread.
I see your past signature's back. I'm glad, the other one was such a mouthful. Long siggys bore me, usually.
I'm gonna bite - what's your favorite cereal?

Yes, this topic is an oasis of freedom----anything goes.

The initial push to revert to my old signature (and avatar statement----atmosphere instead of palindromes) was seeing rab2591's hilarious parody of my "siggy" (I think he still has it). Mine used to be Mikie's old signature in lower case with some of the letters capitallzed as a comment to Andrew.)  This is rab's:   

"aruba jamaica oh i wanna take ya bermuDa bahama cOme on pretty mama key largo moNTego baby why don't we go jamaica off the FlORida keys there's a place called kokomo that's where you wanna Go to gET away from iT all bODies in the sand tRopIcal driNK melting in YOUR hand we'll be falling in lOVe to the rhythm of A steeL drum band down in kokomo aruba jamaica ooh i wanna Take you to bermuda bahama come on pretty mama key largo montego baby why don't we go oh I waNna takE you down to kokomo"   

The capitals spell out "DON'T FORGET TO DRINK YOUR OVALTINE"----I bust a gut when I saw that. It was a sign to clean up and move on. So back came  my old Bowie quote.   

Cereal----I'd say granola, the real crunchy stuff...

bluesno1fann
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2016, 07:52:12 PM »

I see the name-changing has started again. Most confusing. Just when I was at the point of discovering who Rei was, they decided to call themselves something else! So it's back to square one...

Yes, it's always a mystery when a name is changed....
bluesno1fann
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2016, 08:07:17 PM »

Rei, who's in the picture?

Larry David, from Curb Your Enthusiasm
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2016, 05:57:31 AM »

Yes, it's always a mystery when a name is changed....

Hi, Labe. Grin

May I take this opportunity to say thank you, Bubs, thank you, Judd, for a wonderfully entertaining thread. I agree, that final post by Mr Rrats just doesn't belong there...

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2016, 01:59:54 PM »

Yes.  The biggest Oops of the week was my missing the Friday night showdown on a street called SMiLE in the Judd`n'Bubs thread.  Reading the final five pages on Saturday morning, and after the thread had been locked, just wasn't the same as it would have been to experience the Fireworks live.

I need an alert bell around my neck when something like that happens.

My thanks to Judd and Josh for a wonderful wonder.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2016, 03:48:33 AM »

john, do you think to change the thread name? Welcome page of john k or "Wondrous world of off-topic"/ "john k presents..." - jus' some cliche ideas.

"Oops" is just fine. It's like an afterthought. This is a topic where everyone can post afterthoughts of their own.

Mine right now taking the form of a question: Has halblaineisgood's "Cots" topic been locked?   

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2016, 04:39:43 AM »

OK, I think it's rather stupid title. Reminds some old BBs topics...
 Who creates the thread is able to lock it without authorities stepping in. I know Rei did it before & the poster in question too. F.ex., check your thread, there gotta be "lock" button. Then you can unlock it.

So he locked it. (I would never lock a thread of mine----why would I?) "Coon Rapids" is a most inscrutable man...

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2016, 12:52:29 PM »

Looking at the Calendar (after perusing the Upcoming Birthdays) I see that today is SMiLE-Holland's 42nd birthday.

When I first arrived on these cybershores it was Klaas (I believe that's his name) who graciously answered my questions.

Hartelijk gefeliciteerd, man, en nog heel veel jaren!     

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2016, 01:37:15 PM »

I am still curious - "in my other board", what does it mean? Do you own that board? I signed up there about half year back. Nobody replied.

I'm very glad to say I don't own it! (I often put "my" in inverted commas when describing it.)

It was launched when some members of the Capitol BB message board got fed up with how that board was being run (in 2009-2010). Now the Cap Board has gone and "my" board is quiet (although still active after six years)----which is why I make a nuisance of myself over here on a regular basis.       

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2016, 09:54:33 AM »

This is all I can find on The Chase of 20 May, in which Andrew took part. Maybe there's more to follow on their channel, but quite frankly I doubt it. I must say he looks in good spirits, all ten seconds of him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2ziYKHbuKg

You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2016, 10:36:07 AM »

This is all I can find on The Chase of 20 May, in which Andrew took part. Maybe there's more to follow on their channel, but quite frankly I doubt it. I must say he looks in good spirits, all ten seconds of him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2ziYKHbuKg

Just because Andrew was an integral part of the board doesn't mean the board was an integral part of him. Of course he's doing fine, it's just a message board at the end of the day, it's not like he got fired from being a BB historian. Wish they could've uploaded more of that show though.

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2016, 12:12:21 PM »

Wish they could've uploaded more of that show though.

They're more interested in the winner, which is understandable, I suppose...

Edit: There's a spot more AGD in this second clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SZOd1b8fPM

« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 08:30:59 AM by john k » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2016, 12:28:13 AM »

OSD gave good advice - if you got fat backside, big tummy that hangs down your pelvis & huge elephant legs - you must work out. or run like Swedish Frog. police

OSD lacks finesse.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2016, 04:03:17 AM »

or run like Swedish Frog. police

Swedish Frog only runs to work off his frustration about not getting his you-know-what.   

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2016, 06:33:24 AM »

I don't know if anyone else has this problem but if a post takes up much more than three or four lines I tend to skip it. 

With exceptions, of course (adamghost and Bean Bag come to mind).

"Got a short little span of attention" (Paul Simon).

I think skipping posts that feature more reading than you want to do is fine; but I would certainly hope that anyone who won't read longer posts (or only reads the first three or four lines) would typically refrain from participating in the discussion at hand. I would also say it might be hard then as well, if one is inclined to not read longer posts, for that person to post open questions to the forum as well (e.g. "Can anyone tell me which song this is?", etc.), because they're presumably, under those specific circumstances, not willing to try to research a possible answer with the search function on this board and have to read through posts to find an answer.

In the past, I've seen cases where it certainly appears debates are getting amped up in part because at least one side of the conversation is literally not reading the other posts (or all of the contents of the posts) before responding.

And what is written above is more than four lines, so here's hoping.....  3D

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9   Go Up
Print
Jump to: