-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:13:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: peteramescarlin.com
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Oops
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Oops  (Read 87725 times)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« on: March 15, 2014, 05:23:57 AM »

I think this is my third bout of posting here. Looking way back through the list of new arrivals it struck me that it's been pretty amiss of me not to have introduced myself at some stage, however briefly----for which my apologies. Perhaps I was waiting for Mike's 73rd birthday to do it. :=)

I'll be brief: It was getting Brian's "autobiography" as a birthday present a decade or so ago that reawakened my interest in the Boys (they'd always been on the edge of my radar----I'd grown up with their music). I then bought the Sunflower/Surf's Up! 2fer, as I was familiar with side two of SU. Several tracks in,  I was wondering what all the fuss was about (!) when I heard "All I Wanna Do". It was my on-the-road-to-Damascus moment. The next step was to find kindred spirits...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 03:29:06 PM »

I had to look up the meaning of phrase "road to Damaskus". Thanks for enriching (except unintentionally) my English vocabulary! And welcome, john, that was a goody fan story. I enjoy reading your posts in total.
As an aside, you have an interesting site, lots of cool info & rare music in there.
Thank you for your kind words, RRA1. :=)

I hope to stick around longer this time.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 01:05:24 PM by john k » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 06:31:00 AM »

Before this post, there had been no change in this section of the MB for three weeks. Indeed, the last posting member to join was DrZombi on April 25. And for a board this active, that's odd. I can only assume it's part of an (excuse the pun) across-the-board stagnation brought about by the dreaded social media...

Still not sure about all this name-changing, some of which is truly bizarre. It must be more than a little off-putting (read: confusing) for folks trying to find their feet here or seeking out information by poster name.   
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 03:30:25 AM by john k » Logged

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 03:18:20 PM »

Hey John,  Not over here often myself (I don't think many posters check this area - or anything but the main board), but Josh's new "welcome" caught my eye.  Now I see you too, leaving a very late "I'm Here"..."again"..."attention!"..."Here to stay this time!" post. Grin
Just kidding of course (you haven't been away since I joined have you?), I read your posts all the time.  Your 19 June post says it all.  Not many seem to want to create or add to these welcome threads.  Thanks for being the very first to welcome me to this wonderful site.  So, happy to do the same for you.
I do go over to your site sometimes, but the posters must all be over here.  Noticed you even have a thread telling posters about the best "other" sites to check out, not saying so much as a "but you could just stay here to have fun."  I did, just now, go over and put a birthday post to Bruce up. 
All the Best to you,  Will

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 02:59:53 PM »

Hey John,  Not over here often myself (I don't think many posters check this area - or anything but the main board), but Josh's new "welcome" caught my eye.  Now I see you too, leaving a very late "I'm Here"..."again"..."attention!"..."Here to stay this time!" post. Grin
Just kidding of course (you haven't been away since I joined have you?), I read your posts all the time.  Your 19 June post says it all.  Not many seem to want to create or add to these welcome threads.  Thanks for being the very first to welcome me to this wonderful site.  So, happy to do the same for you.
I do go over to your site sometimes, but the posters must all be over here.  Noticed you even have a thread telling posters about the best "other" sites to check out, not saying so much as a "but you could just stay here to have fun."  I did, just now, go over and put a birthday post to Bruce up. 
All the Best to you,  Will
Thank you for your kind words, Will. Not sure my posts here are particularly enthralling----the words "out of my depth" often come to mind. As for "my" site: my philosophy is that those that like it there drop in from time to time and those that don't, don't, without me needing to sing its praises. Very cool that you posted in Bruce's birthday thread. :=)     

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 12:24:20 PM »

I had to look up the meaning of phrase "road to Damaskus". Thanks for enriching (except unintentionally) my English vocabulary! And welcome, john, that was a goody fan story. I enjoy reading your posts in total.
As an aside, you have an interesting site, lots of cool info & rare music in there.
Thank you for your kind words, RRA1. :=)

I hope to stick around longer this time.

Curious to see RR's original post has inexplicably vanished. I'm not questioning anyone's motives----it's just curious, that's all... 

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 04:20:38 PM »

Very interesting.  She managed to do it on my Welcome thread as well.

The post on your thread seems completely harmless.  Why would the Mods find reason to delete it, leaving no foot-print?

It should be a ". post" at most.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2015, 03:27:48 AM »

Very interesting.  She managed to do it on my Welcome thread as well.

The post on your thread seems completely harmless.  Why would the Mods find reason to delete it, leaving no foot-print?

It should be a ". post" at most.

There is a "Delete" button, I see (at top right), and it works----I just used it on a trial post. That's good to know!

I did suggest in the "Birthday Weekend!" topic that she should learn some manners. That might explain it. Grin   

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 07:03:54 AM »

My posts' deletion doesn't mean anything. Nothing personal, I just want to -as weird as it may sound, coz most people do the opposite - make the post count less. I removed over 500 in 'Polls', 'Rank the Tracks', all of 'Welcomes', Reviews. Everything I said I still think & have much respect - for you, john, and Will.
 Hello

Fair enough, RR, no offence taken. i have to admit there's a certain satisfaction in deleting superfluous posts. ;=)

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 03:09:37 PM »

Hey, I've passed the 1000-post mark! Now Brian will get to see my question next time there's a Q&A. LOL

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2016, 02:24:17 PM »

I see the name-changing has started again. Most confusing. Just when I was at the point of discovering who Rei was, they decided to call themselves something else! So it's back to square one...

Re-reading this in the cold light of day, I would suggest that the main problem it poses is when you're looking up something somebody said using a previous alias. The pointlessness of name-changing is driven home by the fact that quoted posts retain the name at the time of posting, along with mentions of that name by other posters. So it's not even an across-the-board change (no pun intended). All rather messy.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 05:58:49 AM by john k » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2016, 09:19:07 AM »

G'day, john! Rei used to post in the Survivor threads - never missed a round! 3D I think you might rmbr him by name Jarhead, Love Surrounds Me, Come and See Her....., bluesno1fann.

You see? Four names before now! I did bump into bluesno1fann yesterday in someone's quote.

Thanks very much, RR. :=)

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2016, 01:53:49 PM »

I've had... let's see here... Bubbly Waves; Wuvvly Babes; Bubba Waves; Bubs Waves; B Dubs; Down by the Banks of the Hanky Panky; %100 Wrong; Mr. Research Guy; Schmubbly Schmaves; Smug, Condescending & Patronizing; Frasier Crane; Big Star is better than The Who; The Unremarkable Bubbly Waves; and a quick succession of XTC is a really good band, runnersdialeight, runnersBILEzero, runners is a swell guy, and then runners dials zero friends (cuz he doesn't have any). Now I'm Bubs.

If anyone else remembers any that I haven't listed, I would love to hear it.

Gonna hafta add A Bigger Loser to the list.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 05:12:24 PM by A Bigger Loser » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2016, 02:16:20 PM »

I've had... let's see here... Bubbly Waves; Wuvvly Babes; Bubba Waves; Bubs Waves; B Dubs; Down by the Banks of the Hanky Panky; %100 Wrong; Mr. Research Guy; Schmubbly Schmaves; Smug, Condescending & Patronizing; Frasier Crane; Big Star is better than The Who; The Unremarkable Bubbly Waves; and a quick succession of XTC is a really good band, runnersdialeight, runnersBILEzero, runners is a swell guy, and then runners dials zero friends (cuz he doesn't have any). Now I'm Bubs.

Good grief! No wonder I'm confused.

Wasn't there a brief time when a bunch of posters called themselves variations on the name Al Jardine? (Trouble is, there's no way of checking!) Maybe you did too...     

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2016, 02:29:50 PM »

Wasn't there a brief time when a bunch of posters called themselves variations on the name Al Jardine? (Trouble is, there's no way of checking!) Maybe you did too...     

Yeah, a lot of posters went by Jarhead monikers. I didn't do it.
I remember Woodstock, Judd, Zach Wolfe, Rei, Halblaineisgood, Shady, Rab, Smile Brian, and even Billy got in on the Jarhead thing.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2016, 02:37:44 PM »

Yeah, a lot of posters went by Jarhead monikers. I didn't do it.
I remember Woodstock, Judd, Zach Wolfe, Rei, Halblaineisgood, Shady, Rab, Smile Brian, and even Billy got in on the Jarhead thing.

That's the one! LOL

bluesno1fann
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2016, 06:34:44 PM »

Somebody mention me? Aha
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2016, 03:35:31 AM »

Somebody mention me? Aha

Yup. It's more your topic than mine these days. Grin

bluesno1fann
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2016, 03:59:55 AM »

Somebody mention me? Aha

Yup. It's more your topic than mine these days. Grin

Ironic, considering that I personally had nothing to do with this thread until now.....

And for the record, the past username I'm most fond of is BAmBU Dennis
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2016, 02:39:40 AM »

So Golden Raisins is halblaineisgood. Sheesh.

(Agreed, O-LI, BAmBU Dennis was a very cool username.)

bluesno1fann
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2016, 11:52:18 AM »

I third re: BAmBU Dennis. I liked the concept behind it. Lips Sealed  Any chance you get it back, Rei? & what's the current mean?

The current one is a reference to an Animals song, and is my username on Steve Hoffman.

As for reviving an old username, as fond as I am for some of my old ones I'm not really one that changes it back
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2016, 01:58:58 PM »

You know, I do miss some posters who were pretty active (and most readably so) until recently and then... nothing.

I used to worry about folks suddenly disappearing (are they ill, or worse?) but I've since learned that things aren't necessarily that dramatic in this fickle cyberworld.

Just thinking out loud...

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2016, 02:06:04 PM »

Does that 'delete' button still exist? Can't find it.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2016, 10:16:07 PM »

Does that 'delete' button still exist? Can't find it.

I have "quote", "modify" and "delete" buttons in the top right-hand corner of my own posts in this topic. And in the rest of this section of Smiley but nowhere else.   

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2016, 02:39:07 PM »

Gonna hafta add A Bigger Loser to the list.

To say nothing of Hüsker Düde. Brilliant! LOL

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9   Go Up
Print
Jump to: