-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 07:24:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Carnival Of Sound
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Oops
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Oops  (Read 88460 times)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2016, 12:30:03 PM »

I don't want to appear a killjoy (again) but that "moderation" thread is losing us good posters. As if we haven't lost enough already these past weeks. Now it seems drbeachboy has quit. One of the Voices of Reason.

In a just world that topic would close now and anyone wishing to push on further could do so by PM. 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2016, 12:53:15 PM »

I don't want to appear a killjoy (again) but that "moderation" thread is losing us good posters. As if we haven't lost enough already these past weeks. Now it seems drbeachboy has quit. One of the Voices of Reason.

In a just world that topic would close now and anyone wishing to push on further could do so by PM. 
Hm, didn't you say you don't read long posts/mod topic? How could you delve thru that to find what drbeachboy said?

It doesn't matter to me what he said----the thread's clearly out of control. And that's bad news. Everyone is getting hot under the collar and maybe saying things they normally would not say. I think it's a crying shame. 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2016, 12:59:35 PM »

Hm, didn't you say you don't read long posts/mod topic? How could you delve thru that to find what drbeachboy said?

It doesn't matter to me what he said----the thread's clearly out of control. And that's bad news. Everyone is getting hot under the collar and maybe saying things they normally would not say. I think it's a crying shame. 

Even Brian and Mike would agree this board is too fractured.

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
KDS
« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2016, 01:25:13 PM »

I've been in that thread the last few days. 

I hate to so him go because, as you say, he is a voice of reason on this board.   
KDS
« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2016, 01:34:43 PM »

drbeachboy is good poster but you gotta agree that it was overreaction on his side. rab had to explain twice in a normal tone yet it was last straw for drbeachboy. Did anybody personally insult him? No. Then what's the problem?

I think he objected to the thought held by rab, and some other posters on the board, that somehow a criticism of any of Brian Wilson's music is somehow an insult to Brian Wilson himself. 

In real life, not everybody is going to like every single song composed by an artist with a 50+ year long career. 
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2016, 01:50:20 PM »

All I know is that the constant insinuations that Craig 'influences' every decision and I can't think for myself was quite offensive to me.

KDS- your sig is fine IMHO

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
KDS
« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2016, 01:53:21 PM »

All I know is that the constant insinuations that Craig 'influences' every decision and I can't think for myself was quite offensive to me.

KDS- your sig is fine IMHO

Thanks Billy.  Figured I'd make it clear on every post from now on that my opinions on the music is in no way a disrespect to the artist. 

Smiley
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2016, 02:03:19 PM »

Let me explain this just so you get it, KDS. rab said that he's OK with anyone who has differing view but added that for some, reviews that consist of bad language can be regarded as insulting to Brian. Just the way he sees it and what some others see. Then you find it strange and think it's not ever possible. Then rab again repeats his point and you again disagree but rather than respectfully disagree you mock his and bunch of others' reasoning for disliking others' negative album reviews. Instead of trying to understand them you make it signature to make fun of them. So what if they think so? Does it bother you too much?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 02:07:59 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2016, 02:09:18 PM »

The fact, KDS, that you even have such a retarded signature is proof positive of a rather pantywaisted sensibility that has sadly found its way here.

Yes, I don't like NPP. I love Brian Wilson. No agenda here. Not on anyone's payroll. People who don't agree with the prevailing winds of opinion on this board don't harbor some seething hatred of the man; they just don't like something.

Grow up and deal with it. Simple fucks.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2016, 02:18:10 PM »

I don't. And don't call me Shirley! LOL

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: May 25, 2016, 02:28:40 PM »

The fact, KDS, that you even have such a retarded signature is proof positive of a rather pantywaisted sensibility that has sadly found its way here.

Please tell me you seriously didn't post this... if I'm not hallucinating or having another stroke and you really did...please make this the last time.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 25, 2016, 02:33:33 PM »

It's not an attack on him; it's my feeling on the rather sad state of affairs that led him to even make it his signature. KDS and I get along very well, in fact.

I've said my piece.

Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 25, 2016, 02:37:47 PM »

Did I ever imply that KDS is lacking brains? As I stated once before, he and I get on quite well. He's one of the smartest folks here.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 25, 2016, 02:40:06 PM »

Did I ever imply that KDS is lacking brains? As I stated once before, he and I get on quite well. He's one of the smartest folks here.
"simple fucks"?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 25, 2016, 02:42:18 PM »

Let me explain this just so you get it, KDS. rab said that he's OK with anyone who has differing view but added that for some, reviews that consist of bad language can be regarded as insulting to Brian. Just the way he sees it and what some others see. Then you find it strange and think it's not ever possible. Then rab again repeats his point and you again disagree but rather than respectfully disagree you mock his and bunch of others' reasoning for disliking others' negative album reviews. Instead of trying to understand them you make it signature to make fun of them. So what if they think so? Does it bother you too much?

Thanks Rangerover. I tried to make my point as clear as possible several times, but I guess either I'm not being clear enough or some are refusing to understand what I mean.

KDS, I don't see how my opinion on this matter is that ridiculous. To some people, calling some of the music "turgid, worthless, safe bullcrap", "a stupid fucking pop song", "a steaming pile of dogshit", or comparing Brian to a handicapped grandpa who is forced to make a speech at a family dinner is disrespectful to Brian...thus some Brian fans responded and defended Brian because Brian's personal talents were being seemingly mocked. I mean, I wonder why you thought the Bubs and Judd review was "fake"? - could it have been because it seemed a bit over the top? And thus other people possibly didn't notice any satire and saw the review as overly disrespectful to Brian and responded.

This is clearly what I wrote and tried to make clear in numerous posts. Sorry that you felt the need to change your signature over the opinion of one person. I know Bubs and Judd love this band and Brian Wilson very much...but some people took their comments as offensive...and I don't understand why it's that surprising that people took those comments as offensive.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 25, 2016, 02:51:13 PM »

2Real beach boy:I read every post in a thread I visit. I got it 1st time. You called people making these accusations - payroll and stuff - "simple fudges". Which I said isn't fair considering they are very mild in nature and rather innocuous.

Mild in nature, yet when they continually pop up even after being consisterly rebuked, I'm certainly left with the impression that the people who make such goofy statements are rather in the high end of simple fudginess. Your mileage varies. That's cool.

I don't hate Brian. I don't like everything he's done musically. How someone can end up reaching the conclusion that someone hates the man because of that is ridiculous from where I sit.

Horses for courses.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 25, 2016, 03:00:01 PM »

For the record(whatever that means), I agree with rab and KDS both, in certain ways. I agree with KDS in that whenever music is released to the public, people are free to say and think anything they want about it. That includes publicly posting these views on a public message board. But the "handicapped grandpa" thing is to far. It has nothing at all with the music. This is where I side with rab. You can insult, ridicule, and downright sh*t talk the music any way you want. But when it gets to talking about the man/woman/band, then it's going to far.

Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 25, 2016, 03:08:39 PM »

Criticizing the music is one thing. Criticizing Brian, Melinda, or people around them personally is quite another. However, considering a criticism of any of the music equal to criticism of the people involved personally or even hatred for them is kind of a reach.

KDS shouldn't even have felt like he needed to make that his signature. If one was going to criticize Brian as a person, why hide it in criticisms of the music?

Maybe I'm overthinking it. I hope I am!

Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 25, 2016, 03:15:21 PM »

2real Beach boy: OK, I see what you say. For me, any conversation can do without name-calling and cursing. To tell them like it is is good if it's not going overboard.
For the record, I don't hate Brian too but very much dislike Imagination. Smb. feel free to say I am not true Brian devotee - I wouldn't care.

Rei, I feel you. You have a filter. You're less impulsive than I am when it comes to posting. That's a good thing.

Not everyone is going to like the same stuff or have the same appreciation for it. Calling someone's fandom into question or claiming said individual hates the creator is ridiculous. Then again, Brian's the one with the success and acclaim...while people feel the need to defend the man from opinions. It's bloody ridiculous.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 25, 2016, 03:19:47 PM »

Criticizing the music is one thing. Criticizing Brian, Melinda, or people around them personally is quite another. However, considering a criticism of any of the music equal to criticism of the people involved personally or even hatred for them is kind of a reach.

KDS shouldn't even have felt like he needed to make that his signature. If one was going to criticize Brian as a person, why hide it in criticisms of the music?

Maybe I'm overthinking it. I hope I am!

It was one opinion that he blew way out of proportion. The Bubs/Judd review was mostly favorable (given the range of posters who got a good laugh out of it, or agreed with it), and I (the person who actually entertained this ridiculous back and forth with KDS) didn't say one negative comment about the review in question...and again I'll say, I have no doubt that Judd and Bubs love this band and Brian. As rangerover said, it looks like KDS just made the signature to make fun of that opinion. An opinion I think is very reasonable: Calling an album dogshit, calling some of the music worthless, comparing Brian to a wheelchair bound person forced to do stuff is perceived as disrespectful to Brian. Not sure why this is even controversial....oh yeah, because it involves Guitarfool. Sigh.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: May 25, 2016, 03:24:20 PM »

It's not an attack on him; it's my feeling on the rather sad state of affairs that led him to even make it his signature. KDS and I get along very well, in fact.

I've said my piece.

You really have no idea why the bolded words are offensive?

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 25, 2016, 03:30:39 PM »

*On second thought, nevermind*
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 04:26:13 PM by Ognir Rrats » Logged

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 25, 2016, 03:33:58 PM »

Sorry to butt in uninvited but I don't really get why being sensitive or whiny about an opinion is 'pantywaisted' but being sensitive and whiny about an opinion about an opinion is not. Or why being sensitive or whiny about a negative opinion re: BW is and why being sensitive and whiny about an opinion re: ML is not.

I don't think people should be banned because other people don't like their posts and I don't think KDS 'had' to make that his signature because other people's opinions about opinions bother him

Eta: I think this is about as rude as I've gotten outside political threads or Pamplin, but the whining and counter-whining is tiresome.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 03:35:23 PM by Emily » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: May 25, 2016, 03:34:09 PM »

Andrew Hickey shouldn't have had to write a script to do what mods should have done long ago

I wanted an ignore feature here...issue is with the actual board itself. Like, the technical part.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 25, 2016, 03:47:21 PM »

But it wasn't GF's initial post that was a problem. It was when he kept challenging bubs, and trying to downright change his views and opinion. He wouldn't let it go.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up
Print
Jump to: