gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681024 Posts in 27628 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 16, 2024, 04:36:16 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Here's a SMiLE Rearrangement Ive been working on. Feedback appreciated.  (Read 15440 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 18, 2014, 07:15:52 AM »

I wouldnt call *you* people disrespectful, but...I don't know...'closed minded,' certainly.

Don't think of it as closed minded. Think of the inclusion of GV as a discipline, something to focus the mind even more, something to be worked with and word around. Creating a satisfactory mix that includes a song you think is unwelcome forces you to apply yourself more. Every job I do has rules and constraints that I have to abide by to make my work acceptable, and working within them makes me better at what I do – never stop learning. Throw out the rule book before you've learned what the rules are, what the disciplines are, and why they're there, and all you have is either chaos or substandard product.

in my opinion…   Grin

“We live in divisive times.”
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: March 18, 2014, 07:44:13 AM »

I wouldnt call *you* people disrespectful, but...I don't know...'closed minded,' certainly.

Don't think of it as closed minded. Think of the inclusion of GV as a discipline, something to focus the mind even more, something to be worked with and word around. Creating a satisfactory mix that includes a song you think is unwelcome forces you to apply yourself more. Every job I do has rules and constraints that I have to abide by to make my work acceptable, and working within them makes me better at what I do – never stop learning. Throw out the rule book before you've learned what the rules are, what the disciplines are, and why they're there, and all you have is either chaos or substandard product.

in my opinion…   Grin

Taking it a bit *too* far don't you think? This is my third SMiLE mix that I've shared online. I used to include GV but I believe the album works better without it. You're free to disagree, but bullsh!t answers like this ("you're undisciplined! You don't appreciate the rules!") are just straight up condescending and unhelpful.

I'm sorry I insulted the Pop Music God by breaking commandment #7--thou shalt always hamfist GV into thy SMiLE mixes--but...he who is without sin, eh? I shared my mix here because I thought this was a chill, open minded, beach boys-loving community who might like it. Fu˘k me, right?

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
shangaijoeBB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 18, 2014, 07:55:50 AM »

Here's a nice version of SMiLE without GV that could have been released in 1972!  Wink

(thanks to the Bellagio 10452 website!)

Side A

01 Heroes And Villains (12-minute version) (Prayer/Hvpt1/Hvpt2/DYLW)
02 Barnyard
03 The Old Master Painter
04 You Are My Sunshine
05 Cabin Essence (incorporating Who Ran The Iron Horse)

Side B

06  Vega-Tables
07  Wind Chimes
08  The ''Fire'' suite
09  I Love To Say Da Da (incorporating Cool, Cool Water)
10  Wonderful 
11  Child Is Father To The Man
12  Surf's Up
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: March 18, 2014, 08:04:02 AM »

Here's a nice version of SMiLE without GV that could have been released in 1972!  Wink

(thanks to the Bellagio 10452 website!)

Side A

01 Heroes And Villains (12-minute version) (Prayer/Hvpt1/Hvpt2/DYLW)
02 Barnyard
03 The Old Master Painter
04 You Are My Sunshine
05 Cabin Essence (incorporating Who Ran The Iron Horse)

Side B

06  Vega-Tables
07  Wind Chimes
08  The ''Fire'' suite
09  I Love To Say Da Da (incorporating Cool, Cool Water)
10  Wonderful 
11  Child Is Father To The Man
12  Surf's Up

Hush! Don't you know that any SMiLE mix without GV is no SMiLE mix at all? Burn the tapes now! We will never speak of this again!

Seriously, man. How dare you post a mix without attaining black belt Smile-mixer status!

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
[
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 18, 2014, 08:10:17 AM »

I'm sorry I insulted the Pop Music God by breaking commandment #7--thou shalt always hamfist GV into thy SMiLE mixes--but...he who is without sin, eh? I shared my mix here because I thought this was a chill, open minded, beach boys-loving community who might like it. Fu˘k me, right?

Well now that you mention it, yeah, pretty much!   Grin

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
soniclovenoize
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: March 18, 2014, 08:10:54 AM »

Mind recommending any other 2-suite mixes? Almost all the ones I have in my collection are 3 suite or one continuous, modular medley. Both interpretations are good when done well, but pretty unrealistic when considering Brian was working on a two-sided vinyl LP, not CDs as we have today. And as a previous poster stated, Brian was still doing "traditional" albums at this time. Taking all this and more into account, I think 2 suites is the most realistic yet paradoxically the least utilized option.

http://albumsthatneverwere.blogspot.com/2013/09/the-beach-boys-smile-1967.html

There was another SmileySmile boarder here who made one too, I can't seem to find it though...  Also I first discovered SMiLE through Ryan's SMiLE back in the day, and he used the Cantina H&V and was a two-part suite.  I mean, most SMiLE mixes pre-dating 2004 would have been two sides of a theoretical album...  

And then here's a thread that might interest you.  Although there are some people attempting a long H&V, there are others who are not
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,11533.0.html

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: March 18, 2014, 08:15:59 AM »

Well now that you mention it, yeah, pretty much!   Grin

Undecided

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: March 18, 2014, 08:26:30 AM »

Mind recommending any other 2-suite mixes? Almost all the ones I have in my collection are 3 suite or one continuous, modular medley. Both interpretations are good when done well, but pretty unrealistic when considering Brian was working on a two-sided vinyl LP, not CDs as we have today. And as a previous poster stated, Brian was still doing "traditional" albums at this time. Taking all this and more into account, I think 2 suites is the most realistic yet paradoxically the least utilized option.

http://albumsthatneverwere.blogspot.com/2013/09/the-beach-boys-smile-1967.html

There was another SmileySmile boarder here who made one too, I can't seem to find it though...  Also I first discovered SMiLE through Ryan's SMiLE back in the day, and he used the Cantina H&V and was a two-part suite.  I mean, most SMiLE mixes pre-dating 2004 would have been two sides of a theoretical album...  

And then here's a thread that might interest you.  Although there are some people attempting a long H&V, there are others who are not
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,11533.0.html

Thanks for the links. Yeah this is why, although I love BWPS, I hate the influence it's had on mixes (and how its sequence was used on TSS, SMiLE's official release.) It seems everyone since has blindly followed that track order for better or worse when there's so many better options out there. Even the little 'details' of the BWPS order rub me the wrong way, like how Workshop is inexplicably after Surf's Up, not Fire. And while you all know and vehemently disagree with my stance on GV in SMiLE, I think if it must be included, it works better as a Side B opener, not the end of the album. Surfs Up just sounds like it was always meant as SMiLE's clincher to leave you thinking long after the music's actually over.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 18, 2014, 09:11:02 AM »

in my opinion…   Grin

Taking it a bit *too* far don't you think? This is my third SMiLE mix that I've shared online. I used to include GV but I believe the album works better without it. You're free to disagree, but bullsh!t answers like this ("you're undisciplined! You don't appreciate the rules!") are just straight up condescending and unhelpful.

You've taken that completely the wrong way. Just carry on the way you are though.

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: March 18, 2014, 09:20:33 AM »

in my opinion…   Grin

You've taken that completely the wrong way. Just carry on the way you are though.

If you meant it as a joke then I'm sorry. Hard to tell with all the needlessly obnoxious replies here. Still, couldn't you argue that making a SMiLE mix without GV (which, as many have pointed out, is the best most complete song from the era) is truly the sign of focus and challenging myself at mixes...?

Before the second wave of backlash occurs, no, I'm not saying my mix is 'better' for not having GV. All I've been saying from the beginning is I wanted to do something different

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 18, 2014, 09:29:05 AM »

in my opinion…   Grin

If you meant it as a joke then I'm sorry. Hard to tell with all the needlessly obnoxious replies here. Still, couldn't you argue that making a SMiLE mix without GV (which, as many have pointed out, is the best most complete song from the era) is truly the sign of focus and challenging myself at mixes...?

Before the second wave of backlash occurs, no, I'm not saying my mix is 'better' for not having GV. All I've been saying from the beginning is I wanted to do something different

Making a SMiLE mix without GV (which, as many have pointed out, is the best most complete song from the era) is truly the sign of focus and challenging yourself at mixes.

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 18, 2014, 10:42:15 AM »

in my opinion…   Grin

Mujan - you made some grandiose claims about Good Vibrations not fitting thematically or musically within Smile that were bound to get a reaction. What did you expect? If you had just presented it as your personal preference to leave Good Vibrations off I doubt this thread would now be four pages. Of course people are free to do whatever they want with Smile mixes. Stick a Bieber song in there for all I care. Just don't try to tell me it's how Brian intended it.

I think it's pretty unfair to characterize your detractors as 'close minded', 'obnoxious' and 'disrespectful'. I hope I'm not included in that. I've tried to be courteous in all my posts in this thread. If you're wondering why I haven't listened to your mix I did start then something came up and I've not had a chance to continue. I liked the inclusion of bells and whistles (or whichever bit that was) in Heroes. Was disappointed that it started off exactly the same as BWPS though. Thought you were trying to get away from that? Will try to listen to the rest when I get a moment, although my enthusiasm is waning the more you insult good people here ...

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 18, 2014, 11:26:05 AM »

Buddhahat, your eloquence, restraint and calming nature shame us! Mny thanks for your words of wisdom.

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: March 18, 2014, 11:48:46 AM »

in my opinion…   Grin

Mujan - you made some grandiose claims about Good Vibrations not fitting thematically or musically within Smile that were bound to get a reaction. What did you expect? If you had just presented it as your personal preference to leave Good Vibrations off I doubt this thread would now be four pages. Of course people are free to do whatever they want with Smile mixes. Stick a Bieber song in there for all I care. Just don't try to tell me it's how Brian intended it.

I think it's pretty unfair to characterize your detractors as 'close minded', 'obnoxious' and 'disrespectful'. I hope I'm not included in that. I've tried to be courteous in all my posts in this thread. If you're wondering why I haven't listened to your mix I did start then something came up and I've not had a chance to continue. I liked the inclusion of bells and whistles (or whichever bit that was) in Heroes. Was disappointed that it started off exactly the same as BWPS though. Thought you were trying to get away from that? Will try to listen to the rest when I get a moment, although my enthusiasm is waning the more you insult good people here ...

Really? Grandiose statements? You mean my personal opinions about a remix *I* made of an unfinished album of which nobody can be sure of the original playing order? Sure...ok. I guess it's my fault for not ending every sentence of every post with "in my humble, insignificant opinion" or "if that's okay with you guys."

I'm insulting people here? Do tell. I want to encourage discussion and *constructive* criticism, but all these dismissive "you didn't include GV? Your mix is worthless" type comments are pretty cold and frustrating. After getting berated a dozen times for not including ONE particular song from an era that produced DOZENS I think you'd get a little defensive too. I don't care if people prefer to have GV on their own SMiLE, but my mix isn't without merit just because it's different. I thought, I *hoped* that the guys st Smiley Smile off all places would've understood that. I didn't come here to insult anyone...but, yeah, the reaction I've gotten so far has largely been very closed minded, borderline mean spirited, I'd say. I'm just calling it as I see it.

I wanted to get away from many of the (as I see them) flaws of the BWPS playing order, but the Prayer-lead into HV has always been one aspect of that sequence I liked. I suppose I should thank you for at least giving it a chance, which is apparently too much to ask of the rest of this lot...

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 18, 2014, 11:53:29 AM »

Buddhahat, your eloquence, restraint and calming nature shame us! Many thanks for your words of wisdom.

Agreed, John.  This is the second time in this thread that he told it like it is, and much better than I could.  Buddhahat has my newfound r-e-s-p-e-c-t.  Smiley

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: March 18, 2014, 12:07:52 PM »

Buddhahat, your eloquence, restraint and calming nature shame us! Many thanks for your words of wisdom.

Agreed, John.  This is the second time in this thread that he told it like it is, and much better than I could.  Buddhahat has my newfound r-e-s-p-e-c-t.  Smiley

^Now see, this right here...

Like, why do you care so much about putting me down? Why is my SMiLE sequence this big, personal crusade for you? If you think it's wrong to exclude it, just state your reasons and move on. But, no. Why am *I* the rude one according to board consensus for defending an addmittedly controversial choice for a mix, but this behavior is acceptable?

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 18, 2014, 12:49:38 PM »

Like, why do you care so much about putting me down? Why is my SMiLE sequence this big, personal crusade for you? If you think it's wrong to exclude it, just state your reasons and move on. But, no. Why am *I* the rude one according to board consensus for defending an addmittedly controversial choice for a mix, but this behavior is acceptable?

Mujan, I'm not 'putting you down'. I was addressing Buddhahat. He and I have had words in the past and I was agreeing with John about the way he expressed himself there, in a non-argumentative way. Much to my chagrin!

There's no crusade. And nobody’s piling on, as you might suspect. I think you're paranoid. And waaaayyy too sensitive and defensive. I suggest you cut the crap and soak up all the positive comments coming your way and just ignore the negative ones (or the constructive ones that come across to you as negative). The more you continue to vehemently defend your Smile mix (and specifically your omission of Good Vibrations) the worse you present yourself. During the life of this board (and others) this is the first time I’ve ever seen somebody present a Smile mix or a certain mix to a song or track line-up and be so defensive about each little “negative” comment afterwards and trying to justify it. You should be glad to get this many comments about your mix. There are some posters who hardly get any comments at all regarding their mixes. And when there are not many comments, what does that tell you?

P.S. I believe each Beach Boys album in the 60’s had at least two singles released per album release. I also believe the Smile album was to have two songs/singles from the ‘66/’67 era on it; Good Vibrations and Heroes & Villains (possibly parts 1 & 2).
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 01:06:24 PM by Mikie » Logged

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: March 18, 2014, 01:22:27 PM »

Mujan, I'm not 'putting you down'. I was addressing Buddhahat. He and I have had words in the past and I was agreeing with John about the way he expressed himself there, in a non-argumentative way. Much to my chagrin!

There's no crusade. And nobody’s piling on, as you might suspect. I think you're paranoid. And waaaayyy too sensitive and defensive. I suggest you cut the crap and soak up all the positive comments coming your way and just ignore the negative ones (or the constructive ones that come across to you as negative). The more you continue to vehemently defend your Smile mix (and specifically your omission of Good Vibrations) the worse you present yourself. During the life of this board (and others) this is the first time I’ve ever seen somebody present a Smile mix or a certain mix to a song or track line-up and be so defensive about each little “negative” comment afterwards and trying to justify it.

P.S. I believe each Beach Boys album in the 60’s had at least two singles released per album release. I also believe the Smile album was to have two songs/singles from the ‘66/’67 era on it; Good Vibrations and Heroes & Villains (possibly parts 1 & 2).

No. Wrong. False. Absolutely incorrect, my good sir. I am not defensive about "every negative comment." I've received all of maybe two or three legit criticisms which I genuinely appreciated and thanked the commentors in question for.

What annoys me, and what I *am* defensive about, are all these over the top "No GV? You ruined SMiLE!" comments, as well as refusing to even give my work a chance. I don't think I'm asking too much...just give it a chance and let me know what you think.

You have to admit though, you do seem pretty eager to throw your lot in with anyone who criticises this one decision I made, and you were very adament earlier that my mix was not worth listening to. Can you not see how, after almost 50 comments of that, a person might get sick of it, and a little defensive?

I agree, SMiLE in '67 would've had two singles on it. But (as I've said over and over--and to clarify once and for all, this is just my opinion) GV doesn't fit 'naturally' into either of these suites. I guess, as far as my mix goes, the singles would be H&V and either You're Welcome or Vega-Tables.

For the record, I don't Cate what you or anyone here thinks of me personally. I just want my work to be heard. I respect thisboard, I was a lurker when the boxset first came out and this site was the place to be to find mixes and remixes of SMiLE. I was really hoping you guys could give me some honest, constructive feedback to improve my mix. I was also hoping to give you guys some new ideas regarding the sequencing of SMiLE. What I never expected was this petty bickering over not including GV. It's not like my mix is the official release or you can't ever listen to GV again because I prefer to leave it off. I really don't understand the hate over my personal preference...

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 18, 2014, 02:03:08 PM »

I'll chop in again if it can be taken as a genuine comment. Mujan, you just stated something with which I agree 100% - that GVs doesn't fit in with any part of any one of the three BWPS suites. Pretty sure Brian and Darian knew this in 2004 when they tagged on the end of the album rather than to incorporate it.

66/67 Smile though, for all the revisionist thinking of recent years, was highly unlikely to have been a three-part effort, just a pretty standard 12 or 13 song two-sided album with maybe some links between certain tracks and maybe one or two tracks that segued into one another.

Seems we agree on that much, after a fashion.

Maybe what's getting in be way here is that the inclusion of Good Vibrations back then was a dead-cert. Capitol would have insisted and i cant think of a single reason why Brian Wilson would have argued against its inclusion. Suspect arguments of "artistic integrity" wouldn't have entered his head (and given that Vibes was the pinnacle of rock record production at the time, I suspect he would have been damned proud of its achievement - both artistically and commercially - and adamant that it was to be included).

We're all getting side tracked by Good Vibrations and a 48-year-old unfinished album and not focussing on the statement you're trying to make with your mix; apologies for that.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 02:08:43 PM by John Manning » Logged

dellydel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 18, 2014, 02:05:13 PM »

I love Good Vibrations!  I love SMiLE!  I loved your mix!  A SMiLE fan mix is perfectly fine without Good Vibrations!  Isn't the point of a fan mix to do something different?  Well, there!

Also, if SMiLE isn't SMiLE (boy it's kinda hard to write it that way) without Good Vibrations, then what did one just listen to, if one listens to the official SMiLE (either BB or BW), and stops 5 minutes short of the album's ending?  Did one just listen to SMiLE?  Or did one just listen to a collection of songs from the SMiLE era?  And does that ruin the experience, one having to rush off before the album is completely finished? 

I think we need to get into some quantum theory to really answer these questions!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: March 18, 2014, 02:23:45 PM »

I'll chop in again if it can be taken as a genuine comment. Mujan, you just stated something with which I agree 100% - that GVs doesn't fit in with any part of any one of the three BWPS suites. Pretty sure Brian and Darian knew this in 2004 when they tagged on the end of the album rather than to incorporate it.

66/67 Smile though, for all the revisionist thinking of recent years, was highly unlikely to have been a three-part effort, just a pretty standard 12 or 13 song two-sided album with maybe some links between certain tracks and maybe one or two tracks that segued into one another.

Seems we agree on that much, after a fashion.

Maybe what's getting in be way here is that the inclusion of Good Vibrations back then was a dead-cert. Capitol would have insisted and i cant think of a single reason why Brian Wilson would have argued against its inclusion. Suspect arguments of "artistic integrity" wouldn't have entered his head (and given that Vibes was the pinnacle of rock record production at the time, I suspect he would have been damned proud of its achievement - both artistically and commercially - and adamant that it was to be included).

We're all getting side tracked by Good Vibrations and a 48-year-old unfinished album and not focussing on the statement you're trying to make with your mix; apologies for that.

It's ok. Your comment just now is exactly the sort of discussion I was trying to ignite in the first place, so thanks for that.

That's how I've always seen GV on TSS/BWPS too--tacked on and unnecessary. I guess, historically speaking, SMiLE would've been more or less the songs I chose here, but with GV instead of Cool Cool Water. I used CCW tho, because even tho an LP SMiLE has no room for a third 'elements' suite, I still aimed to capture the feeling of the elements in my mix. Side One conveys Earth and Fire (destruction of the land under European expansion into America) and Side Two conveys Air and Water (nostalgic memories of a house on the beach...with wind chimes in the window I guess? Haha.)

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: March 18, 2014, 02:26:38 PM »

I love Good Vibrations!  I love SMiLE!  I loved your mix!  A SMiLE fan mix is perfectly fine without Good Vibrations!  Isn't the point of a fan mix to do something different?  Well, there!

Also, if SMiLE isn't SMiLE (boy it's kinda hard to write it that way) without Good Vibrations, then what did one just listen to, if one listens to the official SMiLE (either BB or BW), and stops 5 minutes short of the album's ending?  Did one just listen to SMiLE?  Or did one just listen to a collection of songs from the SMiLE era?  And does that ruin the experience, one having to rush off before the album is completely finished? 

I think we need to get into some quantum theory to really answer these questions!

Thank you very much for the kind words and common sense regarding GV. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 18, 2014, 03:10:46 PM »

That's how I've always seen GV on TSS/BWPS too--tacked on and unnecessary.

That's how I've always seen Sloop John B on Pet Sounds too--tacked on and unnecessary.  NOT!  

And why in the heck did they include GV on Smiley Smile?  It was tacked on and unnecessary.  NOT!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 03:14:17 PM by Mikie » Logged

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: March 18, 2014, 04:31:40 PM »

That's how I've always seen GV on TSS/BWPS too--tacked on and unnecessary.

That's how I've always seen Sloop John B on Pet Sounds too--tacked on and unnecessary.  NOT!  

And why in the heck did they include GV on Smiley Smile?  It was tacked on and unnecessary.  NOT!

Jesus Christ, dude...we get it. This is exactly what I'm talking about. Its just straight up bullying at this point. And then you have the gall to play the victim when I call you out on it? Unbelievable. You like GV. You think it should be on SMiLE. You've made that very clear. Most people seem to agree with you, and I'll bet that makes you very happy. Can I please discuss *my* opinion on the matter without you hanging around beating a dead horse? Is there ANY common ground between us that we might discuss regarding alternate SMiLE tracklists? Please?

And from what I understand, GV *was* tacked onto Smiley without Brian's consent by Capitol. But, hey, don't let the truth get in the way of your asinine "GV or Die!" mantra.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 18, 2014, 04:40:28 PM »

Mujan, you're out of order again. Take a chill pill or whatever kids do these days. No-one's bullying you but you're laying into anyone who either fails to flatter you or points out some historical truth that gets in the way of whatever fantasy you've created in your mind.

The only place GVs was tacked on was the BwPS tracklist scenario… amazingly, GVs was contemporaneous with Smile 66/67 and Smiley Smile and couldn't have helped but fit in. It was never "unnecessary". That's a crass way of putting it.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx