-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:29:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Bellagio 10452
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  you should be ashamed of yourselves
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: you should be ashamed of yourselves  (Read 16851 times)
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« on: March 13, 2014, 11:34:27 PM »

honestly, it is really sad that it's come down to this  Sad. Jarhead  has apologized for his actions yet people still treat him like crap (which fuels more anger in him). those last comments on the "Hacked Again" thread were disgusting.   do you guys seriously take pleasure in this?  I don't understand.  Huh everyone here has one thing in common, our love for the BB.  I'm sure if any of the BB members were on this board they wouldn't be proud of this.  Just because he's young doesn't give you people the right to cyber bully, and I'm not just talking about him I'm talking about any person out there who's been cyber bullied.  if we all just focused on the Beach Boys and not this other crap this would be a much happier place.  and I know I'm guilty of this too but I'm willing to work on it.  None of us are perfect.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 11:53:41 PM by retrokid67 » Logged

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 12:56:38 AM »

Okay, I just moved this to the Sandbox, where it belongs.

Lately I've seen a lot of unnecessary insults going back and forth, and that's not what we want to see here. I'm going to give a more extended repsonse later, but for now I'm asking, no, demanding all parties involved to STOP the insults and harassing. We're getting complaints from both sides, and to be honest both have a point. So for now please cool down !

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 02:36:43 AM »

do you guys seriously take pleasure in this?  I don't understand.  Huh everyone here has one thing in common, our love for the BB.  

Sadly, some do post here - or rather, did in the very recent past - purely to derail threads, cause dissent and generally behave like fuckwitted shitweasels. The music didn't come into it. Others were guilty of being short-tempered, arrogant and dismissive (like me). Thankfully, in recent months/weeks, it's settled down on a more even keel, mostly because the most persistent offenders have been either banned, or been issued with the Final Warning (again, like me).

Trust me, it's been far, far, far worse than you've seen. Some truly psychotic posters and posts.

I'm sure if any of the BB members were on this board they wouldn't be proud of this.

They read this board, and others. Mostly they find it amusing, but when it gets personal (abusing the younger family members), they stop smiling. Inferring someone's wife is a lady of easy virtue, for example. Nice. Very nice.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Paulos
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 03:35:49 AM »

That's it - I'm out. The quality of discussion on this board has been going downhill for some time now, I saw a spark of hope with the Big Beat thread which was excellent but it's gone back to polls and moronic Dennis threads (by 3 posters in particular). I'll check back from time to time to see if there is any actual news but for now so long, farewell, Au'voir, auf wiedersehen.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 05:04:25 AM »

Just because he's young doesn't give you people the right to cyber bully

Here's the thing: There are PLENTY of young fans on here...and they don't feel ostracized by the older fans. Most of the young people here respect the etiquette of the board...They realize that members of the Beach Boys DO read this board - and they treat this place with the courtesy it deserves. They don't post 30 times a day. They don't talk about their school day on a general-topic thread.

This place is delicate - members here like to keep things on an even keel. When you rock the boat, expect backlash from other members. It's that simple.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 07:34:53 AM »

Here's the thing: There are PLENTY of young fans on here...and they don't feel ostracized by the older fans. Most of the young people here respect the etiquette of the board...They realize that members of the Beach Boys DO read this board - and they treat this place with the courtesy it deserves. They don't post 30 times a day. They don't talk about their school day on a general-topic thread.

This place is delicate - members here like to keep things on an even keel. When you rock the boat, expect backlash from other members. It's that simple.
Agreed! I will miss Paulos.  (Please don't leave.)  I agree about the polls.  Maybe they should be in a separate designation.  But, I am very,very concerned about Internet security.  Having kids (adults, now) who took History of Rock and Roll, and maybe got BB introductions in academic context, that might have been one-sided. I read all those books that I find, to see what is being taught about the BB's and other bands from that era.  So I'm really looking with a critical eye.  Or that reflected a personal opinion of the author, rather than something more fact-driven, might feel that it was enough to dive in. 

You don't need to be "older" to know the music, but, I think to get the "topics" in the music, it is important to know what was going on when Brian and Mike were writing, and the different phases they experienced, and grew from. To dismiss it is just being uninformed and close-minded, my opinion.  To me, that young people show interest is awesome, but more important that the story isn't "changed" because a fan likes one musician more than another. 

Just give each one his due.  They're mere mortals, after all.  Wink

Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 01:27:11 PM »

Yeah, the board's having one of its downers. Too many arguments probably resulting from too little happening. Things are getting messy and tedious and it may be worth us all just taking a break for the time being (though I realise that'd be difficult... I was told that'd be the equivalent of withdrawal  Tongue).
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 01:28:28 PM by Judd » Logged

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 03:05:00 PM »

But he apologized for his actions and no one took it seriously obviously.  would you rather have him act like nothing ever happened?  I don't see how that's possible since we can't delete posts or threads, the most we can do here is lock them.

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 04:18:14 PM »

But he apologized for his actions and no one took it seriously obviously.  would you rather have him act like nothing ever happened?  I don't see how that's possible since we can't delete posts or threads, the most we can do here is lock them.

We've all seen him apologize many times for various things...yet his apologies mean nothing if he doesn't change the habits that are irritating people in the first place. He promised to cut back on his posting...

Yes, I have been posting a bit too much around here lately. So I'm cutting down on that.

...yet in the last 4 days he's racked up nearly 60 posts (and he's managed to write nearly 1700 posts in just 8 months). That's a ridiculous amount of posting. He just needs to learn to ignore the posters that are bothering him and adhere to forum etiquette. That simple.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2014, 06:16:54 PM »

We've all seen him apologize many times for various things...yet his apologies mean nothing if he doesn't change the habits that are irritating people in the first place. He promised to cut back on his posting...

Yes, I have been posting a bit too much around here lately. So I'm cutting down on that.

...yet in the last 4 days he's racked up nearly 60 posts (and he's managed to write nearly 1700 posts in just 8 months). That's a ridiculous amount of posting. He just needs to learn to ignore the posters that are bothering him and adhere to forum etiquette. That simple.

I understand. that "Hail SMiLE Brian" stuff was unnecessary though.

-Dennis Wilson
bluesno1fann
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 07:14:49 PM »

disco lifestyle "shudder" .. what? anything that you "shudder" at is probably the best thing ever, it's probably the most fun thing in the world. Catch a Wave "shudder" .... snorting coke and dancing to Kc & The Sunshine band "shudder". I feel like I want to punch you.

I want to punch Al RIGHT in the sunnies. Is that better?

GETT OFF !!!

TRACKS!!!!! TRACKS!!!! OH NOO What if i cant cover them!?!?!! NOOO.then Ill have to go to smileysmile hell with best friend of jarhead ethan j clarke NOOOOOOO   what if I have disease does that make this okay or if i post some dead pics AUTISM!!!!

sucide emoticon Please! 

I just unsuccessfully trolled Jarhead or got trolled BY him, I can't figure out which. Either way, I now deserve to die. Suicide emoticon please??

Everyone else is allowed to share their opinion (I even explicitly stated IMHO as well as all opinions are subjective), and this kind of sh*t doesn't happen to them. I am aware that I can be unintentionally annoying at times, but no one deserves any of this. Just saying, that kind of behaviour should not be tolerated at all, especially when it's unprovoked. Not to mention his spamming derailing rant kept on going for 4 posts after I chose to stop replying. Had this happened to any other person (or any other forum), the guy would have been banned ASAP.
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 07:26:40 PM »

disco lifestyle "shudder" .. what? anything that you "shudder" at is probably the best thing ever, it's probably the most fun thing in the world. Catch a Wave "shudder" .... snorting coke and dancing to Kc & The Sunshine band "shudder". I feel like I want to punch you.

GETT OFF !!!

TRACKS!!!!! TRACKS!!!! OH NOO What if i cant cover them!?!?!! NOOO.then Ill have to go to smileysmile hell with best friend of jarhead ethan j clarke NOOOOOOO   what if I have disease does that make this okay or if i post some dead pics AUTISM!!!!

sucide emoticon Please!  

I just unsuccessfully trolled Jarhead or got trolled BY him, I can't figure out which. Either way, I now deserve to die. Suicide emoticon please??

Everyone else is allowed to share their opinion (I even explicitly stated IMHO as well as all opinions are subjective), and this kind of sh*t doesn't happen to them. I am aware that I can be unintentionally annoying at times, but no one deserves any of this. Just saying, that kind of behaviour should not be tolerated at all, especially when it's unprovoked. Not to mention his spamming derailing rant kept on going for 4 posts after I chose to stop replying. Had this happened to any other person (or any other forum), the guy would have been banned ASAP.

Yes! this is the kind of stuff I was talking about and this is recent (he just got back from his break).  Jarhead told me a while back about double standards in this forum and I certainly see it now.  Everyone lashed out on us with our "Denny rants" (though we apologized for it) but no one (besides the mods) says anything about this? Really?!  this was way worse and it wasn't even him "being annoying" this time.  Angry
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 07:28:34 PM by retrokid67 » Logged

-Dennis Wilson
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 07:40:21 PM »

To be fair that was only 6 posts, but retro and jar filled pages of back n forth. Still, by the time I noticed his pistes it was over.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2014, 07:42:51 PM »

To be fair that was only 6 posts, but retro and jar filled pages of back n forth. Still, by the time I noticed his pistes it was over.

That was back in the 20/20 thread, and we stopped when we were firmly asked. And we never made absolutely disgusting comments like he did, and he only left because he chose to get offline. In other words he got away with it.
Plus we felt bad for what we did, we deeply regretted it and we have been very careful on your threads since. This jerk is entirely unrepentant and he probably would do it again when given the chance
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 07:43:58 PM by Jarhead » Logged
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2014, 07:50:12 PM »

That was back in the 20/20 thread, and we stopped when we were firmly asked. And we never made absolutely disgusting comments like he did, and he only left because he chose to get offline. In other words he got away with it.
Plus we felt bad for what we did, we deeply regretted it and we have been very careful on your threads since. This jerk is entirely unrepentant and he probably would do it again when given the chance

and he isn't the only one who's unrepentant either, there have been other people too who leave disgusting comments and get away with it.  people argued with us for months after we left the survivor threads but no one says anything about this?! I'm confused  Huh  we (Rei in particular) has never threatened anybody and when Pixletwin told us to stop spamming we actually did, yet on the petition thread (before the hacking issue) we asked for people to leave us alone and they didn't  Angry
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 07:51:25 PM by retrokid67 » Logged

-Dennis Wilson
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2014, 08:05:02 PM »

Why is the thread title "you should be ashamed of yourselves"? Who is it directed at and why should they feel shame? Should every member of the board feel ashamed for not being upset with those posts you quoted? Or is this just a thread for that kind of thing, telling everyone what they are doing wrong. In that case I'd like to say I don't like the thread title. It offends me  Smiley
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 08:10:27 PM by Woodstock » Logged

retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2014, 09:04:27 PM »

Why is the thread title "you should be ashamed of yourselves"? Who is it directed at and why should they feel shame? Should every member of the board feel ashamed for not being upset with those posts you quoted? Or is this just a thread for that kind of thing, telling everyone what they are doing wrong. In that case I'd like to say I don't like the thread title. It offends me  Smiley

the title was originally aimed at the last posts made on "Hacked Again" and I originally typed my opening sentences there but by the time I pressed the post button, the thread had been locked, so I made a thread that was particularly talking about that but in a way it's a general thing too.  it's really about all of us here

-Dennis Wilson
halblaineisgood
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2014, 12:43:53 AM »

GETT OFF !!!

TRACKS!!!!! TRACKS!!!! OH NOO What if i cant cover them!?!?!! NOOO.then Ill have to go to smileysmile hell with best friend of jarhead ethan j clarke NOOOOOOO   what if I have disease does that make this okay or if i post some dead pics AUTISM!!!!

sucide emoticon Please! 

You just say 'IMHO' so you can cover your ass once someone challenges you with an obnoxious post of their own. You don't seem very humble when it comes to your opinions. You're proud of them and think that  they're important.   ***cue a flurry of PM's from retrokid and jarhead to BILLYC. "OOH HELP US!!!! he should be shamed!!!WAAAAHHH WAHHAH!!*****
halblaineisgood
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2014, 12:44:52 AM »

IMHO   Grin
bluesno1fann
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2014, 01:04:53 AM »

GETT OFF !!!

TRACKS!!!!! TRACKS!!!! OH NOO What if i cant cover them!?!?!! NOOO.then Ill have to go to smileysmile hell with best friend of jarhead ethan j clarke NOOOOOOO   what if I have disease does that make this okay or if i post some dead pics AUTISM!!!!

sucide emoticon Please!  

You just say 'IMHO' so you can cover your ass once someone challenges you with an obnoxious post of their own. You don't seem very humble when it comes to your opinions. You're proud of them and think that  they're important.   ***cue a flurry of PM's from retrokid and jarhead to BILLYC. "OOH HELP US!!!! he should be shamed!!!WAAAAHHH WAHHAH!!*****

Seriously, what the f*** is your problem? You should be banned for the sh*t you've been saying, at least I don't threaten to physically harm anyone or act like a total unrepentant arsehole. And if you don't like other people posting and you just go on derailing rants, maybe it should be YOU who should "GETT OFF !!!" this forum!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 01:06:59 AM by Jarhead » Logged
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2014, 01:06:12 AM »

IMHO   Grin

IMHO you need help  Undecided

-Dennis Wilson
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2014, 04:21:03 AM »

Ill have to go to smileysmile hell with best friend of jarhead ethan j clarke NOOOOOOO   what if I have disease does that make this okay or if i post some dead pics AUTISM!!!!
For someone who rarely hangs about here*, you've got excellent memory. I don't recall Rei/Jarhead mentioning anywhere that he's friends with Ethan. Not even in his introductory post, typical "My friend used to be a member of this board, his name Ethan J. Clarke, & so I also decided to join in this community". Wonder in what thread you saw this info.

*Though maybe you read this board offline like filledeplage, Alan Smith, Mikie (sometimes), the captain, rn57, seltaeb, Amy B. (not sure), JohnMill (maybe), EgoHanger (came to this habit later) & some others, only logging in if you're really willing to write.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2014, 04:37:36 AM »

Ill have to go to smileysmile hell with best friend of jarhead ethan j clarke NOOOOOOO   what if I have disease does that make this okay or if i post some dead pics AUTISM!!!!
For someone who rarely hangs about here*, you've got excellent memory. I don't recall Rei/Jarhead mentioning anywhere that he's friends with Ethan. Not even in his introductory post, typical "My friend used to be a member of this board, his name Ethan J. Clarke, & so I also decided to join in this community". Wonder in what thread you saw this info.

*Though maybe you read this board offline like filledeplage, Alan Smith, Mikie (sometimes), the captain, rn57, seltaeb, Amy B. (not sure), JohnMill (maybe), EgoHanger (came to this habit later) & some others, only logging in if you're really willing to write.

You're scaring me a little here, Marianne. What else do you know about us all?

Please delete my account
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2014, 05:27:16 AM »

This thread is a drama magnet. Best ignored.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2014, 05:30:40 AM »

You're scaring me a little here, Marianne. What else do you know about us all?
Here's more scary things: I know the folks who go under "hidden" status. They are Roger The Shrubber, Emdeeh, guitarfool2002, Woodstock, Smile Brian, Jarhead (the last 3 chaps were "online" before, though), monicker, Wirestone, Peter Reum, The Real Beach Boy, Sheriff John Stone, buddhahat, Fishmonk, KittyKat, Aegir (though he also used to be "online"), Ed Roach (?), I. Spaceman (from the past members) & other 20+ I didn't sort out (but will, don't worry!). Generally, this isn't that difficult to find out.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: