gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 05:51:43 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Moody Blues  (Read 17075 times)
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 13, 2014, 05:05:57 AM »

I saw The Moody Blues last night at The American Music Theater in Lancaster. PA. First time I've seen them; very impressive show. Two ten song sets with a twenty minute intermission. I was holding my breath, not knowing how Justin Hayward was gonna sound at age 66, but he sounded just like the records. Especially impressive was John Lodge. He was very active on stage and I didn't realize how important his voice was in the mix. They played all the hits - all of them!

I couldn't help but compare this show to the Beach Boys' reunion shows. This concert did not take a backseat. It was quite emotional sitting there and watching Justin sing "Nights In White Satin", "Tuesday Afternoon", and 'The Story In Your Eyes". Another hightlight was Lodge's performance of "Isn't Life Strange". But, The Moody Blues can really rock, too. "Question' was incredible, and they did a version of "I'm Just A Singer In A Rock And Roll Band" featuring an extended jam/solo by Justin Hayward that would've made Buck Dharma proud.

Whenever the discussion comes up again about bands that are overlooked by the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame, I now have a clear-cut first choice.

A question for any musicians or guitar players out there...Just from the records, I knew that Justin Hayward was an excellent guitar player. But, seeing him live blew me away frankly. He was the only guitar player on stage and played a lot of great stuff on several different guitars, including some impressive ROCK & ROLL. He might not have the body language or "moves" of some guitar gods, but...where would you rate Justin Hayward as one of the great guitar players in rock?
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 04:57:55 PM »

Love love LOVE me some Moody Blues! To Our Children's Children's Children is one of the greatest albums ever. Every Good Boy Deserves Favour was the first album I ever bought.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 05:40:51 PM »

Thanks for responding, krabklaw. I was blown away last night by Justin Hayward and The Moody Blues, and I want to get deeper into their music than the greatest hits comp I have. You're a fan. Where do rank The Moody Blues and how do you view Justin Hayward as a singer, songwriter, and guitar player? Anyone else a Moodies' fan? Thoughts?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 05:52:40 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 09:59:34 PM »

Thanks for responding, krabklaw. I was blown away last night by Justin Hayward and The Moody Blues, and I want to get deeper into their music than the greatest hits comp I have. You're a fan. Where do rank The Moody Blues and how do you view Justin Hayward as a singer, songwriter, and guitar player? Anyone else a Moodies' fan? Thoughts?
When they were at full strength with Mike Pinder in the group they created a fantastic run of 7 albums from Days Of Future Passed through Seventh Sojourn. They were immensely popular on album-oriented radio in those days. They are a great example of the whole being greater than the sum it's parts with all the group members contributing songwriting and lead vocals (except Edge). Hayward, of course is the most talented member and, I think, the greatest reason for their success. He's got a great distinctive voice, wrote many of their best songs, and is probably the reason for the group's substantial female fan base. I never really payed much attention to him as a guitarist, but that just goes to show you how smooth and effortless he made it all seem. I'm not knocking the others either; they all made important contributions. Check out the song Watching and Waiting if you've never heard it- it's one of Hayward's best compositions.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 07:55:11 PM »

Thanks again for your post, krablaw. I checked out "Watching And Waiting"; it is a great one.

In addition to listening to a lot of the Moody Blues' songs, I've been reading a lot of online biographies of the band members. Correct me if I'm wrong, but for as far out as some of their music is, especially the earlier period, the guys appear to have led fairly normal lives. Justin Hayward has been married for 43 years and John Lodge for 45 years. I haven't come across any history of serious substance abuse either. As I was watching the concert the other night, I was struck by how well they all appeared to be interacting on stage. They looked very comfortable with each other and really appeared to be enjoying themselves. At the end of the show they were in no hurry to leave the stage, hanging around to wave, say "thank you", and accept bouquets of flowers. It was very refreshing to see. They really looked like they loved what they were doing. I guess you can tell I'm getting hooked on this band - after they've been around for 50 years! Shocked Grin police
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 08:59:46 AM »

Now all five members need to reunite for a world tour! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 04:59:06 PM »

Now all five members need to reunite for a world tour! Grin

I'd much rather see them record an album together to see if they can re-kindle the old spark. A tour is nice, but an album is forever. They were never the same band after Mike Pinder left. Maybe it was inevitable that the quality would decline as their music went out of fashion, but the fall was precipitous once Pinder departed. Anyway, I hope they're all happy in their lives for all the pleasure their music has brought me over the years.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 05:31:29 PM »

I would love a reunion album as well! Grin

Mike Pinder is soul of the Moody Blues and something was lost in his absence. I wish Edge would drop his feud with him.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 06:02:43 PM »

Mike Pinder is soul of the Moody Blues and something was lost in his absence. I wish Edge would drop his feud with him.

What was the feud about?
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 06:04:18 PM »

They got into an argument during octave's recording and Mike left the group before a major tour.

wilsonart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 06:17:23 PM »

Justin Heyward answered an add in the paper from a band looking for another member...wow how lucky the moodies were. 
jet without wings
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2014, 06:33:42 PM »

Justin Hayward will be performing solo here in my hometown Niagara Falls on May 15. They were a great band, with contribubutions from every member. Justin's first side project was the "blue Jays" album with John Lodge. Similar to the Moodies style,  very good album.

Jet without wings
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2014, 07:11:55 PM »

Justin Heyward answered an add in the paper from a band looking for another member...wow how lucky the moodies were. 

I was just reading about that. Actually, the ad that Justin responded to was in Melody Maker and it was placed by Eric Burdon, who was looking for a new guitarist for The Animals. Burdon didn't think Justin was right for The Animals, so he gave Justin's letter and demos to Mike Pinder, who then contacted Justin. And the rest is history.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2014, 07:32:35 PM »

They got into an argument during octave's recording and Mike left the group before a major tour.

Artistic differences? Personality conflict? Drugs?
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2014, 08:11:27 PM »

Agree, Pinder was the cosmic soul of the band. The arguement/ feud with Edge started with a comment to Edge by Pinder that his opinion didn't count as he was 'just a drummer', or something like that.

Pinder has since apologized in video interviews but Edge won't let him sit in with the band. Crying shame

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2014, 10:04:27 PM »

Agree, Pinder was the cosmic soul of the band. The arguement/ feud with Edge started with a comment to Edge by Pinder that his opinion didn't count as he was 'just a drummer', or something like that.

Pinder has since apologized in video interviews but Edge won't let him sit in with the band. Crying shame

Man, he needs to get over that-it's been over 30 years, closing in on 40 (think Octave came out in 1978).

If they ever get in the R&R HoF, they need to act like adults, unlike the tools in Kiss.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2014, 11:51:22 PM »

My second favorite band of all time.....

My parents forced a snickering me to go with them to the Red Rocks show in 92! I've been thanking them ever since Smiley
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2014, 06:42:53 AM »

Would you mind sharing some of your thoughts and impressions of The Moody Blues to a newbie... police
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2014, 10:18:43 AM »

Would you mind sharing some of your thoughts and impressions of The Moody Blues to a newbie... police

You pretty much nailed it: great songs, great singers, and Justin is something of an unsung guitar God!

I'd tell a newbie to just go grab all of the core 7 (and maybe LDV and The Present as dessert) at the nearest place that sells vinyl (Moodies stuff is always cheap) and make a day out of it letting them rip back to back!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2014, 11:17:58 AM »

Moodies Vinyl is of high quality and in large numbers.

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2014, 11:35:24 AM »

Indeed! The Moodies had great quality control. Their records were always pressed on high quality vinyl (until Octave, at least) and the jackets were of extra durable board. All this just adds to the experience.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 09:16:03 PM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2014, 01:47:04 PM »

Man, he needs to get over that-it's been over 30 years, closing in on 40 (think Octave came out in 1978).

If they ever get in the R&R HoF, they need to act like adults, unlike the tools in Kiss.
Here is the story from Mike Pinder( towards the end of the clip)

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=tOSWEF7QPcA

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2014, 04:04:05 PM »

Here is the story from Mike Pinder( towards the end of the clip)

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=tOSWEF7QPcA

The link doesn't take me to it. Huh
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2014, 04:18:13 PM »

You pretty much nailed it: great songs, great singers, and Justin is something of an unsung guitar God!

I'd tell a newbie to just go grab all of the core 7 (and maybe LDV and The Present as dessert)

And Hayward/Lodge's 'Blue Jays' album as an appetizer  Smiley (C'mon, it's better than LDV or The Present).

For example:    When You Wake Up     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpY2_QYFHPY
and: Nights Winters Years    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTHvzLk-9KQ

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2014, 04:49:14 PM »

Indeed! The Moodies has great quality control. Their records were always pressed on high quality vinyl (until Octave, at least) and the jackets were of extra durable board. All this just adds to the experience.
Oil crisis, recession, so many returns that they started chipping the recycled records up and throwing it into virgin vinyl, at the same time high sales so more mass market production = low quality control.  You have to be careful buying old vinyl.  This started in the mid-70's.  By late in the decade me and my friends were buying more imports than domestic.  Japan, Germany, Holland - that's were you wanted your collection to come from.  I have some records (RCA) that have become unplayable due to warping.  Some where one side has NO sound whatsoever.  My Octave is an Import, and sounds fine.  I have some domestics that are fine too.  But it was a time of having to take a record back several times to get a good one.  I think it had a lot to do with why CDs took off.  I didn't give in to that until 1989, yeah the Beatles releases...
Okay, a new Moodies fan.  Pretty much The Blue Jays these days, but that's a good thing too.  I expected Pinder to do half-a-page.  About the only thing I can add is - what if you also want CDs and something visual.
For this group The Time Traveller Box is essential post '66 (nothing from the first lp).  It is a better than average over-view, with many outtakes and rarities - over 40 tracks from the Core 7, a nice dose of the Blue Jays, and a selection of the 80's/90's.  Add the Live at Red Rocks DVD or CD - this has the 8 cuts to complete the concert.  Pinder is right, and lucky to have been there.  If you can't get the box, there is a Deluxe CD (2003) of that complete show.  This again was a very important release.
The other Best live material, both DVD and CD has Mr. Pinder.  Isle of Wight (1970): 16 tracks CD/10 on the DVD (read the reviews- not all songs are complete on the DVD), but includes interviews from 1998 (including Pinter).  There is a "staged" 1970 concert DVD as well, with some really rare numbers.  Caught Live + 5 CD (or vinyl) has a strong set list too.
My personal favorite long-players all come from this era: Children's Children's...(1970 - their Best), In Search of the Lost Chord (1968) and On The Threshold of a Dream (1969).
Sheriff, enjoy walking through the blue world.  It's a psychedelic place.
And ORR, thanks for the link.  All was well until it wasn't...  Pinder narrated most of Edge's poems, including: "the Word"('68), "In the Beginning" and "the Dream" ('69), and "the Balance" ('70).  His mellotron work on Edge's instrumental "Beyond" was fantastic.
It's okay with me if they chose not to get back together.  They left a legacy behind.
edit: ORR, if you can't get the link to work, tell us which clip it's in...Mike has many pages on youtube.  thanks, Will
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 05:37:28 PM by feelsflow » Logged

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx