gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:56:02 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Should I buy the Beatles US Box set?  (Read 2992 times)
Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 12, 2014, 07:46:14 AM »

I have found it on sale new for $105.  I love the beatles but have all of the old cds the new remastered cds in both stereo and mono.  Do those who have it feel like it was a worthwhile purchase?  Thanks in advance.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 08:06:14 AM »

I have it. My feelings are very Lukewarm. It's ok as a collectible, I guess, because it sort of represents the extreme hubris that existed in Capital during the 60's.  LOL
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 08:51:41 AM »

I'm getting it!  I've only held out because of other priorities, but $105.00 is a helluva deal, Rich!  Is that Canadian?  'Cause Amazon wants $158 and some change plus shipping. I have the stereo and mono boxes already but there's some neat things in here, like a miniature butcher cover.  At $105, you got a deal!

Edit. I just placed my order. Today it's $100 total shipped to the U.S. 4-7 days. Can't beat that with a stick!

Thanks, Rich!  Nice thread!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 09:25:30 AM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 09:50:58 AM »

With owning the 2009 Stereo & Mono sets, along with the two Capitol Albums box sets, I found no need to purchase this box set. I did buy AHDN & Y&T for the instrumentals on the former and the 5 unique U.S. mixes (3 mono, 2 stereo) on the latter.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 10:09:13 AM »

I got it for my birthday, I think it's pretty cool but I never bought the mono set to begin with so it's nice to have some of the mono mixes.  It's a wonder why they didn't do the same thing with the UK albums, putting the mono and stereo mixes on the same disc instead of charging fans for two expensive sets.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 11:10:27 AM »

With owning the 2009 Stereo & Mono sets, along with the two Capitol Albums box sets, I found no need to purchase this box set. I did buy AHDN & Y&T for the instrumentals on the former and the 5 unique U.S. mixes (3 mono, 2 stereo) on the latter.

I never did pick up the two Capitol Albums box sets because I figured I already had the 2009 remasters in the mono and stereo boxes PLUS all of the Dr. Ebbetts series from a few years ago, so I figured I'd skip those. With this new Beatles Box, I figure I'll catch everything released (various mixes, etc.) that I've missed with one swoop. Plus all the American covers and stuff I think is pretty neat. So is the price. This should have been the third box set release after the 2009 box sets. No Dave Dexter mixes in this box!  Grin

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 11:16:56 AM »

It's a wonder why they didn't do the same thing with the UK albums, putting the mono and stereo mixes on the same disc instead of charging fans for two expensive sets.

Was there enough room on a CD to do that? Remember, there were more songs on the UK albums until what, Sgt. Pepper's? Maybe it was hit or miss and they just wanted to be consistent. Plus make more money.  Smiley

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 12:13:21 PM »

I never did pick up the two Capitol Albums box sets because I figured I already had the 2009 remasters in the mono and stereo boxes PLUS all of the Dr. Ebbetts series from a few years ago, so I figured I'd skip those. With this new Beatles Box, I figure I'll catch everything released (various mixes, etc.) that I've missed with one swoop. Plus all the American covers and stuff I think is pretty neat. So is the price. This should have been the third box set release after the 2009 box sets. No Dave Dexter mixes in this box!  Grin

Mikie, what is more pleasing to the ear than over-reverbed, Duophonic mixes? Wink Though, I have to say that the Beatles' Second Album songs just don't sound the same without the over-drenched reverb.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 01:27:05 PM »

Oh well, Rich you should have posted yesterday - cause that's when I ordered mine.  $159 + tax.  I can't help myself, Beatles AND Beach Boys gets my dollar every time.  Beatles, as usual get the Royal treatment.  Mostly using birthday gift cards (I'll be 62 on 3 April).  So almost free.  About the only thing I don't have is the Singles Box, and to this day still think about getting it.  Have The EP Box, both of the Capitol sets - those have the Real American records, but the covers are not done too well.  These will be.  I got the Japan Mono Box - #10 on the Wow factor.  Bought two of those, one is sealed in hope of selling it some day for Big $$.  Perfect replicas of the sleeves and inner-bags.  All my years of collecting, never seen the Sgt. Pepper's with inner-bag on vinyl.  Do have a yellow vinyl from Holland, but it didn't have the inner-bag either.  Also have the Pepper's HMV CD Box (made in the UK) from 1987.  -- [ note to Mikie, Bruce (Recycled on Haight St.) held on to a copy for me, knowing how much I loved it - he only got one copy of each, all went in a couple of days.]  It's a lp size box and several booklets, but not a mini-sleeve - so no inner.  Passed on the HMV White Album Box (he wanted $100 for it), but did get the 30th Anniversary UK Stereo mini-lp sleeve.  That has among other differences from the US release, The "dirty mix" of Revolution #9.  My ears perked up on first listen (never heard this intro-bit before 1998).  In the end bought eight or nine of the Stereo discs when they were $10 or less (the Target Special).
There is more to this than just Mini-lp covers.  I've been reading plenty of good things as the experts digest and pick them apart.
To answer the OP, yes worth buying.  And hope Capitol will one day do this for The Beach Boys.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 10:44:43 AM by feelsflow » Logged

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 01:28:18 PM »

Nope.

edit: I don't have it. But still....nope.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 02:33:30 PM »

It's a wonder why they didn't do the same thing with the UK albums, putting the mono and stereo mixes on the same disc instead of charging fans for two expensive sets.

Was there enough room on a CD to do that? Remember, there were more songs on the UK albums until what, Sgt. Pepper's? Maybe it was hit or miss and they just wanted to be consistent. Plus make more money.  Smiley

Orchards of money!

Definitely enough room to squeeze both on a CD - the Rubber Mono contained the '80s stereo remix as a bonus.  If you can stereo/mono the BB albums, then you should be able to for The Beatles - perhaps that's next year's offering from Apple Corps.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 02:39:57 PM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
slippingonthrough
Smiley Smile Associate

Male eagle walking down the street....

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2014, 08:03:26 PM »

I was going to get the US Albums box set but I decided to get The SMiLE Sessions Deluxe Box Set instead. It's gonna be worth it!
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2014, 03:48:10 AM »

Some interesting reading, if you're interested and poised to purchase, on this site:

http://www.thebeatlesrarity.com/2014/01/26/the-u-s-albums-box-set-a-final-word-on-mixes-used/

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2014, 06:25:13 PM »

Thanks for the tips everyone!  I thought about it too long and now the price went up $50 back to $150.  Good thing you got in while you did Mikie!  Let me know how you like it (if you open it up, that it).
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2014, 09:22:29 PM »

Rich, I got it yesterday (3 days before the promised date out of Canada). It arrived in mint condition - no dings, dents, or scratches. I just opened it and it's fantastic. Gotcher black rainbow label CD with inner protective sleeve and inner paper sleeve depicting other Capitol artists and the covers are fantastic! Exact replicas of the originals. Also in the box is a very well done black & white/color 62 page booklet. The entire package is SUPERBLY well done. I'm listening to Yesterday & Today now through my computer speakers and it (stereo) sounds very well balanced with a few things I hadn't noticed before. Gonna throw a few of these CD's at my home system tomorrow to give 'em the true test. Meanwhile, so far, I'm VERY glad I bought this. It's worth every penny. Essential for collectors, no doubt about it.  RIP Voyle Gilmore and Karl Engemann. Eat your hearts out Alan Livingston and Dave Dexter!

http://library.umkc.edu/sites/default/files/images/spec-col/col-dexter-letter-all-beatles.pdf
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 09:36:52 PM by Mikie » Logged

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2014, 01:21:55 AM »

So weird to read those memos, to think that behind so much of the Beatles' artistry was a bunch of stuck-up suits thinking they knew what was best for the music.  There's not much out there about Dexter but in any of what is out there, he comes off as a major dick.  I remember reading that after Lennon's death, Dexter wrote a "tribute" which ended up talking about what a difficult person he thought Lennon was.  Real classy.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2014, 09:19:05 AM »

Lennon got back at the Capitol suits with the butcher cover. I always wondered if Capitol absorbed the cost of the pull-back and paste-over of that album or if they took it out of the Beatles' paychecks.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 09:30:37 AM by Mikie » Logged

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2014, 11:08:29 PM »

It's nice they included both covers for Yesterday and Today with the cd. Very nice to have both the mono and stereo mixes on one cd, too. Too bad they didn't do that for the British versions.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx