gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:04:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What Can The Matter Be?  (Read 2314 times)
bluesno1fann
« on: March 11, 2014, 12:45:14 AM »

I remember checking the Sunflower Wikipedia page not too long ago, and it said that one of the songs from the early sessions was called "What Can The Matter Be?". I just checked the same page today, and the song is not listed anymore for some reason. So I went to Bellagio, and it was indeed a song that was worked on in early 1969:

http://esquarterly.com/bellagio/gigs69.html

But aside from that, there seems to be no info whatsoever about this song. I've been searching around the web, to no avail. I even searched here, and there hasn't been any discussions on it as far as I know.

It'd be great to find out for example who wrote the song, what the song's like, it's genre, and all that. Anyone have any info?
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 01:30:13 AM »

It's a Dennis song as far as I know. There has been some discussion on it.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php?topic=5504.30

It seems no one has heard it, whatever it is.

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 03:45:39 AM »

It's a Dennis song as far as I know. There has been some discussion on it.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php?topic=5504.30

It seems no one has heard it, whatever it is.

Well, it's SPECULATED to be a Dennis song, but it could in fact be written by any of The Beach Boys, or maybe even a non-Beach Boy. There's an AFM contract, which I have a copy of, and all of The Beach Boys are named on the contract, except Brian. Even Mike is named, which is rare for that era - but no Brian. The contractor is Jon Parks, who contracted most of Dennis' sessions during that time, hence the speculation that it's a DW track, but Parks also contracted Al's "Loop de Loop" sessions. Arranger/horn player Roger Neumann is the only outside musician listed - he worked extensively with Dennis during the late '60s, and also Al -but not Brian, to my knowledge.
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 12:14:44 PM »

this is completely new to me, this band never runs out of surprises!  Smiley hopefully one day we'll find this song on another compilation album.

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
superunison
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2021, 03:09:56 PM »

This title has always stuck in my head and I thought maybe I'd see it on the Feel Flows set. Anyways, I was digging around on Spotify this week and came across this track by The Poppy Family (Terry Jacks' group), clearly based on the nursery rhyme but totally its own thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_7GpQCF3CQ

The timeline kind of fits with Seasons in the Sun? Assuming the BBs had some sort of friendship with Terry Jacks, I forget... Al did Don't Fight The Sea.... Any thoughts on this? Was the track ever found? I think Alan or Mark seemed surprised at the time to see it in the session logs in a thread from years ago, saying they hadn't heard it....

Can't imagine the Boys singing something as explicit as the "smoking pot" line, but I could see them reworking that line, or maybe it was just a throwaway studio jam based on the track that didn't go any further?
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx