gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 02:19:24 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian - the 80s  (Read 9324 times)
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: May 04, 2006, 09:18:18 AM »

Recently I've been listening to a lot of Brians 80s stuff, not just his 88 solo but also Sweet Insanity and its outtakes. In my view these songs are some of the best stuff that Brian has done post-60s. Perhaps people are put off by the harsh 80s production, but being a child of the 80s I love it!
Particular favourites:
Lets Do it again/Black Widow - What a great song, much more substantial than any of the Beach Boys offerings of the same time. Does sound like 80s pop but still good.
I sleep alone - aside from the lyric not meant for Brian, melodically one of his greatest of the era
Turning Point - I really like 'You've touched me', and this is the original version but again still good.
Save the day - This is 'Fairytale', and though the lyrics are dubious the tune is great, arrangement was kept for the remake.
Heavenly Bodies - A bit disney-ish but Brians singing on this is really good and understated, not his usual shouting of the era.
Too much sugar - Great feel, swings along well.
Water builds up - Why this one wasn't re-recorded I don't know
Theres more but my brain is empty.

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 10:36:27 AM »

"Water Builds Up" is sheer genius...a happy, upbeat tune about rage! 
Brian sounds positively cheerful! 
Lorenschwartz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 11:38:07 AM »

I agree--Brian's 80's material really came along fine. I wish SI was released.

Screw Diane Sawyer & (dateline??)20/20!!!!
 their interview w/ Landy caused SI to be dropped, i'll betcha.
Bri, i remember was Whacked out in that interview to be sure, anyone remember??...

SNL and Tim Robbins really mocked him good on this one!!!!!!!!!
featured in the same telecast as Sineades "War" tirade nonetheless!!!
one of SNL's best of the 1990's
Jason
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 11:52:42 AM »

Sweet Insanity was dropped because it sucked.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 01:08:31 PM »

what did tim robbins do? perform smart girls?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Wilsonista
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 01:29:51 PM »

No, Robbins played Brian in a skit with Kevin Nealon and Dana Carvey. If I remember correctly, the show aired during the '92 presidential election and the premise of the skit had Nealon spoofing Larry King trying to interview Brian (spoofed by Robbins) but getting interrupted by Ross Perot (played by Carvey) dropping in and out of the presidential race. Robbins' Brian was very skittish, extremely nervous and very wasted. Funny, but maybe a tad bit too mean-spirited.

And yes, that was the same episode where Sinead O'Connor tore the picture of Pope John Paul II.

See what you kids missed by not having been born yet?Huh
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2006, 02:24:17 PM »

born yet? i just wasnt old enough to watch SNL...   :D

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2006, 10:27:02 PM »

I really like "Water Builds Up".  Great melody. 
MBE
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2006, 05:06:23 AM »

I don't like the production on this stuff. Some of the songs are OK. I am glad Brian has gone back to using real musician's. The 88 solo was pretty good though.
Lorenschwartz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2006, 02:49:55 PM »

No, Robbins played Brian in a skit with Kevin Nealon and Dana Carvey. If I remember correctly, the show aired during the '92 presidential election and the premise of the skit had Nealon spoofing Larry King trying to interview Brian (spoofed by Robbins) but getting interrupted by Ross Perot (played by Carvey) dropping in and out of the presidential race. Robbins' Brian was very skittish, extremely nervous and very wasted. Funny, but maybe a tad bit too mean-spirited.

And yes, that was the same episode where Sinead O'Connor tore the picture of Pope John Paul II.

See what you kids missed by not having been born yet?Huh
thank you, thank you.

PS-also...both nirvana's and o'connors 2nd performances of their '91-92
 appearances are not repeated. too bad for those true fans who didn't see it LIVE the first time.   
Love Teenage Fanclub too. w/ Jawson Priestly, as Host no less.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2006, 03:21:50 PM »

Got all those on tape and now DVD. Great, all.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2006, 03:22:53 PM »

I don't like the production on this stuff. Some of the songs are OK. I am glad Brian has gone back to using real musician's. The 88 solo was pretty good though.

Real musicians playing fake tack pianos, tympanis and fake harpsichords?

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2006, 03:53:17 PM »

I'll take the sound of the instrumental tracks now anyday over those tracks from the '80s.

The vocals...well, depends on how many band members get to sing. I guess. What, just Brian? Next topic.

(If you can't say something nice...)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2006, 04:12:32 PM »

I dunno.  On the Christmas album, Brian was in fine form and in my opinion every lead he did on the album was far above average and most were verging on great with one or two classic performances.  Autotune it, doubletrack it, whatever you gotta do but the last album we've got from the man he sounded amazing on it. 
Joel5001
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2006, 04:40:00 PM »

Classic performances?  Vocally?  Is the the Christmas album that came out last year?  With the shiny cover?  I'm confused; my version didn't have the classic performances.

"First of all, let's get one thing straight: Crack is cheap. I make too much money to ever smoke crack." - Whitney Houston
NimrodsSon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2006, 04:45:01 PM »

"SOMEONE TO LOVE"!

Possibly the best song Brian ever wrote post-1970-ish
Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2006, 05:01:54 PM »

"Someone To Love" is great.  Even considering the fact that the verse progression is a direct lift from Dennis' "San Miguel."
NimrodsSon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2006, 07:16:29 PM »

Yeah, I didn't even realize that until now. Does anyone know who wrote "Someone to Love"? Is it a Wilson/Landy collaboration? It sounds a bit Wilson/Paley-ish to me.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2006, 07:45:57 PM »

I love his vocals on that track. Many of his vocals from that period sound like he was shouting, but parts of this sound like he's *screaming*...and I like it, much like I love his recent perfomances of "Drive-in".

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
MBE
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2006, 01:36:48 AM »

Real musicians playing fake tack pianos, tympanis and fake harpsichords?
Yeah but overall he does use real instruments. Even when he dosen't, his style is more natural now. It doesn't sound processed compared to at least three quarters of what's current. I still think Brian was at his best pre 76 though.
NimrodsSon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2006, 04:32:46 AM »

I must have missed something--Brian used a fake tympani? In the live show, yes, but not on any recordings that I'm aware of.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2006, 04:39:50 AM »

Classic performances?  Vocally?  Is the the Christmas album that came out last year?  With the shiny cover?  I'm confused; my version didn't have the classic performances.

Yeah man!  "First Noel" "What I Really Want For Christmas" "Hark the Herald Angels" are all vocally great in my opinion.  I honestly think vocally they're nearly as interesting as anything he's done. 
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2006, 08:28:13 AM »

Yeah, I didn't even realize that until now. Does anyone know who wrote "Someone to Love"? Is it a Wilson/Landy collaboration? It sounds a bit Wilson/Paley-ish to me.

The melody in the verses is the same as "San Miguel" by Dennis...

Hmpf, sorry that was mentioned already....
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 02:17:11 PM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Lorenschwartz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2006, 01:10:36 PM »

The melody in the verses is the same as "San Miguel" by Dennis...

i dont know why...but his funny spoken lyrics in the chorus & verses sound like he wanted
 David lee Roth to say 'em...it always sounded like he was tryin to be real "macho"on this track.

THATS WHAT I REALLY NEEEEDDD!!! I GOT A CASE ON YOU!!!!
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2006, 02:20:27 PM »

Currently enjoying this Brian compilation of outtakes. Must say that I think the best of this would better his 88 solo album. Can't get enough of 'Lets do it again'! Also really loving Turning point.

1. Concert tonight
2. Someone to love
3. Water builds up
4. Don't let her know shes an angel
5. Do you have any regrets
6. Brian
7. Hotter
8. Spirit of Rock'n'Roll
9. Rainbow eyes
10. Love ya
11. Make a wish
12. Country feelin'