-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:49:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Carnival Of Sound
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Poll thread nightmare
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Poll thread nightmare  (Read 34283 times)
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 07, 2014, 03:00:18 AM »

Is it me or are there too many poll threads these days? My impression is that an increasing minority clicks on them and a small number of them participate. Could those topics be grouped in a different category? Am I asking too much. Do people care about this?

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 03:12:05 AM »

Maybe a poll to see if there are too many polls?  Wink

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 03:18:18 AM »

Hi Dr Lenny  -

I must say that I am in two minds about this.

On the one hand I find the numerous polls that are present on this forum, nowadays, not inviting. I did not make an estimate of their popularity; they seem to be in the high regions of 'General Discussions', so they must have some attraction to a subgroup of SSnet members - don't know if this subgroup is small and it posts often, by the way. I think my wording: 'not inviting' is apt. I find myself looking up the non-poll topics always, as if I were trying to find the nuggets amidst things that aren't attractive to me. But well, it's a democratic board... and I do wonder if those participating in the polls would continue as they do, should there be a separate poll-section - there's psychology involved in these things.

On the other hand: I have the impression that the board really flourishes when there are 'significant happenings' in the BBs world, such as a very important new (re-)release, concerts and tours of huge interest, DVD releases of these, books. and yes, even serious disagreements between (former) members of the band. In between these surges in newsworthiness, there inevitably are 'silent' periods, we're lulled into inattentiveness and sleep somewhat (well, I exaggerate on purpose) - and then it is to be expected that people try to make a visit to the board worthwhile according to their own preferences. And polls fall into that category, IMHO.

Upshot: it's time that the band reunites again, and Brian releases the Bedroom Tapes, and that the autobiographical movie and book reach us soonish (and Phil Cohen lets the light of his brilliant mind shine over all of this).

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 03:46:54 AM »

When there isn't much to talk about barring speculation about Brian's bedroom tapes, at least it saves us from tiresome anti-Mike/anti-Brian threads.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 03:59:49 AM »

Yeah, it has gotten to be a bit too much with the polls, I've voted on a couple that have interested me but it seems to have milked every possible variant and it's becoming the same thing over and over again.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 05:20:25 AM »

Have enjoyed the Survivor polls but we're being overwhelmed now. Logged on a few hours ago and was confronted by around a dozen, all at or near the top of the pile.

Hence my frustration a week or three ago that led to this:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,17172.msg431357.html#msg431357

“We live in divisive times.”
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 07:34:37 AM »

My first chuckle of the day.  Yes, it does get circular.  I'm doing Survivor too, but now with so many polls it gets redundant.  Let's do it in sections...now let's do the whole career...pre and post Pet Sounds...just the Denny songs...and lots of chatting about last nights homework.  This has been going on for awhile now, and not just with polls.  How can we forget the Mainstream Music Thread so quickly?  I think Rei has locked that one...he likes the power to do that.
To give them credit though, lots of people like doing polls - they are getting a lot of posts and views.  But.  A place has been set up on the board for them already.  It's called Rank the Tracks Threads.  There is one thing that does bother me about this.  The ones that end with "I haven't heard that record yet."  Well why not?  Easy (and free) to do.  You are posting on a Beach Boys Board.  Makes sense to listen to what you want to discuss.  But screw it, let the kids have fun.  This is Everybody's Place.  Fun, Fun, Fun...
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 02:05:24 AM by feelsflow » Logged

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 07:39:07 AM »

But screw it, let the kids have fun.  This is Everybody's Place.  Fun, Fun, Fun...
The poet of this mess.... Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 07:54:30 AM »

I would love to see all polls moved to their own separate page

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 08:16:55 AM »

My first chuckle of the day.  Yes, it does get circular.  I'm doing Survivor too, but now with so many polls it gets redundant.  Let's do it in sections...now let's do the whole career...pre and post Pet Sounds...just the Denny songs...and lots of chatting about last nights homework.  This has been going on for awhile now, and not just with polls.  How can we forget the Mainstream Music Thread so quickly?  I think Rei has locked that one...he likes the power to do that.
To give them credit though, lots of people like doing polls - they are getting a lot of posts and views.  But.  A place has been set up on the board for them already.  It's called Rank the Tracks Threads.  There is one thing that does bother me about this.  The ones that end with "I haven't heard that record yet."  Well why not?  Easy (and free) to do.  You are posting on a Beach Boys Board.  Makes sense to listen to what you want to discuss.  But screw it, let the kids have fun.  This is Everybody's Place.  Fun, Fun, Fun...
Hear Hear!
I wholeheartedly agree with you on the hearing stuff. Granted, there's lesser known songs like Problem Child or a Chasin' the Sky or even Almost Summer...but for the most part, you can find that stuff on youtube or the like. Or even in my situation, where I haven't had the money to buy the MIC boxset...but I've still made efforts on Spotify and YT to hear the newer unreleased stuff, maybe not as much as I'd like to listen to it, but I've still heard it all more than once.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2014, 08:32:24 AM »

I wish the individual user had the option to hide certain threads. Sometimes the Survivor threads will take up the entire homepage, burying other posts/threads that are actually important. It's not that big of a deal, but it would be convenient to be able to block the threads you don't care about.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2014, 08:40:06 AM »

I wish the individual user had the option to hide certain threads. Sometimes the Survivor threads will take up the entire homepage, burying other posts/threads that are actually important. It's not that big of a deal, but it would be convenient to be able to block the threads you don't care about.
I concur!

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2014, 08:43:37 AM »

The entire homepage? It's just three Survivor threads running at the same time.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2014, 09:12:15 AM »

This is what I'm referring to. Sometimes the homepage will look like this, even without rockno1fan's involvement. There are only 3 going on at once, but sometimes a lot of people vote around the same time, which clogs the board.

Again, it's not a big deal but it would be nice if there was an option to block threads you don't participate in.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2014, 10:18:47 AM »

I have always liked polls and surveys since I was a kid. I'm definitely a numbers guy. So I don't mind them. I actually like them. I don't participate in all of them, but it doesn't take much to ignore them if we don't like them. Participation in them would go way down if we moved them. That happened to the "rank the tracks" threads a while back. AFter they were moved, the last one or two had barely anyone participating.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2014, 10:35:09 AM »

I'm going to start a poll soon and I want it to stay on the main page or in the "General On Topic" section, primarily because of the subject matter.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2014, 10:40:39 AM »

This is what I'm referring to. Sometimes the homepage will look like this, even without rockno1fan's involvement. There are only 3 going on at once, but sometimes a lot of people vote around the same time, which clogs the board.

Again, it's not a big deal but it would be nice if there was an option to block threads you don't participate in.
Oh I see. I always read the board from the General Ontopic Discussions page.

Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2014, 10:54:01 AM »

I know what songs everyone likes, so the polls are pretty boring to me. Love survivor, but not the polls. I just don't really read to know what other people think about the BBs rocking tracks, cuz I already understand the consensus on them.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2014, 11:16:12 AM »

I'm going to start a poll soon and I want it to stay on the main page or in the "General On Topic" section, primarily because of the subject matter.

Is it going to mention alot of the Beach Boys, or just a lot of them?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2014, 11:25:49 AM »

A lot or alot?... Undecided

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
bluesno1fann
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2014, 11:42:44 AM »

My first chuckle of the day.  Yes, it does get circular.  I'm doing Survivor too, but now with so many polls it gets redundant.  Let's do it in sections...now let's do the whole career...pre and post Pet Sounds...just the Denny songs...and lots of chatting about last nights homework.  This has been going on for awhile now, and not just with polls.  How can we forget the Mainstream Music Thread so quickly?  I think Rei has locked that one...he likes the power to do that.
To give them credit though, lots of people like doing polls - they are getting a lot of posts and views.  But.  A place has been set up on the board for them already.  It's called Rank the Tracks Threads.  There is one thing that does bother me about this.  The ones that end with "I haven't heard that record yet."  Well why not?  Easy (and free) to do.  You are posting on a Beach Boys Board.  Makes sense to listen to what you want to discuss.  But screw it, let the kids have fun.  This is Everybody's Place.  Fun, Fun, Fun...

Considering the Mainstream Music thread is Retrokid's, not mine, I have no power whatsoever in locking that thread.

And FYI the thread died, and it was never locked
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2014, 12:37:31 PM »

Good observation, Smile Brian. See, we smart, educated boys know that there's no such word as "alot". Unfortunately, there are a couple of posters who post here (no names) that continue to use "alot" instead of "a lot" in a sentence. I feel that spelling reflects one's intelligence, don't you?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2014, 12:41:16 PM »

The favorite album polls could have been reined in a lot I think. I remember I was only going to do the Survivor threads one album at a time but I received so many requests to do 3 at a time I figured I would oblige. I hope the Survivor threads don't feel like spam. I apologize to anyone who feels they are.  Cry
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2014, 12:45:33 PM »

These poll rounds are brilliant and great fun!! Ignore the haters.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2014, 12:59:15 PM »

Good observation, Smile Brian. See, we smart, educated boys know that there's no such word as "alot". Unfortunately, there are a couple of posters who post here (no names) that continue to use "alot" instead of "a lot" in a sentence. I feel that spelling reflects one's intelligence, don't you?

Heir Hear!

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: