gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680880 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 04:02:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Which is your favorite "chick track"?
Anna Lee, the Healer
Barbara Ann
Caroline, No
Cindy, Oh Cindy
Deirdre
Help Me, Rhonda
Help Me, Ronda
Lady Lynda
Lana
Marcella
Mona
My Diane
Pamela Jean
Peggy Sue
Ruby Baby
Sherry She Needs Me
Susie Cincinnati
The Private Life of Bill and Sue
Wendy
Lazy Lizzie *late inclusion*

Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chick Tracks  (Read 4603 times)
ThyRavenAscend
Smiley Smile Associate

It is nice.

View Profile
« on: March 05, 2014, 09:16:32 PM »

Here's the criteria for songs chosen:
1) song must be recorded by The Beach Boys (not "My Jeanine”)
2) title must include a girl's first name (not "The Elements: Fire (Mrs. O'Leary's Cow)
3) lyrics must be referring to a human(s) (not "The Ballad of Ole’ Betsy")
(By this criteria "The Private Life of Bill and Sue" just barely sneaks in lol.)

After voting, feel free to give us the whole run-down, favorite-to-least-favorite.  Smiley
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 09:27:20 PM by ThyRavenAscend » Logged

1 Corinthians 1:18-31
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 10:46:44 PM »

I initially read this topic title as "Chick Tracts" and got really confused when I read its contents.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 10:58:18 PM »

Mona's my favourite. It's also my favourite off Love You.

Followed by My Diane, then Caroline No, then Lady Lynda, then Wendy, then Help Me Rhonda.

The rest are in random order, as they are either songs I'm not familiar enough with, or haven't heard yet
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 11:07:38 PM »

Went with Caroline No which was my choice pretty easily.  I'm actually quite a big fan of Anna Lee the Healer, which I imagine won't get much attention among that list of songs.
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 12:10:15 AM »

Went with Caroline No which was my choice pretty easily.  I'm actually quite a big fan of Anna Lee the Healer, which I imagine won't get much attention among that list of songs.

Well it should.

Please delete my account
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 12:40:10 AM »

I read it as "Click tracks" and thought "hey, didn't they have Hal Blaine for that?"

“We live in divisive times.”
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 12:40:43 AM »

Caroline No, followed up Mona
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 03:52:10 AM »

"Girl Don't Tell Me"  She must have had a name.  Or maybe had Jerry's girlfriend in mind.
EDIT:  Wait, Jerry married Mountain Girl.  David Freiberg married Girl. Sorry for the confusion...I know you were all hanging on a thread wanting more information.
Vote went to "Mona," as no option was given for "Other."
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 05:18:08 AM by feelsflow » Logged

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
2 and a half
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 04:14:49 AM »

My favourite chick track is Barnyard
Blue2013
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 05:05:22 AM »

Why does Help Me, Rhonda have two entries? It might be a different version, but it's still the same song.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 08:01:23 AM »

I'd have to go with Marcella.  Even over Help Me Rhonda which hurts me to say.  I'm going to sit here and cry a little bit about how snobbish my taste has become.
ThyRavenAscend
Smiley Smile Associate

It is nice.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2014, 08:09:42 AM »

Why does Help Me, Rhonda have two entries? It might be a different version, but it's still the same song.

Could've gone either way, but considering the two versions are "legitimate" LP inclusions, I thought it warranted both being on here, especially because there are some hefty differences between the two. Smiley

ThyRavenAscend
Smiley Smile Associate

It is nice.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2014, 08:16:26 AM »

1) Sherry She Needs Me
2) Deirdre
3) My Diane
4) Lady Lynda
5) Help Me, Rhonda
6) Mona
7) Anna Lee, the Healer
Cool Caroline, No
9) Wendy
10) Lana

I absolutely love Brian's '76 vocal on "Sherry She Needs Me' (minus a few cracks)--so glad this song exists.  Anyone know why it was never finished/included when it was originally recorded?

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2014, 08:21:57 AM »

Could've gone either way, but considering the two versions are "legitimate" LP inclusions, I thought it warranted both being on here, especially because there are some hefty differences between the two. Smiley

Does anybody prefer the first version?  The second version is so polished I always thought it was much much better. 
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2014, 08:52:52 PM »

1) Sherry She Needs Me
2) Deirdre
3) My Diane
4) Lady Lynda
5) Help Me, Rhonda
6) Mona
7) Anna Lee, the Healer
Cool Caroline, No
9) Wendy
10) Lana

I absolutely love Brian's '76 vocal on "Sherry She Needs Me' (minus a few cracks)--so glad this song exists.  Anyone know why it was never finished/included when it was originally recorded?
I believe the original started out as Sandy (she needs me added later)...and Sandy happen to be a friend of Marilyn's...so when she her about Brian recording a song about her, I don't think she was real happy...but I could be wrong and/or that could have been another song/story.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2014, 06:58:10 PM »

Where's Lazy Lizzie?

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2014, 08:30:45 PM »

Where's Lazy Lizzie?
I don't know, but I saw her Walkin alone...

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
ThyRavenAscend
Smiley Smile Associate

It is nice.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2014, 08:42:46 PM »

Where's Lazy Lizzie?

Wherps...missed one!

ThyRavenAscend
Smiley Smile Associate

It is nice.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2014, 08:44:41 PM »

Where's Lazy Lizzie?

Wherps...missed one!

Welp, I added it--thanks for the heads up.  I hope that wasn't someone's favorite chick track!  Cheesy

TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2014, 03:45:06 PM »

You forgot "Marilyn Rovell"!
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2014, 04:02:30 PM »

'Caroline, No' is one of the greatest songs ever written, and the greatest lost love song of all time. It's my favorite on Pet Sounds. When I first heard it, I cried, and then listened to it 400 more times.

'Anna Lee, the Healer' is underrated, one of my favorites off of Friends. 'Deirdre' is also underrated. The bit "Good things turn bad but it's over now/so don't feel sad cause you're older now" always gets me, and Brian's high voice in it. 'Mona' is so sad yet warm, kind of like all of Love You. The lyric about Phil Spector is great. There's an instrumental version of 'Sherry She Needs Me' on youtube that I only heard recently for the first time, and it's slower than the version on Made in California, and Brian's on Imagination. I think it would've been a real classic if they'd finished it back in the day. Brian's vocal at the end of it ("Said goodbyeee") is beautiful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR-1-jUAkm0

'Wendy' is also a good one. I don't know how I feel about it though. Sometimes I feel it's amazing, and other times I listen to it and it's not that great. Brian's 'Stevie' is also a great song.

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2014, 04:08:51 PM »

Judy Judy, Judy papa Judy...

Barbie Barbie, queen of the prom, turned down dates with Eddie and Tom...

Grin police
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2014, 04:24:04 PM »

I went with Sherry in the end, but only marginally missed Caroline. My favourite name too Sad

But there's something about Sherry... something.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2014, 09:42:20 PM »

I really like Anna Lee too, but I also chose Caroline No. A classic's a classic. I only want to hear the train sounds if I listen to the whole album though. It's a bit of a distraction on a playlist.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2014, 01:37:04 AM »

I really like Anna Lee too, but I also chose Caroline No. A classic's a classic. I only want to hear the train sounds if I listen to the whole album though. It's a bit of a distraction on a playlist.

In which case, the 45 edit is on both boxsets I have...

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx