gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 06:08:33 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Survivor #25 Winner: I'll Bet He's Nice  (Read 63646 times)
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: March 12, 2014, 01:01:30 PM »

Roller Skating Child.

To those who are attempting to vote off the brilliant Mona: No. Just No!

So: Steamboat = bad, Mona = brilliant? Each to their own. Gee we're a versatile bunch...

I like Steamboat, but Mona has a stronger melody and more likable lyrics. Just a catchier tune, all around.
Marcella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 12, 2014, 01:49:03 PM »

Airplane--hate the tag they added
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 12, 2014, 02:00:04 PM »

Good time

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 12, 2014, 02:22:43 PM »

the tag might be my favorite part

The "going to sleep" vocals are lovely but I guess I'd rather not hear the word "butt" in a Beach Boys song.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #204 on: March 12, 2014, 02:27:13 PM »

Roller Skating Child.

So: Steamboat = bad, Mona = brilliant? Each to their own. Gee we're a versatile bunch...

Mona has a stronger melody and more likable lyrics. Just a catchier tune, all around.

This times a thousand. Great melody and excellent lyrics. Loved it from the first listen, and it's well-performed. Denny did a great job on the lead vocals, and I especially love the Phil Spector part.

Okay it's Repetitive. So what? Who gives a sh*t?
I think the song is perfect as it is, in fact it's my favourite off Love You!
veryape
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 12, 2014, 02:40:45 PM »

Roller Skating Child
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #206 on: March 12, 2014, 03:18:23 PM »

Roller Skating Child.

I like Steamboat, but Mona has a stronger melody and more likable lyrics. Just a catchier tune, all around.

'The river's a bed of sweet berries and flowers...' - poetry.

'Disco disco disco tech moma... how's about a movie, won't it be groovy..." - bad lyrics.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #207 on: March 12, 2014, 03:27:53 PM »

Roller Skating Child.

'Disco disco disco tech moma... how's about a movie, won't it be groovy..." - bad lyrics.

It's still catchy as hell. I can play this song over and over again on a loop for a long time without getting sick of it. At least Mona isn't boring as hell and makes you wanna sleep
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 12, 2014, 03:33:40 PM »

Roller Skating Child.

It reads more like purple prose than poetry to me. Simple and direct any day of the week.

I know Mona is a dumb song but at least it's dumb in a good way. It's not in bad taste, like Hey Little Tomboy, for instance.

I honestly think extended song lengths, jamming, and Jack Rieley's "progressive" lyrics are in worst taste than anything on Love You.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 03:43:37 PM by Gabo » Logged
Watch a Cave
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 12, 2014, 07:23:28 PM »

Mona
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #210 on: March 12, 2014, 11:39:26 PM »

Roller Skating Child.

It reads more like purple prose than poetry to me. Simple and direct any day of the week.

I know Mona is a dumb song but at least it's dumb in a good way. It's not in bad taste, like Hey Little Tomboy, for instance.

I honestly think extended song lengths, jamming, and Jack Rieley's "progressive" lyrics are in worst taste than anything on Love You.

By 'jamming' I assume you're referring to that outrageously awesome slide guitar solo? The one that kicks in after the sudden, unexpected piano break just prior to a return of the beautifully sung, musically inventive chorus? Personally I like it... Let's agree to disagree and stop derailing the thread.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #211 on: March 12, 2014, 11:43:32 PM »

Roller Skating Child.

By 'jamming' I assume you're referring to that outrageously awesome slide guitar solo? The one that kicks in after the sudden, unexpected piano break just prior to a return of the beautifully sung, musically inventive chorus? Personally I like it... Let's agree to disagree and stop derailing the thread.

Still can't see how anyone can dislike Mona, but yeah we should agree to disagree to avoid pissing Pixletwin off
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 13, 2014, 04:54:55 AM »

Solar System
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 13, 2014, 06:38:44 AM »

I Wanna Pick You Up

I never understood if this was for a baby girl or like a babe Dennis wants to f***.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 13, 2014, 09:17:54 AM »

Airplane--hate the tag they added

The only bit of the song I really like.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Domino
Smiley Smile Associate

Hypnotize me, Van Dyke

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 13, 2014, 10:58:34 AM »

Good Time

Brian on why he loves God Only Knows: "Because Paul McCartney said it was his favourite song"

"New rule: Having anything to do with the creation of a punk rawk version of "All You Need Is Love" (never with the horn part because lol hornz are silly and dumb) gets you the death penalty. No questions, no trial, it's your fault, pick out your coffin." - runnersdialzero
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 13, 2014, 12:36:18 PM »

Welcome back to a new round of BEACH BOYS SURVIVOR. Remember to be respectful of others opinions. Please don't spam the thread with too much opinionating (a little is ok  :D ).... and without further ado...

Love You (also known as The Beach Boys Love You) is the twenty-first studio album by American rock band the Beach Boys, released on April 11, 1977. Originally conceived as a Brian Wilson solo album entitled Brian Loves You, the album is almost entirely written and performed by Wilson, with the other band members mainly serving as additional lead vocalists.
Penned during a process of mental and drug rehabilitation for Wilson, Love You has been praised by critics for the album's honest, unpretentious lyrics, and has been described as a portrait into Brian Wilson's sense of self in 1977. Heavily reliant on 1970s analog synthesizers, the album has been recognised as an idiosyncratic and creative oddity in the Beach Boys' canon.

They (10 Smilers) Wanna vote You off.

As usual vote for your least favorite track. The track with the most votes gets voted off.

Tally on March 15th

Let Us Go on This Way
Roller Skating Child
Mona
Johnny Carson
Good Time
Honkin' Down the Highway
Solar System
The Night Was So Young
I'll Bet He's Nice
Airplane

Round#1 - Love is a Woman March 7
Round#2 - Let's Put Our Hearts Together March 9
Round#3 - Ding Dang March 11
Round#4 - I Wanna Pick You Up March 13

This is probably the toughest album for me to vote things off. There are little things that make me love every since track.

That being said my vote for least favorite goes to Roller Skating Child. It feels the most thrown together of all the songs.
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 13, 2014, 12:43:12 PM »

Ooh, now it gets tough...

I'll go with Solar System.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: March 13, 2014, 12:44:33 PM »

I'll Bet He's Nice, mostly because I hate the first two lines. So cringy.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: March 13, 2014, 12:57:05 PM »

Honkin' Down the Highway
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #220 on: March 13, 2014, 01:04:42 PM »

Blimey! Wasn't keeping track of the votes - very sad to see I Wanna Pick You Up go. Sure the lyrics are a tad suspect, but that lovely accordion on the chorus is just fantastic, and the melody is one of the album's best!

MONA
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 13, 2014, 01:07:33 PM »

Mona
The Dumb Angel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 13, 2014, 01:21:18 PM »

Mona
Gabo