gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:31:31 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Survivor #25 Winner: I'll Bet He's Nice  (Read 63418 times)
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: March 11, 2014, 12:09:33 PM »

re Let's Put Our Heart's Together - anyone else noticed how Brian's 'old' voice seems to slip through right at the end of the song? It's quite tragic once you notice it, as it's a sad reminder of what was and what now is.

Especially when he sings "togetherrrr"

HIs voice was already shot at 34. Pretty sad.
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 11, 2014, 01:41:46 PM »

Solar System
Domino
Smiley Smile Associate

Hypnotize me, Van Dyke

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 11, 2014, 02:04:43 PM »

Good Time

Brian on why he loves God Only Knows: "Because Paul McCartney said it was his favourite song"

"New rule: Having anything to do with the creation of a punk rawk version of "All You Need Is Love" (never with the horn part because lol hornz are silly and dumb) gets you the death penalty. No questions, no trial, it's your fault, pick out your coffin." - runnersdialzero
zachrwolfe
« Reply #153 on: March 11, 2014, 03:41:41 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:21:37 PM by zatch » Logged
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 11, 2014, 04:10:01 PM »

Welcome Adult Child

Thank you feelsflow!  Smiley

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 11, 2014, 04:43:57 PM »

re Let's Put Our Heart's Together - anyone else noticed how Brian's 'old' voice seems to slip through right at the end of the song? It's quite tragic once you notice it, as it's a sad reminder of what was and what now is.

you're right. that last "together you and I" is classic Brian.

his voice wasn't shot, for the most part he chose to sing that way. he sounds clear as a bell on Matchpoint recorded a year later.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 11, 2014, 04:48:03 PM »

his voice wasn't shot, for the most part he chose to sing that way. he sounds clear as a bell on Matchpoint recorded a year later.

I've always been blown away by how he hits that final "I" that finishes the song. He sings just it perfectly.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 11, 2014, 04:49:54 PM »

seriously what a great song. is it mostly Marilyn's singing that makes some of you dislike LPOHT so much?
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 11, 2014, 04:56:59 PM »

I've always been blown away by how he hits that final "I" that finishes the song. He sings just it perfectly.

I've been listening to that final line, "together you and I", for 37 years now. And every time I hear it, I still wish/expect someone (whoever?) to come in on the "talkback" saying, "Great ending, Brian, let's try another one from the top..." Cheesy

Always thought Marilyn was an underrated singer. I really like her voice. I think I like every lead vocal she ever did. Can't really think of a clunker...
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 11, 2014, 05:02:01 PM »

I've been listening to that final line, "together you and I", for 37 years now. And every time I hear it, I still wish/expect someone (whoever?) to come in on the "talkback" saying, "Great ending, Brian, let's try another one from the top..." Cheesy

Always thought Marilyn was an underrated singer. I really like her voice. I think I like every lead vocal she ever did. Can't really think of a clunker...

"It's over now", she nearly ruined a great song

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
The Dumb Angel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 11, 2014, 05:22:05 PM »

seriously what a great song. is it mostly Marilyn's singing that makes some of you dislike LPOHT so much?
I do really like LPOHT, but the reason I decided to vote for it so early is because of Marilyn's half-assed vocals. I feel the same way towards It's Over Now.

When I want to listen to LPOHT, I almost always end up listening to the fantastic piano demo that appears on the Brian Loves You bootleg.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 05:27:17 PM by TheDumbAngel » Logged
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 11, 2014, 05:42:14 PM »

i'm not really a fan of Marilyn's vocals for the most part

but i do think she gave it her best effort on LPOHT
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 05:44:38 PM by bossaroo » Logged
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 11, 2014, 06:21:10 PM »

No, it doesn't. Listen closely and it sounds like late 70s Brian trying to sound smooth. His voice had changed.

bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 11, 2014, 06:42:55 PM »

he sounds pretty damn smooth to me. i think the real damage came later
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 11, 2014, 06:46:36 PM »

No, it doesn't. Listen closely and it sounds like late 70s Brian trying to sound smooth. His voice had changed.

It wasn't perfect, but it could have been a good starting point for vocal rehabilitation. With proper diet, continued vocal training and controlled drug use, I believe he'd have probably been able to sound close to how he did on the 1974 California Feeling demo.

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: March 11, 2014, 07:26:26 PM »

Good time

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 11, 2014, 08:07:57 PM »

Welcome back to a new round of BEACH BOYS SURVIVOR. Remember to be respectful of others opinions. Please don't spam the thread with too much opinionating (a little is ok  :D ).... and without further ado...

Love You (also known as The Beach Boys Love You) is the twenty-first studio album by American rock band the Beach Boys, released on April 11, 1977. Originally conceived as a Brian Wilson solo album entitled Brian Loves You, the album is almost entirely written and performed by Wilson, with the other band members mainly serving as additional lead vocalists.
Penned during a process of mental and drug rehabilitation for Wilson, Love You has been praised by critics for the album's honest, unpretentious lyrics, and has been described as a portrait into Brian Wilson's sense of self in 1977. Heavily reliant on 1970s analog synthesizers, the album has been recognised as an idiosyncratic and creative oddity in the Beach Boys' canon.

Ding Dang Dog Gone it!!!!

As usual vote for your least favorite track. The track with the most votes gets voted off.

Tally on March 13th

Let Us Go on This Way
Roller Skating Child
Mona
Johnny Carson
Good Time
Honkin' Down the Highway
Solar System
The Night Was So Young
I'll Bet He's Nice
I Wanna Pick You Up
Airplane

Round#1 - Love is a Woman March 7
Round#2 - Let's Put Our Hearts Together March 9
Round#3 - Ding Dang March 11

This is probably the toughest album for me to vote things off. There are little things that make me love every since track.

That being said my vote for least favorite goes to Roller Skating Child. It feels the most thrown together of all the songs.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 08:24:22 PM by pixletwin » Logged
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 11, 2014, 08:10:39 PM »

Ding Dang Damn it, I liked Ding Dang certainly more than

Roller Skating Child

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 11, 2014, 08:13:58 PM »

"I Wanna Pick You Up."

Needs more synth.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 11, 2014, 08:24:54 PM »

Airplane
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 11, 2014, 08:26:40 PM »

I WANNA cHANGE YOUR dIAPER

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 11, 2014, 08:37:39 PM »

Airplane
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 11, 2014, 09:59:20 PM »

I Wanna Pick You Up
zachrwolfe
« Reply #173 on: March 11, 2014, 10:44:37 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:21:26 PM by zatch » Logged
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 11, 2014, 11:13:31 PM »

Mona.  It's the most insubstantial of the songs left.

And since the conversation has continued to discuss Let's Put Our Hearts Together, I think the part that really sells me on it is the wordless backing vocal by what sounds like Mike.  Add an old-school Brian voice to the song and it's pure bliss.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 19 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx