gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:41:06 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Looking back at Looking Back With Love  (Read 5312 times)
Blue2013
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: March 04, 2014, 11:11:16 PM »

Does anyone know what Mike Love thinks of the album now?  Huh Huh Huh Huh
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 11:29:15 PM »

If you can wait a few months, I'll ask him.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Nicko1234
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 02:01:19 AM »

I remember Mike was asked about this on a phone in a few years ago...

He mentioned enjoying working with Curt Boettcher but bemoaned the fact that the record company went bust and couldn`t promote or ship the album or something.

Mike didn`t seem too thrilled to be asked about it though and I would say that generally speaking Mike is only really into talking about the hit songs and TM songs. I doubt he cares about LBWL now...
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 04:11:30 AM »

Never liked it, but would love to hear a clean copy of First Love.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 04:17:29 AM »

This album has a few decent tracks. It is better than SUMMER IN PARADISE and maybe as good as GETTIN' IN OVER MY HEAD.
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 04:33:05 AM »

Ask him about the story behind "Runnin' Around the World". Hilarity should ensue.

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 04:45:10 AM »

Andrew (G Doe), do you still stand by your extremely positive write-up of LBWL in your 'Complete Guide to...' book?

It was one of the most surprising assessments in the book, at least to me. I'd like to say it led me to hear the album in a different light but, alas, no - I still think it's pants.

(First Love however is fantastic!! Be sure to ask Mike if we can expect an official release any time soon please...)
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 05:49:55 AM »

Never heard it in full, kind of curious about "Rockin' the Man in the Boat". Grin
Aomdiddlywalla
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 08:02:26 AM »

Even in it's low-fi hiss 'First Love' is fantastic. Great stuff on there and a neat production (P.F again?), very cool
I too would like the Lovester to burn me a clean Cdr of it please. Grin
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 02:27:10 PM »

He mentioned enjoying working with Curt Boettcher but bemoaned the fact that the record company went bust and couldn`t promote or ship the album or something.

Mike didn`t seem too thrilled to be asked about it though and I would say that generally speaking Mike is only really into talking about the hit songs and TM songs. I doubt he cares about LBWL now...

I find it pretty hilarious when artists are obviously made uncomfortable when asked about some of their not-so-great work when they aren't expecting it. Like I seem to remember a thing where Paul McCartney was being asked about him maybe playing "Pipes of Peace" or something, And the way he responded was like somebody was digging through some of his days old garbage. Like he couldn't believe they even brought that up.

It's like when the guys had that Endless Summer TV show where Brian mentions that Mike did "Baby My Baby" on Looking Back With Love. This wasn't even a decade later, but you could tell Mike was super embarrassed by it. And I find that funny.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2014, 03:25:32 PM »

Why hasn't Nardwuar interviewed Mike or Brian? I bet he'd piss off Mike and Brian wouldn't know what to do with him, haha.
Blue2013
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2014, 03:31:15 PM »

So I guess it would be safe to say he doesn't like it.
Blue2013
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2014, 03:32:26 PM »

Why hasn't Nardwuar interviewed Mike or Brian? I bet he'd piss off Mike and Brian wouldn't know what to do with him, haha.

I hope he'll mention Looking Back With Love
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2014, 07:11:37 PM »

Never heard it in full, kind of curious about "Rockin' the Man in the Boat". Grin
I asked mike this very question backstage at rupp arena nov. 1st 1981. he looked at me and smiled and said, yes it was about female masturbation.

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2014, 07:15:34 PM »

Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2014, 07:24:01 PM »

Grin

The real question: is there any amount of money that could be offered to 2014 Mike to get Mike to perform Looking Back With Love (the album) live in its entirety? Kickstarter campaign, anyone?
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2014, 07:28:59 PM »

Let's do it! LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2014, 12:44:07 AM »

Grin

The real question: is there any amount of money that could be offered to 2014 Mike to get Mike to perform Looking Back With Love (the album) live in its entirety? Kickstarter campaign, anyone?

Please, no petition…

“We live in divisive times.”
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2014, 01:40:41 AM »

Only if he's reunited with Fossett.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2014, 01:54:14 AM »

Only if he's reunited with Fossett.

That would be one helluva trick - he died over six years ago.  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Blue2013
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2014, 02:37:26 AM »

Grin

This is what's truly needed in the world right now.  Grin
chrs_mrgn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2014, 09:22:15 AM »

I say we start a petition for Nardwuar to interview Mike or Brian.

That is a petition I can stand behind, he is such an entertaining interviewer.
micromoog
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2014, 09:34:20 AM »

This is the only time in the history of the world that anyone has questioned whether or not Mike Love could be convinced to do something for money.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2014, 12:27:26 PM »

I find it pretty hilarious when artists are obviously made uncomfortable when asked about some of their not-so-great work when they aren't expecting it. Like I seem to remember a thing where Paul McCartney was being asked about him maybe playing "Pipes of Peace" or something, And the way he responded was like somebody was digging through some of his days old garbage. Like he couldn't believe they even brought that up.

It's like when the guys had that Endless Summer TV show where Brian mentions that Mike did "Baby My Baby" on Looking Back With Love. This wasn't even a decade later, but you could tell Mike was super embarrassed by it. And I find that funny.

Huh? Pipes of Peace is a great song!
PhilSpectre
Smiley Smile Associate

May You Never Hear Surf Music ... Again

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2014, 01:50:42 PM »

Grin

This is what's truly needed in the world right now.  Grin

Indeed. What the world needs now is Love, sweet Love  LOL

In fact, if I were Mike's manager, I would be pushing for a multi-disc, remastered boxset of the Looking Back With Love Sessions, including every alternate version, cough and spit recorded for the album, in both mono and stereo mixes, plus accompanying LBWL Live tour and fully illustrated LBWL making-of book and feature-length TV documentary.

The obvious follow-ups would be similar packages for First Love, Country Love and Mike Love Not War  Cool
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx