gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:15:24 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Brian's Back"  (Read 7573 times)
ThyRavenAscend
Smiley Smile Associate

It is nice.

View Profile
« on: March 04, 2014, 01:02:28 AM »

So what's the general attitude toward this song on the forum?  I hadn't listened to it before MiC, and, I must say, I love it.  So many feels when I listen to it--but I don't really know the "real" back-story behind the song.  Someone care to expound a bit on this? Smiley

1 Corinthians 1:18-31
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 01:13:36 AM »

It's funny, and kinda awkward, but not bad. I'm glad it wasn't on any actual studio album.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 05:10:16 AM »

Which version ? There's at least three by Mike as well as the BB attempt. Personally I like the one with the little orchestral intro.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 05:18:19 AM »

So what's the general attitude toward this song on the forum?  I hadn't listened to it before MiC, and, I must say, I love it.  So many feels when I listen to it--but I don't really know the "real" back-story behind the song.  Someone care to expound a bit on this? Smiley

Written by Mike in about 1976 and recorded for his 1978 First Love album, after the band had a stab during the LA sessions. A version - not the best, IMHYEO -  was released on Endless Harmony and in 2005 or thereabout Mike recut it for the Mike Love, Not War solo album.

The MiC track is a Mike solo version. Yes, that is Carl. He's on a few other First Love tracks too...
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 05:19:11 AM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 06:51:16 AM »

Mike doesn't get a lot of love for his solo-written stuff, but some of it is pretty good -- at least as good as Al's songs, anyway. I've always liked 'Brian's Back'. It's filler, but catchy filler.
Gregg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 08:19:36 AM »

What makes the song is Carl's vocal. When he comes in with "They say that Brian is back" it takes a very mediocre song to a whole new level. And then his YSBIM falsetto line at the end is spine-tinglingly good!

So that's why I don't like the MIC version. Carl's vocal was brought down in the mix for some inexplicable reason.
Pim
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 10:06:34 AM »

It's cheesy, over the top, borrows a bit too much from previous songs, but I still really like it.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 12:00:12 PM »

It is a song best listened to in a sound proof room so that no one hears you listening to it,, but then it's OK.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 12:22:05 PM »

Personally, I think it's terrible. Grin

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 12:39:52 PM »

It's funny how Mike wanted to use this on a solo album. It's a musical version of "my cousin Brian"

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
silodweller
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 02:57:50 PM »

I've never heard the version with the orchestral intro but I have to say that I love the version found on the Endless Harmony soundtrack, especially that acoustic guitar solo in the middle.  The version found on MIC completely ruins the feel, and I honestly don't like that mix either. 

"Carl broke his cigarette over his G string, we're sorry..."
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2014, 07:29:30 PM »

sentimental sap indeed.

Mike's lyrical talents were long gone by the time he wrote this one.

but it does bring a tear to someone's eye:
http://youtu.be/CxnWvfJ1Q6E?t=2m41s
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2014, 07:42:52 PM »

sentimental sap indeed.

Mike's lyrical talents were long gone by the time he wrote this one.

but it does bring a tear to someone's eye:
http://youtu.be/CxnWvfJ1Q6E?t=2m41s

I don't know whether it's funny or sad to see Mike crying while reciting such self referential lyrical bullshit.
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2014, 08:18:03 PM »

I'm glad others have come forward in liking this song, as I was ashamed to admit how much I like it.  I listen to it with headphones, and sometimes when I'm alone, I find myself singing it and plunking out the chords on the piano.  But don't tell anybody.

Carl's voice just absolutely makes this song.  It was unfortunate to hear his part turned down so low in the mix on  MIC.  Also to my ears, it sounds like present-day Mike singing some of the verses.  His voice was stronger in 1978.  Anybody else hear this as well?

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2014, 09:58:06 PM »

So what's the general attitude toward this song on the forum?  I hadn't listened to it before MiC, and, I must say, I love it.  So many feels when I listen to it--but I don't really know the "real" back-story behind the song.  Someone care to expound a bit on this? Smiley

You have to have some real balls to admit in public that you like this song.  I've always liked it, but it's another example of a beach boys song that's just Not... Quite... There.  Mike's lyrics would probably be alright if somebody went over them 1 more time.  If he had a co-writer who would just change a few words here and there, and a few lines here and there, it'd be a really solid song.  He does things lyrically that bug the HELL out of me.

"We once rode a cab, out of Salt Lake city Now... "

Why does he add the "Now" in there?  Weird as sh*t.  If he would just change the melody slightly, it would go "Out of Salt Lake City.... coming up with fun, fun fun" and it would be just fine.  It's got that weird "Now" in there, though, that makes it corny and a little off.

He does that constantly, on about every song.  Just little minor things that could be touched up by somebody...

For whatever reason, I'm not really even in to Carl's vocals on it.  They're just a little off, not off key or anything of course, but they just don't quite get where they should be.  I don't know if they recorded the song in a weird key that Carl wasn't as good at, or what it is, but they just don't quite 'get there'.  Even the little "You Still Believe In Me" flourish on the end doesn't sound as great as the original song. 

I like the sentiment behind the song, and for the most part I enjoy it, but it's another Beach Boys song that doesn't quite hit the mark.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2014, 10:36:41 PM »

You know what really gets me? Why this song, which is a solo Mike Love song (albeit with Carl on it too), gets included on Made In California while other stuff that are actually "Beach Boys" recordings get left off, is beyond me. I know it was probably a political decision with Mike probably wanting a certain number of "his" songs on there or whatever. But if he did want his songs on there, why not put actual Beach Boys recordings like his alternate version of "Big Sur" or some other outtake. Shoot, I'd take that horrendous version of "At the Hop" that he sang lead on rather than this again.

And if they had to include "Brian's Back", why not include the actual Beach Boys version that was recorded in 1978 and produced by Brian. I'm not sure if a lead vocal was recorded, but if not, either fly in his vocal for his solo version or, even better, just have him record a new vocal.
Nicko1234
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2014, 02:07:44 AM »

You know what really gets me? Why this song, which is a solo Mike Love song (albeit with Carl on it too), gets included on Made In California while other stuff that are actually "Beach Boys" recordings get left off, is beyond me. I know it was probably a political decision with Mike probably wanting a certain number of "his" songs on there or whatever. But if he did want his songs on there, why not put actual Beach Boys recordings like his alternate version of "Big Sur" or some other outtake. Shoot, I'd take that horrendous version of "At the Hop" that he sang lead on rather than this again.

And if they had to include "Brian's Back", why not include the actual Beach Boys version that was recorded in 1978 and produced by Brian. I'm not sure if a lead vocal was recorded, but if not, either fly in his vocal for his solo version or, even better, just have him record a new vocal.

There certainly were some odd inclusions and omissions. If they were to have included a song from Mike`s solo career than a genuinely unreleased onw would have been much more welcome.

Brian`s Back is ok but there are certainly better songs on First Love and several remain unreleased.
scooby1970
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2014, 04:19:27 AM »

I really like the Endless Harmony and Made In California versions of this song. I think it's a great melody, and when Carl kicks in, it's lifted from a good song into a very good song.

Smiley Mark

Long time Beach Boys fan and collector. Long time forum browser.
Gregg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2014, 07:16:42 AM »

For whatever reason, I'm not really even in to Carl's vocals on it.  They're just a little off, not off key or anything of course, but they just don't quite get where they should be.  I don't know if they recorded the song in a weird key that Carl wasn't as good at, or what it is, but they just don't quite 'get there'.  Even the little "You Still Believe In Me" flourish on the end doesn't sound as great as the original song. 

What?! Really? What exactly do you find "a liitle off" about Carl's vocal? His pitch is perfect. His phrasing is beautiful. He sings each line with that sensitive breath control that only Carl could pull of so well. And regarding the key of the song, it actually modulates to a higher key, and he sounds equally amazing in BOTH keys. Anyway, the key a song is in is not a factor for a singer at Carl's level of ability. Maybe the range of the melody in a particular key but no key is easier to sing than another. The intervals all transpose equally.

I guess it's a subjective thing whether you like his vocal or not, but it's clearly a quality performance by Carl. Maybe his vocal shines even more because Mike's vocal is rather weak.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2014, 08:06:15 AM »

I love Carl's voice on most things, but there's something about the way it sounds, to my ear on that song that's just off.  It may just be that it's a "Brian Style" falsetto, but not Brian singing it... It'd be like Carl mixed into the falsetto on California Girls, i'm sure he'd sing it dead in key and it'd sound fine, but it wouldn't quite be right because I'd expect Brian's voice...

Just personal preference, and as for the key I'm not saying he's off-key, I was just supposing that maybe there's certain keys that he doesn't sound as full on.  Could be wrong.

I think he sounds much better with this 'type' of falsetto on things like "All This Is That" or something like that. 

shadownoze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2014, 08:29:20 AM »

I always thought Mike was taking a boastful dig at Brian with the line: "You fell in love with a pretty cheerleader; I EVEN MARRIED ONE!"
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2014, 09:13:35 AM »

I love it.  Awesome stuff. 
Watch a Cave
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2014, 02:33:27 PM »

I just cant get past that cheerleader line..  ugggh.  It really turns me off.  So corny.

Carl does have a nice vocal though.
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2014, 03:06:55 PM »

I just cant get past that cheerleader line..  ugggh.  It really turns me off.  So corny.

Carl does have a nice vocal though.

"Not to mention ol' Pet Sounds..." is the one that really makes me wince. Structurally. Contextually. Everything about it...lol.

But, that's just me.
bachelorofbullets
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2014, 05:56:59 PM »

Love the song but Mike is such a polarizing figure it's difficult to get around that.

I would throw it in with California Saga and Airplane, amazing music that nobody knows about.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx