gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:28:50 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Da Doo Ron Ron"  (Read 7699 times)
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 02, 2014, 09:34:28 PM »

So the guys recorded this one in 1979 for Keepin' the Summer Alive and it didn't make on the album. And it finally got an official release last year on  Made In California. But I gotta say I'm kinda surprised that this was a Bruce Johnston production. Not because of the sound, but because it was a Spector cover in the late '70s by The Beach Boys.

If I heard that the song came from the Brian produced sessions then it would make sense because Spector covers (and oldies covers in general) was something he really seemed to be into at the time. But it's odd to see that the group would even bother with something like this during the Bruce produced sessions.

Anyways, anybody in the know *cough* c-man *cough* aware of whether Brian was heavily involved in this one or not? I would be surprised to learn if he wasn't. Actually in general I kinda wonder about Brian's participation on KTSA. He's obviously much more audible then he was on L.A. (Light Album) but I wonder if he was involved much instrumentally or vocally especially on the songs he didn't write.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 10:51:41 PM by sweetdudejim » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 10:18:04 PM »

Recorded 10/17/79 at Western, with "Surfer Suzie".

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 03:46:53 AM »

Anyways, anybody in the know *cough* c-man *cough* aware of whether Brian was heavily involved in this one or not? I would be surprised to learn if he wasn't. Actually in general I kinda wonder about Brian's participation on KTSA. He's obviously much more audible then he was on L.A. (Light Album) but I wonder if he was involved much instrumentally or vocally especially on the songs he didn't write.

Yes, and yes.
If it was Brian's idea to record a cover, then he was heavily involved instrumentally and vocally, and probably arrangement-wise: besides "Da Do Ron Ron", examples from those sessions are "School Days", "Little Girl", "Jamaica Farewell", "Stranded In The Jungle" (Brian actually produced the basic tracks for those four, under Bruce's "supervision", a few months before the bulk of the sessions started), "Johnny B. Goode", and "Smokey Places". Two that he apparently WASN'T involved with (at least instrumentally) were "I'll Always Love You" and the Bruce-driven re-recording of "Johnny B. Goode" two weeks after the Brian-driven original.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2019, 08:45:12 PM »

Yes, and yes.
If it was Brian's idea to record a cover, then he was heavily involved instrumentally and vocally, and probably arrangement-wise: besides "Da Do Ron Ron", examples from those sessions are "School Days", "Little Girl", "Jamaica Farewell", "Stranded In The Jungle" (Brian actually produced the basic tracks for those four, under Bruce's "supervision", a few months before the bulk of the sessions started), "Johnny B. Goode", and "Smokey Places". Two that he apparently WASN'T involved with (at least instrumentally) were "I'll Always Love You" and the Bruce-driven re-recording of "Johnny B. Goode" two weeks after the Brian-driven original.

I know this is really bringing back an oldie, but c-man, if you know, could you let us know what the line-up was for this tune, both instrumentally and vocally?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2019, 11:58:20 PM »

Da Doo Ron Ron:

Brian (piano), Bruce (Fender Rhodes), Mike Meros (piano & Moog), Ed Carter (guitar), Bill House (guitar), Jerry Scheff (bass), Gary Mallaber (drums)
Vocals were added later at Al's Big Sur ranch studio, with Carl on lead of course, and presumably Brian, Carl, Mike, Al, and Bruce on backgrounds.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2019, 02:02:54 AM »

Yes, and yes.

Holy sh!t! There were two versions of Johnny B. Goode? I want to hear both of them. One of those had Dennis on drums and was probably the last time Dennis played on a Beach Boys session. I think his other contribution was some percussion on Endless Harmony.
Do you know who played on the two JBG's, c-man? And in case you've heard them, could you describe what they sound like?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2019, 03:59:20 AM »

I vaguely recall somebody on here(either c-man or Stebbins?) several years ago posting that there is evidence that Dennis actually isn't on Johnny B Goode after all. Does anybody remember that? Or maybe it was Andrew Doe that said it.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2019, 06:28:12 AM »

One thing I can add in terms of what the KTSA take on "Da Doo Ron Ron" *sounds* like is that, if you listen to it (especially the much more dry raw take of the song that circulated several years prior to its 2013 release on MIC where it had a fair amount of reverb, etc. added), it sounds much more like a "Bruce" production as far as what Bruce-produced stuff was sounding like around that time.

It has very up front, rather anonymous-sounding drums. Everything is kind of dry and, arguably, kind of bland and homogeneous in terms of the production sound. It definitely sounds like the same guy that produced a rather mechanical track like the title track "Keepin' the Summer Alive", and "Some Of Your Love", etc. 

As I often say, I'm a bigger fan of this era than most fans actually. So I get a lot of enjoyment out of something like "Da Doo Ron Ron" even if I objectively realize it's a workmanlike, competent production and not much more. I do think the group vocals are nice on it. 

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2019, 07:53:43 AM »

I vaguely recall somebody on here(either c-man or Stebbins?) several years ago posting that there is evidence that Dennis actually isn't on Johnny B Goode after all. Does anybody remember that? Or maybe it was Andrew Doe that said it.

That was me, and it was actually "Endless Harmony" I was talking about. It appears that one AFM contract was filed for both "Endless Harmony" and "Goin' To The Beach". Both songs were worked on at Al's studio, but Dennis wasn't present for that. According to eyewitness reports, he WAS, however, present for a subsequent Rumbo overdub session for "Goin' To The Beach", which is why his name is on that contract. It seems the intent was for him to add a drum track, perhaps replacing Scott Mathews' original drums. According to reports, Dennis sat down at the kit, "made some noise", and was dismissed. Christine McVie reportedly accompanied him to this session. No report on her reaction.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2019, 08:08:05 AM »

Yes, and yes.

Holy sh!t! There were two versions of Johnny B. Goode? I want to hear both of them. One of those had Dennis on drums and was probably the last time Dennis played on a Beach Boys session. I think his other contribution was some percussion on Endless Harmony.
Do you know who played on the two JBG's, c-man? And in case you've heard them, could you describe what they sound like?

Johnny # 1:
Brian, Bruce, Mike Meros (keyboards), Carl (guitar), Dennis (drums), Gary Mallaber (drums), Bill House (guitar), Jerry Scheff (bass)

Johnny # 2:
John Hobbs (keyboards), Steve Ross (guitars), Bill House (guitar), Bryan Garofalo (bass), Ricky Fataar (drums)

I have not heard either version.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2019, 09:20:44 AM »

Yes, and yes.

Johnny # 1:
Brian, Bruce, Mike Meros (keyboards), Carl (guitar), Dennis (drums), Gary Mallaber (drums), Bill House (guitar), Jerry Scheff (bass)

Johnny # 2:
John Hobbs (keyboards), Steve Ross (guitars), Bill House (guitar), Bryan Garofalo (bass), Ricky Fataar (drums)

I have not heard either version.

Thank you! Oh man, I would love to hear Carl play with Jerry Scheff!

That was me, and it was actually "Endless Harmony" I was talking about. It appears that one AFM contract was filed for both "Endless Harmony" and "Goin' To The Beach". Both songs were worked on at Al's studio, but Dennis wasn't present for that. According to eyewitness reports, he WAS, however, present for a subsequent Rumbo overdub session for "Goin' To The Beach", which is why his name is on that contract. It seems the intent was for him to add a drum track, perhaps replacing Scott Mathews' original drums. According to reports, Dennis sat down at the kit, "made some noise", and was dismissed. Christine McVie reportedly accompanied him to this session. No report on her reaction.

Can't blame him for not coming up with anything useful for "Goin' to the beach". What a lousy song.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2019, 09:31:59 AM »

Thank you! Oh man, I would love to hear Carl play with Jerry Scheff!

I recall some time back c-man mentioning that Jerry Scheff plays on several KTSA sessions. He's apparently playing bass on "Oh, Darlin'" though went without credit on the KTSA liner notes.

And of course, *Jason* Scheff is on a few solo BB sessions, including playing bass on the "Beckley Lamm Wilson" stuff and also adding some backing vocals on some1986 Brian-Gary Usher sessions ("The Spirit of Rock and Roll" at least as I recall).
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 09:32:46 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2019, 09:32:35 AM »

How many sessions did Ricky play on after departing in 1974? Or was that a one off?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2019, 09:39:57 AM »

How many sessions did Ricky play on after departing in 1974? Or was that a one off?

Wiki, which I know we all know is far from perfect, credits Fataar as playing drums on the title track "Keepin' the Summer Alive" and then also "Sunshine." Its citation loops back to a thread on this board, but I can't find the specific citation for those tracks, only a mention that Fataar is on several KTSA tracks.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2019, 09:47:36 AM »

Ricky is also credited on percussion on "Just Once In My Life" from 15BO.

Perhaps he was kicking around the BB orbit in 1976/77 due to playing on some Dennis stuff.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2019, 10:03:27 AM »

Interesting. Thanks for all your hard work in figuring this stuff out, c-man. I really can't wait for that sessionography.

So what you're saying is that it seems that "Endless Harmony" does not have Denny on drums on it at all? If so, who is the drummer on that song?

It's interesting how if that's the case, it will change how I envision the song in my head, since after previously hearing it was Denny playing on EH, I'd then always visually pictured Denny playing on the EH as his last session for a BBs-penned song, but now that seems to not be the case.  What would be the last non-cover, BBs-penned song that Denny played on then?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2019, 10:21:01 AM »

Interesting. Thanks for all your hard work in figuring this stuff out, c-man. I really can't wait for that sessionography.

So what you're saying is that it seems that "Endless Harmony" does not have Denny on drums on it at all? If so, who is the drummer on that song?

It's interesting how if that's the case, it will change how I envision the song in my head, since after previously hearing it was Denny playing on EH, I'd then always visually pictured Denny playing on the EH as his last session for a BBs-penned song, but now that seems to not be the case.  What would be the last non-cover, BBs-penned song that Denny played on then?

Scott Mathews did the final drum track on "Endless Harmony". The last non-cover, BBs-penned song that Denny played on would seem to be "Stevie" (Dec 1980-Jan 1981).
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2019, 10:30:01 AM »

It's interesting how if that's the case, it will change how I envision the song in my head, since after previously hearing it was Denny playing on EH, I'd then always visually pictured Denny playing on the EH as his last session for a BBs-penned song, but now that seems to not be the case.  What would be the last non-cover, BBs-penned song that Denny played on then?

Scott Mathews did the final drum track on "Endless Harmony". The last non-cover, BBs-penned song that Denny played on would seem to be "Stevie" (Dec 1980-Jan 1981).

Thanks, c-man. Wow. All the more reason why that song really needs to be properly released, apart from it being one of the best songs from this era, and the only Denny-produced or Denny-co-produced (is that correct?) Brian original. The Stevie drum fills have got a POB-sounding production touch.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 10:31:08 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2019, 10:33:26 AM »

It's interesting how if that's the case, it will change how I envision the song in my head, since after previously hearing it was Denny playing on EH, I'd then always visually pictured Denny playing on the EH as his last session for a BBs-penned song, but now that seems to not be the case.  What would be the last non-cover, BBs-penned song that Denny played on then?

Thanks, c-man. Wow. All the more reason why that song really needs to be properly released, apart from it being one of the best songs from this era, and the only Denny-produced or Denny-co-produced (is that correct?) Brian original. The Stevie drum fills have got a POB-sounding production touch.

Yes, Dennis co-produced "Stevie" with his friend Garby Leon.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2019, 10:40:17 AM »

The way the KTSA album sessions worked, a group of musicians were employed for a run of several dates, after which other musicians might take over for the next stretch, and so on. This was probably due to availability (meaning, they were likely employed for, say, two weeks, after which they were unavailable due to other bookings, and so someone else had to be hired). Aside from the first two days at Western in July (when Hal Blaine drummed), the drum chair was occupied first by Gary Mallaber, then Ricky, and then finally Scott Mathews. As mentioned, Dennis was also there for Mallaber's first day (at Western), and returned later on for that abortive attempt at "Goin' To The Beach" (at Rumbo).

Bruce had previously used Ricky as drummer on sessions for David Cassidy, and may have hired him for KTSA at Carl's suggestion.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2019, 11:43:22 AM »

I remember going years back, I had always heard that Dennis only provided some percussion on an "Endless Harmony" session rather than the actual drums, so it's funny that I kind of always thought of it the opposite way, that Dennis was technically on the session, but that his supposed contribution had either not been used at all, or had been rendered virtually inaudible.

The actual full drums on the second half of the song definitely don't sound like Dennis's drumming to me.

All moot of course if he wasn't at the session at all.

Intriguing to think that he was at a "Goin' to the Beach" session, though.

Interestingly, when Dennis rejoined the band  in mid-1980 and they were doing KTSA songs in concert, Dennis only drummed on "School Days." Bobby Figueroa drummed on "Keepin' the Summer Alive", "Some of Your Love", and "Santa Ana Winds", all performed after Dennis returned. (They had probably dropped "Goin' On" and "Livin' With a Heartache" by the time Dennis rejoined).

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2019, 11:48:39 AM »

It's interesting to note when the band did or didn't use the touring band members in the studio. There were obviously a lot of variables at play, including availability and what type of sound they were looking for.

But it's interesting that, for instance, Bobby Figueroa didn't drum on any KTSA sessions while they turned to three other session drummers.

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2019, 11:57:00 AM »

It's interesting to note when the band did or didn't use the touring band members in the studio. There were obviously a lot of variables at play, including availability and what type of sound they were looking for.

But it's interesting that, for instance, Bobby Figueroa didn't drum on any KTSA sessions while they turned to three other session drummers.

Yeah...Bobby and Eddie are both all over L.A., and Carli Munoz, Sterling Smith, and Mike Meros make contributions, too (as does Joe Chemay, who would play bass for them live later on). For KTSA, though, Eddie was only present on that one date, and that's just because his composition "Surfer Suzie" was tracked at the same session. Mike Meros, however, was present for many of those sessions, including the July dates with Wrecking Crew legends Blaine, Pohlman, and Randi. Carli Munoz was brought in for one overdub late in the sessions, though - interesting, because he'd left the road band by that point.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2019, 11:59:52 AM »

I remember going years back, I had always heard that Dennis only provided some percussion on an "Endless Harmony" session rather than the actual drums, so it's funny that I kind of always thought of it the opposite way, that Dennis was technically on the session, but that his supposed contribution had either not been used at all, or had been rendered virtually inaudible.

The actual full drums on the second half of the song definitely don't sound like Dennis's drumming to me.

All moot of course if he wasn't at the session at all.

Intriguing to think that he was at a "Goin' to the Beach" session, though.

Interestingly, when Dennis rejoined the band  in mid-1980 and they were doing KTSA songs in concert, Dennis only drummed on "School Days."

Although Bobby does a great job on KTSA (the song) at Knebworth, I could very well imagine Dennis playing on that (and beat the sh!t out of the drums). Not so much on the other songs from KTSA (the album).

- Jack Rieley
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2019, 12:26:02 PM »

Wiki, which I know we all know is far from perfect, credits Fataar as playing drums on the title track "Keepin' the Summer Alive" and then also "Sunshine." Its citation loops back to a thread on this board, but I can't find the specific citation for those tracks, only a mention that Fataar is on several KTSA tracks.

I have been the Wiki editor in question...I’ve connected a lot of threads on this board to various topics and I remember there being some specific citation but maybe I forgot to mention it/misplaced the link.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx