gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:23:02 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: What is your favourite 70s Beach Boys album?
Sunflower - 61 (50%)
Surf's Up - 21 (17.2%)
Carl and the Passions- So Tough - 2 (1.6%)
Holland - 11 (9%)
15 Big Ones - 0 (0%)
Love You - 24 (19.7%)
M.I.U. Album - 1 (0.8%)
L.A. (Light Album) - 2 (1.6%)
Total Voters: 113

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Album Era Polls: The 70s (1970-79)  (Read 30203 times)
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2014, 08:00:20 PM »

1. Sunflower - One of the albums I listen to most by the band. I really love the way this album sounds - a million thanks to Mr. Desper. Also, all the tracks are great and this is a very consistent album (besides those pesky GtKtW and IAT tracks). My favorites are probably "All I Wanna Do," "Deirdre," "This Whole World," and "Cool, Cool Water."

2. Love You - This album was the essence of Brian - quirky, yet intriguing. The music is pretty interesting, the lyrics are earnest, and the voices are insane - they all sound like they've gone through some stuff. A wonderful, hidden gem unlike anything else from the mid-70s. My favorites are "I'll Bet He's Nice," "Solar System," "Let Us Go On This Way," and "Mona." Oh, and "Good Time."

3. Surf's Up - Probably the highest highs of any Beach Boy album in the 70s (that last, three-song run is fantastic). I like all the songs here: DGNtW has an awesome chorus melody "toothpaste and soap will make the oceans a bubble bath" and, of course, that coda is awesome; TaLOYF is a silly track - sure - but it's fun, and that's good enough for me; SDT has awesome guitar playing and one of Mike's best lines, "The pen is mightier than the sword, but no match for a gun" (which he promptly ruins with the "bachelor of bullets"-thing). This is also Carl's finest hour as a songwriter and tunesmith. My favorites would be "'Til I Die," "Feel Flows," "Disney Girl (1957)," and "A Day in the Life of a Tree."

This is where quality falls off.

4. Carl and the Passions - "So Tough" - A fine album in it's own right, but certainly a step down from its immediate predecessor. Nothing is downright terrible, but few tracks stand out for me. The Ricky and Blondie stuff is decent, but nothing too unique. One of the odder moments on a Beach Boy records is a gospel song, but, hey, they have the vocal abilities to pull it off - and they do. Dennis's stuff is fine, with "Make It Good" being the more interesting of the two ("Cuddle Up" sounds like stereotypical Dennis to me). Brian's rockers are nice stuff, too, but nothing too exceptional, although they are interesting, considering how different they were than Brian's typical thoroughfare. The best track on this album, surprisingly, has no Brian involvement: "All This is That" - a wonderfully produced song. My favorites are "All This Is That," both of Brian's tunes, and "He Come Down."

5. 15 Big Ones - One of the more maligned/forgotten albums in the canon. I think it deserves some critical re-evaluation. I would love to be able to hear more of those backing tracks, they sound quite interesting and different. There are some good songs here and this album definitely has a certain charm to it. My favorite tracks are "Had to Phone Ya," "Just Once in My Life," and "Back Home."

6. Holland - Quite boring. They sound tired here - unimaginative, even. It sounds like your standard 70s rock band: earthy. I hardly ever listen to this album and for the life of me, I can never remember what "Leaving This Town" is. Dennis' tracks are fine enough, and I like that he was getting a bit more experimental with "Steamboat" and moving away from what you would normally expect from him. "Sail On, Sailor" is nice, too, but I can't help but wish that a Wilson brother had put down a lead (and that it was released) for this song. Anyway, it's just an unexceptionable album to my ears. My favorite tracks are "Funky Pretty," "The Trader," "California Saga: California," and "Sail On, Sailor."

I can't rate either MIU or L.A. (Light Album) because I haven't listened to either.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 09:55:26 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
SonoraDick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2014, 09:48:37 PM »

Sunflower.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2014, 11:23:54 PM »

I hope Capitol's taking note of Sunflower's runaway popularity and readying the Deluxe package for release already…

“We live in divisive times.”
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2014, 01:26:11 AM »

I hope Capitol's taking note of Sunflower's runaway popularity and readying the Deluxe package for release already…

Big Sur 4/4 bonus track
bluesno1fann
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2014, 01:44:59 AM »

Big Sur 4/4 bonus track

Yeah, I'd love to see that officially released. But why stop there?

If the powers above do decide to release a deluxe package, I'd love to see them add most if not all the stuff still unreleased from that period! (Such as I'm Going Your Way). Plus songs that have already been released from that era but are available elsewhere (Like Loop De Loop, Shunshine, etc.). Not to mention outtakes, alternate versions (Great example being Tears In The Morning), live performances, etc.

So much potential...
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2014, 01:52:49 AM »

I'm going to shock you:

1. Love You (1977)               
2. Holland (1973)
3. 15 Big Ones (1976)                   
4. Sunflower (1970)
5. Carl and the Passions - "So Tough" (1972)
6. Surf's Up (1971)
7. M.I.U. Album (1978)
8. L.A. (Light Album) (1979)

I find Sunflower hard to place anywhere. It's a masterpiece, in it's own way. But I don't find it that cohesive of an album. And sorry, but 15 Big Ones just kills!
MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2014, 05:08:51 AM »

1. Sunflower - Saccharine and concise, I love it
2. Holland - Earthy and rambling, I love it.
3. Love You - I love it.
4. Surf's Up - Some great songs and some good songs. Just doesn't grab me as an album that much in spite of the top-notch material.
5. Carl and the Passions - Some say scattershot, I say eclectic.
6. MIU - My first non-Pet Sounds Beach Boys album and I'm afraid I'll never be impartial; I love it.
7. LA - Like CATP it's disjointed and feels like none of the members are working together. That's irrelevant though really, good songs.
8. 15 Big Ones - Just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I'm sure there's more to it than I can hear, it just requires work.
Bill M
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2014, 07:00:53 AM »

1. The Beach Boys in Concert
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2014, 07:38:34 AM »

If it weren't for Tears in Mourning and Got to Got to Got to Got to Got to Know A Woman, my pick would hands-down be Sunflower. The production on Sunflower is immaculate, it's full of some of their best songs...but the flow of that album is, to me, ruined by a couple songs that shouldn't be on there.

Gotta go with Holland - flows perfectly, not one offensive song on it, and it has one of the best tag songs of any Beach Boys album.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 07:55:45 AM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2014, 10:56:42 AM »

It's funny that some people love Sunflower for the exact same reason they dislike 20/20.  Also, I'm sure some of the "odd" votes to some of the less popular albums were picked with the same bizarre "logic" that had people vote for something other than their "FAVORITE TRACK" in the Survivor threads.   Roll Eyes
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2014, 12:39:02 PM »

Love You is my fave of the 70's.
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2014, 01:53:08 PM »

Holland. By far.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2014, 02:35:08 PM »

For me, Sunflower, CATP, Surf' Up and Holland are closer to the late 60s output than the late 70s stuff. LA nearly makes it, but that's based more on the songs it could have included rather than MOST of what was actually on there. Then again, we could have had a version that included Calendar Girl... The only post Holland albums to touch this era in terms of quality are POB and to a lesser extent, BW88.
clinikillz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2014, 03:09:31 PM »

1. Surf's Up
2. Sunflower
3. Holland
4. Love You

Haven't heard any of the others, save for a few select tracks.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2014, 03:18:54 PM »

1. Surf's Up
2. Sunflower
3. Holland
4. Love You

Carl and the Passions and M.I.U. are definitely worth checking out. CATP is one of the best sounding Beach Boys albums, and as much as people trash MIU it's actually a pretty good selection of songs.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
clinikillz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2014, 11:14:48 PM »

1. Surf's Up
2. Sunflower
3. Holland
4. Love You

Carl and the Passions and M.I.U. are definitely worth checking out. CATP is one of the best sounding Beach Boys albums, and as much as people trash MIU it's actually a pretty good selection of songs.

I'll check 'em out. Thanks for recommending them.
ThyRavenAscend
Smiley Smile Associate

It is nice.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2014, 11:30:56 PM »

1) Sunflower   
2) Surf's Up
3) M.I.U.  (Yes, this one is a legitimate option.)
4) Love You
5) Carl and the Passions- So Tough
6) Holland
7) 15 Big Ones
Cool L.A.

1 Corinthians 1:18-31
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2014, 12:01:49 PM »

Love You, followed by Holland and then Sunflower.
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2014, 11:10:47 AM »

Sunflower

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2014, 06:44:21 PM »

For me, Dennis' rockers easily give Sunflower the edge over Surf's Up,
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2014, 03:01:51 AM »

It's either Love You or Sunflower for me (voted for the former). Two totally different albums and I love them both. They did some great stuff in between but on some albums they were probably trying a little hard to be hippies/rockers. Worked amazingly well most of the time but occasionally it doesn't seem all that genuine to me from today's perspective. Anyway, it's not a complaint, I even love most of CATP. 15BO and Light Album are totally underrated as far as I'm concerned, while M.I.U. never really clicked with me.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2014, 08:53:23 AM »

Surf's Up!----IMO their best album, period.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2014, 12:32:49 PM »

1. Sunflower (by far....their last cohesive album in my book)
2. Surf's Up (half good, the other half tolerable to wtf?)
3. The rest are dead to me
that pretty much says it/ altho I always liked holland ,its beyond known that the BBs output in the 70s peaked with sunflower; surfs up was decent, holland was decent and love you is a brian wilson album with the BBs name on it...
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2014, 08:01:18 AM »

M.I.U. Album (Does this need an option)
This is the kind of comment I fail to understand - this is the album era polls for the 70s (btw, I would exclude 1970 as it belongs to the 60s, technically) & M.I.U. dates 1978. The half of the fans may not like it, even throw it out the window, but the record's made history & you cannot write it off, or else that would mean you're ignoring the other half of the fans who genuinely regard M.I.U. as one of their favorite albums.
true. Sunflower marked an end of an era. Miu, light album and keepin the summer were albums made up of older sessions, remakes and various misc/ holland was the last solid group effort
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2014, 11:23:06 AM »

Miu, light album and keepin the summer were albums made up of older sessions, remakes and various misc

No, that's wrong.

Also, 1970 does not belong to the 60's - at all.
The 60's is 1960-1969, which is a length of ten years and therefore constitutes a decade.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx