gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:58:22 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: So which is the original?  (Read 1229 times)
silodweller
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 27, 2014, 08:37:51 AM »

I have a copy of "Friends/20/20" which was bought when it was released in 1990 as well as the 2001 release.  Now aside from the version of "Ol' Man River" being different on the two releases, I have also noticed (particularly on the "Friends" album) that there fade outs are slightly faster too.  "Be Here In The Morning" and "Anna Lee, The Healer" have shorter fade outs when compared to the 2001 release.  What I am wondering is, which is a true representation of how the album (Friends) sounded when it was released in 1968 with regard to the fade outs?  Did it have the faster fade outs as heard on the 1990 release of the album or rather that of the 2001 release?  Why would those involved change something like that in the first place? 

"Carl broke his cigarette over his G string, we're sorry..."
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 09:52:21 AM »

I have a copy of "Friends/20/20" which was bought when it was released in 1990 as well as the 2001 release.  Now aside from the version of "Ol' Man River" being different on the two releases, I have also noticed (particularly on the "Friends" album) that there fade outs are slightly faster too.  "Be Here In The Morning" and "Anna Lee, The Healer" have shorter fade outs when compared to the 2001 release.  What I am wondering is, which is a true representation of how the album (Friends) sounded when it was released in 1968 with regard to the fade outs?  Did it have the faster fade outs as heard on the 1990 release of the album or rather that of the 2001 release?  Why would those involved change something like that in the first place? 

Not having a vinyl copy to hand I can't guide you, but the version of friends I have on my PC always sounded akin to that copy... I think my Friends mp3 is 1990, sinc eit down't appear top be heavily compressed...

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Mark H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 10:33:48 AM »

What are the differences in Old Man River versions?
silodweller
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 10:48:27 AM »

The 1990 version doesn't have the section where it stops before going into the bass/piano/guitar part, instead what happens is after the first instrumental break it goes back into the vocal section (coming down from the key change that the instrumental section starts in when the trombone comes in and the harmonica takes the lead) "that ol' man river/he just keeps rollin' along..." is again sung in the orginal key.  It also fade outs a lot earlier than what is heard on the 2001 release.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 12:37:45 PM by silodweller » Logged

"Carl broke his cigarette over his G string, we're sorry..."
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx