-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:12:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: peteramescarlin.com
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  RIP Harold Ramis
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: RIP Harold Ramis  (Read 4521 times)
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 24, 2014, 11:17:34 AM »

We lost another great one.  A legend of comedy, an actor and writer partially responsible for Animal House, Stripes, Ghostbusters, and my favorite, Groundhog Day which he also directed.  He was 69.

http://www.avclub.com/article/rip-harold-ramis-201412

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 12:09:38 PM »

RIP, thanks for the laughs.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 12:10:42 PM »

Well that took my interest level in a new Ghost Busters movie from 100 to 0.

RIP HR.
dellydel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 12:42:24 PM »

Damn, that blows.  I often forget he also directed the first National Lampoon's Vacation, another favorite of mine.

Any video game players out there?  Ramis voiced Egon for a pretty damn decent Ghostbusters game that came out a couple years ago.  It wasn't perfect, but I'm glad we at least have that, since now there probably won't be a third Ghostbusters.  (which is probably a good thing)

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 12:43:58 PM »

He directed "Caddyshack",which is one of my favorite movies.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 12:59:02 PM »

He directed "Caddyshack",which is one of my favorite movies.

Gah, one of my favorites as well. What a shame Undecided

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 01:13:53 PM »

RIP, HR.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Gregg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 01:52:24 PM »

It's always saddest when it's someone who provided so much laughter to your life.  Cry
bluesno1fann
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 02:08:04 PM »

He directed National Lampoon's Vacation (which has always been a favourite of mine) as well as Analyze This.

R.I.P.  Cry
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 09:10:55 PM »

Why do the good ones have to go? Why couldn't it have been Dane Cook instead?

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 11:17:34 PM »

RIP

http://fridaynightboys300.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/harold-ramis-rip.html
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 01:46:56 AM »

...now there probably won't be a third Ghostbusters.  (which is probably a good thing)

You never know - perhaps Harold could be summonsed for a float in role?

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 07:57:22 AM »

This is sad news.  Harold Ramis seemed like such great guy.  Not show-boaty, not in your face.  So under-rated and under appreciated.  Yet he had a pretty damn impressive directing and acting resume.

Caddyshack.

Caddyshack says it all.  That's a helluva debut for young director.  With that much talent on the set and the wild non-stop party that everything was -- for it to come together so fcking brilliantly is ridiculous.  Caddyshack should have been a train wreck.  Thin plot.  So many personalities and characters.  Budget and time issues.  Golf?  A golf movie?  Yet it is one of the greatest comedies ever made.  One of the most loved sports movies of all time -- and easily the greatest and most loved sports-comedy ever.  That's not hyperbole.

That's not something that just happens.  It takes a strange balance of calm, yet a love of chaos.  Only Harold Ramis could have directed that ship.  That really says something to me -- when you can direct that much madness into something that people just love.

He had such an easy-going style -- without forcing things.  He just let the outrageousness unfold.  That's an intelligence I prefer to have visit.  If he could funnel that much untold energy into a cohesive whole, I have to assume -- outwardly, his influence is equally vast.  Influencing people and comedy, without them overtly realizing it.  Perhaps immeasurably so.  An assertion that I'm sure he would laugh at.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 08:00:24 AM by Bean Bag » Logged

Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2014, 08:09:13 AM »

And lest we forget the BBs connection with Ghostbusters - the actor who plays Murry Wilson in American Family is interviewed by Venkman on his TV show in Ghostbusters 2. Nerdy fact...

They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good, I wish they could...
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2014, 07:24:55 PM »

And lest we forget the BBs connection with Ghostbusters - the actor who plays Murry Wilson in American Family is interviewed by Venkman on his TV show in Ghostbusters 2. Nerdy fact...

Kevin Dunn...    

The guy who played Milt Love in AF, Kurt Fuller, was also in GB2 as the assistant mayor. Those two actors have also been in several recent Woody Allen movies together.

EDIT: Scratch that. Each actor has had a supporting role in a recent Woody Allen movie (Dunn in Vicky Cristina Barcelona, Fuller in Midnight in Paris), but they didn't work together in in either. I think I'm combining movies together in my head.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 07:33:10 PM by Alex » Logged

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: