gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:51:35 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What would you change about the 2012 Remasters program?  (Read 4611 times)
slippingonthrough
Smiley Smile Associate

Male eagle walking down the street....

View Profile
« on: February 22, 2014, 07:23:30 PM »

As you probably know new remasters of (i think) 12 albums came out in 2012. However it missed a lot of albums  and wasn't really designed good. I had some ideas on how to improve it.

I would add the albums Surfin Safari, Concert, Wild Honey, Friends, 20/20, Live In London, Carl and the Passions, Holland, In Concert, 15 Big Ones and Love You. And then i'd have 1 or 2CD set called Past Vibrations collecting all the bonus tracks and singles that were left off the album remasters similar to the Beatles Past Masters.
For the liner notes I would just get the notes from the two-fers and split them for each album (and update some of the info).
I would have the packaging as a 6 panel digipak (instead of 4) and have the original back cover art work on the BACK (slightly modified to say the Mono/Stereo numbers). Gatefold artwork would be on the inside spread across 2 panels and there would pictures from that era on the other panels.

Yes, I am just thinking of The beatles reissues from 2009 but they got it right with those remasters.

What would you change?
What albums would you add to remasters?
What would you change about the liner notes? Who would write them?
Would you change anything about the packaging?

bluesno1fann
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 07:54:45 PM »

I actually quite like the remasters. Got the Sunflower one, planning on getting the Surf's Up one next. Only problem is you can only get them at the JB in the city.

Of those you listed, I'd probably exclude the first Concert album and 15 Big Ones (seriously? Why that of all albums?) and replace them with L.A. Light Album and the self-titled 85' album
slippingonthrough
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 08:06:01 PM »

I actually quite like the remasters. Got the Sunflower one, planning on getting the Surf's Up one next. Only problem is you can only get them at the JB in the city.

Of those you listed, I'd probably exclude the first Concert album and 15 Big Ones (seriously? Why that of all albums?) and replace them with L.A. Light Album and the self-titled 85' album

I included 15 Big Ones so there wouldn't be a gap between In Concert and Love You.
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 11:18:51 AM »

What albums would I add?
All of them.  Why would you only remaster some of them?  Wouldn't you think that having a remasters campaign would mean that someone buying these albums for the first time may want to get more albums?  Example - A guy buys Today, Summer Days, Party, Pet Sounds, Smiley Smile and is on a roll.  Now he wants Wild Honey, Friends, 20/20.  Ooops, sorry can't help you there.  Or a die-hard fan who wants every album reissue?

Liner notes - I don't really care who writes them as long as they are good.  But at this point what can they write that we don't already know?

Packaging - Don't care about packaging.  A CD will never be the same as a vinyl album cover to me.

What I do wish they would have done was not only all of the albums, but a companion set with all the bonus tracks from the 2-fers remastered and tracks from the GV box that were passed over on MIC.

Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 12:14:12 PM »

I think they should have kept the two-fer format. Frankly the albums aren't good enough (besides Pet Sounds) to really merit sitting alone.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 12:57:28 PM »

I think they should have kept the two-fer format. Frankly the albums aren't good enough (besides Pet Sounds) to really merit sitting alone.

I disagree.

But even if most of their albums did suck, why should nearly every other group, most of whom can't come within 100,000,000 miles of The Beach Boys, be able to have their discography out there the right way, while The Beach Boys don't?
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 01:38:56 PM »

I'd have put bonus tracks on them and had the albums mastered by someone like Doug Sax who would use real tube equipment and not overemphasise the high end.

A discipline daddy.
SenorPotatoHead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 03:24:07 PM »

reissue them each sort of like the Smile box, have a exact replica vinyl album, a reissue of whatever 45's were current to that album, album sized booklet along with the CD - bonus tracks could be on CD and additional vinyl.   maybe too expensive, too specialized.
BJL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 05:24:16 PM »

I thought, for a career as long and varied as the Beach Boys, the two-fer reissues were pretty amazing. I mean, for once the record companies were giving people more bang for their buck, and with detailed liner notes and bonus tracks, it was clear that they were well thought out releases. And they amde the catalogue a little more digestible. Released individually the albums are slight, especially early on, if only because they're often only 25 or 30 minutes long. I think that all the albums between Today and Holland deserve individual releases with lots of bonus tracks, reflecting the richness of the material, but for earlier and later albums the two-fers were perfect.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 06:50:45 PM »

I disagree.

But even if most of their albums did suck, why should nearly every other group, most of whom can't come within 100,000,000 miles of The Beach Boys, be able to have their discography out there the right way, while The Beach Boys don't?

I personally would feel ripped off if I was a new Beach Boys fan and spent $15-20 on Smiley Smile. It just fares a lot better paired with Wild Honey.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 06:51:44 PM by Gabo » Logged
bluesno1fann
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 08:12:45 PM »

I think at least the following BB's albums have enough merit to stand alone:

Surfer Girl
The Beach Boys Today!
Pet Sounds
The Smile Sessions
Wild Honey
Friends
20/20
Sunflower
Surf's Up
Holland
Love You

And possibly these, but I can understand if not:
Shut Down Vol. II
Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!!)
Smiley Smile
Carl And The Passions (So Tough!)
L.A. Light Album
The Beach Boys (1985)

So no Gabo, it's not just Pet Sounds. And I'm sure most of us would disagree with you
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2014, 08:21:40 PM »

I can understand both view points on this.

I think all their albums from 65 to 71 are top-notch and deserve to be released on their own.

However, their albums can be very light and short, perhaps leading some to think it isn't worth the money.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2014, 10:41:07 PM »

reissue them each sort of like the Smile box, have a exact replica vinyl album, a reissue of whatever 45's were current to that album, album sized booklet along with the CD - bonus tracks could be on CD and additional vinyl.   maybe too expensive, too specialized.

Think of the shelf space required! I'd need to build an extension!

“We live in divisive times.”
slippingonthrough
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2014, 12:53:57 AM »

The vinyl/cd box sounds like a cool idea but it would probably end up being like Paul McCartney's reissues. Too expensive and too much extra stuff (who needs 4 books in Wings Over America!).

Still, I would have

CDs
Disc 1 Original Mono/Stereo Album
Disc 2 Unreleased Tracks, Alternative versions, Two-fer bonus tracks
         Instrumental Tracks
Disc 3 Stack-O-Vocals
         Live Versions

DVD
with a 30 minute documentary, music videos, live performances, etc.

Vinyl
Side A & B Original Album

Book
64 Page book with lyrics, liner notes, pictures, etc.

Poster
of the original album cover (Create a hallway of Beach Boys album covers)

and a 1" Button because Capitol can.

I wonder how many people would buy the Summer In Paradise (Summer Of Love on DVD!).

bluesno1fann
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2014, 01:01:25 AM »

The vinyl/cd box sounds like a cool idea but it would probably end up being like Paul McCartney's reissues. Too expensive and too much extra stuff (who needs 4 books in Wings Over America!).

Still, I would have

CDs
Disc 1 Original Mono/Stereo Album
Disc 2 Unreleased Tracks, Alternative versions, Two-fer bonus tracks
         Instrumental Tracks
Disc 3 Stack-O-Vocals
         Live Versions

DVD
with a 30 minute documentary, music videos, live performances, etc.

Vinyl
Side A & B Original Album

Book
64 Page book with lyrics, liner notes, pictures, etc.

Poster
of the original album cover (Create a hallway of Beach Boys album covers)

and a 1" Button because Capitol can.

I wonder how many people would buy the Summer In Paradise (Summer Of Love on DVD!).

Honestly, I can only see that happening for Pet Sounds, The SMiLE Sessions, Sunflower, Holland and maybe Love You.

Realistically, there is simply not enough demand for all this plus the other batch of remasters. Unfortunately, the general public wouldn't care if it happens or not
slippingonthrough
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2014, 01:12:04 AM »

At least a box set that has 1CD and the Button!!!!!!
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2014, 01:22:35 AM »

I disagree.

I personally would feel ripped off if I was a new Beach Boys fan and spent $15-20 on Smiley Smile. It just fares a lot better paired with Wild Honey.

When I was buying the back catalogue each twofer was £5.99 sterling IIRC. And as I do love all their pre-1973 albums individually, this was like four times better value than buying a single full price new album.
I guess I was spoiled. Since then, all other CD releases (except similar 2-for-1 deals) have seemed like collossal rip-offs by comparison. In particular, I refused to buy a Beatles album for years because they wouldn't sell them below full price for so long.

(An aside: before my band had released an album, but when we already had enough material for two, I drew a mock-up of our first two projected albums in the capitol two-fer format, as at the time it seemed to me the perfect format. Though it helps if the band playing on the record is the Beach Boys.)

Please delete my account
jeffcdo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2014, 02:44:45 AM »

I was really hoping for Hi-Res downloads.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2014, 03:13:59 AM »

My own preferred format:

Standard version
CD1: original album stereo/mono
CD2: outtakes, demos
CD3a (and 3b if necessary): contemporaneous complete live show from that era

Deluxe:
CD3a (& 3b, 3c 3d, etc): several contemporaneous complete live shows from that era
CD4 & 5 (or however many are necessary): session highlights
LP: remastered audiophile of original LP sides, with bonus track(s) where feasible
Book: in a readable format – ie, not something so over-sized that it's impractical to read on the bus, in bed or on the bog – recounting the sessions, the lyrics, reproducing contemporaneous magazine/music paper interviews and features, Craig's session details, and the narrative tale of what the band was at at that time in their history: essentially each would be a stand-alone chapter recounting that era of the band. From a marketing point of view, to get the complete story you'd have to buy each box.
Other: repro in-store display piece for that album, with authentic bag of crisps/chips

This plan will change in about five minutes, but I'd be wetting myself with anticipation over this for the next four minutes.

“We live in divisive times.”
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2014, 06:02:24 AM »

They should've just released a complete studio albums box set (albums in both mono and stereo mixes, where possible; up to their self-titled 1985 album since that seems to be their official discographical cut-off point) plus some discs of bonus material (tracks orphaned from the GV box set and twofers that haven't yet reappeared) and be done with it. No fuss, no hassle. Then HDTracks could release that in a high-resolution audio format.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 06:04:07 AM by Myk Luhv » Logged
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2014, 02:10:51 PM »

There are a number of tracks, as we know, specific to each album between 1970 and 1992, that have yet to see the light of day.  It seems to me that great individual albums with unreleased bonus tracks would be wonderful.
HOLLAND - with Carry Me Home, Hard Times, etc.
15 BIG ONES - with Shake, Rattle & Roll, Michael Row the Boat Ashore, Running Bear, etc.
L.A. - with the 1979 mix of Can't Wait Too Long, Calendar Girl, etc
KTSA - with Surfer Susie, I'll Always Love You, etc.
BEACH BOYS 85 - with At The Hop

For live shows... I'd love to see the band do a Grateful Dead-styl Dick's Picks... releasing multiple shows from multiple eras.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2014, 02:26:22 PM »

They should've just released a complete studio albums box set (albums in both mono and stereo mixes, where possible; up to their self-titled 1985 album since that seems to be their official discographical cut-off point) plus some discs of bonus material (tracks orphaned from the GV box set and twofers that haven't yet reappeared) and be done with it. No fuss, no hassle. Then HDTracks could release that in a high-resolution audio format.

This.

A proper box set with the complete discography. Only I wouldn't stop with the 85 album. I'd still add Still Cruisin', SIP US and UK versions, possibly Stars and Stripes Vol. 1(but I still doubt if it's an legit BB's album, even if they are involved in it and sing backing vocals), The SMiLE Sessions and TWGMTR.

Plus all of their released live albums from Beach Boys Concert to Songs From Here And Back, and 2-3 discs of studio out-takes and non-album Singles, many of them previously unreleased or are bonus Two-fer tracks, GV Box Set tracks, and MIC tracks.

That's the bare minimum for me, what I listed above. They could possibly go all-out and add two discs of live performances, most released but hard to find, some from MIC, and some previously unreleased. And possibly they can add Adult/Child, Lei'd In Hawaii, and the other unreleased albums.

But the chances of all that happening is next-to impossible. But we can still imagine. All of that in a neatly designed box set that is neither corny or has a stereotypical surf theme.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2014, 02:59:27 PM »

I'd leave it to the canonical albums, which The Beach Boys as an organisation seem to believe is everything from 1962-1985. Although I don't ever listen to anything past Love You, I can deal with having those other four albums for the sake of completion -- and maybe I'd even end up listening to them and enjoy them to some degree! I don't care about The Beach Boys as a live band so that doesn't interest me, anyway. I'm looking at it from the perspective of not only what I would be satisfied to receive but also what would provide some proper critical reassessment of this group and possibly even sell too! I don't honestly think including a bunch of half-baked live recordings from 1965, Still Cruisin', or "The Battle Hymn Of The Republic" would do that. However, I do agree with you about unreleased albums, as bizarre and half-baked as many of them are... I think those would provide interesting avenues for reappraisal and previously unappreciated wrinkles in the musical adventure that is this f***ed-up, messy, corny band.

They should just call it Group Therapy: The Complete Studio Albums 1962-1985 and have it be a psychoanalyst's chair or something, I don't know. I say these things but then I think it would be totally awesome if "Drip Drop" or "Rollin' Up To Heaven" showed up on a set like this. Maybe this is why I'm not employed by The Beach Boys to manage their discography.
slippingonthrough
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2014, 08:53:32 PM »

To be realistic i would have 2 Packages.

1CD Standard Edition Package
-Original Mono/Stereo Album
-12 Page Liner Notes
-Jewel Case

3CD Deluxe Edition Package
-CDs
Disc 1: Original Mono/Stereo Album
Disc 2: Alternate Versions, Bonus Tracks
          Instrumental Tracks
Disc 3: Stack-o Vocals
          Live Performances of the album tracks
-36 Page Booklet
-8 Panel Digipak
-Mini Poster
slippingonthrough
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2014, 08:57:15 PM »

My own preferred format:

Standard version
CD3a (and 3b if necessary): contemporaneous complete live show from that era

Deluxe:
CD3a (& 3b, 3c 3d, etc): several contemporaneous complete live shows from that era
CD4 & 5 (or however many are necessary): session highlights
LP: remastered audiophile of original LP sides, with bonus track(s) where feasible
Book: in a readable format – ie, not something so over-sized that it's impractical to read on the bus, in bed or on the bog – recounting the sessions, the lyrics, reproducing contemporaneous magazine/music paper interviews and features, Craig's session details, and the narrative tale of what the band was at at that time in their history: essentially each would be a stand-alone chapter recounting that era of the band. From a marketing point of view, to get the complete story you'd have to buy each box.
Other: repro in-store display piece for that album, with authentic bag of crisps/chips

This plan will change in about five minutes, but I'd be wetting myself with anticipation over this for the next four minutes.

You would only get 2 live shows (1960s) or 1 show (1970s onwards) on 1 Disc. It's only 80 Minutes!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx