gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680823 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 02:46:19 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What would you change about the 2012 Remasters program?  (Read 4634 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2014, 11:12:49 PM »

My own preferred format:

Standard version
CD1: original album stereo/mono
CD2: outtakes, demos
CD3a (and 3b if necessary): contemporaneous complete live show from that era

Deluxe:
CD1: original album stereo/mono
CD2: outtakes, demos
CD3a (& 3b, 3c 3d, etc): several contemporaneous complete live shows from that era
CD4 & 5 (or however many are necessary): session highlights
LP: remastered audiophile of original LP sides, with bonus track(s) where feasible
Book: in a readable format – ie, not something so over-sized that it's impractical to read on the bus, in bed or on the bog – recounting the sessions, the lyrics, reproducing contemporaneous magazine/music paper interviews and features, Craig's session details, and the narrative tale of what the band was at at that time in their history: essentially each would be a stand-alone chapter recounting that era of the band. From a marketing point of view, to get the complete story you'd have to buy each box.
Other: repro in-store display piece for that album, with authentic bag of crisps/chips

This plan will change in about five minutes, but I'd be wetting myself with anticipation over this for the next four minutes.

You would only get 2 live shows (1960s) or 1 show (1970s onwards) on 1 Disc. It's only 80 Minutes!

Aye, in fact as a recent boot demonstrated, two or three early shows would fit on one Cd but some early/mid-70s shows would need two CDs easy. Hopefully in many instances they'd pick UK performances as they tend to be longer and go deeper into the catalogue. Length though isn't the issue, it's the context they offer to the studio album they accompany/support.

“We live in divisive times.”
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2014, 07:19:55 AM »

I would look to the Beatles as to how to do it, as they recently did with the US albums.  A box set with all the albums in original packaging (shrunk of course) in mono and stereo, with all albums also available separately.  Then add to the box set single mixes and all the stray bonus 2 fer tracks and GV box tracks (like "rare masters") plus any uncollected tracks released under the Beach Boys name.  I'd go up to beach Boys 85.  Also only in the  box I'd include the unreleased album adult child and smile (mono and stereo) and the MU Xmas album.  As this would be a huge box they might have to split it up into two physical boxes.  New liner notes focussing on more musical technical issues - how and where it was recorded, musicians, dates of recording and release, chart positions, the tapes used and how the stereo versions of previous mono only releases were done.

Most importantly I'd remaster them so as not to overemphasize the treble (remasters are too bright) and not use any compression.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2014, 08:59:08 AM »

… As this would be a huge box they might have to split it up into two physical boxes …

And run the danger of there being no Vol 2, like with the Singles Box?

“We live in divisive times.”
clinikillz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2014, 11:43:14 AM »

I would definitely include a stereo version of Wild Honey. That album would benefit from a stereo remix. The songs are great but the sound quality really brings them down, in my opinion.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx