gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 10:26:40 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Amusement Parks U.S.A - thumbs up or thumbs down?
Thumbs Up - 54 (66.7%)
Neutral Thumbs - 16 (19.8%)
Thumbs Down - 11 (13.6%)
Total Voters: 75

Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Amusement Parks U.S.A - thumbs up or thumbs down?  (Read 6777 times)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2014, 04:52:17 AM »

Up.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2014, 10:33:41 AM »

I like it,too me it sounds like Brian is trying to sound like Jan and Dean, that's not a bad thing since I like Jan and Dean.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2014, 11:00:36 AM »

I love love love love LOVE the music you get at carnivals and funfairs. Those organ sounds - bliss! Amusement Parks USA accurately reflects that and I'll never forget how blow away I was the first time I heard it. Great song!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2014, 11:17:59 AM »

It has grown on me throughout the years. I LOVE the instrumental from SOT, and the MiC version is perfect (without the laughing sound effects).

Thumbs up from me.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2014, 11:42:26 AM »

Neutral. I love the backing track but the words are a massive turn off. The themes in the song had been explored much better in earlier songs.

Exactly. I don't even like Amusement Parks that much, and I don't hail from the U.S.A. - This song was never gonna work on me!

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2014, 10:16:03 PM »

I like the music, but the lyrics just sound so forced... because... they are.  It's like somebody said, "HEY! Write a song about a squirrel!" so somebody writes a song about a squirrel. 

I love amusement parks, though.  Palisades Park is awesome.  Amusement Parks U.S.A. just doesn't hit the mark for me. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2014, 10:17:52 PM »

married to a subpar vocal melody to boot.

Yeah... I think that's it.  I know a lot of people are saying they like the chorus, but to me the melody isn't right.  it's kind of shouty, too.  Just doesn't flow right.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2014, 11:28:41 PM »

Neutral. I love the backing track but the words are a massive turn off. The themes in the song had been explored much better in earlier songs.

Exactly. I don't even like Amusement Parks that much, and I don't hail from the U.S.A. - This song was never gonna work on me!

Why does not hailing from the USA affect your enjoyment of Amusement Parks USA? I'm from Yorkshire in England and I bloody love it! I don't not like it because it isn't called Amusement Parks Yorkshire. Do you not like Surfin' USA either? "Urgh, they're singing about places I've never been - what a turn off!"
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2014, 11:40:52 PM »

Yeah... I think that's it.  I know a lot of people are saying they like the chorus, but to me the melody isn't right.  it's kind of shouty, too.  Just doesn't flow right.

Well, perhaps that was the intention as they'd want their voices to be heard over the noise at amusement parks Grin
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 11:49:11 PM by metal flake paint » Logged

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2014, 01:59:50 AM »

If this wasn't a Beach Boys forum I think it would get almost all "thumbs downs"
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2014, 06:44:46 AM »

haha it's not a super piece but it sure fits on SD&SN!
chrs_mrgn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2014, 08:56:05 AM »

This track grew on me so much, I used to hate it. I don't even necessarily like it all too much but compared to a lot of the other early tracks this one is thumbs up.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2014, 09:58:23 PM »

Yeah... I think that's it.  I know a lot of people are saying they like the chorus, but to me the melody isn't right.  it's kind of shouty, too.  Just doesn't flow right.

Well, perhaps that was the intention as they'd want their voices to be heard over the noise at amusement parks Grin

Ha, yeah... that might be it.  I like "The Girl From New York City" and they're shoutin' all over that... but when you start the song with the "LETS TAKE YOUR CAR!!!!" it's just jarring and doesn't flow good.  What the HELL do I know though, i'm sure he had his reasons for making it sound like that. 
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2014, 11:51:36 PM »

If this wasn't a Beach Boys forum I think it would get almost all "thumbs downs"

On the contrary, if I stumbled across this track on youtube and it was by a different band, I'd immediately want to seek out the rest of their catalogue. I genuinely think it's a fantastic (and fantastic sounding) song and I'd no inclination at all that other BB fans felt differently until I joined this board.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2014, 12:02:11 AM »

On the contrary, if I stumbled across this track on youtube and it was by a different band, I'd immediately want to seek out the rest of their catalogue. I genuinely think it's a fantastic (and fantastic sounding) song and I'd no inclination at all that other BB fans felt differently until I joined this board.

Amusement Parks USA is an atrocity.  Like someone said on the Summer Days review page, it's not only a bad song but "an assault on the senses." It's shocking that it was released the same year (and on the same album) as well produced and written songs like Let Him Run Wild and Help Me Rhonda.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 12:13:21 AM by Gabo » Logged
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2014, 07:07:47 AM »

If Mike Love had written the lyrics for SMiLE, we might get songs like this along with Good Vibrations of course. But that would have been fine by me. Although, I love Van Dyke's lyrics as well, I do sympathize with Mike in that he was a Beach Boy after all. They had enough talent to keep song writing in band.  Mike showed on Today, he could do what Tony Asher did. On GV, he could be poetic, yet more commercial than Parks. But don't get me wrong, I love the acid alliteration! But I also think lyrics for Amusement Parks and Custom Machine are highly underrated IMO.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2014, 11:03:32 AM »

It's a good one. Smiley

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2014, 11:30:18 AM »

Amusement Parks USA is an atrocity.  Like someone said on the Summer Days review page, it's not only a bad song but "an assault on the senses." It's shocking that it was released the same year (and on the same album) as well produced and written songs like Let Him Run Wild and Help Me Rhonda.

An atrocity? I've no idea what you're talking about. To my ears, it sounds fantastic - largely because it is.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2014, 08:56:50 PM »

I like it cuz it's crazy.

It's quite psychedelic without being overtly psychedelic, because we all understand there's "manic" fun for kids -- going all crazy on the rides -- at an Amusement Park.  But, it's a clever aspect to focus on - the manic thing, I mean.  And they nail it.  Brilliantly using this as an obvious introduction into the hall o' mirrors world of psychedelic music that was to come, without anybody taking too much notice.

This song along with Back of Mind from Today, are the first real indications (I think) where Brian Wilson was going some place new, yet again.  Yes complex, but also dark and churning and very aware and all encompassing with regards to the human psyche.

Am I over analyzing this song?  Exactly... but it's still very much the case.

Watch a Cave
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2014, 04:00:51 AM »

I really like the crazed frenetic energy of this song.  A bit psychodelic too..  great fun to my ears.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2014, 04:55:04 AM »

Why does not hailing from the USA affect your enjoyment of Amusement Parks USA? I'm from Yorkshire in England and I bloody love it! I don't not like it because it isn't called Amusement Parks Yorkshire. Do you not like Surfin' USA either? "Urgh, they're singing about places I've never been - what a turn off!"

I know ,I was just trying to justify my point.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2014, 04:39:45 PM »

I love it, great melody and arrangement and I'm from Scotland.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2014, 03:20:14 AM »

They liked it in Japan too, where it was released in November '65 as a 45 b/w "The Rocking Surfer" and according to BJL (in the first link) reached #3:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php?action=printpage;topic=10091.0

http://yokono.co.uk/collection/beachboys/single/single2.html

My apologies if this is all old news...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx