gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:41:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why the Mike/Bruce Combo?  (Read 34512 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2014, 09:48:11 AM »

What is going on? LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2014, 10:46:35 AM »

You guys need to learn how to use quotes.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2014, 01:38:32 PM »

What's funny is I previewed it and still muffed it.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2014, 01:53:11 PM »

LOL!!
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2014, 04:44:07 PM »

Little doubt why Bruce doesn't post here with comments like, he has "a girl in every town."
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2014, 06:07:04 PM »

Little doubt why Bruce doesn't post here with comments like, he has "a girl in every town."

Would " a secret friend" be better for you?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2014, 01:34:52 AM »

You need four members for a combo.

Please delete my account
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2014, 08:17:22 AM »

Two for a duo and three for a trio and 5 for a quintet.

I think Mike and Bruce stay together because you need at least two "orignial" beachboys to be somewhat legitimate and who else would be the 2nd Beach Boy if not Bruce?  Al? Brian?  David?  Don't think so.  It would have to be Bruce.
sandmountainslim
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2014, 03:40:45 PM »

I don't really get the stink over the C50 "breakup" to be honest.  The tour ended and Mike/Bruce went back to their band and Brian, Al, David went on their thing.   
Who expected it to be permanent??   It was just a fifty year celebration but the press got Mike's statement and blew it out of proportion and someone got Brian all stirred up like a hornet in a golf bag and BAM!  Big Stink. 
At least that is how I see it.    I ALWAYS expected when the tour ended it would go back to how it was before.   
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2014, 10:15:01 PM »

I think Mike and Bruce's egos just get along pretty well.  Bruce seems like a pretty mellow guy, and whereas most sane people get pretty offended by some of the things Mike says and does, Bruce seems to have the personality that it's easy for him to just let it roll off his back. 

As ridiculous as it sounds, too... Mike (and Bruce) kind of live a 'party' lifestyle even as senior citizens.  They're about as Rock Star as you can get at their age... I think Bruce has always been and always will be a sort of playboy, even if he's not out going crazy he likes touring, a different town every night, meeting new people, women from 20 to 80 fawning all over them every time they do a show, reporters wanting an interview for the local paper, the show getting recorded every once in awhile, a television gig every once in awhile, the rush of the live crowd, different venues, different managers, different paychecks everywhere.  It's all pretty exciting and seems to have kept both Mike and Bruce young for their age. 

Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2014, 10:19:50 PM »

I just checked yesterday, and Mike will be turning 73 next month! He sure doesn't seem that old Razz

LdC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2014, 01:16:09 AM »

Bruce does seem pretty  cool.

Just on if there is a problem between Al & Bruce, I got a signature from Bruce dedicated as " Al's friend Bruce."!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2014, 06:25:18 AM »

I don't really get the stink over the C50 "breakup" to be honest.  The tour ended and Mike/Bruce went back to their band and Brian, Al, David went on their thing.  
Who expected it to be permanent??   It was just a fifty year celebration but the press got Mike's statement and blew it out of proportion and someone got Brian all stirred up like a hornet in a golf bag and BAM!  Big Stink.  
At least that is how I see it.    I ALWAYS expected when the tour ended it would go back to how it was before.    

Not to be overly sarcastic, but DUH, of course it would go back to the way it was WHEN the tour ENDED. Outside of the unrealistic if not entirely crazy idea of retiring the name at some point, of course it would go back to the status quo. Nobody has ever really offered up another possible scenario.

The issue was/is why they had to end it, why they couldn’t at least extend it for a few years or, yeah, maybe even get their s**t together and get over it and keep it together for however many years they had left in them. As Howie Edelson has alluded to, if they had their s**t together organizationally and interpersonally, they could have easily swung back around in 2013 and did some repeat legs around the world, and then in 2014 been settling into a nice cushy Vegas run together for huge bucks, with a new album thrown in there somewhere. And yes, I’d rather the full lineup be playing a residency in Vegas than Mike and Bruce touring on their own and hitting the “smaller markets.”

This “why are people surprised?” BS was already asserted back in 2012 during all the heated C50 discussions. I don’t think anybody who knew even just a decent amount of BB history and trajectory were “surprised” by what happened. But the “you knew this would probably happen” crap ignored how amazing the reunion was, and also ignored how relatively easily they could have kept it going awhile longer, and also either purposely or indirectly attempted to absolve those whose BS dictated that the reunion had to end. It also ignored the difference between the 2013 Mike/Bruce “Beach Boys” and the 2011 or 2006 or 2000 Mike/Bruce “Beach Boys.” In past years, they didn’t have Brian, Al, and Dave all waiting in the wings WANTING to keep the full band together. Apart from a point in the mid-later 2000’s where it seemed like maybe Al kind of wanted to be back in the touring band (he never specifically said, “Sure, I’ll join Mike and Bruce if they ask”), there was never an interest from all three non-Mike/Bruce members to have the band reunited. In 2012, that had changed. Legally that meant nothing, but from the point of view of fans trying to accept or reconcile Mike’s continued use of the “brand name”, it changed the perception of Mike’s touring operation.

The “you can’t celebrate the 50th anniversary in year 51” crap was also bandied about back then, and that’s a complete non-starter as far as I’m concerned. They could have kept touring, with or without a “Beach Boys 50” logo stamped on everything.

I’m sorry, but “Beach Boys Opt to Extend Amazing Reunion Show which Continues to Garner Rave Reviews” is immensely more helpful and exciting to everybody involved than “Mike Love Returning to two-man Beach Boys lineup without Brian, Al, and David; look for this scaled back tour at your local street fair this summer.” That doesn't even get into the admittedly hyperbolic and inaccurate “Mike Love fires Brian Wilson” that ensued, which was even worse for all involved, and which was completely the fault primarily of Mike’s wording and timing (and of course underlying decision), and to a somewhat lesser extent, the ineptitude of the entire group (at least the corporate members) to have their s**t together enough to at least wring some decent PR out of their inability to agree on staying together.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 06:35:43 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2014, 10:09:44 AM »

The Mike & Bruce show is in Tahoe this weekend, a couple hours drive away. After the C50, I'll never go see this band again - it'll ruin my memories of the original line-up on stage a couple of years ago.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2014, 10:14:37 AM »

By the time of the press release the end had already come from too many broken promises and too many conflicting intentions and too many one way compromises.

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2014, 10:24:43 AM »

By the time of the press release the end had already come from too many broken promises and too many conflicting intentions and too many one way compromises.

What were the promises Cam? Or the conflicting intentions? How about the one-way compromises?

Since you are gonna vaguely allude to these things, tell us what they are.

Unless of course you're just full of sh*t.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2014, 10:40:15 AM »

Or not, depending on who among the band and its associates you’re talking about, and depending on who you’re getting your information from.

In any event, did anyone say the decisions hadn’t been made or that the end hadn’t come by the time of that press release? Of course they had, that’s why the press release happened.

The entire band (again, specifically the corporate members) and their associated entourages handled the whole thing poorly, and those who can’t even bring themselves to assign equal blame to Mike Love in addition to Brian and Al and their “camps” for the group not having their s**t together are those who are going to defend Love regardless. I wish the immensely predictable blind defense would at least come in the form of something more interesting or substantive, rather than vague allusions to “broken promises” and whatnot.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2014, 10:45:41 AM »

too many one way compromises.

Exactly… Brian, Al and Dave wanted to keep the full band together, and continue an amazing tour and record another potentially very good album. Mike wouldn’t compromise with their *crazy* idea of keeping the full band together, and moved on. I guess I should at least offer some thanks to Brian, Al, and Dave for trying and being willing.

KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2014, 11:08:16 AM »

Here we go again. Why do people stay so angry and go on for paragraphs about this subject? It's old news. You aren't going to convince Mike Love and Brian Wilson to reunite, and it doesn't matter which side is morally superior. It's not going to change anything. You aren't going to convince anyone who sides with one or the other that their position is wrong. If you don't like the Mike/Bruce combo, don't go see them. End of story. I still do not for the life of me understand why people who don't like Mike in general want to see him playing with Brian when you can see Brian without Mike. You don't like Mike? Be happy he's gone and you can enjoy Al Jardine and Brian without his stage patter and hearing his songs.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2014, 11:26:29 AM »

I think a lot of the bitterness comes from the fact that Mike gets to keep the Beach Boys name.  If the 2012 Beach Boys decided to do another tour except Mike decided to leave the group and tour solo with all the other guys continuing as the Beach Boys, people wouldn't be nearly as upset.

Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2014, 11:35:35 AM »

Those who bitch about "one way compromises" should answer this. What was Mike's track record that makes him deserving of more "say" in 2012? If Mike had his way completely, the shows would not have been nearly as good as they were and they would not have been as well received. For a brief moment in time, they were back in music's  A list. As great as Mike's band is, if it had been Brian, Al and David joining the Mike and Bruce band, it would have been good, but not GREAT.  It would have been a nice night out at a fine restaurant chain. But including Brian's band made it a 5 star gourmet establishment where every principal shined. Bottom line, if you act like WalMart, people with taste will treat you like WalMart.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2014, 11:51:38 AM »

Here we go again. Why do people stay so angry and go on for paragraphs about this subject? It's old news. You aren't going to convince Mike Love and Brian Wilson to reunite, and it doesn't matter which side is morally superior. It's not going to change anything. You aren't going to convince anyone who sides with one or the other that their position is wrong. If you don't like the Mike/Bruce combo, don't go see them. End of story. I still do not for the life of me understand why people who don't like Mike in general want to see him playing with Brian when you can see Brian without Mike. You don't like Mike? Be happy he's gone and you can enjoy Al Jardine and Brian without his stage patter and hearing his songs.
Why do people rehash "Smile" not being finished and released in 1967 unendingly? Did it change things? Maybe it did because we got the SSs boxset. Now we had Al and David appearing with Mike last week.
You can bet there will be songs on Brian's new album that will be sorely missing Mike's vocals.
Bottom line, people expressing their opinion on all things BB is what the the board is all about.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2014, 02:36:43 PM »

Bottom line, people expressing their opinion on all things BB is what the the board is all about.

Oh Cmon. You really thing that's what this board is all about?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2014, 02:38:36 PM »

The Beach Boys are not the Eagles or Bon Jovi or Springsteen where they have a demand level that would see then filling 15-20K basketball arenas year after year. I would agree that Mike and Brian perhaps should have found a way to keep the tour going for a few more markets and a few more dates. But I truly don't believe the tour could have gone on forever with a band that huge without losing money at some point, not with the medium sized halls they were playing. I think at some point even Brian would have not wanted to lose money.  
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2014, 02:48:37 PM »

What were the promises Cam? Or the conflicting intentions? How about the one-way compromises?

Since you are gonna vaguely allude to these things, tell us what they are.

Unless of course you're just full of sh*t.

Look back at past arguments I'm sure you'll find them.

Yeah, I'm full of sh*t.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx