gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 08:25:11 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why the Mike/Bruce Combo?  (Read 34517 times)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2014, 02:49:37 PM »

The Beach Boys are not the Eagles or Bon Jovi or Springsteen where they have a demand level that would see then filling 15-20K basketball arenas year after year. I would agree that Mike and Brian perhaps should have found a way to keep the tour going for a few more markets and a few more dates. But I truly don't believe the tour could have gone on forever with a band that huge without losing money at some point, not with the medium sized halls they were playing. I think at some point even Brian would have not wanted to lose money.  

Ahh, I see. You're thinking that Brian wanted to do this tour simply to make Mike lose Money. That's an interesting strategy. what do you suppose he'd have to gain with that?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2014, 02:50:01 PM »

too many one way compromises.

Exactly… Brian, Al and Dave wanted to keep the full band together, and continue an amazing tour and record another potentially very good album. Mike wouldn’t compromise with their *crazy* idea of keeping the full band together, and moved on. I guess I should at least offer some thanks to Brian, Al, and Dave for trying and being willing.

Yeah, that's it. They had to stick to their agreement and that was their compromise.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2014, 03:00:18 PM »

Bottom line, people expressing their opinion on all things BB is what the the board is all about.

Oh Cmon. You really thing that's what this board is all about?
No, but I "think" it.  Grin

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2014, 03:22:34 PM »

Here we go again. Why do people stay so angry and go on for paragraphs about this subject? It's old news. You aren't going to convince Mike Love and Brian Wilson to reunite, and it doesn't matter which side is morally superior. It's not going to change anything. You aren't going to convince anyone who sides with one or the other that their position is wrong. If you don't like the Mike/Bruce combo, don't go see them. End of story. I still do not for the life of me understand why people who don't like Mike in general want to see him playing with Brian when you can see Brian without Mike. You don't like Mike? Be happy he's gone and you can enjoy Al Jardine and Brian without his stage patter and hearing his songs.

Exactly. It's old news but these same people just can't get over it, even yet!  I think this board is their therapy for airing their thoughts out on the subject of the C50 ending. Beats professional counseling, I guess. It's funny, it seems like they're searching for just one more angle of a mystery to completely resolve the issue in their heads. It's over now, it's over now....

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2014, 03:39:11 PM »

Because I just looove to beat a dead horse as much as the next guy, I’ll add my two cents into this discussion.

Without knowing all of the full facts of the dissolution of the end of C50, I nevertheless think it’s safe to presume that: if Mike would have been willing to go along with any and all compromises that Brian/Brian’s people asked of him, and if he could have checked his own ego/“needs”/wants at the door, that the reunion could most likely have continued on, and whatever semblance of respect that still existed for the current-day brand name could have been salvaged in a HUGE way.

Big picture stuff for the band, and for Mike, could have improved in a big, big way. Aren’t long-term benefits worth something?

IMO, the way stuff went down is, at its core, about Mike feeling he is owed a gigantic say/voice in the direction of the band (irregardless of Brian’s return to the BB helm)… and the fact the Mike found it necessary to reclaim the name for his own comparatively watered-down touring purposes, to me, smacks of Mike finally getting to make up for the loss of control he surely felt after being pushed aside for other collaborators in the 60s.  Mike made up his mind that this would never happen again. Somehow, through wrangling, circumstances, Carl’s passing, and the fact that corporate BRI ultimately does heed to the almighty dollar and through inaction allowed it to happen, Mike found a way to have the “control” he had always wanted by having become the unquestioned captain of the ship known as the touring Beach Boys post-1998… and losing control of that was just too much to bear, damn the consequences. I just can’t see how it can be argued that Mike has his priorities for himself and the brand name itself in the right place.

And hey, I can “get” the idea of bandmates wanting some sort of equal say/voice. Mike’s asserted a pretty huge degree of control over the brand name/direction for a looooong while now. But at this point, I think Mike just simply should have finally given in to the compromises that were asked of him. Period.

And the saddest part is: Mike (and his wife/family) are obviously very, very hurt by continuously seeing people viciously attack/badmouth him on facebook, youtube, etc, calling him a complete hack, etc. It really, really hurts them, and rightfully so. It’s tragic, but they really don’t seem (publicly at least) to ever have any self-awareness to realize why the “Mike = villain” thing just keeps cementing itself into history time and time again. (For the record, I don’t intend for this post to be a vicious attack itself, but a reasoned opinion on the matter, regarding a musician much of whose work I respect, but ultimately whose actions I find worthy of criticism). It’s as Mike has blinders on so completely as to be unable to realize that there are things that Mike could have done in 2012 that would have majorly, in a huge way, stopped the haters, and brought more love to the Lovester. In fact, these benefits would IMO brought even MORE MONEY for the long term to his and his families’ pockets (as if they really need more money at this time) because the brand name wouldn't dying a thousand-and-one deaths.

The benefits would have been HUGE, and IMO, the only way that would (and should) have been achieved, would’ve meant letting Brian be the king of the castle in Beach Boy land again, from C50-on. Letting Brian have a largely disproportionately unequal (in Brian’s favor) amount of say in how things go down with the Beach Boys name from here on out.  

And, considering the excruciatingly hard times that Brian has had in his life, is that REALLY such a big sacrifice for Mike to have made at this late stage in the game?  Mike/Bruce are beyond filthy rich… so if kowtowing to Brian meant less dates played throughout the year, then why couldn’t that have just simply been something they could suck up and deal with? If only just to make Brian’s life a little sweeter as an old man who was truly, deeply enjoying being a Beach Boy again? Is it just so impossible for Mike to have been able to find a way, in his heart, to deal with Brian’s sometimes flaky attitude about touring (even when Mike was being dangled carrots like M&B Sea World shows)?

Ultimately, the answers to these questions seem to me to have been proven by the actions that Mike took. Maybe some new information about other C50 implosion factors will come to light and “enlighten” me to feel differently someday. Obviously, old men like these guys don't like to change or compromise. But I really, really thought/wished/hoped/prayed that it would be different this time around.

For however many more years these guys are going to all be on this planet (and I hope it’s MANY)… when Mike finally retires, is he really gonna look back upon the extra post-C50 years of the Mike & Bruce show, and the vast amount of anti-Mike hatred that continues to snowball out of control (which he claims to not care about, but most of us must surely realize that is B.S.), and feel, truly in his heart, that it was worth flushing the public good will and good vibrations surrounding C50 down the toilet?  Many, many people were giving Mike a 2nd chance at the time of C50… and he blew it. But he’s made his bed, and now he has to lie in it.

If you guys think I’m nuts, feel free to tell me so. But these are more or less the facts (admittedly, without all of the insider info available to me) as I sees them.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 05:13:58 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2014, 03:48:01 PM »

Here we go again. Why do people stay so angry and go on for paragraphs about this subject? It's old news. You aren't going to convince Mike Love and Brian Wilson to reunite, and it doesn't matter which side is morally superior. It's not going to change anything. You aren't going to convince anyone who sides with one or the other that their position is wrong. If you don't like the Mike/Bruce combo, don't go see them. End of story. I still do not for the life of me understand why people who don't like Mike in general want to see him playing with Brian when you can see Brian without Mike. You don't like Mike? Be happy he's gone and you can enjoy Al Jardine and Brian without his stage patter and hearing his songs.

Exactly. It's old news but these same people just can't get over it, even yet!  I think this board is their therapy for airing their thoughts out on the subject of the C50 ending. Beats professional counseling, I guess. It's funny, it seems like they're searching for just one more angle of a mystery to completely resolve the issue in their heads. It's over now, it's over now....
Mikie, I think it's old news why Smile didn't come out; or what it would have been like. But I grin and bear it cause a lot of people have fun talking about it and I am all for having fun.

Post C50 status is that it seems Mike and Al/David (and probably Brian) seem all cool with things now and that's good enough for me.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 06:21:43 PM by OregonRiverRider » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2014, 03:56:28 PM »

Because I just looove to beat a dead horse as much as the next guy.

Or beating something else.  Who's the pivot man in this circle jerk?   Time to rejuvenate an old thread with new subject matter.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2014, 04:22:42 PM »

Because I just looove to beat a dead horse as much as the next guy.

Or beating something else.  Who's the pivot man in this circle jerk?   Time to rejuvenate an old thread with new subject matter.

25 minutes later we're all still waiting for you to start

KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2014, 04:40:52 PM »

The Beach Boys are not the Eagles or Bon Jovi or Springsteen where they have a demand level that would see then filling 15-20K basketball arenas year after year. I would agree that Mike and Brian perhaps should have found a way to keep the tour going for a few more markets and a few more dates. But I truly don't believe the tour could have gone on forever with a band that huge without losing money at some point, not with the medium sized halls they were playing. I think at some point even Brian would have not wanted to lose money.  

Ahh, I see. You're thinking that Brian wanted to do this tour simply to make Mike lose Money. That's an interesting strategy. what do you suppose he'd have to gain with that?

Er, no. I'm not sure how you arrived at that conclusion. My point is that BRIAN didn't want to lose money, which he has done on some of his own tours if tickets didn't sell enough. When he's sold well, it's probably not been immensely profitable. If Brian added Mike Love and Bruce Johnson and a couple of other players to his roster, and had to pay what they commanded, he would probably lose money, even if he called that band the Beach Boys. Likewise, if Mike added Al to his regular tour, it would cost him a large extra salary, let alone adding Dave Marks plus Brian's many-person band.  They would have to draw a lot more people on a regular basis to make it all pencil out. I just don't think they could ever draw that well to be playing the larger halls.

As to why they had the reunion tour to begin with, I think it was something they wanted to do for sentimental reasons.  I don't think it made anyone involved that much wealthier, either the tour or the album. The album made number 3, but nowadays, it doesn't mean it sold that many copies overall. 
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 04:44:19 PM by KittyKat » Logged
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2014, 04:43:56 PM »

The "beating of the dead horse" doesn't bother me. I love to beat the proverbial dead horse. Do it all the time. SMiLE, BWPS, Brian's "problems", Mike is an asshole, etc. Plenty of "beating the dead horse" topics. And, if I don't want to read about it or join in, I have these buttons on my keypad which I utilize. Works every time.

So, Mike Love done 'em wrong. Poor Brian, Al, and David. Mike kept them from continuing to tour to standing room only crowds. Mike kept them from playing these large, prestigious venues. Mike kept them from recording another Beach Boys' album. Mike kept them from being part of that "A" List of rock & roll bands. Mike went back to tarnishing the brand. Mike continues to piss on the legacy. Mike wants to go back to his women on the road. Mike put an end to the wives' city-to-city shopping sprees. Yep, old Mike really stuck it to 'em.

I really don't mind reading about it. I don't believe it, but I don't mind reading about it. I find it entertaining - and ironic. Because every conscious expression of frustration and disappointment of not having The Beach Boys continue is an unconscious expression of non-fulfillment and boredom with Brian and Al's solo careers, or what's left of them. It shows what's really important to not only the fans, but also Brian and Al. Most fans won't admit it, Brian and his wifeandmanagers certainly won't, but after all those "solo" albums and tours, wasn't 2012 a breath of fresh air - and what people really want(ed).

And, even though I don't mind reading the same comments over and over (many of them are mine!), I am frustrated - but not surprised - that the discussion never progresses to the next step, course of action, or lack of action. If Mike Love is responsible for so many bad, ruthless, selfish, and financially unsound (by forfeiting sold out concerts, large venues, and potential future record sales) "things", why is Brian, Al, and Carl's estate doing......nothing? NOTHING! That's a rhetorical question. I already know the answer.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2014, 04:58:54 PM »

And, even though I don't mind reading the same comments over and over (many of them are mine!), I am frustrated - but not surprised - that the discussion never progresses to the next step, course of action, or lack of action. If Mike Love is responsible for so many bad, ruthless, selfish, and financially unsound (by forfeiting sold out concerts, large venues, and potential future record sales) "things", why is Brian, Al, and Carl's estate doing......nothing? NOTHING! That's a rhetorical question. I already know the answer.

But as you said, you already know the answer:  $$ talks and Smiley Bullshit walks

KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2014, 05:12:52 PM »

I don't think Brian getting his way in order for C50 to continue would have meant that Brian was going to be "king of the castle," once again. Because he wouldn't be. More like making Joe Thomas king of the castle. I actually think Brian has more confidence in himself with Joe Thomas out of the picture, and produces work closer to his own spirit, or what's left of it, without Joe Thomas. I don't think Brian would have ever gone into the reunion without Joe, though. It's sort of a Catch 22. As for Brian deserving the reigns of the Beach Boys back as a reward for the hard times he's been through, then perhaps he and his wife should never have voted to give Mike the Beach Boys name rights exclusively, or at least made sure it was only for a certain number of years.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2014, 05:32:15 PM »

As for Brian deserving the reigns of the Beach Boys back as a reward for the hard times he's been through, then perhaps he and his wife should never have voted to give Mike the Beach Boys name rights exclusively, or at least made sure it was only for a certain number of years.

Although it obviously (as proven by events by the people involved) is unrealistic, it would be nice to think that something like this falling into place could come about naturally, without it being a legal requirement of sorts (ie. a set "end date" for the M&B BB brand license) for Mike to allow Brian to be back in the drivers' seat.  

Maybe Mike just has had an inherent distrust of any/all people in Brian's circle (going all the way back to '65-ish, continuing to the Landy era, and to Joe Thomas, etc.) and feels that Brian's decisions are less about what Brian wants, and are more about what people in Brian's circle want. And I could certainly understand/empathize how Mike could feel that way.

But ultimately, despite this, I think that Mike's ego, and his clinging to the brand name for the M&B show as a way to "make up" for the myriad of ways which he feels he's been historically slighted in terms of public recognition, etc, is what drives him to put his needs ahead of the happy ending the band and brand name should've had.  

Another irony in this whole story, is that Mike himself probably felt as though he was being "fired", or at least "demoted", from his position of power in BB-land once the C50 tour got underway. And, in my opinion, his resultant backlash at this feeling and fear of losing control is what led to the dissolution of the reunion in a passive aggressive manner, and of Brian winding up feeling that very same way that Mike felt (though as you mentioned, he wasn't moved enough to do something about it from a contractual standpoint). The eventual result, to me, just reeks of passive aggressive backstabbing and desperation.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 06:12:36 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2014, 06:36:13 PM »

Brian kept leaving the touring Beach Boys over and over again from the beginning. Even when his brothers were still around and during times were a good draw, playing baseball stadiums for a few years after the "Endless Summer" collection sold millions. He'd show up for a time, then leave again That alone would make most people think he's not the most reliable person to build a touring band around, over the long run, especially one that plays 100 dates a year.  Even Brian's own band members have left from time to time in search of other gigs, and they seem to enjoy playing with him and playing his music.
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2014, 06:46:45 PM »

I find it entertaining - and ironic. Because every conscious expression of frustration and disappointment of not having The Beach Boys continue is an unconscious expression of non-fulfillment and boredom with Brian and Al's solo careers, or what's left of them. It shows what's really important to not only the fans, but also Brian and Al.

...I'm *so* gonna call BS on that.

Because, after all, we can find more than one thing "really important".  Brian's solo career --never mind all some peoples' propaganda about how his wifeandmanagers bullied him into making such gorgeous albums -- remains a creative delight, one which has taken a guy who was repeatedly creatively written off back into the Top 20 time and time again, and which has produced such fascinating never-would-have-imagined-it moments as the Jeff Beck shows.  Despite the board's latest clockwork-predictable burst of sourness about how Brian's new album with Al, David, Blondie, and Jeff Beck must be a shambles in the making because it's not out NOW NOW NOW (seriously, you can set your watch by the time at which fan anticipation turns into anticipointment -- we hit the same sort of pre-backlash with "Radio", Disney, and even Gershwin), I nevertheless remain looking forward to it.

But I also find important the idea that the old gang can still work together.  Because, if they can manage it, they can do great things.

Even then, though:  the idea that the whole is greater than the sum of the parts doesn't cheapen the parts.

So, "bored"?  So much no.  "Non-fulfillment"?  Well, I entirely get the feeling that "Lucky Old Sun" is crying out for the voices of the other boys -- from Mike's first "mow mamayama" to Bruce's closing "Nodded off in the band room, woke up in history".  But that doesn't stop it being a fulfilling album nonetheless.

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Nicko1234
« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2014, 06:57:12 PM »

As for Brian deserving the reigns of the Beach Boys back as a reward for the hard times he's been through, then perhaps he and his wife should never have voted to give Mike the Beach Boys name rights exclusively, or at least made sure it was only for a certain number of years.

Although it obviously (as proven by events by the people involved) is unrealistic, it would be nice to think that something like this falling into place could come about naturally, without it being a legal requirement of sorts (ie. a set "end date" for the M&B BB brand license) for Mike to allow Brian to be back in the drivers' seat.  

Maybe Mike just has had an inherent distrust of any/all people in Brian's circle (going all the way back to '65-ish, continuing to the Landy era, and to Joe Thomas, etc.) and feels that Brian's decisions are less about what Brian wants, and are more about what people in Brian's circle want. And I could certainly understand/empathize how Mike could feel that way.

But ultimately, despite this, I think that Mike's ego, and his clinging to the brand name for the M&B show as a way to "make up" for the myriad of ways which he feels he's been historically slighted in terms of public recognition, etc, is what drives him to put his needs ahead of the happy ending the band and brand name should've had.  

Another irony in this whole story, is that Mike himself probably felt as though he was being "fired", or at least "demoted", from his position of power in BB-land once the C50 tour got underway. And, in my opinion, his resultant backlash at this feeling and fear of losing control is what led to the dissolution of the reunion in a passive aggressive manner, and of Brian winding up feeling that very same way that Mike felt (though as you mentioned, he wasn't moved enough to do something about it from a contractual standpoint). The eventual result, to me, just reeks of passive aggressive backstabbing and desperation.

I think you are reading way too much into it. Mike agreed to all of the things that happened during C50 and if he had considered it a `demotion` then it obviously wouldn`t have happened.

They all knew that there was a set end date though and that it was only intended to be a temporary thing. Bruce had mentioned it on the BBB board enough times after all. Therefore any extension to that would have been a surprise and going back to the status quo was the expected thing to do.

Now Brian may well have been happy to have played some more shows and to do one more album (although as he`s been recording his current album for over a year and it still seems a long way from finished, there have to be question marks over whether that would have happened). But would he have agreed to do another 75 shows in 2013 and 2014? Very unlikely. The reunion would have been over by now anyway therefore.

And the bottom line for me is that the idea that Mike Love should not have the right to say no to something he never agreed to in the first place is bizarre. I am not saying that it is right that Mike should go out calling himself `The Beach Boys` but only that he has the right to do so. That is what BRI agreed to and that is their responsibility. The idea that Mike Love should have to do whatever Brian and his management want (even though in another thread we have scores of people calling Brian`s management incompetent) and that he would agree to only play live when Brian fancies it is fanciful in the extreme.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2014, 07:02:33 PM »

When have any of Brian's albums made the Top 20, let alone again and again? I know they haven't in the United States. Some of them have been good, yes, and his fans have enjoyed them, and he's built a  fanbase, but he's not making hit records anymore.  TWGMTR made #3 with the Beach Boys name, but that's it. For one week only. It didn't sell that well in CD form or in downloads, even though the downloads were marked down to $5 for the whole album for a week or so on Amazon. I don't think there's a great public demand for the Beach Boys other than their old recordings, and Brian has his set of fans who will fill 2,000-5,000 seat theaters for his live shows in some markets. The Beach Boys with Mike and Bruce play theaters of that  small to medium size. I'm not sure the reunion tour ever played in theaters much larger than either Brian as a solo or the Mike-only Beach Boys.
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2014, 07:07:58 PM »

I'm not sure the reunion tour ever played in theaters much larger than either Brian as a solo or the Mike-only Beach Boys.

Really? Cause I saw it at Cincy's Riverbend. Capacity 20,500 and pretty much full.
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2014, 08:23:54 PM »

When have any of Brian's albums made the Top 20, let alone again and again? I know they haven't in the United States.

My apologies -- "Lucky Old Sun" peaked at #21 in the United States, not #19 like I'd remembered.

There was also "Smile" at #13.  Gershwin managed #26.  All three on Billboard.

Basically, it's a hell of a renaissance for a guy whose previous album less than a year before "Smile" charted at #100...

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 01, 2014, 07:24:47 AM »

Those who bitch about "one way compromises" should answer this. What was Mike's track record that makes him deserving of more "say" in 2012?

I would say the fact that he is one of the two artists mostly responsible for establishing their careers, is the only BB with an uninterrupted [I know he took a few days off] commitment to the touring group, holds the license by consent of his peers, and was promised he would have more "say" and then didn't get it. Honoring an agreement with and by others isn't having more "say".

Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 01, 2014, 09:05:14 AM »

Those who bitch about "one way compromises" should answer this. What was Mike's track record that makes him deserving of more "say" in 2012?

I would say the fact that he is one of the two artists mostly responsible for establishing their careers, is the only BB with an uninterrupted [I know he took a few days off] commitment to the touring group, holds the license by consent of his peers, and was promised he would have more "say" and then didn't get it. Honoring an agreement with and by others isn't having more "say".

Despite only having had  1 solo  album released (out of several attempts) and a track record of having penned some of the worst songs in the. And's catalog, the fact that BriMel gave him a spot for one of his solo songs on a BB album was more than generous (and quite frankly more than what any reasonable leader of a pop band would grant him). Or does that not "count"?

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 01, 2014, 09:45:53 AM »

Despite only having had  1 solo  album released (out of several attempts) and a track record of having penned some of the worst songs in the. And's catalog, the fact that BriMel gave him a spot for one of his solo songs on a BB album was more than generous (and quite frankly more than what any reasonable leader of a pop band would grant him). Or does that not "count"?

I'm not clear on your meaning for BriMel/solo song.

It doesn't count as a reason he deserved more say or against the reasons he did deserve more say.

KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 01, 2014, 10:04:30 AM »

At some point, an album becomes a Brian Wilson solo album featuring guest artists and isn't a Beach Boy album. So, again, really not sure why people wanted the Beach Boy reunion to continue. When the guy wants to dictate every term of the album, won't allow Al Jardine any songs on the album (at least Mike got one, and it's a solo track at that), won't collaborate with Mike (or Al or Dave) on songs to any meaningful degree, insists on having Joe Thomas put a heavy hand on everything (including drenching the "live" album with Joe Thomas signature autotune), and stays on his own bus and rarely mingles with the rest of the band backstage, then that's not really a reunion. If that's the way Brian preferred it, he really is better off touring and recording as a solo act and never having any other Beach Boys reunions. His fans are happy, he's happy. He draws crowds about the same as the official Beach Boys. People who prefer one style of music or the other have a choice. It's all good.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 01, 2014, 10:23:44 AM »

Hasn't Brian always been the boss of the BBs. Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 01, 2014, 12:08:48 PM »

At some point, an album becomes a Brian Wilson solo album featuring guest artists and isn't a Beach Boy album. So, again, really not sure why people wanted the Beach Boy reunion to continue. When the guy wants to dictate every term of the album, won't allow Al Jardine any songs on the album (at least Mike got one, and it's a solo track at that), won't collaborate with Mike (or Al or Dave) on songs to any meaningful degree, insists on having Joe Thomas put a heavy hand on everything (including drenching the "live" album with Joe Thomas signature autotune), and stays on his own bus and rarely mingles with the rest of the band backstage, then that's not really a reunion. If that's the way Brian preferred it, he really is better off touring and recording as a solo act and never having any other Beach Boys reunions. His fans are happy, he's happy. He draws crowds about the same as the official Beach Boys. People who prefer one style of music or the other have a choice. It's all good.

My true hunch is: if Mike had in fact just went with the flow, and didn't feel the need to assert his needs/demands/dissatisfaction (in whatever ways that he did) with how C50 evolved, and let Brian call the shots and have the final word without an undercurrent of resentment, I really think that the reunion/good vibes surrounding the band (and within the band itself) would've lent itself to more natural organic collaborations (musically speaking, between all the bandmates including Mike/Brian) for subsequent followup material. But Mike wasn't willing to take this chance.

It would seem that Al/Dave went with the flow (in terms of agreeing to more of Brian's terms) to a degree that Mike simply would not/could not bring himself to, because Mike thinks he deserves a status that has somehow been "denied" to him by both Brian and the public at large (ie. BB fans who don't attend the M&B shows). That line of thinking, which IMO has colored many years of resultant actions, hasn't done him or the band itself any favors, that's for sure.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx