gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:26:08 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Best songs from their worst albums  (Read 15730 times)
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 11, 2013, 05:29:01 PM »

The Beach Boys: "I Do Love You" (sounds so different from everything else on the album, you'd almost think it was performed by a whole different band)

I wonder why that might be.  Smiley

Sorry.  I couldn't resist!
Nicko1234
« Reply #76 on: April 11, 2013, 05:29:56 PM »

I always thought MIU was kinda underrated... it's definitely not a good album, but it's not awful. Though maybe it's because I was immediately won over with She's Got Rhythm  LOL

Agreed. Not a good album but not as terrible as some suggest. Al did a good job on songs like Come Go With Me, Pitter Patter and Winds of Change. A shame that Brian was barely interested by this point but I guess on the previous 4 albums that he'd worked on (if New Album and Adult/Child are included) he had done some work before giving up so not really a surprise.
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 11, 2013, 05:46:40 PM »

I always thought MIU was kinda underrated... it's definitely not a good album, but it's not awful. Though maybe it's because I was immediately won over with She's Got Rhythm  LOL
What's the best song from LA?

"She's Got Rhythm" is one of the few other songs on M.I.U. that I can listen to, though it seems a little underdeveloped.  The best song from L.A., in my mind, is "Love Surrounds Me."  I like most of the songs on the album (except "Sumahama," "Here Comes the Night," and "Goin' South") but that's the only one that stands out.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #78 on: March 10, 2014, 01:41:48 AM »

FTR I don't consider L.A. Light Album or the 85 album to be "sub-par", so I won't include them on this list. I'll include the best song off each album I consider "sub-par":

Little Deuce Coupe: Ballad Of Ole' Betsy.
Beach Boys' Party: You've Got To Hide Your Love Away.
15 Big Ones: Just Once In My Life.
M.I.U. Album: My Diane.
Keepin' The Summer Alive: Keepin' The Summer Alive.
Still Cruisin': Make It Big.
Summer In Paradise: Slow Summer Dancin' (One Summer Night).
Stars And Stripes Volume 1: The Warmth Of The Sun.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 10, 2014, 09:33:02 AM »

I guess the definition of 'sub-par' is a very personal one. That said:

M.I.U. Album - My Diane (fantastic song on a below-mediocre album); and I do have a deep affection for Winds Of Change too, perhaps I am pretty alone in that;

Keeping The Summer Alive - When Girls Get Together; and also: Goin' On, and Endless Harmony;

1985 - The Beach Boys - Passing Friend, and Getcha' Back;

Carl & The Passions - Marcella, and All This Is That (my long-lasting love affair with Cuddle Up has come to an end, unfortunately; I like it slightly).

Still Cruisin' - Somewhere Near Japan, and, yes, Kokomo.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #80 on: March 10, 2014, 12:39:48 PM »

Worst albums?

MIU - My Diane and Pitter Patter
KTSA - Santa Ana Winds and Goin' On
SIP - Strange Things Happen
Still Cruisin' (not counting the classics) - Somewhere Near Japan
BB85 - Where I Belong, Male Ego, It's Gettin' Late. She Believes in Love Again
15 BO - Just Once In My Life, Had To Phone Ya, Susie Cincinnati, A Casual Look, In The Still Of The Night
LA - Good Timin', Baby Blue, Love Surrounds Me, Angel Come Home, Full Sail and, yes, as sappy as it is, Lady Lynda

CATP - I don't regard this as anywhere near their worst and I'm reluctant to throw 15 BO and LA in the mix - there's a lot of redeemable stuff on both.
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 10, 2014, 01:07:44 PM »

I don't get anyone who calls themselves a Beach Boys/Brian Wilson fan and can't recognize a great tune from his pen. But what a lotta folks around here are best at is disliking the band's music, and talking about it incessantly.
Gone but not forgotten.    You tell 'em Ian!

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 10, 2014, 01:11:39 PM »

I have to admit, I've developed a soft spot for 'Sunshine'. This is probably bad.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx