gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:39:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike receives Ella Award 2014  (Read 48836 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2014, 10:49:18 PM »

Wow … Dave Lee Roth sounded like a bad pub singer! By contrast Mike's voice has held up astonishingly well down the years.

“We live in divisive times.”
LdC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2014, 01:38:28 AM »

My lord! Congrats to Mike, but gee it was weird to see Jeff Fosskett up up there.And Al and Dave Marks there too! Just what are the implications of this? Are there any?
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2014, 02:16:38 AM »

I remember this clip from the C50. Chatting and joking mid-song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9StwWfRRmt8

Maybe Mike and Jeff just.....shock...horror...like each other and he was a guest! Grin
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2014, 09:28:02 AM »

Random thougts:

The first time I ever heard (and acknowledged as such) the song "California Girls" was on the school bus in 1985. David Lee Roth's version.

Brian not showing up doesn't sit well. I hate to opine on things I don't know about but you sure would think he'd find a way to be there. Oh well.

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2014, 09:48:29 AM »

Back when Mike Love did his solo tour in 1981, he had a band called the Pranks backing him. Jeff Foskett and Randell Kirsch were both members of the Pranks. So Mike was instrumental (pun intended) in bringing Jeff into the BB sphere. That could well be one of the reasons Jeff was there.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2014, 10:28:33 AM »

I read that Mike discovered Jeff when he was playing at a bar in Santa Barbara, and ended up hiring him. 
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2014, 11:32:25 AM »

Back when Mike Love did his solo tour in 1981, he had a band called the Pranks backing him. Jeff Foskett and Randell Kirsch were both members of the Pranks. So Mike was instrumental (pun intended) in bringing Jeff into the BB sphere. That could well be one of the reasons Jeff was there.
The Pranks backed up Mike on his solo gigs..? I never knew that. Shocked  Damn, I love this board. Excuse my French.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2014, 11:38:48 AM »

I read that Mike discovered Jeff when he was playing at a bar in Santa Barbara, and ended up hiring him. 

Brian already knew Jeff since 1976.  Fanboy Jeff met Brian at Brian's house in Bel-Aire in 1976.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2014, 12:15:16 PM »

"Fanboy Jeff": Mikie, that's a good one .  Cheesy
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 12:16:12 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2014, 12:23:15 PM »

Honestly, it would probably be accurate to say that Brian has the most "fanboy" based band in rock 'n roll, what with Jeff and Darian, et al. And that's not a put-down at all, because I'm a fan boy, and if I could work with Brian I would too!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2014, 12:38:44 PM »

Honestly, it would probably be accurate to say that Brian has the most "fanboy" based band in rock 'n roll, what with Jeff and Darian, et al. And that's not a put-down at all, because I'm a fan boy, and if I could work with Brian I would too!

I'll handle his PR (someone oughta…)!

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2014, 12:42:38 PM »

John, I sent in my application to be his manager on "monster.com".

(Thanks Billy C.) Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2014, 03:41:58 AM »

Brian already knew Jeff since 1976.  Fanboy Jeff met Brian at Brian's house in Bel-Aire in 1976.

What I read is that Jeff first MET Brian by just showing up at his house in '75 - but I don't think that means they became "friends" yet. A few years later, he and his Betles cover band the Reverie Rhythm Rockers were opening a show for Mike's band Celebration when Mike approached him about maybe doing some Beach Boys covers with him at some point (so this would have been '78 or '79 - Jeff says it was his last year of college). Jeff played his first gig with Mike in May 1980 as part of the Endless Summer Beach Band, and might have also been part of the Brian/Mike recording sessions at Mike's place that month.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2014, 06:28:22 AM »

Three of the Pranks were in the ESBB backing Mike: Jeff Foskett, Randell Kirsch, and Bo Fox. John Cowsill is also connected to the Pranks somehow.
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2014, 07:57:37 AM »

Could somebody share in detail the story of how Jeff met Brian back in 75' or 76'?
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2014, 08:27:48 AM »

Could somebody share in detail the story of how Jeff met Brian back in 75' or 76'?
As far as I recall Jeff knew where Brian lived and one day showed up uninvited - Brian opened the door (or at least he was at home) and they talked and got to know each other. I don't remember any details as of this moment. Undecided
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2014, 08:44:15 AM »

Didn't Mikie do the same thing? Grin

Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2014, 09:13:45 AM »

As far as I recall Jeff knew where Brian lived and one day showed up uninvited - Brian opened the door (or at least he was at home) and they talked and got to know each other. I don't remember any details as of this moment. Undecided

I think he said he recognized Brian's home thanks to the Wild Honey vitraux.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2014, 10:37:18 AM »

Wasn't Brian's house behind a wall, with a gate that required speaking through an intercom to get into the gate? He would have had to have a general idea of where the house was and peered over a wall to see any windows. I guess Brian and Marilyn didn't mind the occasional stalker, as long as they seemed friendly.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2014, 12:20:55 PM »

Wasn't Brian's house behind a wall, with a gate that required speaking through an intercom to get into the gate? He would have had to have a general idea of where the house was and peered over a wall to see any windows. I guess Brian and Marilyn didn't mind the occasional stalker, as long as they seemed friendly.
You couldn't picture Jeff Foskett climbing over a gate nowadays, that's for sure. LOL
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2014, 08:01:38 PM »

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php?topic=8033.0
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2014, 12:49:01 AM »

Mickey Dolenz - "Wild Honey"
http://youtu.be/2JQMstHVQbc

Bill Medley and Jeff Foskett - "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling"
http://youtu.be/xIngV1-qYfw

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2014, 03:24:22 AM »

Mickey Dolenz - "Wild Honey"
http://youtu.be/2JQMstHVQbc

Ah. Like the Dave Lee Roth clip, this reminds me  of Vic Reeve's pub singer. And the band sounds uninspired really… backing vocals limp along.

Bill Medley and Jeff Foskett - "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling"
http://youtu.be/xIngV1-qYfw

Far better. For all I don't usually rave about Jeff's vocals, he really shines on this, and Cowsill's drumming is fantastic - great energy and enthusiasm (oh, and ability…)

KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2014, 06:31:24 AM »

Jeff Foskett, Righteous Brother. He probably grew up hearing that song on the radio and watching those guys on Shindig, so I'm sure that was fun for him.
Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2014, 07:04:18 AM »

Really enjoyed seeing "Loving Feelin"!  I bet it was quite a thrill for Foskett, he is just beaming here.  Cowsill is a star here too. Mr. Manning, I agree with you on "Loving Feelin" but I enjoyed Wild Honey as well.
Totten (and company) should be commended for his (their) work on putting this evening together.  Events like this are very tough to assemble with very little rehearsal time and a wide array of guests who are all working a bit outside their usual comfort zone.  I would have loved to have seen this event live.  Looked like a crazy collection of performers AND Mike, Bruce, Al and David.  I am jealous of those who took in the experience live...
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx