gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680877 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 11:20:33 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is A New Beach Boys Album On The Way?  (Read 24226 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 21, 2014, 03:16:34 AM »

A pooling of posts from several recent threads that hint something more than a Brian solo album in the future.

Hello all,
I thought I should post & clarify some points here. Got a call from BW management asking me if I was available to sing in the studio with Brian. I spent the past 3 days putting down lead & backing guide vocals on 8-9 tunes. Hopefully they'll keep some of my work but I do know others will sing over what I put down. They're fleshing out new tunes & they are very good, catchy songs. You will be thrilled & surprised. Scott was in for a day working on a tune & it was Brian, Blondie & me the other two days. This is studio work folks & apparently Jeff was not available for this little stretch. It happens & is not a big deal. Brian sang really well, better than I've heard him sing in awhile, was in good spirits & he was assigning me parts on the fly while I was in the vocal booth. Blondie sounds absolutely amazing &, strangely enough, we have a great vocal blend together. It was a very positive experience overall. I believe Dad, aka Al, will be in the studio with Brian in Feb fyi.

I sang guide vocals on some tunes. Other tunes had no vocals & we put down harmonies to add meat to the song along with a scratch lead vocal so Brian & Joe can listen to it.  Building as they go but changes will be made as the songs evolve. Some tunes were in demo form still ( now with very nice harmony bg parts) & others were in a more finished state. Always fun to work with Brian in the studio & he was enjoying the hang time while work was in progress. Blondie, who remembers me from when I was 5, was a pleasure to work & sing with & has such an incredible voice. I hope the tunes with his lead vocals makes the album. So so cool & so Blondie. Awesome vibe! Very productive & very intense 3 days of studio time.

I'm not a betting man - I just work in a bookmakers, trading in base human misery, literally snatching their hard-earned cash out of honest people's hands and FORCING them to squander it on slots and decrepit nags as their ill-clad children shiver outside in the wind and rain, whimpering with hunger while back home the bailiffs are evicting their wife, changing the locks and auctioning the furniture: I love my job -  but I'd wager a modest sum that the Beck/Wilson is withering on the vine.

Jeff with Mike.. Matt with Brian..  what the heck is going on?!

The stars are realigning... who knows where they may fall ? May you live in interesting times...

Rumor Mill to warp factor 12, Mr. Sulu.

Ella award to Mike Love Feb 20. Mike, Dave, Al, Bruce.

Speculate at will people.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 04:46:10 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 03:33:46 AM »

Congratulations - you've managed to draw exactly the wrong conclusion from all that data (excepting Matt's posts, most of which is frankly dubious - notably my observation).  Grin
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 03:38:25 AM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 06:39:37 AM »

I had missed Matt’s comments from that previous thread, so those are interesting to read in and of themselves.

Hardly strong evidence of a Beach Boys album, but still interesting. Does Brian always have Jeff or others do guide lead vocals for songs Brian will end up singing the lead on? That’s the only bit that makes it particularly plausible that this stuff is intended for something other than a Brian solo album. Even then, it sounds like last year’s sessions included Al singing some leads on songs that presumably would have or will be on a solo Brian album, so even in that case it could still just be all Brian solo stuff.

I’d love to think Brian and Joe Thomas are still trying to pitch material back to Mike to make another Beach Boys album, but considering that this scenario involves two of the main things Mike seems to have come away from the BB reunion not liking (namely working with Joe Thomas, and coming in to sing on stuff Brian has already written without Mike), this seems unlikely.

I’m not as 100% adamantly against the slim possibility that some sort of new BB project could be in consideration, but I would never assume anything on that count. It would be easy to twist things to fit this slim possibility. Mike talked in 2012 about giving the reunion a rest for 2-3 years to build up demand, so theoretically if they wanted to get something together for 2015, they’d probably have to start getting some stuff in order now, such as material for a new album. But again, the scenario Matt describes in the studio involves a number of things that Mike has specifically voiced displeasure with in his interviews, were this material to be intended for the entire BB group.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 07:56:34 AM »

I’d love to think Brian and Joe Thomas are still trying to pitch material back to Mike to make another Beach Boys album, but considering that this scenario involves two of the main things Mike seems to have come away from the BB reunion not liking (namely working with Joe Thomas, and coming in to sing on stuff Brian has already written without Mike), this seems unlikely.
Mike didn't like it when Brian started working with Tony Asher. Or with Van Dyke Parks. Or with Joe Thomas. But in the end it never stopped him from singing on the songs that came out of these collaborations.
chrs_mrgn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 08:57:59 AM »

You know what this sounds like to me? Business as usual. It seems like people on this board have
pretty selective memory sometimes (no offense meant).

But these guys get in tiffs all the time but in the end they go back to making music with one another because they know they work well together.
Don't worry I won't quote mike here via "as for the past it's all behind us"
oops.

As for the 'new BB album' talk
If i ever listen to TWGMTR about one third through I think 'please don't let this be their last album' but as those
last 3 songs roll in i'm quite all right with it.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 10:34:04 AM »

Congratulations - you've managed to draw exactly the wrong conclusion from all that data (excepting Matt's posts, most of which is frankly dubious - notably my observation).  Grin

How is asking a question, drawing a conclusion?

A conclusion comes after answers have been given my dear Watson!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 10:53:18 AM »

Mike didn't like it when Brian started working with Tony Asher. Or with Van Dyke Parks. Or with Joe Thomas. But in the end it never stopped him from singing on the songs that came out of these collaborations.

Mike has been a variety of levels of unequivocal about various things relating to the reunion, but one thing he has continued to hammer (some would suggest whine) is that he clearly feels he needs to “get in a room” with Brian and write, and he has several times pretty specifically said a future “Beach Boys” album is contingent on that in some form. He has also stated several times the obvious conclusion drawn from that desire as it relates to the “TWGMTR” album, which is that he felt detached/disconnected from the album that was written without as much as input from him as he would have liked.

I’m sure anything is possible, but given what Mike has said, and what seems to be several of the reasons he did not continue the reunion, I’d say an exact repeat of “Radio” on an additional album where Mike just comes in and sings songs written by Brian and Joe Thomas, is relatively unlikely. Ideally there would be some sort of compromise (although that compromise would have to go beyond what they did with “Radio”, where Mike got one of his solo tracks on the album plus lyrical input on several additional songs), and I would imagine Mike wouldn’t object to some amount of songs on a BB album without his input. I don’t think he necessarily would demand 12 Wilson/Love co-writes and nothing else.

Fans have for years been openly questioning just how “okay” Mike has been with Brian writing with other collaborators, but it is true he has sang the stuff when presented to him. A future BB album/reunion is different in that the group is not a going concern, so it’s not as if they just reconvene every so often to do an album, and Mike sings whatever is on offer. They have to entice each other to do stuff together.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 11:36:05 AM »

I think it doesn't bode well that on a night Mike Love is honored in Beverly Hills with an award, Brian Wilson, who lives 10-15 minutes away, doesn't attend.  Say what you will about Al Jardine, but he did the right thing and showed up.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 11:49:57 AM »

Maybe Brian's justification is that he wanted the focus of the evening to remain on Mike. It could have turned into a mini-circus if Brian turned up, with questions as to whether the BB's would reunite again.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 11:49:58 AM »

I think it doesn't bode well that on a night Mike Love is honored in Beverly Hills with an award, Brian Wilson, who lives 10-15 minutes away, doesn't attend.  Say what you will about Al Jardine, but he did the right thing and showed up.

You're assuming Brian would have been able to attend and opted against. We don't know that …

“We live in divisive times.”
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2014, 12:13:17 PM »

Maybe Brian's justification is that he wanted the focus of the evening to remain on Mike. It could have turned into a mini-circus if Brian turned up, with questions as to whether the BB's would reunite again.

I can't speak for Mike, but I will.... Grin

After the members of the Love family, who do you think was at the top of Mike's proposed guest list? IMO, I think Mike would've been touched - maybe even moved to tears - to see his cousin Brian walk through the doors, embrace or shake hands with Mike, and attend this special evening OUT OF RESPECT FOR Mike.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2014, 12:38:56 PM »

After the members of the Love family, who do you think was at the top of Mike's proposed guest list? IMO, I think Mike would've been touched - maybe even moved to tears - to see his cousin Brian walk through the doors, embrace or shake hands with Mike, and attend this special evening OUT OF RESPECT FOR Mike.

Brian skips a lot of these things, for whatever reason. He skipped the California Hall of Fame thing from back around 2011 (that was just Mike, Al, and Dave), the Reagan show in 2011 that Al showed up at, he skipped the grammy luncheon thing all the way back in 2000 (where Mike and Al both showed up even though Al said afterwards he stayed away from Mike as much as he could; that was in the heat of their acrimony apparently).

Mike skipped the Hawthorne landmark thing back around 2005.

Sometimes these guys have other plans and can’ t make it. It’s probably a bit of everything in a lot of cases. They could probably squeeze in some of these things and make it if they really wanted to, but either out of awkwardness (avoiding it anyway) or ego or whatever, they bow out.

I also have a theory that, whether spoken or unspoken, the Beach Boys have rarely all been together at an event and do so (or don’t do so as it were) for a reason. Apart from the 50th reunion, how many times have all five of those guys (or even any combination of four including both Brian and Mike) appeared together in public since the late 90’s? There was the Capitol ceremony in 2006, and not much else.

Maybe Brian didn’t show up at this Mike event to avoid it having the weight of a “full reunion” in any way. I’m not saying Brian did it out of kindness as if to avoid “taking the spotlight” away from Mike. Rather, there would be hoopla and headlines and pressure if all five of the guys were together.

Or, maybe Brian or his handlers are pissed at Mike, even if just passively so. I’m sure similar sentiments have been possible at past Mike no-shows as well. I mean, it’s pretty obvious Mike bowed out of more reunion stuff because he was taking issue with Brian or at least all those around Brian. That’s a more drastic step (and more of a bummer for fans) than the possibility that Brian didn’t go to this Mike event because he or his handlers have taken issue with Mike or some of those around Mike.

It has been pretty apparent, to some fans anyway, that, to varying degrees over the years, Brian has not felt comfortable being around Mike. Whether justified or not, he has sometimes avoided Mike. I think Brian avoiding the “writing alone in a room” thing is a good example, not to mention Brian generally apart from “C50” not making a lot of appearances with any of the other BB’s apart from a dozen shows with Al in the mid-2000’s.  Again, he may or may not be justified in this, and he also has clearly (and perhaps seemingly randomly) found it relatively comfortable to be around Mike and/or the other guys.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 12:42:57 PM by HeyJude » Logged

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2014, 02:21:15 PM »

Brian skips a lot of these things, for whatever reason. He skipped the California Hall of Fame thing from back around 2011 (that was just Mike, Al, and Dave), the Reagan show in 2011 that Al showed up at, he skipped the grammy luncheon thing all the way back in 2000 (where Mike and Al both showed up even though Al said afterwards he stayed away from Mike as much as he could; that was in the heat of their acrimony apparently).

Mike skipped the Hawthorne landmark thing back around 2005.

Sometimes these guys have other plans and can’ t make it. It’s probably a bit of everything in a lot of cases. They could probably squeeze in some of these things and make it if they really wanted to, but either out of awkwardness (avoiding it anyway) or ego or whatever, they bow out.

I also have a theory that, whether spoken or unspoken, the Beach Boys have rarely all been together at an event and do so (or don’t do so as it were) for a reason. Apart from the 50th reunion, how many times have all five of those guys (or even any combination of four including both Brian and Mike) appeared together in public since the late 90’s? There was the Capitol ceremony in 2006, and not much else.

Maybe Brian didn’t show up at this Mike event to avoid it having the weight of a “full reunion” in any way. I’m not saying Brian did it out of kindness as if to avoid “taking the spotlight” away from Mike. Rather, there would be hoopla and headlines and pressure if all five of the guys were together.

Or, maybe Brian or his handlers are pissed at Mike, even if just passively so. I’m sure similar sentiments have been possible at past Mike no-shows as well. I mean, it’s pretty obvious Mike bowed out of more reunion stuff because he was taking issue with Brian or at least all those around Brian. That’s a more drastic step (and more of a bummer for fans) than the possibility that Brian didn’t go to this Mike event because he or his handlers have taken issue with Mike or some of those around Mike.

It has been pretty apparent, to some fans anyway, that, to varying degrees over the years, Brian has not felt comfortable being around Mike. Whether justified or not, he has sometimes avoided Mike. I think Brian avoiding the “writing alone in a room” thing is a good example, not to mention Brian generally apart from “C50” not making a lot of appearances with any of the other BB’s apart from a dozen shows with Al in the mid-2000’s.  Again, he may or may not be justified in this, and he also has clearly (and perhaps seemingly randomly) found it relatively comfortable to be around Mike and/or the other guys.

That ^ is the worst rationalizing I have ever read. Not the way you wrote it, it was quite articulate, just the degree of rationalizing. None of it (the excuses you speculated on) makes it right.

With the possible exception of the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame induction, this Ella Award is probably the most significant award Mike Love will ever receive. And, the Ella Award might be more important to Mike because it was based on charitable contributions. Is it safe to say that this might've been one of the important nights of Mike's life? Did you read the link about the Ella Award and the list of past winners?

Brian could've simple - SIMPLY - behaved the way he has for the majority of the last 40 years. He could've addressed any Beach Boys-related questions with a blank stare, a one sentence saying nothing, or having people run "interference" for him until he bolts for the exit.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2014, 03:05:55 PM »

Unless I've missed it there has been no detailed report out of the night. For all we know Brian may have had a message read out by someone, or even a private call or private message sent to Mike. I won't dump on an almost 72 year old guy with health issues for not turning up just yet. 
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2014, 03:09:24 PM »

If he had an appointment to be someplace else that night, which I doubt, he should have cancelled and gone to the Ella awards to salute Mike.  A lot of people make excuses for Brian Wilson, but he seems pretty self centered and inconsiderate a good deal of the time.  Being famous doesn't excuse bad behavior.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2014, 03:30:46 PM »

....I did say "yet".

Hey agreed. Petty if he or his handlers were having a sulk. Put something up on his own board at the very least.

Although the removal of old band pictures during the M&B shows last year shows how silly things can get at times.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2014, 03:31:22 PM »

Mike never went to the kennedy center awards either to be fair.

Edit: Maybe Brian sent Jeff as a representative.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 03:35:40 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2014, 03:39:24 PM »

Good point, although the Kennedy Center was not a 10-15 minute drive from Mike Love's house.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2014, 03:45:07 PM »

I've created a separate thread to bundle and focus the discussion on Mike's Ella Award. Just click on Stamos' bow tie.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 03:45:58 PM by Lowbacca » Logged
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2014, 03:51:31 PM »

Good point, although the Kennedy Center was not a 10-15 minute drive from Mike Love's house.

And, we don't know that Mike was even invited to the Kennedy Center Honors. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall seeing any Beach Boys there.
sandmountainslim
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2014, 04:06:08 PM »

If he had an appointment to be someplace else that night, which I doubt, he should have cancelled and gone to the Ella awards to salute Mike.  A lot of people make excuses for Brian Wilson, but he seems pretty self centered and inconsiderate a good deal of the time.  Being famous doesn't excuse bad behavior.

Brian is old and sick with a severe nervous condition.  That isn't an excuse it's a fact.   
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2014, 06:08:05 PM »

Brian is old and sick with a severe nervous condition.  That isn't an excuse it's a fact.   
Is this a new ailment? An old one from the mid-60's onward? Did he have it during the 2012 reunion tour? His last two tours with Al & David? His condition may be a fact, but it hasn't really held him back has it? Fact-no it hasn't. It being a fact is no excuse. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2014, 06:14:24 PM »

Let's hope not.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2014, 06:32:42 PM »

It certainly becomes a head-scratcher when BW is the one living BB (Blondie/Ricky excepted) who doesn't show at Mike's big night.

I applaud Al and Dave for showing up.

My take on it is this: Considering what we know of the circumstances of the end of C50 (which admittedly we don't know all know the full details of), at the very least it can be deduced with a reasonable degree of certainty that the way things went down (with Mike taking control of the BBs name for touring purposes) must've left certain BB members feeling really hurt.

IMHO...

My guess is that Dave was bummed, but not "hurt" in a deep way.

I imagine Al was really truly bummed and had/has some BIG issues with Mike's actions and the way Mike communicated (or didn't). I'm sure there are some big C50-implosion-related hurt feelings/resentment that Al still has against Mike (I'd be shocked if not)... so, it is big of Al to put those issues aside and show up for this event.  Good for Al for being a bigger man and attending a very important event for his bandmate, even if he has some major, major issues with the guy. I'd almost say that Al was taking a cue from what Carl would've done in his shoes under the circumstances.  

Finally, I imagine that Brian felt most hurt by the way things went down at the end of C50. He is/has always been the most emotionally sensitive member of the band, and of all living members besides Mike, Brian surely has always felt the band ultimately was/is his baby at its core... which had to have made him feel all the more butt-hurt by the reunion falling to pieces in the way it did. While we don't all know the full reasons (except some insiders), I imagine Brian would place most of the blame (and the mind-bogglingly ridiculous public way it went down) with Mike.

Therefore, is it really that surprising that Brian would decide not to show up, since Brian surely has (and justifiably so, despite whoever of the usual suspects on this board are gonna refute this) the biggest chip on his shoulder against Mike these days of all living BBs? It sucks that he didn't show up, because it comes off publicly as looking petty, especially since Dave and Al put whatever issues they had aside. But ultimately, I think Brian was/remains hurt, for reasons that I presume are very, very real to him.  

Ultimately, I'm sure Brian has some regret about not going, especially knowing that Al/Dave went, as well as all the kids. But Brian stays away from situations that are really super emotionally awkward for him, such as the 2014 entity unfortunately known as the Fractured Beach Boys.

Basically, I think Brian and Mike are currently at a stalemate, where Brian would probably have come to the event if Mike had reached out and made some apologies to him about C50, etc. Beyond Mike's LA Times article. I really doubt Mike has reached out to Brian and acknowledged damage/pain that Brian probably felt was caused by Mike. And again, to the uber-Mike defenders, whether you guys want to agree that Mike has anything whatsoever in the world to apologize for, that doesn't really matter if Brian (as I presume he does) wants an apology from Mike.

The whole thing is just really f-in sad. It all comes down to the fact that regardless of the musical magic that they were able to create at their peak, the personalities known as Brian Douglas Wilson and Michael Edward Love were really not meant to be together as bandmates in a band (as people, not necessarily musically speaking). They just can't healthily communicate, ultimately want very different things, and those two guys cannot seem to avoid hurting each other, over and over and over again. As a huge fan of this band, it is painful to say that, but ultimately IMHO there ain't no way around it.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 07:01:03 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2014, 06:50:04 PM »

Yes, kudos to Al, Dave, Jeff and co for last night plus California Saga members.

This post C50 furore just doesn't go away though. I remember reading an Al story from about 02 and he mentions Mike with something like 'he is an interesting guy, its a shame I never got to really know him'. or words to that effect. A sad state of affairs after 40 years knowing each other. Obviously nothing had changed by 2012. No chance over 6 months for the group to clear the air, discuss the future or tell other members of their own hopes down the road?

Its tragic really.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx