gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 09:43:06 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike's Beach Boys will perform on Queen Latifah's daytime talk show tomorrow.  (Read 10882 times)
Ninten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2014, 10:30:02 AM »

What's that playing in the background while Mike is talking about the song?
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2014, 10:40:01 AM »

I don't have cable..so I thought Id catch it at the gym, it's usually on around 11 am when I'm there...and I'm here and the Ellen show is on. Nothing against her, but wtf?

Found this:
http://queenlatifah.com/music/performances/beach-boys-perform-live/

So the song "Pisces Brothers" is now sorta kinda officially-released. But this is very confusing as a fan, and for the BBs brand name: the above linked Queen Latifah site has a video of "The BBs" playing live, but right below the live video, this "Pisces Brothers" track (while we all know is actually a ML solo track in reality), is being released as a ML solo tune, and not a "BB" tune due to the terms of the license, right? Ay carumba, what a hot mess of confusion.

That said, I think it's a good tune.

Don't see how this is a hot mess of confusion...the article clearly states that it's a song written by Mike Love and the soundcloud box clearly shows that it's a solo Mike Love song....and there is no mention of the Beach Boys in the paragraph that talks about this song.

It's just a bizarre situation which is what it is - which is a brand name which is being marketed incredibly inconsistently. And while the soundcloud box states "Mike Love" (as it must, due to the terms of the contract - I'll bet Mike wishes he could release "Pisces Brothers" as a "BB" track if he could), another Queen Latifah video right on that same page has Mike talking about the creation of that very same ML "solo" song with text "Mike Love Beach Boys" as the burned-in text at 0:01 during the interview.

I think anyone who doesn't think this is a hot mess of confusion for average BB fans (non-nerds like us) is fooling themselves. It's just unfortunately a rather ridiculous and confusing situation.

I find it hard to believe that a caption (stating what band Mike Love is currently in) could create any confusion about a song that is clearly labeled a Mike Love song.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 02:36:47 PM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Watch a Cave
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2014, 11:00:25 AM »

Just want to say that Mike sounds great on this new song.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2014, 11:12:01 AM »

Not sure what Al was talking about....

Anyway, I thought that was a pretty poor representation of the Mike and Bruce Band. All of the vocals (especially Mike's) sounded unusually weak. The instrumentation was fine and dandy as always but it seemed very bare and weak, vocally.

I couldn't listen to the song. I got about thirty seconds in, he rhymed wall with hall, and I lost all faith in the tune.
The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2014, 11:12:26 AM »

I think Bruce is lip-synching the falsetto over Randell's voice.

Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2014, 11:37:35 AM »

No, that's definitely Bruce, he always does that part, even in the C50 shows. Sounds like him too.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2014, 11:52:49 AM »

Is his the same version of the ML song that was on his last unreleased album?

“We live in divisive times.”
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2014, 11:59:44 AM »

It's Bruce. He did it on the road last year but it sounded stronger, Randall may typically double it or something. I don't recall him doing it at C50 however, at least not at my show.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2014, 12:31:56 PM »

It's Bruce. He did it on the road last year but it sounded stronger, Randall may typically double it or something. I don't recall him doing it at C50 however, at least not at my show.
He did it in Berlin, as far as I recall. He wasn't alone on it, though.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2014, 12:41:46 PM »

Just want to say that Mike sounds great on this new song.
It has been on YouTube for several years. 

Under "Pisces Brothers - Mike Love." 

Just lovely...
The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2014, 01:04:26 PM »

Ok. So that's Bruce and he sounds fantastic!! It gives some more authenticity to the band, being an original member who does the falsetto.

startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2014, 02:35:35 PM »

Not sure what Al was talking about....

Anyway, I thought that was a pretty poor representation of the Mike and Bruce Band. All of the vocals (especially Mike's) sounded unusually weak. The instrumentation was fine and dandy as always but it seemed very bare and weak, vocally.

I couldn't listen to the song. I got about thirty seconds in, he rhymed wall with hall, and I lost all faith in the tune.

He was probably talking about the Ella Awards.
SonoraDick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2014, 02:46:03 PM »

Is his the same version of the ML song that was on his last unreleased album?

It sounds identical to me, John.
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2014, 03:37:53 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32RpEwwxT1I

For anyone that missed the show.
sandmountainslim
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2014, 03:54:29 PM »

Mike/Bruce and their Beach Boys Band sound good.   I respect that their outfit descended from the version that Mike, Bruce, Al and Carl toured with for all those years while Brian was out of the scene.    
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 06:11:37 PM by sandmountainslim » Logged
Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2014, 05:17:00 PM »

Al just shared a link to the Queen Latifah show on his FB page with the caption "You never know who else might also show up!"

He also just posted "Congratulations Mike!" on Mike's FB page. A thawing in relations?

Are either of Al's posts still up? I couldn't find them.

And as soon as I posted this I found them. Nevermind.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 05:18:09 PM by Mayoman » Logged
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2014, 05:35:20 PM »

1- Pisces Brother is a lovely song. I'm glad he's showing it to the world. I know the song dates from a few years ago, but still shows that when Mike is inspired he can come out with lyrics that are as simple as they are  relatabe, heartfelt and emotional. Some of his FB posts show this concise, straightforward and very moving style.

2- through the years I've grown very fond of the M&B band . I enjoy and admire their work.

3- Bruce DOES sing the FFF tag. As he always has. Does a great job at it. Randell is singing something else. And all vocals are live.

4- even if the vocals sound a little dry, Mike sounds good. He specially sounds ultra cool when goes into bass realms.

5- Mike looks sharp when wearing his jeans and leather jacket. And isn't he starting to look like Dennis Hopper?

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2014, 06:06:04 PM »

Mike's in surprisingly fine voice.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2014, 09:27:43 PM »

I just realized that Al and David were with with Mike and Bruce February 20th. Wasn't this filmed the day before? I wonder if they were supposed to be on the show too and something fell out.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2014, 10:26:53 PM »

Just had a strange late night altered state thought:   couldn't possibly be that we are returning to an 80's BB touring band with everyone but Brian.....where he stays home and just be's Brian,   Providing a behind the scenes influence and mistique,  could it? Cool
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2014, 09:12:44 AM »

I don't have cable..so I thought Id catch it at the gym, it's usually on around 11 am when I'm there...and I'm here and the Ellen show is on. Nothing against her, but wtf?

Found this:

IMHO on the outro to FunFunFun Bruce sounds more like a Theremin than like a human being. Smiley It's some pretty high notes anyway.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2014, 03:39:37 PM »

Found this:

IMHO on the outro to FunFunFun Bruce sounds more like a Theremin than like a human being. Smiley It's some pretty high notes anyway.
And he can even do higher.  Smokin
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2014, 08:07:06 PM »

Found this:

I know that in Baltimore the Olympics coverage is prompting the local NBC affiliate to juggle their daytime schedule around so that Ellen still gets shown every day (it's popular for some baffling reason). Maybe that's the reason Latifah is getting shuffled.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2014, 10:11:04 PM »

Cowsill rocks.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Bill Ed
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2014, 10:33:59 PM »

I really wish I could agree with those of you who think Mike sounded terrific. I would describe his voice as "shredded", no doubt from 50+ years of use, and well, over 70 years of age. Bruce sounded pretty good, and is was nice to be able to actually hear something he added to the performance. The rest of the band sounded great.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx