gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:03:56 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Best Obscure Records  (Read 9442 times)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2014, 04:13:07 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_United_States_of_America_(album)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yqVF4EXFu18

I post the wiki and YouTube of it only because I'm shocked someone here hasn't already mentioned it. The United States of America. This, to me, is the textbook definition of an unfairly overlooked masterpiece. Along with Forever Changes, I'd say it's the best album of the psychedelic era, but nobody outside of serious music buffs seems to know about either.
I used to own both. I agree about TUSOA being unfairly overlooked, as it broke seriously new ground. FC has some fine tracks too.

I must confess to not being crazy about either album. I prefer Love's earlier stuff (up to but not including "Revelation") and gave up on TUSOA quite early on.  

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Vega-Table Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2014, 08:05:25 PM »

Bill Ricchini, Tonight I Burn Brightly (2005)
A mostly one-man-band project that people on this board are really likely to enjoy: we're talking classic pop sounds here. Great melodies, good singing, cool mostly piano-based songs. Here is "It's a Story, It's a Fable." But if you like it, check "Angela," "Eugene Hill," and "She Don't Come Around Here Anymore."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqCmMFukCwI

Thanks for recommending this! I just got the CD and it's fantastic.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2014, 08:11:36 PM »

an obscure comedy 45 which I think is great:

jack clement 'my voice keeps changing/time after time'

both sides are 'somethin' else..... Roll Eyes

Jack Clement is a legend.

RickB
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2014, 08:37:21 PM »

Speaking of obscure, Obscured By Clouds is a fantastic obscure album, at least in the context of Pink Floyd's catalog. I like it a little bit more than the albums that preceded and followed it.

A discipline daddy.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2015, 06:02:39 AM »

Any NRBQ album starting with the 1st from 1969 (s/t)
The The - <<Infected>> (1986)
Lene Lovich - <<Stateless>> (1978)
Marmalade - <<Kaleidoscope: The Psych-Pop Sessions>> (1966-70 comp)
Kaleidoscope (U.S. band) - <<Side Trips>> (1967); <<A Beacon from Mars>> (1968); <<Bernice>> (1970); <<Greetings from Kartoonistan>> (1991)
Sun-60 - <<Only>> (1993)

These are all best to my mind. Brb w/ more.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
beatnickle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2015, 07:14:23 AM »

The Vejtables........ " I Still Love You"......... an oddity for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usjrjSk5l80
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2015, 07:51:41 AM »

Not an obscure record, but a thought about them: will they, as we know them, disappear going forward? After all, mostly gone are the days of a record being obscure because only X,000 of them were ever pressed and distributed. One digital file online pretty much means anything is available to anyone forever. It brings a different type of obscurity, which is being just one among the bafuckingzillion things out there to hear, but the days of scouring record stores and thrift shops might be over for those people who aren't seeking physical artifacts.

Of course a lot of--most of?--the music that is obscure sucks anyway, so that's ok. Nobody wants to be around modern-day musical Mithraists.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2015, 08:26:56 AM »

Of course I love my little-known favorites just as much as anyone. And so I offer up Future Clouds & Radar's self-titled debut. You might know the bandleader Robert Harrison's previous band, Cotton Mather, whose KonTiki is really well regarded in certain circles. In the mid '00s, he launched FC&R with a double album. Very enjoyable. You could make one Cotton Mather out of it, with a lot of stuff that doesn't fit that model as well.

There's plenty on youtube. You can find it. It's easy.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2015, 10:10:02 AM »

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2015, 10:43:31 AM »

Candi Staton -  I'm Just A Prisoner

Dean Martin - Dream with Dean  (recently re-released on 180g vinyl for Record Store Day. Not obscure back in the day but nowadays probably more so I guess)

Junior Parker - Love Ain't Nothin' But A Business Goin' On

Jan&Dean - Carnival of sound (unreleased until a few years ago), Save for a rainy day

Johnny Robinson ‎– Memphis High

Lee Dorsey - Yes we can

Elvis Presley - Good times

T-Bone Walker - Very rare

Tony Joe White - The Real Thang

I didn't include the Beach Boys in this list.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2015, 12:47:15 PM »

Surely this counts as obscure: "Circus" by String Driven Thing.
I think i could easily obsess about this extraordinary record... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cATm-piRZvs

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2015, 08:20:14 PM »

James Cotton -- "Taking Care of Business."  Produced by Todd Rundgren, cameos by Johnny Winter and Mike Bloomfield, quite different than anything else he recorded pretty much.  A lot of pop and rock and far less blues, but really strong songwriting.  One of my favorite albums, it has never come out on CD!

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2015, 09:42:40 PM »

Fred Neil's Capitol Records lps, and his lps with Vince Martin.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
KDS
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2015, 09:26:21 AM »

Roger Waters - Amused to Death (1992) - I'm fully convinced if this album was released with the Pink Floyd name, it would be heralded a modern classic. 

Cry of Love - Self Titled (1993) - A great throwback classic rock album.  Unfortunately, it was released at the height of grunge, so it was barely noticed. 

Rainbow - Stranger in Us All (1995) - The last rock album ever done with Ritchie Blackmore.  Unfortunately, due to record label rights, no tracks from this album ever appear on Rainbow compilations, so it's basically been forgotten.

Blue Oyster Cult - Secret Treaties (1974) - The best hard rock album of the 1970s that nobody ever mentions. 
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2015, 09:36:32 AM »

Roger Waters - Amused to Death (1992) - I'm fully convinced if this album was released with the Pink Floyd name, it would be heralded a modern classic. 

Totally agreed, amazing album.
KDS
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2015, 09:39:47 AM »

Over 20 years later, I'm seeing more of more mentions of Amused to Death. 

I think Roger's decision to not tour to promote the album didn't help copies fly off the shelves. 
KDS
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2015, 08:54:16 AM »

Looks like Roger Waters is re-releasing Amused to Death in several new formats. 

I guess the CD is OOP.  It's going for almost $25 on Amazon, almost $400 on vinyl. 

http://www.rogerwaters.com/
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2015, 10:17:38 AM »

I guess the CD is OOP.  It's going for almost $25 on Amazon, almost $400 on vinyl. 

Yeah and he said he considers it to be the best album he's ever written besides Dark Side and The Wall. Would it be too much to dream of an Amused to Death tour?
KDS
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2015, 11:05:01 AM »

Yeah and he said he considers it to be the best album he's ever written besides Dark Side and The Wall. Would it be too much to dream of an Amused to Death tour?

When I got the email from Roger's site, and the subject was Amused to Death 2015, I initially thought it was for a tour.   But, I guess the closest we'll ever get to that was the In the Flesh Tour (1999-2000) where he did five or six songs from the album. 

Roger has hinted that the extensive tour for The Wall will likely be his last. 
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2015, 11:11:47 AM »

When I got the email from Roger's site, and the subject was Amused to Death 2015, I initially thought it was for a tour.   But, I guess the closest we'll ever get to that was the In the Flesh Tour (1999-2000) where he did five or six songs from the album. 

Roger has hinted that the extensive tour for The Wall will likely be his last. 

The 'In the Flesh' DVD was pretty amazing too, I need to re-watch that. And I've said this before on the forum, but the Wall concert in 2013 was one of the greatest experiences of my life. I caught him on the last leg from the tour.
KDS
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2015, 11:31:53 AM »

I saw The Wall in 2010, and it was great. 

I also caught him twice on the In the Flesh Tour and twice on the Dark Side tour. 

Unfortunately, I never saw Floyd. 

I see that David Gilmour is touring Europe this year.  I'm not holding my breath that he'll come to the US and play my neck of the woods. 

Speaking of which, on the subject of great obscure albums......

David Gilmour - On an Island (2006)
KDS
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2015, 05:57:42 AM »

Although they had a few hits, the great band, Grand Funk Railroad has been somewhat lost in the shuffle in the history of rock. 

Check out any of their early albums, especially

On Time

Grand Funk (The Red Album)

I'm Your Captain

E Pluribus Funk
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2015, 06:22:31 AM »

This is one people used to sing at me in the late 60's, early '70s but that I only heard within the past couple of years:

"Speak To Me, Clarissa" by Alan Trajan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBEqbagUI_4

rogerlancelot
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2015, 04:00:08 PM »

Here are a few off the top of my head:

The 5th Dimension: The Magic Garden (1967)
Al Stewart: Love Chronicles (1968)
Buffy Sainte-Marie: Illuminations (1969)
The Four Seasons: Genuine Imitation Life Gazette (1969)
Chicago: III (1970)
Rick Wright: Wet Dream (1978)
We Come In Peace: In Oneness (2014)
KDS
« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2015, 05:52:34 AM »

The Richard Wright Wet Dream album is pretty good. 

If anything it debunks the myth that his songwriting skills had dried up by the late 70s.  Its just that he couldn't get this lighter style of music onto a Floyd record at the time since Roger Waters was putting together the angry (yet excellent) Animals and The Wall. 
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx