-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 03:35:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: peteramescarlin.com
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Sid Caesar RIP
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Sid Caesar RIP  (Read 3661 times)
Smilin Ed H
« on: February 13, 2014, 12:09:51 AM »

http://fridaynightboys300.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/sid-caesar-rip.html
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 12:25:23 AM »

Pretty incredible he lived so long with all of the problems he had.  One of the legends of comedy and without him, we might have never been introduced to the genius of Mel Brooks and Carl Reiner.

bluesno1fann
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 12:30:14 AM »

R.I.P.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 01:50:00 AM »

Pretty incredible he lived so long with all of the problems he had.  One of the legends of comedy and without him, we might have never been introduced to the genius of Mel Brooks and Carl Reiner.

And maybe Woody Allen, Neil Simon and Larry Gelbart...
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 02:12:57 AM »

No!  Sad An innovator, and a genius. RIP.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 06:23:38 AM »

RIP Sid.

My parents were in their 20's and 30's when Sid was on TV in the 50's, and they would tell me about his show "Your Show Of Shows", "Uncle Milty", Gleason, Ernie Kovacs, Lucy and Desi, all the pioneers. But there really wasn't a way to see much of their work, if any, especially Caesar and Kovacs. And what was there may be just a handful of surviving kinescopes taken off the air, grainy but watchable.

So my first actual viewing of "Your Show Of Shows" as it was in the day was when the PBS station played a compilation film from the 70's or so called "Ten From Your Show Of Shows", and some of those clips are terrific, hilarious, whatever word we can apply.

Some of it gets lost in cultural translation, but there is one spoof of "This Is Your Life" (a reference totally lost to anyone born after 1980 at this point) where Sid gets called from the audience to have his life told, and he has to be chased through the studio by security because he doesn't want to be on TV. And then it turns into a weepy affair where Sid's long-lost relatives like "Uncle Goofy" come out to see him, and they all start weeping and sobbing. You have to see it...I believe it was voted one of the funniest comedy bits ever aired on TV only recently.

And Sid in one skit from the "Ten From..." compilation is watching a classical recital with Imogene Coca, dressed to the nines in evening wear, and where silence is required from the crowd, every little move Sid tries to make creates obnoxious noises which draws "shhhh!" sounds from the crowd and dirty looks from Imogene. Then the payoff for me was seeing him reach for a smoke, and he has one of those old-school lighters shaped like a handgun. But the thing that happened next made me cry laughing when I first saw that bit, again you'll need to watch it to see the humor.  Grin

Then about 10-15 years later, there was a big effort to revisit Sid and his show, and especially his writing staff which has already been mentioned, guys like Mel Brooks, Neil Simon, and a host of other now-legends of showbiz and comedy. So it got put into perspective even more, just how influential the guy was and how they were basically doing Vaudeville on a TV screen until guys like Sid and his writers made it a medium of its own, and basically wrote some of the rules that are still seen on TV comedy productions.

I'm sure there will be all kinds of compilations and clips shown in the next few weeks, definitely look for "Your Show Of Shows" though, to really see Sid in his prime and in his element.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 09:43:41 AM »

Uncle Goopy! My father saw that episode the first week he arrived in America and wanted to watch it again for decades. I also grew up hearing about Sid and Imogene, and boy did he grin like a lunatic when the DVDs come out and he was able to finally see his comedy holy grail again. Howie Morris cracked me the hell up in it as well... later on he voiced every other cartoon ever made.

Adored the Sunset Blvd parody... Aggravation Blvd. The longer Brooksian parodies seemed like dry runs for his later work!  

RIP Sid, Grand Master of Double Talk!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 09:46:37 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 05:05:00 PM »

I was able to find the other skit on YouTube, it's called "The Recital". I always loved this, and laugh every time I see it. Take a few minutes and watch how Sid Caesar could work a whole skit without a single word of dialogue, and stay tuned for the payoff in the last minute or so. RIP Sid, you made us laugh our asses off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3ivzcLEzUs

(Seriously, if you don't know Sid or have never seen his original skits, check this out and trace the other links to other clips like the "This Is Your Life" parody, it's worth it for the laughs.)  Grin

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 07:16:34 PM »

It wasn't that funny.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 08:55:11 PM »

It wasn't that funny.

I guess in a world where Chelsea Handler is successful and considered "funny", I guess Sid's old-time humor really is a lost art form. Sorry it didn't live up to jokes about yeast infections and skits based around dressing little people in silly costumes for cheap laughs.  Smiley

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 09:21:19 PM »

It wasn't that funny.

I guess in a world where Chelsea Handler is successful and considered "funny", I guess Sid's old-time humor really is a lost art form. Sorry it didn't live up to jokes about yeast infections and skits based around dressing little people in silly costumes for cheap laughs.  Smiley

who is Chelsea Handler?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 09:31:40 PM »

I think she's an Ernie Kovacs character.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2014, 09:33:35 PM »

It wasn't that funny.

who is Chelsea Handler?

Exactly!  Grin

Seriously though, if you're ever channel surfing after midnight and see a dirty-blonde middle aged woman randomly dropping film-biz names like "Jennifer Aniston" and "Diablo" whether they're part of the discussion or not, telling gynecology jokes with a panel of D-list commentators who no one has ever heard of yet the crowd cheers like they're Jack Nicholson and Meryl Streep, and looking like a combination of a college-dorm walk of shame and a bad hangover from a bottle of cheap vodka, you've found her show.  Smiley

Or just search the listings for "Chelsea Lately", but don't say I didn't warn 'ya.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: