gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:41:15 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Which do you prefer?
Surfin' Safari - 5 (20.8%)
Surfin' USA - 19 (79.2%)
Total Voters: 22

Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Twofer polls #16: Surfin' Safari vs. Surfin' USA  (Read 3970 times)
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« on: February 13, 2014, 06:33:35 AM »

From what I can tell #15 was the last twofer poll so this must be 16. Can't believe I overlooked this one originally.

To be honest I don't listen to these early albums that much these days. That said, Surfin USA has a cool, punky attitude and Brian showed his potential pretty early on with Lonely Sea so that's the album that gets my vote.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 06:35:37 AM »

USA. A nice improvement, on many levels.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 09:22:26 AM »

Surfin' USA is a million miles better, actually it's in my top 5 BB albums but then I don't view surf instrumentals as 'filler' like many people seem to.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 09:33:57 AM »

Surfin USA is such a great album. One of those that can seem a bit hit/miss when you think back on it, but then when you give it a spin you're reminded that it's amazing!

Surfin' Safari has a terrific cover though...
bluesno1fann
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 01:44:40 PM »

Surfin' USA may be obviously a superior album, but for Surfin' Safari, Cuckoo Clock, Country Fair, and Little Girl (You're My Miss America), I choose Surfin' Safari. I just find myself listening to Safari more.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 03:30:49 PM »

Surfin' USA may be obviously a superior album, but for Surfin' Safari, Cuckoo Clock, Country Fair, and Little Girl (You're My Miss America), I choose Surfin' Safari. I just find myself listening to Safari more.

There is a lot of good stuff on Surfin' Safari, despite the obvious (the singles). Little Miss America is lovely - Dennis and Mike are both terrific on it - and I really like Chug-a-Lug, especially the fairground-style organ. Moon Dawg is great too.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 02:24:33 AM »

Surprised at the lack of posts here.

Could it be because this once-popular poll series is no longer as popular as it was, or could it be that Pixletwin's Survivor threads have overshadowed this.

Who knows? But it's a damned shame as I'd love to see more Twofer polls, but at this rate it ain't gonna happen  Sad
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 05:51:37 AM »

Surprised at the lack of posts here.

Could it be because this once-popular poll series is no longer as popular as it was, or could it be that Pixletwin's Survivor threads have overshadowed this.

Who knows? But it's a damned shame as I'd love to see more Twofer polls, but at this rate it ain't gonna happen  Sad

Little Bird - These polls were a mixed bag. Some ran for multiple pages, others for just a few posts. It also occurred to me in retrospect that with all the cool survivor threads running at the moment the last thing the board needs is more polls so apologies for that - I guess I got swept away by your boundless, giant puppy-like enthusiasm, Little Bird!  Wink

I planned to do a few more but might wait until there's less activity on the board. In truth all the exciting ones are done now anyway so it would only be still cruisin/SIP (saving the best 'til last, right?) and then some combinations of BW solo albums, TWGMTR, Al's solo maybe. I wouldn't hold your breath is what I'm saying!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 08:36:56 AM »

Surfin' Safari

Both are extremely raw and I think the rawness on the first one is more "sincere".  The second album in a transition.  The production is a bit slicker but the songs (aside from the obvious exceptions) just aren't there yet.  The first album is the ultimate garage band album; just a bunch of kids living the dream.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2014, 02:40:38 AM »

I agree with those who like the surf instrumentals on SUSA. Can't beat the Carl--Dave machine. And you can feel that Brian is moving forward in leaps and bounds. (Love the perfect Four Seasons imitation in "Finders Keepers".) That said, i had to choose Surfin' Safari, if only because of "The Shift", whose structure is a true sign of things to come.

I like the 2fer polls----they encourage constructive criticism. The Survivor thingies are not for me----too negative.   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx